Start by marking “Baby Brother's Blues” as Want to Read:
Baby Brother's Blues

Baby Brother's Blues

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  898 ratings  ·  48 reviews
When Regina Burns married Blue Hamilton, she knew he was no ordinary man. A charismatic R&B singer who gave up his career to assume responsibility for the safety of Atlanta’s West End community, Blue had created an African American urban oasis where crime and violence were virtually nonexistent. In the beginning, Regina enjoyed a circle of engaging friends and her own ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by One World/Ballantine (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Baby Brother's Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baby Brother's Blues

Melissa Andrews
This book tried to cover so many topics: inner-city violence, politics, single parenthood, girls-who-have-to-turn-to-stripping-to-survive, renegades, men-on-the-DL, light-skinned-blacks-who-take-advantage-of-the-race, corrupt cops. It was a lot - probably too much.

I couldn't get into the whole past lives thing, nor could I buy into the idea of vigilante justice; however, I loved the idea of West End. My dilemma is: is it okay for us to kill someone who killed or raped or stole? What about restit
Tracy Darity
Baby Bother’s Blues by Pearl Cleage is the third in the West End series. I have not read the second book in the series because when I picked up Some Things I Never Thought I Would Do, along with Baby Brother’s Blues, I did not know they were part of a series. When you love an authors’ work you tend to bypass the synopsis because you will read anything by them. Pearl Cleage is one of those authors for me.

Baby Brother’s Blues picks up two years after Some Things I Never Thought I Would Do ends. Th
Tasha
From start to finish I struggled with this book. Honestly I read it two weeks ago and all I can remember is skipping through to pages to get to the end. Funny thing is, I did not feel as if I missed any important parts.
As I write this I still cannot remember the plot behind this novel. Very sad because I hear Cleage is a great author. This is on my do not recommend list unfortuantely.
Melissa
Yea. This is probably my least favorite Cleage book. It's not that she doesn't do a great job, it's that it craps on parts of the "Some Things..." and I hated that. I'm not a person that needs everything to be happy but come on.

I would have liked this better if I hadn't been coming off the high of the first one.
Barbara
As a fan of Pearl Cleague this book was a resounding disappointment. It seemed to be a thinly disguised bit of propaganda for the authors viewpoint rather than an enjoyable or enlightening work of fiction.
Mocha Girl
Pearl Cleage returns to the West End of Atlanta, the crime-free utopia where ex-crooner Blue Hamilton and trusty sidekick, General Richardson, keep the peace ala "Godfather" vigilante style. Fans were first introduced to Blue, his wife, Regina, and other West End residents in Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do and Babylon Sisters.

In Baby Brother's Blues, we meet Wes Jamerson aka Baby Brother, an Army deserter who breezes into the West End in a stolen car in search of Zora, an anti-war coed he m
Arzella
I forgot that I already knew Pearl Cleage. I was reading the book and I kept telling my friend that it sounds like "What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day". That said, it is a different story. Pearl Cleage just creates the same kind of peace in a novel with her word choices.

Baby Brother's Blues: A Novel, tackles many of the social issues faced in Black America. It doesn't however, hit you over the head with warnings and proverbs. It simply gives you a 360 view of the issues and the people invo
Nakia
This book was very interesting. Gangsters, politicians, police, businessmen, strippers, college students, cheating husbands, ungrateful wives, and a modern day Robin Hood, all living in a small section of Atlanta, and thrown into the pot together. What happens when a degenerate, selfish, army deserter who will do anything to get what he wants, enters their domain? It all can be found in this book.

I've always loved how Pearl Cleage can weave a story together filled with lessons on how the negativ
Nancy
Should have read this one first between SEEN IT ALL AND DONE THE REST but oh well. The first story that takes place in Atlanta's West End-- a decent Black community that is taken care of by Blue Hamilton, a protector. This story has many layers, domestic violence by returning vets from Iraq, political corruption, drugs, men on the down low, neighborhood crime (home invasions) and those that cleaned up when the answer was not so easy.

Pearl Cleage puts in all together beautiful and creates a stor
Britni Danielle
I wanted to love it because I love several of Pearl Cleage's other books, but this one had too many story lines, characters, and plots. I finished it, but it wasn't easy.
Deanna
Jan 15, 2008 Deanna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
The sequel to “Somethings I thought I’d never do.” Great book. She goes into much more depth about all of the characters including Aunt Abbie, Peachy, Aretha and Senator Hargrove. She introduces new characters including Baby Brother. The book is amazing. There was a small dry spell in the middle but it was necessary to build up to the ending. If you loved the first book, you will love this one.
Amanda
This book was just okay. I found that there was a lot of different story lines, and a lot of new characters that weren't in the previous novels. I enjoyed the previous novels from this series, and I will continue reading because I do enjoy the main characters: Blue, Regina, Precious Hargrove, et al. The ending was a bit of a shock. Not a bad read, but the not the best out of the series.
Katrina
Reginia is a sister that has hit rock bottom but in her darkest moment she finds herself and love. I absolutely loved the spiritual element of this book. I fell in love with Blue amilton who in the words of Dead Prez is "Revolutionary but Gangsta." We also meet up with one of the young ladies in the Sewing Circle form What Looks Like Crazy!
Mayema
I listened to the book read by the author, it started out with a good plot line, but as the story progressed there were too many plots to keep them all exciting and interesting. The characters were more like six degrees of separtion, and the end was not what I expected. It was more of a fade away than a true ending.
Darlene
There were several storylines in this book that all came together at the end. It did help to complete the first book "Somethings I never Thought I'd Do". Cleage never fails to keep the reader interested. In moving towards the end of the book, I couldn't put the book down.
Carmela
For me, this book really highlighted the depravity of men as a whole. It was all about the worst parts of MAN - and not like humankind man, but like MALES. It left me with very little faith in men. It was sad. The wonderful Pearl Cleage should have kept this story to herself.
Jill Bates-moore
Good, easy read. It would have gotten five stars, except that I recall being annoyed that Regina's character wasn't a strong figure in the book. The male characters are well developed, but Regina's character development felt somewhat stunted.
Ade Oluyemisi
This book makes me want to know more about Blue. Love that Pearl Cleage address the issues that are faced in this book. Would love to say more but let me say this, there is strength in facing the truth of who you are on the inside at the core.
Carl
So so book that explores the dynamic of an African American community. At times, it panders to expected plot twists and does not really allow the characters to break out of roles we have seen before. This is an enjoyable summer read.
Erika
It was ok. I listened to this one and it was read by the author. She was an interesting reader. There were some shocking parts, but the ending was rather anticlimatic because she introduced so many characters and then they disappeared.
Cha
an easy read. the idea of a safe zone in the inner-city is intriguing but not believable. i do like the fact that all of the characters are multi-dimensional,i.e. none are perfect, except Blue, of course. I kinda don't like him.
Pamela Greer
Dec 18, 2008 Pamela Greer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
This is a good story centering on Atlanta and bringing in characters from many of the early novels of Ms. Cleage. She focuses on corruption in government, the afterlife, the war in Iraq and much more. good read.
Tori
Creative -- the way she wove in the "past lives" storyline without ever committing either way (it's true/not true). The characeters were crisply drawn and the read fun. Who doesn't love -- and fear -- Blue?
A. Jones
I enjoyed the story (Ms. Cleage can tell a great story), but I was disappointed. I wanted more on the relationship between Blue and Regina. :( The General's storyline was magnificent.
Danelle
Soooo GOOD, from beginning to end. I loved Savoring every page
Kim
Just as gritty as book 2 of the West End books. Each book features one of the residents of the neighborhood and how they interconnect. Well done.
Charlene
I have meet Ms Pearl Cleage and have enjoyed several of her books of whom you can relate as a reader and keep you interested until the last page.
LJ
Wow...had a few surprising twists that I wasn't quite expecting. I think this is my least favorite so far in this West End series...
Lawana
Another fine Pearl Cleage novel. I like the way the story built. I think the wrap up was a little hasty, but I enjoyed reading it.
Lethea
Pretty good book. Provided more insight into Blue, Abbie, Peachy, Regina and a few other familiar characters. Worth reading.
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • You Know Better: A Novel
  • Sunday Brunch: A Novel
  • A Sin and a Shame
  • Good Hair
  • Boaz Brown
Pearl Cleage (born December 7, 1948) is an African-American author whose work, both fiction and non-fiction, has been widely recognized. Her novel What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day was a 1998 Oprah Book Club selection. Cleage is known for her feminist views, particularly regarding her identity as an African-American woman. Cleage teaches drama at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia.

Pearl Cl
More about Pearl Cleage...
What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day (Idlewild, #1) I Wish I Had a Red Dress (Idlewild #2) Babylon Sisters Some Things I Never Thought I'd Do Seen It All and Done the Rest