Calculated Risk: The Extraordinary Life of Jimmy Doolittle � Aviation Pioneer and World War II Hero

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Famous for leading the Tokyo Raid, America's first strike against Japan in World War II, Jimmy Doolittle led a remarkable life as an American pilot. This firsthand account by his granddaughter reveals an extraordinary individual—a scientist with a doctorate in aeronautical engineering from MIT, an aviation pioneer who was the first to fly across the United States in less t...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Santa Monica Press (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Calculated Risk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calculated Risk

Carl Bailey
Excellent. Very well written to keep you in the book. I got into history because of my interest in aviation, yet I did not know a tenth of what Jimmy Doolittle did. A great book about an incredible man.
Gerry
I really enjoyed this book as I had previously read "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again" by Gen. James H. "Jimmy" Doolittle and Col. C.V. Glines. This book sort of dives into the personal later/adult life of Gen. Doolittle in both a touching and sentimental manner to which Gen. Doolittle sort of shied away from within his Autobiography. The Autobiography comes out the year before his death and this book dove tails his complete story. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to also read the...more
Janice
Really enjoyed this book. I wondered if my father crossed paths with him, and will never know but there were both in WWII and both pilots, although Doolittle is about 20 years older than my dad. Very well written and lots of pictures which are nice. A amazing couple...husband AND wife! A good read, and goes quickly.
Bobbie Mission Viejo
This was a very fascinating book about General Doolittle. It was a fun way to get a history lesson and learn about American involvement in WWII. Gen. Doolittle had an important role in the development of American aviation and this book lovingly tells his personal and professional story.
Daniel
Doolittle was extraordinary.

He worked with Sperry to develop gyro instruments - that we still use today.

He was the first person to take off - fly - then land BLIND - WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SEE OUTSIDE. All done with the new gyro instruments that he developed.
Virginia
I loved the book because it not only told what Jimmy Doolittle was like but also about his wife and her encouragement to help him succeed. She is a wonderful woman and came to our book club and talked about this book and the next one she is writing.
Peter
Interesting overall, but lack a good bit of detail on the specifics of his career as a pilot. For example did not at all go into detail about his work in IFR flying.
Bart
I really enjoyed learning more about Jimmy Doolittle. He lived an amazing life and his leadership of the Doolittle Raiders helped turn the tide in WWII.
Steve
Interesting biography of Jimmy Doolittle who was famous for planning and leading the Tokyo Raid during World War II.
Chris Ross
Chris Ross marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Sue Davidson
Sue Davidson marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Relstuart
Relstuart marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Towers
Towers added it
Feb 04, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Frank Imler
Frank Imler marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Robert Tucker
Robert Tucker marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2013