Start by marking “Cupid and the King: Five Royal Paramours” as Want to Read:
Cupid and the King: Five Royal Paramours

Cupid and the King: Five Royal Paramours

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The royal European courts were unsurpassed for their glamour, wealth, fame, danger, treachery, and politics. The royal mistress was at the center of that world -- admired for her beauty and sensuality; feared for the power she wielded; even vilified, envied, and resented. In times when women had very little power, the royal mistress had enormous influence, and yet she is s ...more
Published January 3rd 2006 by Touchstone (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Cupid and the King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cupid and the King

Victoria and Albert by Sarah FergusonCrowned in a Far Country by Princess Michael of KentThe Garden At Highgrove by Charles, Prince of WalesThe Serpent and the Moon by Princess Michael of KentCupid and the King by Princess Michael of Kent
Royalty as Authors - Nonfiction
5th out of 113 books — 6 voters
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa GregoryKatherine by Anya SetonForever Amber by Kathleen WinsorGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Best Books About Mistresses
159th out of 328 books — 615 voters

More lists with this book...

PurplyCookie
Princess Michael of Kent, has chronicled the lives of five of the most famous (or infamous) maitresses en titre in history:

Nell Gwyn grew up in the gutter, the daughter of an alcoholic prostitute. But through bawdy charm and talent, she became a comedic actress on the London stages, and caught the eye of Charles Stuart. Though she wasn't as high-born as his other ladies, "Nellie" retained a place in Charles' heart until his death, and was faithful to him for the rest of her short life.

Madame de
Amelia
I was all set to give Cupid and the King three stars, when I found out that quite a bit of the information on Lola Montez was wrong. And what, I ask you, is the point of a biography which is wrong?

I thought I would fill in the author page for Lola Montez and just googled a couple of bits I couldn't remember from the book, only to find that several of the "facts" were inaccurate. Her birthplace? Wrong. Her date of birth? Wrong. The title and subject matter of a book she wrote? Wrong. I haven't a
Jill Hutchinson
An interesting book about the women who often shaped the rule of Kings and Princes....all of whom any reader of history recognizes. Of the five women who appear in this book, two probably actually loved their paramours (the Pompadour and Marie Walewska) and three (Nell Gwyn, Lola Montez, and Lillie Langtry) were opportunists and basically high priced prostitutes. The early years in the life of the royal courts of Great Britain and the Continent were based on gaining favor and position through an ...more
Karishma
The book was easy to read, and informative - because when I read the book, I was clueless about the royal mistresses of any nation, and this book gave me a glimpse into that life.

I have always been fond of biographies after reading this book, and therefore I remember it with more pleasure than it is due.
Jodi
Jul 19, 2007 Jodi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lovers of royal biographies
Shelves: biography, nonfiction
I like this author more than I probably should. She's always a little biased in favor of her subjects and leaves out quite a bit of info that rounds out there character and would make her books that much better. Still, she has a gossipy tone and revels in details that appeal to the tabloid lover in me. I've read biographies of several of the women profiled in this book that are better, but the book is still an enjoyable read.
Nina
I picked up this book to determine if Princess Michael of Kent could write. Conclusion - not really, but it is definitely readable - an account of five paramours of different European monarchs (Madame de Pompadour, Lola Montez, Marie Walewsksa, Nell Gwynn, Diane de Poitiers) - but it does not shed any new light on their lives. It's simply a rehashing of other biographers' accounts.
Grumpylibrarian
The book is pretty repetitive (literally, in many sections) and HRH Princess Michael of Kent seems to stretch the reality of these relationships to suit her thesis.

It was interesting, but I don't really believe it was historically accurate or intelligent. That said, I bought it for 1GBP, so it was a good enough deal.
Francheska Gonzales
I thought this was a great look into the concubines of the past. Stories of five brave and at sometimes devious women and their struggle to keep the love and power of their king. I would definitely say if you enjoy learning about history especially from these era's then this is a good read.
Mark Gaulding
The Princess certainly has the credentials of perspective to write about the subject. Very good book. I'm a anglophile, royal-phile and obsessed with famous courtesans, so this was a perfect fit. I was very pleasantly surprised with the author's abilities.
Susan
Aug 24, 2011 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 900
It's kind of hilarious that Charles II added his many illegitimate sons to the rolls of British nobility as Dukes. Now every time I read a regency romance with a Duke in it, I'm going to be wondering if he's descended from one of Charles' bastards.
susmita
mistresses,love,lies,betrayal, all sum up... a typical historical book dealing with the the then monarchs... i was not surprised though.
Elena
Such engaging stories about the lovers of the most famous Kings. Powerfully written, engrossing to read... Keen to reread it!
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Bryanne
Bryanne marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Elena
Elena marked it as to-read
Annie Grantham
Annie Grantham marked it as to-read
Reno
Reno marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Bethany Nelson
Bethany Nelson marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Cesssi
Cesssi marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Billy Bob
Billy Bob marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Baroness Marie Christine Anna Agnes Hedwig Ida née von Reibnitz,is a member of the British Royal Family.

She is married to Prince Michael of Kent, who is a grandson of King George V.

Princess Michael is an interior designer and author, having published several books on the royal families of Europe.
More about Princess Michael of Kent...
The Serpent and the Moon: Two Rivals for the Love of a Renaissance King Crowned in a Far Country: Portraits of Eight Royal Brides The Queen Of Four Kingdoms