Start by marking “Ghosts of the Civil War” as Want to Read:
Ghosts of the Civil War

Ghosts of the Civil War

Lindsey thinks the Civil War is just another dull moment in our nation's history -- until she meets the ghost of Willie Lincoln. He takes her back in time to witness the war firsthand. Lindsey watches in awe as the Yankee and the Rebels battle at Fort Sumter and as General Lee surrenders at the Appomattox. And just as the war is ending, the tragic assassination of Presiden ...more
Published May 1st 2004 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts of the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts of the Civil War

Apr 14, 2015 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
As the sesquicentennial of the end of the Civil War approached, we wanted to learn more about this tumultuous time in our nation's history. Our girls' book club read two stories about the war and I thought this would be a fun picture book to complement them.

The book is very informative and interesting, with a graphic novel feel to the pages. There's a lot of data provided, and the handwritten font and numerous blocks of information make it a bit difficult to read aloud.

So we took it slowly, jus
Heather Ledet
Aug 25, 2010 Heather Ledet rated it really liked it
A good book for visual learners and comic book lovers. A girl visiting a Civil War reenactment is brought back in time to understand the background of the Civil War. Lincoln's son is her travel companion.
In the back is great information, too: maps, key figures, a glossary, and information about things like what a regiment or battalion is.
Nov 22, 2011 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elementary, history
I love how Cheryl Harness brings history to life! Her rich illustrations (that could be almost be the book in and of themselves) fascinate young readers and capture their attention. I always find something new each time I read this book.
Nicola Mansfield
Dec 09, 2009 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: Read aloud as part of our history curriculum.

Summary: A girl is at a Civil War battle reenactment with her parents, grumpy and bored when she is visited by a boy, the ghost of Willie Lincoln, who whisks her back to the past where she can watch different aspects of the war for herself, first-hand.

Comments: I hadn't even looked at this book before I got it off the shelf to prepare for reading it and imagine my surprise when I saw that it was in graphic novel format! Being Canad
Jul 01, 2014 Sue rated it liked it
Interesting book but I found it a little hard to follow.
Denise Choate
Dec 10, 2009 Denise Choate rated it really liked it
2002 Historical fiction, Graphic book: This is a great graophic book that is a book about Aberaham Lincoln's son, Willie coming as a ghost to take the main character, Lindsay back in time so she can understand his time periods and all that went on. This is an overwhelmingly, informative book with a ton going on in it. I loved this book beacause I enjoy this time period of our countries history. It represented point of view from book sides in a very natural way that made the reader feel as though ...more
Aug 21, 2013 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Yet another history book for kids that is overloaded with text and so heavily illustrated that it is a pain in the katush to read. I would not read this again. Often the page was so overwhelming that I had no idea what to read first. Not only that, but I think it was a poor overview of the Civil War.
Sep 04, 2010 Barbara rated it did not like it
Wy too much going on in this book. A girl is tranported back in time to the Civil war, but the meaning of her adventure is lost in the thousands of illustrations that overlap.
Feb 18, 2011 Dale rated it it was amazing
I thought that book was awesome. because I learned a lot from that book.
LP marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Kevin Chen
Kevin Chen marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Kelly Lulu
Kelly Lulu marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Melody marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Dayana Garcia
Dayana Garcia marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Yang Zhi
Yang Zhi marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Rachel marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Tara added it
Feb 27, 2016
Stephanie Herman
Stephanie Herman marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Gabriel Davis
Gabriel Davis marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Ms. Donovan
Ms. Donovan rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Daniela Freites
Daniela Freites marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015