Start by marking “Loss (Gus Dury, #3)” as Want to Read:
Loss (Gus Dury, #3)

Loss (Gus Dury #3)

Gus Dury is a changed man. He is off the Edinburgh streets & back with estranged wife, Debs. He has promised her that he won't get involved in any more dodgy cases. Above all, he's off the drink. Then his brother, Michael, is found dead with a bullet in his heart and Gus' life begins to unravel all over again.
Published March 1st 2010 by Preface Publishing (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loss

Nick Davies
Apr 23, 2016 Nick Davies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Somewhere in the region of Stuart MacBride and Stuart Neville, Tony Black's grim Scottish crime noir seems to have flashes of bitter humour, but a little too much in the way of unlikeable bastards being unspeakably violent to other unlikeable bastards. This novel - essentially the story of a grizzled Edinburgh ex-hack taking revenge on those who killed his brother - mainly worked and was mainly an absorbing read, but sometimes just went too far into the realms of silliness. With hindsight it was ...more
Keith Nixon
Sep 30, 2012 Keith Nixon rated it it was amazing
Another cracker in the Gus Dury series. At the moment I'm reading nothing but Tony Black. His writing is sharp, gritty and fast paced. Loss is no exception. For me the mark of a great book is one I can't put down but don't want to finish. I polished off Loss far faster than I would have liked but I couldn't help myself! Thankfully I had another waiting in the wings...The characterisation is excellent, I really shouldn't like Gus or his friends, who are as messy, tough and uncompromising as he is ...more
Fiona Johnson
Oct 11, 2011 Fiona Johnson rated it it was amazing
This is most definitely a series that I am now wll and truly hooked into. I love Gus the central flawed character who despite his best efforts gets hooked up in an investigation. Just hope he keeps that bottle of whisky in his pocket...temptation is always near! Brilliant!
Josh
Jun 21, 2012 Josh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read_2013
There is a hopeless quality to LOSS, one that breads and multiplies through Gus Dury’s quest for vengeance over his brother’s untimely death. Author Tony Black has delivered one of the most emotional evocative noirs I’ve had the pleasure of reading – it’s tense, brutal, unforgiving, and entirely depressing. If a book could be described as a colour, LOSS would be grey. Every pages oozes noir, each chapter a nail in the coffin for hopes of a happy ending. Quality and completely endearing storytell ...more
Diane
Jan 21, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
Gus Dury - still a train wreck, a sober one in this book. Finally trying to straighten out his life, quitting drinking, back with his ex-wife, sold the pub, and is seeing a psychiatrist. You would think he was heading down a good road and toward a better life.

Right off the bat, he gets a phone call in the middle of the night that nobody wants to get - no details given, he just has to get his butt to the police station ASAP.

Everything goes to hell and back from there.

Good story line about Russian
Rory Costello
Mar 09, 2015 Rory Costello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tony Black does something difficult here: he keeps a series fresh and interesting. His troubled hero, Gus Dury, gets a new set of difficulties to face. We also get more of the back story about the childhood that shaped Gus. But the main thing with a Gus Dury story is the way he sinks his teeth into a case and just will not let go, no matter what the disastrous consequences may be. There's a lot of cracking slangy dialogue with his buddies Hod and Mac, and the mystery turns out to pack a good sur ...more
Sandra
Oh dear. I certainly did Tony Black no favours by reading him straight after Colum NcCann; it was, to use the sort of metaphor he so liberally scattered throughout this, like comparing barbed wire to Baileys; a scatter gun of puns and slang and a hectic-paced tale which verged on the incoherent.
Probably a fine example of that particular slant of the genre but missed the target for me this time.
Brandon Nagel
Nov 20, 2012 Brandon Nagel rated it it was amazing
Another winner. Definitely one of my favorite series of books out there. Tony Black is one of, if not the best in the genre. If you have not read him, start at the beginning of this amazing series of books and prepare for an emotional roller coaster thrill ride. I didn't think it was possible, but he gets better and better with each book. Read it.
Tim
Oct 27, 2012 Tim added it
Shelves: 2014
Very good book, would recommend
Joanne Parkington
Jan 07, 2013 Joanne Parkington rated it really liked it
Really good read ... what a cliffhanger .. I await my copy of Long Time Dead with baited breath.
Jacqueline Tait
Apr 04, 2013 Jacqueline Tait rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this instalment of Gus Dury, was a bit slower than the previous book but good plot with plenty twists and turns.
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Renee
Renee rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2017
Raymond McCoy
Raymond McCoy rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Evan
Evan rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Jane Rennie
Jane Rennie rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Paul Brazill
Paul Brazill rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Davey Thain
Davey Thain rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
brucelibrarian
brucelibrarian rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Joy
Joy rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2012
Russ
Russ rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
David Thomas
David Thomas rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2014
W. Brown
W. Brown rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2017
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2012
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Raymond Howie
Raymond Howie rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Anthony James
Anthony James rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Kimmy
Kimmy rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2014
Mrs T Mcinnes
Mrs T Mcinnes rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

Gus Dury (4 books)
  • Paying For It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Gutted (Gus Dury, #2)
  • Long Time Dead (Gus Dury, #4)