Kid vs. Squid

Kid vs. Squid

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Thatcher Hill is bored stiff of his summer job dusting the fake mermaids and shrunken heads at his uncle's seaside Museum of Curiosities. But when a mysterious girl steals an artifact from the museum, Thatcher's summer becomes an adventure that takes him from the top of the ferris wheel to the depths of the sea. Following the thief, he learns that she is a princess of the...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published 2010)

Ingo by Helen DunmoreForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerSirena by Donna Jo NapoliHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
400th out of 422 books — 650 voters
Kindred by Octavia E. ButlerParable of the Sower by Octavia E. ButlerParable of the Talents by Octavia E. ButlerWild Seed by Octavia E. ButlerThe Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
Speculative Fiction by Authors of Color
112th out of 115 books — 87 voters

More lists with this book...

L12_Anke
Kid vs. Squid by Greg van Eekhout is a fast-paced book about a boy named Thatcher who has to spend his summer with his crazy uncle Griswald on a California beach town called Las Huesas. His uncle owns The Museum of the Strange and Curious and this is where Thatcher is expected to spend his summer days. The story is told through Thatcher’s voice, which is so real the reader wants to join him on his crazy adventure. He’s clever, funny and a great story-teller. The descriptions are witty and imagin...more
Kater Cheek
This middle-grade novel was fresh and delightful, and more charming than I expected. It's a little like Percy Jackson, except that it's more creative and doesn't take itself so seriously.

Eekhout sets the story in Los Huesos, a rather grim and macabre seaside town in California. Thatcher is sent to live with his great uncle Griswald, and his job is to help maintain Griswald's museum of curiosities. When one of the curiosities gets stolen, Thatcher and his new friend Trudy become involved in an an...more
Catherine Schaff-Stump
I haven't had this much fun with a book in a long, long time.

Van Eekhout's Kid Vs Squid manages to return kids of any age to that sweet spot in their imagination that their childhood favorite reads take them to. KvS is all out adventure and humor. Three kids--Thatcher, Shoal and Trudy--bond in ways that only 3 Musketeers on a life-threatening adventure can.

And then there's the weirdness. Uncle Griswold runs a museum for oddities of the sea. Cursed carnies return to the board walk every year. A w...more
Irasema
I am having a hard time deciding how I really feel about this book. Before reading the book, I read some reviews stating this was a very funny book but I didn't find it to be that amuzing. I think it was quite creative and I'm pretty sure my students will like it but I'm not sure I would think of it as being very funny. Maybe it was the state of mind I was in while reading it :)
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Thatcher is spending the summer with his eccentric uncle, Griswald, on the boardwalk at his museum of curiosities. Amongst the museum is a box that his uncle refers to as the What-Is-It.

When a mysterious girl steals the What-Is-It, Thatcher catches up with her and confronts her about her theft. When she tells him that she is the princess of Atlantis and is cursed to stay in the water all winter and run the stands along the boardwalk during the summer, Thatc...more
Theo P
This book is really really really wonderful because it is fun to read and hilarious. The plot was probably the most creative plot that you will read this year. For example, that everybody turns out to be happy, instead of one victory. It's not just good guys versus bad guys.

Books usually have two characters, but this one has three main characters, Thatcher is the main-main character, Trudy is important, and Shoal is quite important, too. Trudy is a bit of a hero; she's the one saying what Skall...more
Angie
Really make that like three point five. It was a lot of fun and a length that many of my students will actually be able to FINISH. (Can you tell I get frustrated when they don't finish? Once or twice, it's all good. But some of them? Almost never. :[) The timing seemed a little off ... was great until the ending sort of seemed to come out of nowhere and then there were a couple pages of "and this is what happened to our main characters after" and then it was done. So, you know ... maybe a few mo...more
Fantasy Literature
Kid vs. Squid, by Greg van Eekhout, is definitely a children’s fantasy. It comes in at a slim sub-200 pages (with pretty good-sized print) and doesn’t take much time with detailed description, rich character development, or intricate plotting. That isn’t a complaint; it’s just to say that Kid vs. Squid knows who its audience is, and while it won’t dumb things down or talk down to its readers, it also won’t stretch them. Keeping to relatively humble standards of that sort, it succeeds pretty soli...more
Monica
Middle schooler Thatcher Hill goes to live with his uncle in a small seaside town in California for the summer. His job is to take care of odd objects at the Museum of Curiosities, which includes a mysterious shrunken head in a box. A young girl steals this mysterious object from the museum and things soon turn bizarre as Thatcher, in his pursuit of this thief, gets caught up in a ages-old battle between an evil witch and the people of the lost city of Atlantis. He gets chased by jelly-fish boys...more
David Anaxagoras
Imaginative, fun, engaging, and thrilling.

KID VS SQUID blows Percy Jackson out of the water. The voice of the kid narrator here is pitch perfect. Thatcher is wry, witty, and smart without coming off like an obnoxious jerk (see: Jackson, P.). The action is intense and though the plot is outlandish it never descends into goofiness. This is a book that treats its readers with respect and a sense of adventure.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend KID VS SQUID to even the most reluctant tween reader. An...more
Princess
i loved this book! It was hilarious in every way and I could NOT put it down!
Kevin
Wacky summer adventure with lots of ocean-themed mayhem. It's fast-paced and has moments of good humor, but it was also a little hard to follow, and perhaps the most unforgivable, false advertising: no squid until page 169.

I read it aloud to my kids and they enjoyed it, though were also disappointed at the lack of squid.
Jeanne
Aug 25, 2010 Jeanne added it
The kids and I just finished this book and it's taken us a long time. Great, wonderful descriptions and use of language in this book. "Her voice was like little slugs covered in rust." Great message of friendship and self-confidence. The language is a bit difficult, but even if the reader didn't know all of the words, they could still get the gist of the story.
Heather
The title is fabulous, but I just couldn't get into the story. I could probably find some kids to recommend it to, but for most, it wouldn't be a must-read. Still, since we all have different tastes, there may be some who find this to be their favorite book ever. I did like the eccentric and bizarre Uncle Griswald - he was my favorite character of the bunch.
The Real Pokémon Victini
This is an awesome book! I read it every night and i could barely put it down! It is about a boy who stays at his Uncle's Museum for the summer,and meets a girl from Atlantis. The girl, his friend, Trudy, And he all go on an adventure to get back an Atlantean Object,or as they call it, a "What is it??" It's an amazing book!
Demrion Shields
I really liked how the book had a lot of flavor and description of the characters and what's going on during Thatcher's summer vacation. I think that Thatcher could have seen Skalla again though. but other than that the book was great and I loved it and I hope there will be a sequel to it.
Betsy
One Sentence Review: I should probably be more of a stickler for this book, but considering how fun it is and the great premise (the denizens of Atlantis are cursed to work as carnies every summer on land) this was one of the more enjoyable random little books of the year.
Janet
Oct 25, 2012 Janet added it
Shelves: fiction, sff, ya, 2011
A children's book that I read based on friends' recommendations. Very imaginative and funny, so I kept reading, but really too YA for my tastes.[return]BTW, did great books like this exist when I was a kid? I didn't have them, but I was in a library-deprived place.
Kristen Gurri
A fun read with a slightly paranormal bent. It's never too early for a little atlantis lore, plus I love all those gory old museums full of bits and bobs and fakery. So the setting was great. I think Colin will like this next year in third grade.
paula
We liked the humor and the wide spectrum of Dr. Moreau-type marine monsters. An off-season seaside town is the naturally creepy setting for a spooky mystery. Nice friendship details keep things from getting overly Scooby-Doo-esque.
Kathy
Giant attack squid! Kelp and lobster men! Seagull spies! Mummies and shrunken heads! Curses and an evil witch's head and a creepy Neptune house! Non-stop action and snarky humor give this lots of boy appeal. 3-6th grade
Julia Gay
Totally enjoyed this science fiction/fantasy!! Thrasher is hilarious, he would say or think things that made me laugh out loud and wish I could talk to a fellow reader!! A good time!! Good crossover!!
Esmeralda
I couldn't get into the book, everything felt rushed and unfocused. There are parts of the book that were very good and funny, it depends on your tastes. It wasn't bad. But I was disappointed.
Lea
Eekhout creates a world so vivid you can almost smell the seawater! With adventure at every turn Kid vs. Squid will keep readers of all ages captivated and curious. Highly recommended.
Red
May 29, 2010 Red rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Red by: Uncle Hugo
Take one look at the cover of this book (colossal giant cartoon squid (those eye brows!) & his kid friend) and tell me that you don't want to read it too! How could you not?
Joshua
Loved the title and cover and liked the beginning but felt it lost something about halfway through... decent but unexceptional...
Marisa
creative, original and fun plot. I liked the author's nod to Pacific Beach. Will definitely recommend this book to others.
Mark Pearson
Very, very funny! But disappointed that the beautiful Squid on the cover only appeared for a short time at the end.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
Quick humor, fast action, half men-half ocean creature hybrids. What's not to love?
Michelle
Fun and fast paced, wonderful use of language. An adventure worthy of an amusement park.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Bobby The Brave (Sometimes)
  • Jasper Dash and the Flame-Pits of Delaware (Pals in Peril #3)
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks
  • The Birthday Ball
  • No Such Thing As Dragons
  • The Secret Life of Ms. Finkleman
  • Penny Dreadful
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • School, Drool, and Other Daily Disasters (Justin Case, #1)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • Thomas and the Dragon Queen
  • Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)
  • The Prairie Thief
  • Leaving the Bellweathers
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
1957584
Greg van Eekhout writes books for kids and adults. He enjoys eating little tacos, walking along the beach, and practicing kung fu. About the kung fu: He's let himself get a bit slovenly, quite frankly, so please do not challenge him to a fight. He cries easily. He's a weeper. He lives in San Diego.
More about Greg Van Eekhout...
Norse Code The Boy at the End of the World California Bones Last Son of Tomorrow In The Late December