Babymouse: Dragonslayer

Babymouse: Dragonslayer (Babymouse #11)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  912 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Get ready for the next big epic fantasy . . .

In a distant kingdom a growing darkness falls over the land.

One is called to defend . . . to bring hope . . . to slay the Mighty Dragon. . . .

Could it be . . . Babymouse? Find out when Babymouse leads her fellow Mathletes in the quest of a lifetime, a death-defying fight to win back both her school’s honor and the coveted GOLDE...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2009)

Letticia
i am currently reading this book and so far its good
Amelia.tullyhotmail.co.uk
This book is an amazing graphic novel. So if you like cartoons and lots of pictures I would recommend this would be a match made in heaven!!!

At first I thought was a baby book but then I got really interested!
Also I like the way the Jenifer had so many creative ideas. This book is just pink, white and black so beware if you think it is odd. I don't want to be rood... but this story is more for girls. But anyone can read!!!

I just want to say I hope that when you read that you enjoy!!!
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Cybils nominee.

Comments: Babymouse is daydreaming about being an epic dragonslayer as in fantasy books when she receives an F- on her math test. Her teacher helpfully signs her up for the Mathletes team in exchange for ignoring her abysmal grade. Babymouse and math just do not get along and while her team prepares for the challenge against the current champions, the Owlgorithms, Babymouse just can't stop daydreaming; transplanting herself into Narnia and Middle Earth. Another...more
Becky
Babymouse has quite the imagination and uses it freely, almost too freely. She finds herself drifting and not really paying attention in math class, thus earning herself an F- on a math assignment. F-?! Woah, Babymouse. Her teacher promises to forget the bad grade if Babymouse will give up her lunch periods to compete with the Mathletes in the upcoming Math Olympics!

This installment of this pink, cupcake filled graphic novel features fun parodies of many popular fantasy books. Like these classic...more
Dolly
Jul 07, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read graphic novels
This is the eleventh book in the Babymouse series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm. The plot centers on Babymouse's experiences on the math team, something I am all-too familiar with. I only participated in our high school's math club for a year, but it was just as dorky as I expected it to be, but in a fun sort of way.

As usual, things don't work out very smoothly for Babymouse, but nonetheless, it's an entertaining story. I loved the literary references, even the snide ones. (view spoiler)...more
Lady Knight
Babymouse is a great way to get kids to read. Despite it's excessive use of pink (everything but the text is pink!) even boys seem to have no problem reading Babymouse. The text is simple and the comic book format allows much of the text to be explained by the pictures.

In this installment of the series, Babymouse finds herself failing math. To make up for an F- on a test, her teacher makes her join the school's Mathaletes team. Babymouse hates math so much that she often finds herself daydreami...more
Liz
One word. ADORABLE. Oh how I wish these books had been around when I was a little girl. I picked up this title while browsing at the bookstore, and the cover was just too cute to pass up.

Full of daydreams, references to classic fantasy literature, and a positive message for young girls who THINK they're no good at math, Babymouse is smart, hip, and totally cute.

Recommended for: Young girls (k-5) who spend more time daydreaming than studying. You never know, this book might just inspire them to p...more
Ch_beverlyatwood
Title: Babymouse Dragonslayer
Author: Jennifer L. Holm & Matthew Holm
Illustrator: Matthew Holm
Publisher: Random House
Year originally published: 2009
Translator (if applicable):
Approximate Interest Level/Reading Level: Ages 5-8
Format (picture book, audio book, book read online, chapter book/novel, graphic novel): Graphic Novel
Rating system: **
Brief summary: An imaginative mouse who likes to read heroic fantasy novels finds herself on the school math team as it prepares to compete for the covete...more
Rebecca
This one was a lot of fun - I particularly liked the ending this time. (view spoiler)
Allison
Holm, Jennifer L. Babymouse Dragonslayer 96 pgs. Random House Books for Young Readers Language~G; Sexual Content~G Violence~G

Billed as “The next big epic fantasy!,” Babymouse #11 does not disappoint! After failing a math quiz, Babymouse is sent to work with the Mathletes. This group calls themselves the Fighting Fractions. Babymouse is unsure of her abilities and doubts herself. After much study and practice the Math Olympics arrives. Will all her work pay off or will she fail again?! Don’t miss...more
Linda
I don't know how many of these I've read, but this is my favorite so far. I actually think it's almost for older readers. Who else would get the jokes, like the math teams' names: The Fighting Fractions, The Hypotemouses, and the Owlgorithms? This concerns Babymouse's low grades in math, so her teacher sends her to be on the math team, where she has to work on math every day at lunch. There are multiple ways to be successful in school, like in math, and this book shows the triumph of Babymouse a...more
Abby Johnson
The 11th Babymouse installment is a hit! When Babymouse gets an F- on a math quiz, her teacher offers her extra credit to join the Mathletes and practice her arithmetic. But for Babymouse, winning a Mathlete competition is like finding the Holy Grail - nearly impossible! She keeps foraying into the fantasy world of the thick novels she likes to read. (My favorite? "Another Story About an Orphan Who Has Magical Abilities and Saves the World from the Forces of Darkness (Book One of Twelve)" . High...more
Holly
I loved this Babymouse story! Poor Babymouse is recruited onto the math quiz team after receiving an F- on a test. She is a self-proclaimed failure at math (and the narrator agrees). How will she ever survive? This one is full of fantasy story allusions - The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, etc. Such funny lines, too, from the geometry whiz, Lucy, the bat (I love the upside down speech bubbles from her) and the narrator. I love the evil Owlgorithms!
Jamal
Not my normal sort of reading, but my son got it from the library and told me to read it. He said that I would like it because it as kind of like The Hobbit. It did have references to pop culture fantasy such as Lord of the Rings, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Harry Potter and Eragon. What a liked most about the book was that it promoted a female protagonist as someone who did math, even if it was not what she wanted to do. Overall it was a cute enjoyable quick read. Thanks son.
Paula Griffith
I always love me some Babymouse! For this adventure, Babymouse has to fantasize her way out of a big math problem. She failed her math test, so her teacher makes her an offer she can't refuse--join the Mathletes who meet during lunch and the test grade will disappear. ...so after some soul searching and fantasizing, Babymouse makes her way into the Mathletes room to discover a new group of friends, and a possible new destiny. Recommended for grades 3-6. Everyone needs a little Babymouse!
Angie
So why did I wait so long to actually pick up a Babymouse? Well, one reason is they were always checked out at school!

Now I will look forward to school starting (in a couple weeks! NOT YET!) so that I can talk to kids about it. I'm dying to know ... do they notice all of the double entendre? These are so clever! It doesn't matter if they don't cause the story still fits--Babymouse joins the Mathletes. But the references to LoTR and the Chronicles of Narnia were hilarious.
Jim
another babymouse adventure, this timew her daydreaming gets her punished by being stuck on the school math olympics team. along the way she visits narnia (and finds an understanding teacher) and fights sauron. she, of course, becomes victorios by trusting herself.

iloved this one because of the tolkien and csl references. how could a kid, especially a girl or one afraid of math not love it?
Steve
I had never heard of this children's comic series until my friend Jason gave me this volume along with a stack of other stuff. It's not an "all-ages series" becuase I don't think there's much here to appeal to adults. But I think it would be a great series for kids, especially young girls who are imaginative and creative (in other words, girls who are sometimes prone to daydreaming while in class :) ).
Kelly
This one was better than #10. It was really funny again. I really liked the illustrations like the right triangle mountains and the reference to different books. The only weird part was how it starts and ends about dragons but the main story is about the math olympics. I wasn't quite sure how it fit except that she defeated them both. I would have liked a full-on dragon book.
Mandy
5Q, 4P
A distinctive visual style combined with a strong storyline, makes this a good choice for older beginning readers. The storyline and visuals allow for reading comprehension along several levels, and play on words increase depth and vocabulary. However, the visual style takes some getting used to and some readers may not enjoy the pink/white/black stylization.
Jenna White
Personally, I don't particularly like comic books and therefore was not quite into this book. I think comic books are more for fun and pleasure reading. I don't think that a book like this could ever be used in a classroom setting. Of course, reading should be fun for students but I just don't think that comicbook-like books could be used in an educational manner.
Wayne
Another cute one. A little Lord of the Rings mixed in with Narnia and a contest for Babymouse, who is terrible at Math.That's really all you need to know. This is only the second one of these I've read, but they could be addicting. Beware !Early readers surely would love these. The art style perfectly fits the story.
Deborah
Babymouse scores an F- in math class. Her teacher tells her she can improve her grade if she helps the Mathletes team win the Golden Slide Rule. Is Babymouse the teammate prophesied to break the Owlgorithms winning streak or will she set the team up for failure once again?

Cute.

3rd-5th grade.
Jon Cox
Fun little graphic novella. It reminds me a bit of our babysitter, who also did Mathletes (but who is better at Math than Babymouse). I didn't understand what was unusual about how she showed her work. But other than that, the book was tight.
Pinky
In this Baby Mouse adventure, she finds herself competing for the Mathletes even though she thinks she is terrible at math. With the help of an encouraging coach and her creative thinking, Baby Mouse saves the day. Another great story.
Jean L.
What a fun way to reference LOTR, Narnia, and Harry Potter while making math entertaining. I'm still not sure if this one or "Babymouse: The Musical" is my favorite. May Babymouse continue to have many, many new experiences!
Bethe
Bookaday #37. Babymouse brings her love of reading fantasy books to the mathlete team to save the day and return honor and the golden slide rule to her school. This is a clever series, always a fun, quick read.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
brilliant on so many levels. I am pairing this up with Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menance, and also with The Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes. It will be great for Math Field Day.
Babymouse joins mathletes! Which I never would have guessed that's what this was about. I loved the whole LOTR and Narnia references (even though I don't like Narnia itself). Yay Babymouse!
Amy Carr
I just really love Babymouse. Love, love, love. She is funny and spunky and thoroughly entertaining! She can do no wrong in our house. Really...you can even ask the boys! Hilarious stuff!
  • Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3)
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Adventures in Cartooning: How to Turn Your Doodles Into Comics
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 2: What Makes You Happy (Amelia Rules! #2)
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Giants Beware!
  • Fashion Kitty
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • Benny and Penny in The Big No-No!
  • The Baby-Sitters Club: Kristy's Great Idea (Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Sticky Burr: Adventures in Burrwood Forest (Sticky Burr #1)
Queen of the World! (Babymouse, #1) Babymouse: The Musical (Babymouse, #10) Gray Highway: An American Ufo Journey Brave New Pond (Squish, #2) Cupcake Tycoon (Babymouse, #13)