Start by marking “Calculated Risk: The Extraordinary Life of Jimmy Doolittle — Aviation Pioneer and World War II Hero” as Want to Read:

Famous for leading the Tokyo Raid, America's first strike against Japan in World War II, Jimmy Doolittle led a remarkable life as an American pilot. This firsthand account by his granddaughter reveals an extraordinary individual—a scientist with a doctorate in aeronautical engineering from MIT, an aviation pioneer who was the first to fly across the United States in less t ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Santa Monica Press (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Calculated Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calculated Risk

Gerry
Dec 06, 2012 Gerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
I really enjoyed this book as I had previously read "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again" by Gen. James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle and Col. C.V. Glines. This book sort of dives into the personal later/adult life of Gen. Doolittle in both a touching and sentimental manner to which Gen. Doolittle sort of shied away from within his Autobiography. The Autobiography comes out the year before his death and this book dove tails his complete story. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to also read the ...more
Janice
Mar 08, 2011 Janice rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. I wondered if my father crossed paths with him, and will never know but there were both in WWII and both pilots, although Doolittle is about 20 years older than my dad. Very well written and lots of pictures which are nice. A amazing couple...husband AND wife! A good read, and goes quickly.
Carl Bailey
Feb 04, 2014 Carl Bailey rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Very well written to keep you in the book. I got into history because of my interest in aviation, yet I did not know a tenth of what Jimmy Doolittle did. A great book about an incredible man.
Virginia
Aug 17, 2008 Virginia rated it really liked it
I loved the book because it not only told what Jimmy Doolittle was like but also about his wife and her encouragement to help him succeed. She is a wonderful woman and came to our book club and talked about this book and the next one she is writing.
Bobbie Mission Viejo
Feb 03, 2013 Bobbie Mission Viejo rated it it was amazing
This was a very fascinating book about General Doolittle. It was a fun way to get a history lesson and learn about American involvement in WWII. Gen. Doolittle had an important role in the development of American aviation and this book lovingly tells his personal and professional story.
Jon Klug
Dec 22, 2014 Jon Klug rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This is an interesting examination of the life of Jimmy Doolittle by his granddaughter. I read this several years ago when the author visited USAFA. As I recall, it was a good biography, but not certainly an academic work – perhaps a good source for airpower studies.
Daniel
Dec 13, 2007 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Doolittle was extraordinary.

He worked with Sperry to develop gyro instruments - that we still use today.

He was the first person to take off - fly - then land BLIND - WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SEE OUTSIDE. All done with the new gyro instruments that he developed.
Bart
Apr 03, 2009 Bart rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed learning more about Jimmy Doolittle. He lived an amazing life and his leadership of the Doolittle Raiders helped turn the tide in WWII.
Steve
Jan 21, 2013 Steve rated it liked it
Interesting biography of Jimmy Doolittle who was famous for planning and leading the Tokyo Raid during World War II.
Peter
Nov 29, 2010 Peter rated it liked it
Interesting overall, but lack a good bit of detail on the specifics of his career as a pilot. For example did not at all go into detail about his work in IFR flying.
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2012
John
John rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2015
John Dorcey
John Dorcey rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
Steve Abbott
Steve Abbott rated it it was amazing
Dec 15, 2014
Claudia
Claudia rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Heather Rotunda
Heather Rotunda rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2012
Ted
Ted rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2012
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2012
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Elisabeth Kauffman
Elisabeth Kauffman rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Helga
Helga rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2014
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Shauna
Shauna rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2015
Paul Plourde
Paul Plourde rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014
Scott Baumgartner
Scott Baumgartner rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
The Power of Words
The Power of Words rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2011
Francesca
Francesca rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Ted
Ted rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2014