Start by marking “Now (Once, #3)” as Want to Read:
Now (Once, #3)

Now (Once #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  3,887 Ratings  ·  308 Reviews
Now is the third shocking, funny and heartbreaking book in Morris Gleitzman's Second World War series.

Sometimes facing the past is the bravest act of all...

ONCE
I didn't know about my grandfather Felix's scary childhood.

THEN
I found out what the Nazis did to his best friend Zelda.

NOW
I understand why Felix does the things he does.

At least he's got me. My name is Zelda too. T
Published June 5th 2012 by Henry Holt (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Now, please sign up.

Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Apr 22, 2010 Jenny / Wondrous Reads rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, signed
I'm a big fan of Morris Gleitzman's highly underrated WWII series, and have been anticipating this title since I first read Once and Then over a year ago. Now is set in present day Australia and, though it's not the best of the trilogy, it's a brilliant end to Felix's heartbreaking but ultimately hopeful story.

Gleitzman's series has been consistently shocking, funny and important, and has mostly focused on Felix as a young boy. In Now, Felix is an old man, with a successful life and a loving fam
Alex Baugh
May 02, 2012 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: world-war-2
‘Once I escaped from an orphanage to find Mum and Dad. Once I saved a girl called Zelda from a burning house. Once I made a Nazi with a toothache laugh. My name is Felix. This is my story.'

‘Then I had a plan for me and Zelda. Pretend to be someone else. Find new parents. Be safe forever. Then the Nazis came.’

‘Once I didn’t know about my grandfather Felix’s scary childhood.
Then I found out what the Nazis did to his best friend Zelda.
Now I understand why Felix does the things he does. At least he
Sam
Aug 19, 2012 Sam rated it liked it
This isn't the end of this series, there is a fourth book which has just been released called "After" which I'm really looking forward to reading as it continues Felix's story when he defeats the Nazis. So instead of the final book being voiced through Felix, it's all from Felix's grand-daughter Zelda's point of view. I liked this book but not as much as the other two, mainly because I liked Felix as a character and didn't have that same feeling for Zelda. I also think it's because there was so ...more
Jem
I'm not going to go into details about what the book is about etc. I'm sure somone else will do that, and honestly what's reading the book for? Anyway, back to the book. I LOVED it. It was amazing, I could go n forever. What I really loved was that Morris Gleitzman once again, used real life situations.

I cried when I read Once. I cried when I read Then. I cried when I read Now. Gleitzman is a very good author, he makes you beleive whole heartedly in what your reading. What really affected me th
Our Library Mornington
Felix is an 80 year old grandfather, a highly esteemed retired doctor who still struggles to come to terms with the nightmare that was his childhood. With the help of his 11 year old grand-daughter Zelda, Felix will face the ghosts of his past when together they face another frightening battle for survival – the bushfires of Victoria’s Black Saturday.

Australia has many children’s authors to be proud of, and Morris Gleitzman is one of my favourites. Again he has woven a story that sensitively and
Candy Gourlay
Mar 11, 2012 Candy Gourlay is currently reading it
I can tell from the first few chapters that this is not quite on par with Once and Then. But I'm willing to give it a chance. Will get back to it later.
ALPHAreader
Mar 20, 2012 ALPHAreader rated it it was amazing
Felix is hiding. His parents left him at a convent with other orphans, and then they fled. Because Felix is Jewish, and it’s not a very good time to be Jewish at the moment, what with the war and all.

When Felix receives a sign (in the form of a whole carrot) he is sure it means his parents are returning for him. So he takes his beloved notebook, full of fanciful stories, and he leaves the convent to go in search of his parents.

Along the way he sees the truth of the war. He watches people marchin
Teresa
Jun 27, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it

ONCE upon a time there was a 10 year old Jewish boy called Felix whose parents were taken away by the Nazis. THEN, his close friend and ally, Zelda, was taken away from him also. NOW, Felix is 80, living in Australia, and trying to protect another Zelda, his grandaughter who is also our narrator.

NOW is the conclusion to Morris Gleitzman's wonderful trilogy for children which brings us from 1940s Poland to present day Australia. The author insists that all three books can be read as stand-alones
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book is the third and last in the trilogy about Felix, a Holocaust survivor. The first two books, Once and Then, describe how Felix, a Jewish boy, escaped from the Nazis but lost his best friend Zelda, a little German girl. These books were told from the childish, naive point of view of Felix, and included vivid descriptions of Nazi horrors.

This book is set many years later in Australia, where Felix, now an old man, is living with his granddaughter Zelda, named after the little German girl
Paula
May 12, 2010 Paula rated it it was amazing
'Now' is the final book of the series following 'Once' and 'Then', the story of Felix Salinger, a young Jewish boy trying to keep himself and his friend, Zelda safe from the Nazis. 'Once and 'Then' brought tears to my eyes, as did 'Now'

In 'Now' Felix is now 80 years old, a retired surgeon and living in Australia, his grand~daughter Zelda comes to live with him when her parents (both doctors) go to Darfur. Zelda misses her parents and friends but adores living with her beloved grandfather and his
RLL52013_NicoleHill
Nov 02, 2013 RLL52013_NicoleHill rated it really liked it
Zelda is an eleven year old girl who is trying to live up to her name. She was named after her grandfather's best childhood friend. The original Zelda was a six year old girl who was killed by the Nazis. Zelda is sent to live with her grandfather, Felix, while her parents are working in Africa. Zelda adores Felix, but since moving to his house, she has become the target of bullying. When a wild fire breaks out near Felix's house, Felix orders Zelda to take the bus to South Melbourne promising th ...more
Brodief
Jun 25, 2013 Brodief rated it it was amazing
I decided to read the book "Now" by Morris Gleitzman because after reading the first two books in the series I had to finish the series.

The category on the bingo board that this book fits into is a book with a female main character.

The character I found most interesting was Zelda. Zelda is the main character. She always looks up to others and tries to be a great role-model for younger generations. She wants to be the best person she can possibly be and all of those things I think I can relate to
Faa
Sep 11, 2010 Faa rated it really liked it
I knew Felix all the way back when he was still a child, running from orphanage and lived inside the hell of the world. I also knew Zelda, I mean the other Zelda, who perished in the hands of Nazis back in Poland. I can say, that Felix and the first-Zelda were like dear friend to me. For me to be able to find out what happened to Felix after the war and the rest of his life, I am honoured!

Although the third book of Felix and Zelda was not as emotionally touched as the first and the second (Once
Erin Mcfarlane
Mar 03, 2014 Erin Mcfarlane rated it really liked it
Now is an interesting book about the Victorian bushfires a few years ago. I love the way it shows how Felix, who lived in World War Two, was surviving in his older years. This is the only book in the series based not mainly on Felix, but on his granddaughter Zelda(named after Felix's friend from WW2). I think having the book from a newer perspective changed what I thought about the book. Zelda is faced with a bully, who is really just trying to protect her younger brother, and she is a bit judge ...more
Hannah
Apr 07, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it
Now was a fairly good read.
It was well-written and there was nothing wrong with the plot, but I just didn't like the new main character (Zelda, named after the other Zelda)
I can't exactly put my finger on why I didn't like her all that much, just that I did. I also just don't really like the idea that Felix got old.
Also, I got confused with how Zelda came to be. In the whole of the book it is never mentioned that Felix adopted a child, or had one, but it is mentioned that Zelda is somehow his g
Emi
Feb 11, 2011 Emi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book was good, but the plot was extremely different to the first two books. I preferred the first two books story line, but this taught me a lot about Australia. I predicted in my mind what would happen, but I never imagined the fire, that was very of my prediction. This was very interesting, the title mad e a good first impression. I wonder who was who.
Hilary Woolf
Aug 28, 2016 Hilary Woolf rated it really liked it
This book can be read independently from the first two in the series. It skips 70 years in time. Felix is now 80 yrs old. I would have liked to have continued this story where the last book finished but from what I have read from reviews of the next book hopefully the story goes back to WW2 again. This story deals with bullying, natural disaster and loss. I missed reading about Felix as a child.
Jessica Aitoro
Mar 07, 2015 Jessica Aitoro rated it liked it
Jumps ahead to present time...I would have liked more continuity of Felix's story from the first two books...but there is a 4th that returns to what happened immediately after WW2, that was not located with the first three books at the book sale!
Konrad Chan
Nov 21, 2012 Konrad Chan rated it really liked it
Although the book lacks the adventurous and action content like in the past two books, it is a good story that looks at the life of Felix after his struggles in WWII and how Zelda has inspired Zelda (Felix's Granddaughter).
Amy
Jul 21, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
When I read this book i could not put it down, you will cry, you will laugh. It is a mixed emotion book. 5 shining stars
Lisa
Oh i loved this! Was so happy to see what happened to Felix after the Holocaust.
i can honestly say that I'm very sad to have finished the series, and I'll be quick to recommend it.
Latifah
Nov 08, 2014 Latifah rated it it was amazing
It's AS GOOD AS Then. READ IT!!
Debbie Kuhnle harris
Nov 23, 2016 Debbie Kuhnle harris rated it it was ok
I loved the first two books in this series. This one was hard to even get through. It was told from the perspective of an 11 year old girl. Much of the book made her seem incredibly immature for her age. The first third of the book had her using the word bully nonstop. She starts referring to a boy dog as her sister, which is just weird.

This book had little to do with the survival of Felix, which is what I would have expected to read about in a series. It was simply a bad story about a little g
melanie suares
Nov 28, 2016 melanie suares rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fitting end to this very special saga

Beautiful end story of Felix , he is an old man with his granddaughter, they find themselves in all sorts of trouble. Through collaboration and courage they make it through and heal both of their spirits. It really is a story that brings hope and gratitude to a life filled with extreme distress and sadness. What a lovely bookend to this series.
Toni
Oct 21, 2016 Toni rated it it was amazing
This author and these series of books are so under rated. The subject matter is tragic, but the author manages to share the content in a way that helps us understand grief, and why we do what we do. Told through the eyes of an 11 year old this book is suitable for young teen readers as well as adults. Beautifully written and so humble. Such a short novel - I didn't want it to end. I believe there are more books in the series and I will definitely be looking for them.
TurtleZ
Nov 12, 2016 TurtleZ rated it it was amazing
It's pretty dark and scary, and kind of confusing if you have only read 'Once' and 'Now', because you think that Felix is 70 and Zelda (number 2) is about 10.
Danielle
Dec 27, 2016 Danielle rated it really liked it
I had read this book in my English class and throughly enjoyed it, I will definitely read the rest of the series.
Tahlia
Dec 24, 2016 Tahlia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book
Harriet
Dec 31, 2016 Harriet rated it really liked it
A time change in this book, a different perspective but still fantastic and emotional.
Hay Hay
Nov 30, 2016 Hay Hay rated it really liked it
This book is very interesting for people who what to know how people feel when they are in danger
After before Now? 3 7 19 hours, 41 min ago
  • The Protected
  • Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust
  • The Blessing Cup
  • The Night of the Burning: Devorah's Story
  • Operation Fireball (Fish Finelli, #2)
  • Warriors in the Crossfire
  • Let Me Whisper You My Story
  • Out of Shadows
  • The Last Song
  • Selling Hope
  • The Dead I Know
  • Black Radishes (Black Radishes, #1)
Morris began his writing career as a screenwriter, and wrote his first children's novel in 1985. His brilliantly comic style has endeared him to children and adults alike, and he is now one of Australia's most successful authors, both internationally and at home. He was born in England in 1953 and emigrated to Australia in 1969 so he could escape from school and become a Very Famous Writer.

Before
More about Morris Gleitzman...

Once (5 books)