Start by marking “Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading” as Want to Read:
Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading

Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Learn everything you need to know to implement an integrated system of assessment and grading. The author details the specific benefits of formative assessment and explains how to design and interpret three different types of formative assessments, how to track student progress, and how to assign meaningful grades. Detailed examples bring each concept to life, and chapter ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Marzano Research Laboratory (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Formative Assessment & Standards-Based Grading

Jane
Sep 18, 2012 Jane rated it it was ok
Shelves: education
I very much admire Marzano's work, but this book was in some ways too basic and in many ways unnecessarily technical.
Amanda Roenicke
Jun 15, 2013 Amanda Roenicke rated it really liked it
This really shaped my beliefs about the role of assessment in the classroom. It was an uncomfortable change, yet I believe that moving to a standards-based model is more ethical and better for students.
Stephanie
Aug 28, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
Over the summer I went to Las Vegas for a JEA Advisers Institute. It was pretty awesome. Chris and I went a couple of days early and we played around and then when he left it was time for some learning.

One of the best sessions I attended was one about Systematic Grading presented by Sandra Coyer. If you are a teacher or know a teacher or read the news to learn about education you know that standards-based grading, common-core standards, holistic scoring, grading for learning, essential learning
Sharon
Aug 11, 2010 Sharon rated it it was ok
While on the surface this book presents some very practical and useful strategies for assessment, I am finding that when the rubber hits the pavement there are some issues that Marzano seems to identify as unacceptable and that in my experience are almost unavoidable. I bought this book and sever others of Marzano's after hearing him speak several months ago on the topics presented in this text of formative assessments. In creating my own assessments with questions at level 2, 3, and 4 of comple ...more
Kathy
3.5 A very solid technical manual for standards-based assessment. There are more specific books just on formative assessment that would be a better place to start if that is your area of interest. however, nothing beats Marzano for detail and specific instructions when it come to fair and reliable grading systems. Our current computer program for reporting wouldn't support a standards-based report...but I have a clear idea now of what we can work toward.
Darren Kuropatwa
Aug 02, 2015 Darren Kuropatwa rated it really liked it
Thoughtfully written with lots of thought-provoking ideas. The notion of "formative scores" as opposed to everything else I've read about formative assessment. In short, if you put a number on it it's not formative. The systems towards the end of the bug, regarding assessment and grading, will not be a perfect fit into any classroom or school division reporting process. But I like that. in order to adapt Marcianos ideas to any classroom will require some time and thought. Towards the end of the ...more
Michael Heneghan
Oct 23, 2013 Michael Heneghan rated it liked it
It took half a year or so ( or more!), but i finally finished this one. If you teach, you know who Marzano is and how respected he is in the field of educational research. This book makes me think that respect is deserved. Marzano goes in depth about what formative assessment is--and importantly, what it is not--and standards based grading. I am am interested in both, but the former is what prompted me to pick up this book. It has affected the way i assess my students, so, in my view, this was a ...more
Dodie
Jun 02, 2016 Dodie rated it really liked it
Great practical ideas on how to assess students by standards, and not arbitrary grades.
Dean
May 12, 2014 Dean rated it liked it
Alex Meeres
Apr 14, 2013 Alex Meeres rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teachers, principals, superintendents of curriculum & instruction
Shelves: education
I liked Marzano's presentation of research in the area of formative assessment, and he has some sensible ideas about organizing assessment data. In some cases, though, it seemed as though his different tiers of assessment differed according to category more than complexity. I do not feel Marzano sufficiently answered the question, "What evidence should be used for a final grade," either. I might use some of what this book offers, but it is not a comprehensive book on the subject.
Monta
Mar 07, 2013 Monta rated it liked it
I'm still struggling a bit with standards based grading. This book talked about it, but a lot of the book was specifically how to implement it--with reviews and worksheets and reproducibles. Definitely more a how-to than a discussion about it, though the first chapter was research and theory. If you're a teacher looking into standards based assessment, this might not be a bad read.
Holly VanSkike
Jan 19, 2014 Holly VanSkike rated it it was amazing
This book was great! I read it to learn how to implement standards-based grading in my classroom. I feel like it told me exactly what I needed to know to get started!
Mrs.George
Aug 15, 2011 Mrs.George rated it liked it
While this book offers some strategies for record keeping and rationales for the superiority of formative assessment and standards based grading, I am left feeling unready to implement such changes without distorting the intent.
Stuart Macalpine
Nov 21, 2013 Stuart Macalpine rated it liked it
Very US-based, particularly in the association between the 4.0 scale of grading and standards-based assessment. But some excellent data on effect sizes of feedback and a useful source book for standards-based assessment.
Valerie
Feb 07, 2013 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: teacher-workshop
I felt like there were some really interesting points on how to creat and score CFAs. Since we are new to CFA creation in my district it offered some good insight!
Angela Brewington
Jul 14, 2013 Angela Brewington rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!!!! The author gives plenty of examples and moves you step-by-step on how to make this change in the way grading happens in a classroom.
Cheryl
Jun 27, 2014 Cheryl rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely boring, and supremely unhelpful...if I could give this zero stars, I would! Don't waste your money on this one.
Michael
Feb 16, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Another logical and well organized framework for quality instruction. A wonderful companion book to O'Connor's 15 fixes.
Kathy Conley
Aug 19, 2013 Kathy Conley rated it liked it
I felt like this was pretty basic information, but relevant to changes in grading and assessments.
Deanna
Deanna rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Toni Madison
Toni Madison marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Rosanna
Rosanna is currently reading it
Jun 12, 2016
Leah
Leah is currently reading it
Jun 10, 2016
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Nansi
Nansi added it
Jun 04, 2016
Sari Mayer
Sari Mayer rated it it was ok
May 21, 2016
  • Classroom Assessment for Student Learning: Doing It Right--Using It Well
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Fair Isn't Always Equal: Assessing & Grading in the Differentiated Classroom
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • A Repair Kit for Grading: 15 Fixes for Broken Grades
  • 50 Things You Can Do With Google Classroom
  • Enhancing Professional Practice: A Framework for Teaching
  • Image Grammar : Using Grammatical Structures to Teach Writing(Bk & Cdrom)
  • The Case Against Standardized Testing: Raising the Scores, Ruining the Schools
  • Checking for Understanding: Formative Assessment Techniques for Your Classroom
  • Strategies That Work: Teaching Comprehension for Understanding and Engagement
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • The Power of Our Words: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Teaching with Intention: Defining Beliefs, Aligning Practice, Taking Action, K-5
  • Choice Words