Start by marking “Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-by-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success” as Want to Read:

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  63 reviews
There is no bigger issue for healthy infants than sleeping through the night. In this simple, straightforward book, Suzy Giordano presents her amazingly effective "Limited- Crying Solution" that will get any baby to sleep for twelve hours at night—and three hours in the day—by the age of twelve weeks old.

Giordano is the mother of five children and one of the most sought-af
Published January 19th 2006 by Dutton Adult

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old

Lisa
The book's theory is interesting. And the theory seems like it would work. Feed your baby only every 4 hours during the day so that they eat more than they would every 2-3 hours. Delay feedings by bouncing, playing, distracting, etc. Then your baby will get all the calories it needs during the day to go 12 hours at night without food. Only 4 feedings a day, is what the book recommends. In practice I dont see this working for me or my family, especially while nursing. Could my supply be maintaine ...more
Shawna
This book is awesome. Short, concise, easy to read--exactly what anyone with a newborn is looking for in a how-to book. My daughter is six weeks old today and is already sleeping 7 to 8 hours straight after her one and only night feeding (she's been on this schedule for over a week now). During the day she eats every 4 hours. I feel like I have enough "free time" to accomplish what I need to get done (like playing around on goodreads!) and yet I get to spend so much quality time with my little g ...more
Matthew
This book seems to be pointing people to Suzy's consulting business. The narrative keeps pointing back to what she can provide and the clients that she has dealt with in her 10 years of consulting. It seems like she is finally writing this book because of her consulting success to make more money and drive more people to seek her out. It is not a book worth purchasing.

There are some tips and tricks that are great to follow and understand but other suggestions that seem to be purely based on expe
Heather
I think this would work pretty well if you exclusively bottle feed, but otherwise I don't think it's a realistic plan. There is no way my little one will go four hours between feeds and there are too many steps, I feel stressed out just reading it. I gave it 3 stars because I will take some of the ideas and use them once she's older.
Cassie
I will rate this book after I try out the author's method!

Update: This method did not work for us, but I'm still giving it a two star rating because some of what she says is helpful.
Michelle
Dislike! There is no way you can force a baby to stay on such a strict schedule and not expect them to scream. Feedings every four hours is impossible unless you expect a baby to scream the whole time. I did not agree with this philosophy at all!
Lauren
Too strict to implement - I think it would affect most breastfed babies milk supply, and 12 weeks is just too young for babies to cry as much as is recommended in this book!
Jenna
not entirely practical, especially for breast-feeding moms.
Cliff Watt
An initial 5 stars for the fact that it all made sense and seemed to fit with what our 6 week old twins might need, haven't tried any of it yet but our two are following a lot of the natural patterns that are talked about.

The proof will be in the pudding but I'm hopeful. It's not as strict a routine setting dictatorship that I feared it might be and the authors rejection of the 'cry it out' approach was encouraging.

It's also short enough to read in one sitting which I'm glad about as I've not
Allison
Read this book on the advice of a coworker who returned from maternity leave after 12 weeks and was able to get her son to sleep for 12 hours each night before she came back to work. I'm not convinced this method will work for me/us. I'm not messing around with sleep training -- my child had better be sleeping most of the way through the night by the time my maternity leave is over, because without sleep I won't be able to do either of my jobs (mom or manager) very well. But this method seems to ...more
Ian G
EASILY THE BEST ADVICE TO GET YOUR BABY TO SLEEP!!!!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!!! Our first baby is 4 weeks old, and just barely hit 9 lbs (the minimum to start training). We did as the book instructed and were easily able to spread his day feedings to 4 hours apart (4 times/day). We kept him awake between the third and last feeding and that first night he slept for 7 hours (8pm-3am) then fed, and then slept till 8am!!! (The previous night he fed 3 times.) And he is still eating a TON of bre ...more
Lara
I know people who swear by this, but it is not for me. After a miserable period of trying it, I followed my instincts and picked up my sobbing little man to console him back to sleep, then downloaded The No-Cry Sleep Solution and started reading it instead.

At first it sounded great, because the author makes it sound like your baby will never cry for longer than 5 minutes. Sounds like a sweet deal, right? Uh, no thank you. It turns out that, when timing your babies crying periods, you have to res
Very rigid plan. I see that this could work for multiples, parents with no interest/desire for attachment parenting, and bottle feeders. For an on-demand breastfed baby, dude, this isn't gonna work.

Some of the comments are very helpful, and the night after finishing the book is the first time in ages the baby self-settled to sleep. So feeling empowered as the mom? Sure. Sticking to an every-four-hour schedule? Probably not going to work for us.

If you're a formula feeder, or have multiples and MU
Kristin
This helped me sleep train my little baby! One thing I really appreciated was what a quick read it was. I had no time for reading but got through the gist of how to sleep train in 2 hours!
Alyssa
While I didn't follow her methods exactly, this book provided me with the building blocks that I needed to get my twins sleeping through the night.
Alyn
Quick read. All these baby sleep books sound great in theory.

She proclaims that her method works for every baby. She seems to state that even sickness and teething should not set them off of the schedule. She doesn't give enough coping strategies for these situations. A little extra soothing doesn't keep a sick baby in good sleep habits in my experience.

I like that she lists certain goals, and which order to work on them. Having objectives is great. But how do you cope when night after night,
Becky H
I was looking for a book to summarize good techniques for helping little ones sleep well. My daughter was sleeping through the night at 3 months, but honestly I tried so many different things that I don't think I could've repeated it. This book is a fast read (I read the whole thing in about 90 minutes) on purpose so you can get the information you need quickly...and it's useful. It actually summarized many of the things I did (some of them unknowingly). I think this book combined with Healthy S ...more
Stacey Lynn
A quick read providing a "toolbox" of ideas for helping baby develop good sleep patterns. Many reviews seems to be strongly for or against this method, but each family can consider a variety of ideas then apply the combination that fits their situation. Regardless of what approach you take, setting up good sleep habits early on is a worthwhile effort for everyone involved. I know of several families, mine included, that have had success using methods like the ones in this book (establishing a ro ...more
Kara
Depending on your child, this method may work great. Maybe it would have worked better for us if our child was one of those babies who took a pacifier. However, this method left us tired and back at square one after two weeks with a hungry baby.

It's about twice as long as it needs to be, and and little more complex than other methods. As such, we would be reading it at 3am wondering what to do when x happened. If you don't need a lot of sleep, then this method probably works quickly. However, f
Heather
So I really should have read this one before the baby was born. Our baby is four months old and not sleeping through the night. The confusing thing is that each book says something different, and we are not sure which method we are going to use. I like the way this book maps out exactly what to do to get your baby to sleep twelve hours at twelve weeks old. My friend highly recommended this book and said it worked for her first child. The only thing is that I got the book when our daughter was th ...more
Catharine
Though I didn't start in time to get twelve hours sleep by twelve weeks, this book helped me take a 13 week old who was waking about 5 times a night to a 16 week old waking once a night. Perhaps I would get the twelve hour result if I followed it to the letter, but I wasn't willing to only feed my son every four hours during the day and not at all at night for a total of 4 feedings every 24 hours. The book really outlines in detail the steps and I found incremental progress every day following i ...more
Kristin
Best book I've read so far!
Kathleen
Sep 11, 2007 Kathleen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: first time moms
Shelves: baby
As a first time mom-to-be I can't give input into the practicality of the advice in this book. I suspect having a 12 week old infant sleep for twelve hours a day is a bit unrealistic. However, this book did contain some handy charts that will be useful for the first few weeks and months of your baby's life. One chart tracks how often your baby feeds during the first 6 weeks and how often it urinates/deficates. The second chart I found useful is a sample daily schedule for weeks 8 to 12.
Sara
I've got several more weeks until I need the advice - I may update this review then - but the book is practical, easy to read guidance that seemed really reasonable to a soon-to-be mom. I haven't been hearing a lot of the idea that a new baby has to adapt to the family rather than the other way around, and its nice to hear it from someplace. Particularly since I don't want to have to take the baby in my bed, no matter how great everyone seems to think that is...
Mickey Eastin
Not sure I'd put my baby on this kind of schedule...plus I nurse w/no bottles.
She says feed baby every 3-4 hours first 6 weeks (wake baby if need by first 4 weeks), 6-8 weeks let baby wake itself at night when hungry (don't wake it at night).
Weeks 8-12, feed every four hours a day for 12 hours (in crib/sleeping other 12), gradually eliminate night feedings (drop 2nd night time feeding first), nap in am and pm on a schedule.
saudarilee
This is the book that i used to sleep train my triplets when they were 10months old. Sensible routines which i tweaked to follow the triplets schedules. Book was really easy to follow and understand with no hard or fast rule which made it a reading pleasure. I even emailed the author to say thanks for writing this book! It turned my life around. I was able to be a mother to triplets and get my sleep at the same time.
Lisa Fetterman
This book is fucked up. It should be re-titled "How To Break Your Baby's Will by Twelve Weeks." The methods are draconian and not intuitive at all and the author narrates with a cultist fascist tone that preys on sleep deprived parents who have been beaten into submission. Yes, I hear it "works" but to get there you have to take a Machiavellian strategy that might leave your home a scorched earth.
Rachel
Nov 30, 2013 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: baby
I will have to update this review once I have a chance to see how sleeping through the night goes for my baby, who is only three weeks old right now. It seems like the concepts in this book are similar to the Baby Whisperer / Tracy Hogg method, but it is much more step-by-step so probably good for people who want lots of details. But I can't speak to how well it works, yet!
Amy
Carolyn
I liked some of the suggestions in this book and think this may work very well for some people, but I didn't like the rigid schedule that this suggests and her BBC (Baby Boot Camp). I guess that's not for me. But there are still lots of good reminders for encouraging healthy sleep/feeding habits for babies that I will try to use this time around.
  • Motherhood Realized: An Inspiring Anthology for the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love
  • Talking Back to Facebook: The Common Sense Guide to Raising Kids in the Digital Age
  • Babyproofing Your Marriage: How to Laugh More, Argue Less, and Communicate Better as Your Family Grows
  • Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • Discipline without Shouting or Spanking: Practical Solutions to the Most Common Preschool Behavior Problems
  • Expecting Better: How to Fight the Pregnancy Establishment with Facts
  • The Successful Child: What Parents Can Do to Help Kids Turn Out Well
  • Hell Is Other Parents: And Other Tales of Maternal Combustion
  • The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5
  • Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Teaching Your Children Values
  • The Wonder Weeks. How to Stimulate Your Baby's Mental Development and Help Him Turn His 10 Predictable, Great, Fussy Phases Into Magical Leaps Forward
  • Rockabye: From Wild to Child
  • Maxed Out: American Moms on the Brink
  • All Your Worth: The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan
  • The Parenting Breakthrough: Real-Life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and Be Truly Independent
The Baby Sleep Solution: A Proven Program to Teach Your Baby to Sleep Twelve Hours aNight 12 horas de sono com 12 semanas de vida (Portuguese Edition) The Baby Sleep Solution: A Proven Program to Teach Your Baby to Sleep Twelve Hours Anight