Start by marking “The Gift” as Want to Read:
The Gift

The Gift

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,753 Ratings  ·  1,204 Reviews
If you could wish for one gift this Christmas, what would it be?

Everyday Lou Suffern battled with the clock. He always had two places to be at the same time. He always had two things to do at once. When asleep he dreamed. In between dreams, he ran through the events of the day while making plans for the next. When at home with his wife and family, his mind was always somep
Published November 3rd 2009 by William Morrow (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift, please sign up.

Andrea Hawkinson ohhh that's a good question. I didn't even think it could be Ruth. I just figured it was someone else that lived in the area

Fatema Meamari
Feb 19, 2012 Fatema Meamari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fatema by: Ghaida Abdul Rahman
Cecelia Ahern is a very clever, creative writer. I really admire her work. It's pretty awesome. When you look at her covers, you don't expect much (At least that's how it was with me). You expect just another romantic comedy with all the gooey, cheesy, lovey-dovey romantic parts. Trust me, that is FAR from the case.
Her books are wonderful. They deal with serious issues and serious problems. Real-life, every day shit. She also throws in a little bit of magic and intrigue. Her books have this cre
Ashton Gibbs ♥ BB&B

The Gift – Cecelia Ahern

Admittedly, I, like so many others before me, seem to associate Cecelia Ahern with lovely, girly books, especially with the gorgeous covers her books always have. This is far from the case. Her books are incredibly touching, the writing is clever and this book in particular is a fabulous example of how her books can be moralistic with a magical touch.

The Gift centres on the story of Lou Suffern, as told through the eyes of someone else. Lou is your stereotypical over-wo
Sara
This book is for you if:
you are in the mood for a good old Christmas-ly cry
you feel introspective and open to reflect on the sense of life
you want to reconnect with family values
you want something that will remind you what are the important things in life
This book is NOT for you if:
you need something easy-breezy with no drama
you DO NOT want to cry
you're looking for more of a happily ever after novel
you are looking for a girl-meets-boy novel

I enjoyed this book, it reduced me into tears, I was o
Tatiana Arutyunova
Katsumi
Jul 19, 2013 Katsumi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading Cecelia Ahern's novels 'Book of Tomorrow' and 'P.S I Love You', I was looking forward to reading another. Her books are so easy to read and leave you feeling really uplifted and The Gift definitely does that.
I was a little dubious about reading a Christmas novel in July but towards the end I really got into the festive spirit! An utterly fantastic book that gives out a fabulous message about the gift of time which really made me think as I turned each page. The descriptive writing
Julie
Oct 14, 2011 Julie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted something easy to read on public transport and this certainly ticked that box. I finished it before even adding it to my 'currently reading' on this site!

The protagonist is fallible, something I always think makes a book interesting, and all the characters are somewhat believable, but it was very hard to find anything warm or likeable in them. The people and the settings made me feel uncomfortable somehow. Perhaps they was supposed to.

I suppose it's easy to be cynical about the characte
Iris Blobel
Mar 10, 2016 Iris Blobel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for Cecelia Ahern Fans!

I loved the book because after I had read the previous few books, I fell in love with Cecelia's stories yet again.

It's a common story: a busy husband and father, with a big career, wants everything, yet bigger and better, and not getting his priorities right. His family and health are suffering. Lou at some stage lost the ability to live until he meets Gabriel, or Gabe, a man living on the streets. After this his life changes forever....

Cecilia Ahern always add
Nicolette
THE GIFT
By Cecelia Ahern
(HarperCollins)

THIS book caught my eye with its silver wrapping-paper effect hardcover of shiny snowflakes and bright red ribbon tied in a bow to look like the perfect gift.

This touching novel focuses on a man who comes to realise that some parts of his life can only bring him to ruin.

Businessman Lou Suffern always has to be in two places at the same time. He catches the beginning of one meeting or function so that he can be there at the end of another.

His womanising and
Liberty K
Apr 20, 2016 Liberty K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book guys, THIS BOOK hit me right in the feels! It deserves one thousand stars not only five!
This book was everything I wanted and I didn't even know. It was the perfect holiday Christmassy read but at the same time not cheesy with the happily ever after effect but very helpful to understand that time with the loved ones is the only gift anyone ever have in life!
Adela Cacovean
Am cumpărat această carte în momentul în care a apărut în librării, însă din diverse motive, m-am apucat tot de altele şi am reuşit să o citesc în vacanţa intersemestrială. Din motive de timp, sau mai exact lipsa lui, scriu doar acum despre ea.

În ziua de Crăciun, sergentul Raphael O’Reilly şi Jessica Rabbit sunt de serviciu. La secţie este adus un adolescent, care aruncase un curcan îngheţat prin fereastra tatălui său, aproape rănind-o pe sora lui vitregă, pe motiv că tatăl său anulase cina cu e
Adam
Aug 25, 2010 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks-a-z
Isaura Pereira
Decidi começar o mês de leituras natalícias por este livro. Um livro um pouco mais espiritual do que estou habituada. Mas esta é a altura do ano em que gosto de ler este tipo de livros.

Confesso que o início foi um pouco confuso. Senti-me um pouco perdida e não estava a "entrar" na história e não sentia qualquer ligação com as personagens. Só mais para o final (e este é um livro relativamente pequeno) é que sento uma súbita ligação com esta história.

Um livro com elementos espirituais que nos faz
Jenny
Nov 28, 2009 Jenny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
On the back of this book it says "An instant holiday classic" so you think you'll be in for a nice and cozy type of read. Heck no! I mean I would say 95% of the book is great but as soon as you realize how it's going to end you're like "WTF?" I stayed up late finishing it b/c I kept thinking there is no way it's going to end like I think it is but it did. Yes, the overall message is great but the outcome of this particular story is not something you want on your mind as you're trying to fall asl ...more
Vivian
Apr 25, 2016 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meaningful, touching and magical!
I enjoyed this short, clever, with a touch of mystery story! I'm never disappointed in Cecelia Ahern's books. She always finds a clever and wonderful way to say something.
Reading this book, made me realize that people aren't always distant and neglect to show their loved ones how special they are to them on purpose or because they don't love them anymore. We get caught up by routine and forget what really matters in this life. The moments we have with Our loved o
Ruzaika Deen
Jan 20, 2016 Ruzaika Deen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Another version of this review can be found on http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-...

“One thing of great importance can affect a small number of people. Equally so, a thing of little importance can affect a multitude. Either way, a happening big or small can affect an entire string of people.”

Before I start my review I simply have to tell you this: Cecelia Ahern is an extremely brilliant writer. I've read one book by her before this- If You Could See Me Now and I liked it a lot, but it was som
Nicka
Dec 27, 2015 Nicka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
"Time is more precious than gold, more precious than diamonds, more precious than oil or any valuable treasures. It is time that we do not have enough of; it is time that causes the war within our hearts, and so we must spend it wisely.

Time cannot be packaged and ribboned and left under trees for Christmas morning.

Time can't be given. But it can be shared."

Yet again another beautifully crafted novel by my favorite author Cecelia Ahern!

The Gift follows the story or should I say stories of a very
Marina
Feb 20, 2016 Marina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-life
Boooring.
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
I'll admit that I found Cecelia Ahern to be a better writer than I assumed that she would be. I've not read any of her other books before and from the genre she's known for, chick-lit, I was simply expecting something simple and fun. This book dealt with some every day problems and issues and it was trying to teach us something. The story is set in modern day Dublin, nearing Christmas, and the story is well set with clear, visible descriptions.
In this book, Ahern is trying to tell a story about
Christine (KizzieReads)
Wow!! I didn't think I would get all the feels with this book, but I did. It really makes you take a step back and look at your life, and how time and one simple action can change your life and the lives around you so very drastically.
Mo
Dec 08, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was excellent, even though it was not the cozy / feel-good story I was expecting. If you're looking for an easy-breezy Christmas story, look elsewhere.
Petra
This book is pure magic, just what I needed
Dec 17, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
schöne Geschichte
Julia
Jun 08, 2015 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 00-standalone
Kurzrezension Zeit deines Lebens – Cecilia Ahern
Inhalt: Zauberhaft, geheimnisvoll und mit einer berührenden Botschaft, das ist der wunderbare Roman der jungen irischen Weltbestsellerautorin. Denn manchmal muss man jemand ganz Besonderem begegnen, um zu erkennen, was wirklich wichtig ist im Leben.

Lou Suffern ist ein »BWM«, ein Beschäftigter Wichtiger Mann. So wichtig und beschäftigt, dass er den 70. Geburtstag seines Vaters vergisst, seine Frau leichthin betrügt und seinem kleinen Sohn noch nicht
Fraffee
Nov 05, 2011 Fraffee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Fraffee by: My wonderful English teacher's DEAR reading list
This book truly stuck a nerve and one of my heart strings at the same time. After reading the book, I was put in a state of shock. But it was a good kind of shock. If you were to ask me if this book changed my life then I would say that in a way, it did. Don't misunderstand me, though. This book did not turn my world upside down and left me breathless. But what it really did was even more amazing. It opened my eyes.

I can confidently say that Cecelia Ahern is a gifted writer. To be honest, I had
Yla Delarosa
Nov 20, 2011 Yla Delarosa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the story... although every once in a while I find it hard to empathize with the characters. Lou is a selfish jerk who thinks only about his career, and everyone else around him just nods and dont do anything about it. Then along came Gabe who gave him the gift to be in two places at the same time. I dont like Gabe... there's just too much mystery thrown in that he became vague as a character. Some situations are very improbable, but hey... its fiction, right? So whatever... :p Anyway, th ...more
Cadiva
Jan 06, 2012 Cadiva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't often read "chic lit" but chose this for our book club to read for our December novel as it appeared on my Amazon recommendations. With that in mind, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it and was very pleasantly surprised not only by the novel itself but by the ending (which I won't spoil here).
In her main character Lou Suffern, Ahern creates a protagonist that is difficult to empathise with at the same time as he is very easy to understand. A driven, work is priority while his family su
ReaderSP
Oct 17, 2012 ReaderSP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Cecelia Ahern and I am always so excited when another one of her books is released. She is so young but writes so wisely. I watched the video of her interview on Amazon and she seems like a really nice person. I thought that the book itself was a really great read. I read it in 2 days (around work!) and loved it. I finally finished it in the bath last night and the water went cold because I wanted to finish my book!
The story is a story within a story. The first story is about a kid who th
Melissa
Aug 23, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
What do you get when you combine George Bailey, Ebenezer Scrooge, and Don Draper?

You get Lou Suffern.

Lou's the main character in this Christmas-novel-with-a-timeless-message by Irish author Cecelia Ahern, whose books I tend to enjoy. (See my review of There's No Place Like Here.) I'm usually not a Christmas book reader, but I was in the mood for such a novel this past week. When I saw this on display at the library, I grabbed it because Ahern's novels tend to be light reads (guilty pleasures,
Carrie
Everyone says I wish there was more time to do such and such. Or I don't have time for that, I'm busy. Or how it seemed that they needed to be in more then one place at the same time.

In this novel Lou is a very busy man with a wife and two children and a working hard to get a promotion in the business he works at. He doesn't have the time to do all that is required of him, a result his family is basically on the back burner as he only has work on his mind and how he can get ahead.

Lou is given a
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Making Your Mind Up
  • Twelve Days of Christmas
  • Keeping It In The Family
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
  • Before I Forget
  • With Love at Christmas
  • Sweet Temptation
  • I Remember You
  • Glitz
Cecelia Ahern was born on September 30, 1981 in Dublin, Ireland. She is the daughter of the former Irish Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. On 14th December 2009 it was announced that Cecelia had given birth to her first child with partner David Keoghan, a girl named Robin. She was secretly married on 11 June 2010 in County Kildare, Ireland. Her older sister, Georgina Ahern is married to Nicky Byrne of Irish ...more
More about Cecelia Ahern...

“Time cant be given. But it can be shared.” 228 likes
“Time is more precious than gold, more precious than diamonds, more precious than oil or any valuable treasures. It is time that we do not have enough of; it is time that causes the war within our hearts, and so we must spend it wisely.” 181 likes