Start by marking “Phantom Army of the Civil War and Other Southern Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
Phantom Army of the Civil War and Other Southern Ghost Stories

Phantom Army of the Civil War and Other Southern Ghost Stories

3.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This is a haunting collection of personal encounters with the spirit world as they appeared in FATE magazine. These are tales handed down over the years that have their basis in the horrors of the Civil War.
Published May 15th 2008 by Book Sales, Inc. (first published April 1st 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about Phantom Army of the Civil War and Other Southern Ghost Stories

Tina
Sep 24, 2015 Tina rated it liked it
This book was located in the science section of my library. Never knew ghost stories were science, but what do I know? I've been reading these a few at a time and some of the stories are better than others. It's a compilation of "true" Southern ghost stories and sightings of spirits from the files of Fate Magazine over the course of 50 years. Some of the spook sightings reside in historical places around the South. While not entirely what I expected, the historical accounts and legends are inter ...more
Maryse
Mar 02, 2010 Maryse rated it it was ok
It was ok. Some stories were good; others were more of the slippery-slope type (i.e. someone's half-sister claims to have broken her arm because the ghost tripped her. Their neighbor falls off the boat and dies. Since he must have tripped to fall off, the ghost tripped him. Ergo, the ghost killed him). Read it when you've exhausted all other ghost story collections.
Pamela
Jul 08, 2013 Pamela rated it it was amazing
Many ghostly tales of the Civil War and other Southern ghost stories that people had sent to Fate Magazine. I enjoyed them all. A good book to read while at the beach or for any summer read.
Matt
Aug 17, 2014 Matt rated it liked it
This was ok. Some of the stories were interesting, some not so much.

I have to admit I can get caught up in a good ghost story. Some stuff is just hard to explain. THis book tells a series of stories but overall they are fairly similar.

I did get through the book rather quickly and the short stories made it easy to read here and there.

If you are into ghost stories, haunted places, and/or the paranormal, this may be a decent read for you.

I would give this 3 stars even.

Jerry Mrizek
Feb 03, 2016 Jerry Mrizek rated it did not like it
This book sucked. It's written along the lines of a fourth grade reading level and is nothing more than unbelievable stories. "I felt an unseen presence try to push me out the window. Four months later we moved out." Really, you thought a ghost was trying to kill you and you moved out four months later?
Anna Stiglbauer
May 12, 2015 Anna Stiglbauer rated it it was ok
Annoying writing style
Connie
Nov 09, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it
This was the perfect Halloween read I was looking for. This book is a compilation of stories, some carried down through generations, of either folk lure or perceived real events, you be the judge. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a few fun, spooky short stories.
Danny Johnson
Dec 02, 2012 Danny Johnson rated it really liked it
Pretty good little read...most of the tales are related in the sitting around the campfire style of ghost story.
Breeann Kaczmarczyk
Jul 22, 2008 Breeann Kaczmarczyk rated it liked it
This was a fun book of ghost stories. It's worth a read when there isn't much else around.
Debye
Aug 05, 2012 Debye marked it as to-read
Fun reading about Civil War ghosts--love stories about the ghosts of Gettysburg.
Fritz
Jun 12, 2008 Fritz rated it really liked it
Good read of Civil War ghost stories
Diana
Aug 01, 2011 Diana rated it liked it
It was decent
Bethany Council
Bethany Council is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
M
M added it
May 27, 2016
Aury
Aury added it
May 27, 2016
Bottlegirl
Bottlegirl rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Sean
Sean added it
Apr 28, 2016
Kat Austin
Kat Austin rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Tegan
Tegan rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Mario M.
Mario M. marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Laura Kelley
Laura Kelley marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Rosa Cline
Rosa Cline marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Angi
Angi marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2015
Billy
Billy added it
Oct 27, 2015
Kim
Kim added it
Nov 02, 2015
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Ashley Rheiner
Ashley Rheiner rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2015