Start by marking “The Fractal Murders” as Want to Read:
The Fractal Murders

The Fractal Murders

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Jane Smythe, a math professor specializing in fractal geometry, is shocked to learn that three professors with the same specialty have died amid mysterious circumstances. That's where Pepper Keane, an ex-Marine turned PI with an encyclopedic knowledge of rock 'n' roll, comes in. He finds himself attracted to Professor Smythe and is determined to discover the root of these ...more
Published July 31st 2007 by Mysterious Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Fractal Murders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fractal Murders

Christine
Murder plagues the community of fractal geometers. Uninspiring. I thought the sleuth, "Pepper Keane," was a jerk and the story lacked suspense. I finished it last week and I don't remember who dun it! Admittedly that's the type of detail I wouldn't remember but still.

The saving graces were the elements of fractal geometry and philosophy, which set this book apart from the literally thousands of uninspiring murder-mysteries out there. On a scale from "Ugh" to "Wow!," it gets an "Eh."
Sharonm
First in the Pepper Keane series. I enjoyed the math connection, and the main characters were well developed. I finished it wanting more about the love interest. The writing style was a little annoying, but suited the main character. It was told in first person, and Keane’s voice was clear. Short “sentences” missing nouns abounded. I could envision a sort of gruff guy talking like that – but what’s with the name? There was a last minute twist regarding the murderer, but it made sense.
Loy

I really enjoyed this book
The main character was funny
The subject matter fractal numbers was a little hard to understand but the mystery was very good

Worth the read
Kathryn
The premise, to the non-mathematical type, may at first sound like a groaner. Lawyer-turned-private eye Pepper Keane of Colorado accepts what seems like an unsolvable case of three murders. His client, the no-nonsense math professor Jayne Smyers, is convinced the deaths of three peers is related to their expertise in fractal geometry, which she goes on to explain in great detail. Even Pepper, it seems, is scratching his head.

Nonetheless, the action that ensues in THE FRACTAL MURDERS is guarantee
Alexis
**1/2The plot of this murder mystery is believable, without major plot holes, and you learn a (very) few things about math. But it's a P.I. story, and the first thing you need is a good - no, a great protagonist. That is, a guy who smokes like a volcano, drinks bourbon in underground bars full of mobsters and hookers, wears long coats and 30's hats, maybe falls for a femme fatale, and lives alone in a small apartment. His friends are scumbags, criminals, whores, maybe a couple of cops.
Iiiiiiis
LJ
THE FRACTAL MURDERS (Private Investigator) – VG
Mark Cohen – 1st book
Mysterious Press, 2004 – Hardcover
Math professor Jayne Smyers asserts that the probability of three other professors, experts in fractal geometry, must be related, despite what the FBI says. So she hires investigator Pepper Keane, a former Marine JAG and prosecuting attorney, to look for the link, and the killer.
*** Pepper is intelligent and fully dimensional, a man still on the search for who he is. There are wonderful relation
Cathe Olson
Private Investigator Pepper Keane is hired by an attractive math professor to investigate the murders of several fellow fractal geometry specialists which the authorities have deemed unrelated.

This was not most well-written book I've read, especially the awful dialogue, but the personality of the main character made it quite an enjoyable read.
Deborah
The mystery is good, and the main character and his pals are likeable. However, there is way too much detail in some places. We don't need to know how much he paid for an ice cream cone, or what every character in evey scene is wearing.
Pat
Pepper Keane mystery series.
Good, better than average.
Pepper is a former attorney, now investigator. A lot like Spencer.
Meets professor girlfriend Jayne.
Revolves around 3 murders, FBI and math.
Patty
This is a great book. Pepper Keane is a former Marine, former federal prosecutor and current Private Investigator living near Boulder, Colorado.

When a local mathematics professor contacts him to look in to the deaths of three other mathematics professors, all of whom specialize in a very narrow field of mathematics called Fractal Geometry. At first glace they appear to be non-related incidents but as Pepper starts looking closer he finds some very disturbing information.

Pepper is an interesting
Larry
An OK private eye novel is made a bit more interesting by its connection with the upper levels of mathematics.
Phil Hodge
Good murder mystery, a few soft places in the logic, but a good chance to learn about about fractals.
Michael crage
This was a very good book, well written easy to read and the math was even good. When I found that this was Mark Cohen's first book, I was very much impressed. He did not write like a newbie. By the way, if you are afraid of math, don't let that scare you away from the book. The only reason math is involved is that three people who work in the same esoteric field of math were murdered in different states and a fourth mathematician of the same field is the only one who believes they are connected ...more
Janet Berkman
I wasn't expecting that much from this self-published novel (that subsequently got picked up by a publishing company), but it was quite good. A murder mystery set in Colorado, it's got interesting characters and an intriguing mathematical component. I've added Cohen's second book Bluetick Revenge to my to-read pile.
Mary Pfeifer
I would love someone in my book club, if they have time, to read this book. My thesis was on fractal mathematics and I read this book during that time frame. This book has violence without disrespecting women.

If you get me talking about color theory or fractal mathematics, I will talk for ever. This book may let you have an "ahhhh ha" moment with mathematics. please consider reading it.
Leif Anderson
It was amazing how much this book overlapped with my own life and interests. A lot of the locations were places that I have lived, and since I study chaos, I feel kind of at home talking about fractals.
Also, it was a really good book. At first I wasn't sure about Cohen's style, but after a chapter or two, I was completely at home. I enjoyed reading this book a lot.
Pam
TITLE/AUTHOR: THE FRACTAL MURDERS by Mark Cohen
RATING: 3.5/C+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 2004, 311 pgs
TIME/PLACE: Present, Colorado
CHARACTERS: Pepper Keane, former Marine & lawyer, now PI
COMMENTS: Hired by a math professor who specializes in fractal geometry. She refuses to believe that 3 recent deaths by colleagues across the country could be coincidental.
Heather
i picked-up this book at the library 'cause the cover was interesting and i thought shan might like it (not based on more than the fact that it was a "math murder mystery")... but he read about 10 pages and decided it was no good... i picked it up and read it despite it not being very good.

pretty slow for a mystery, but it picked-up at the end.
Ellen
This was an amusing book to read while I was traveling by train from Annapolis back to Denver. I probably wouldn't have read it otherwise. Standard detective fiction with the twist that it takes place in Nederland/Boulder. Good characterizations and an interesting premise about fractal math and how it might be a motive for murder.
Karen
Mar 01, 2010 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Amy Kane
Shelves: fiction
This was a bit outside what I would normally pick up, but I enjoyed the Whitman College connection! Nothing like reading a mystery about a murdered math professor at the college where you majored in math. I even brought it to work one day because I couldn't wait to get to the bottom of the mystery!
Merelyn
A fun book & with likeable characters. Reminds me of a James Lee Burke book, but much lighter. Former Marine JAG wrote this, & has a good sense of law, while being funny. Rather light. Man gives up life in the fast lane to becom detective,then has risky times finding " who done it". Worth your time!
Terrie
Unexpectedly good! As a math major who also worked on a Navy project using fractal geometry, I enjoyed the math-related aspects. The writing and dialogue is good and reminiscent of the leaders in this genre. Disappointed to find there's only one more in the series so far.
James
The first book in an engaging series. I found the mystery a little obvious and it went on a little longer than I would have liked, but I like the protagonist, Pepper Keane, a former JAG lawyer turned private investigator. In all, a fun, light read.
Marva
So-so mystery. Interesting enough for me to finish it. I thought the end a bit slapdash. Still Pepper Keane (male PI) is an interesting character. I think, however, the author might skip describing everybody's clothing each time they appear in the book
Richard
Another lawyer written book. Starts off hideously, but gets better. Still reads like a woman wrote it. Nice twist at the end, not unbelievable. Good use of fractal math and its applications in business.
Arax Miltiadous
οκ, έμαθα τι είναι τα fractal, πράγμα που θα μπορούσα να το κάνω και διαβάζοντας ένα βιβλίο που αφορά τα fractal καθαρά, γιατί όσο για τους φόνους.. εχμ...
βαρετό βιβλίο η αλήθεια να λέγετε..
Gail
Trever
Good book, doesn't quite compares to other murder mysteries. Calculus of murder has a much more interesting premise with more intriguing details about the main character.
Jen
Okay, this was a great book! I'm about to order the second, and already I'm disappointed that the author only wrote two books.
  • A Certain Ambiguity: A Mathematical Novel
  • Verse of the Vampyre (Poetic Death Mystery, #2)
  • Secrets, Lies, and Algebra (Do The Math, #1)
  • The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • The Miracle Strip
  • Wild Ink : Success Secrets to Writing and Publishing in the Young Adult Market
  • The Truth Hurts (Marie Lightfoot, #3)
  • A Bloodhound To Die For
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
  • The Indian Clerk
  • Dating Can Be Murder (Samantha Shaw Mystery, #1)
  • The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure
  • Bimbos of the Death Sun (Jay Omega, #1)
  • Shadows at the Spring Show (Antique Print, #4)
  • The Bloodied Ivy
  • A Simple Suburban Murder (Tom Mason and Scott Carpenter, #1)
  • A Piece of Justice (Imogen Quy, #2)
More about Mark Cohen...
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Prima's Official Strategy Guide) Bluetick Revenge The Penguin Dictionary of Epigrams True Color Braveheart (Prima's Official Strategy Guide)