Start by marking “Loss (Gus Dury, #3)” as Want to Read:
Loss (Gus Dury, #3)

Loss (Gus Dury #3)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Gus Dury is a changed man. He is off the Edinburgh streets & back with estranged wife, Debs. He has promised her that he won't get involved in any more dodgy cases. Above all, he's off the drink. Then his brother, Michael, is found dead with a bullet in his heart and Gus' life begins to unravel all over again.
Published March 1st 2010 by Preface Publishing (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loss

Fiona Johnson
This is most definitely a series that I am now wll and truly hooked into. I love Gus the central flawed character who despite his best efforts gets hooked up in an investigation. Just hope he keeps that bottle of whisky in his pocket...temptation is always near! Brilliant!
Josh
There is a hopeless quality to LOSS, one that breads and multiplies through Gus Dury’s quest for vengeance over his brother’s untimely death. Author Tony Black has delivered one of the most emotional evocative noirs I’ve had the pleasure of reading – it’s tense, brutal, unforgiving, and entirely depressing. If a book could be described as a colour, LOSS would be grey. Every pages oozes noir, each chapter a nail in the coffin for hopes of a happy ending. Quality and completely endearing storytell ...more
Keith Nixon
Another cracker in the Gus Dury series. At the moment I'm reading nothing but Tony Black. His writing is sharp, gritty and fast paced. Loss is no exception. For me the mark of a great book is one I can't put down but don't want to finish. I polished off Loss far faster than I would have liked but I couldn't help myself! Thankfully I had another waiting in the wings...The characterisation is excellent, I really shouldn't like Gus or his friends, who are as messy, tough and uncompromising as he is ...more
Bigd_041555
Gus Dury - still a train wreck, a sober one in this book. Finally trying to straighten out his life, quitting drinking, back with his ex-wife, sold the pub, and is seeing a psychiatrist. You would think he was heading down a good road and toward a better life.

Right off the bat, he gets a phone call in the middle of the night that nobody wants to get - no details given, he just has to get his butt to the police station ASAP.

Everything goes to hell and back from there.

Good story line about Russian
Sandra
Oh dear. I certainly did Tony Black no favours by reading him straight after Colum NcCann; it was, to use the sort of metaphor he so liberally scattered throughout this, like comparing barbed wire to Baileys; a scatter gun of puns and slang and a hectic-paced tale which verged on the incoherent.
Probably a fine example of that particular slant of the genre but missed the target for me this time.
Brandon Nagel
Another winner. Definitely one of my favorite series of books out there. Tony Black is one of, if not the best in the genre. If you have not read him, start at the beginning of this amazing series of books and prepare for an emotional roller coaster thrill ride. I didn't think it was possible, but he gets better and better with each book. Read it.
Jacqueline Tait
Enjoyed this instalment of Gus Dury, was a bit slower than the previous book but good plot with plenty twists and turns.
Joanne Parkington
Really good read ... what a cliffhanger .. I await my copy of Long Time Dead with baited breath.
Tim
Jan 15, 2013 Tim added it
Very good book, would recommend
Marie Marcham
Marie Marcham marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Victoria Mitchell
Victoria Mitchell marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Kittykorn
Kittykorn marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Tom Greer
Tom Greer marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
William
William marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Craig Mccall
Craig Mccall marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Cattie
Cattie marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Katherine Byrd
Katherine Byrd marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Jason Duke
Jason Duke marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Gus Dury (6 books)
  • Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Gutted (Gus Dury, #2)
  • Long Time Dead (Gus Dury, #4)
  • Long Way Down
  • Last Orders (a Gus Dury crime thriller)
Truth Lies Bleeding Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1) Gutted (Gus Dury, #2) Murder Mile The Storm Without