Edge of Midnight (McClouds & Friends #4)

Edge of Midnight (McClouds & Friends #4)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  2,379 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Shannon McKenna creates characters readers never forget--and in her latest novel, Sean McCloud must protect the woman he has never stopped loving: Liv Endicott. Years ago, Sean had to send Liv Endicott away to save her life. Now he has to keep her closer, very close--for the same reason . . .

THE BREAKING POINT
On the very day an arsonist burns down Liv's bookstore in a smal...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published August 1st 2007)

Auntee
Jun 08, 2009 Auntee rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of hot romantic suspense
This book tells the story of Sean McCloud, youngest of the four McCloud brothers, whose stories were told previously in "Standing in the Shadows" and "Out of Control".

Sean and his brothers were raised by their paranoid and delusional widowed father in the backwoods of Washington state. Older brothers Davy and Connor and friend Seth Mackey ("Behind Closed Doors") have all settled down with wives and are starting families of their own. But Sean's life seems to be on hold. He has never gotten over...more
Miss Kim
I absolutely loved Edge of Midnight, which is number four in the Mccloud & Friends Series. You definitely need to read these in order!

Kev McCloud committed suicide 15 years ago by driving his truck off of a cliff. Everyone thought he’d gone insane like their father had. It was a tough blow to the entire clan, especially Kev’s twin, Sean.

I’ve been anticipating Sean’s story since his brother, Conner’s, book, ,Behind Closed Doors. He’s looks like a fallen angel, and is so charming and funny tha...more
Holly
I think I found my new favorite in Shannon Mckenna's McCloud series. I loved this book and I loved Sean. He's the ultimate bad boy and a consummate man slut. He's also the proverbial class clown as well as an idiot savant. He was complicated and hysterical and I couldn't stop smiling or laughing over his antics. He's described as nearly out of control with his boundless energy and what better way to work off all that energy than engaging in sweaty, all night sex fests?! Most of my enjoyment came...more
Emily May

My first delve into the romantic suspense genre got me the amazing Naked in Death and I was suddenly really excited to read more of these mystery books. The problem here was, where Naked in Death and the other books in the series are a deeply developed psychological murder mystery with a sweet romantic subplot that is secondary to solving the case... Edge of Midnight is sex. Lots and lots of sex and love and sex and angst and sex. There's also a stalker on the loose, but we'll get to him once we...more
Zeek
With a woman in his bed every night- and sometimes two!- Sean McCloud seemed to be the most devil may care of his brothers. But all is not what it seems and when the love of his life re-enters his life, the mask his been wearing to cover the deep pain of his twin brother's tragic death is suddenly ripped away.

Olivia had just begun to get the independence she's always craved from her overbearing family, until an explosion destroys her beloved bookstore and an obsessed man marks her for death. All...more
Wminbc
Wow...I have not written a review for this book...I was browsing Baba's best sex scenes shelf and this one was on it...FOR GOOD REASON, PEOPLE!!!

Sean is a dirty, nasty, messy, delicious peice of flesh! He has burried his pain from the past in the body/bodies of women for nearly a decade. Manwhore does even begin to touch Sean's rep.

But when Liv comes back into his life...all bets are off. Sean is single minded in his pursuit and uses every skill he has honed while boned to make her his!

I love th...more
Kenna
Wow. There was lots o sex in this book. Id venture to say roughly 1/3 of the book was sex. It’s a big book too. I read while I’m at work. That was awkward.

Sex aside, this was my first McKenna and aside from the similarities with our names, I didn’t connect with the story much. I guess I have a hard time believing the jump back into your first loves bed without much thought…without really having been there in the first place. The basis of the story was great had I not been jumping back and forth...more
Lisa C
I Spent the entire book thinking it must have been written by a large biker chic. Or possibly a dude. The plot was mildly interesting if predictably implausible, but the sex scenes were just excessive and rough to the point of being silly.

I also need to grind a personal ax here. If you're going to make your characters of a particular profession, do the world a favor and do a little research. I'll give you that not every library has been able to afford the upgrade from a card catalog to an electr...more
Sandy
First book I read by McKenna and I instantly became a fan. I should have read the others but I found this because it was a new book in the New Books section. So I gave it a try. And let me tell you, this book is HOT. I loved it! I even read it a second time and I never do that. The suspense is gripping, the steamy romance between Sean and Olivia is majorly hot, and I loved everything about it. Well developed. One thing though that might piss you off: Olivia's mother is a major b*tch and very irr...more
Roksana
I hated this book so much that it took a will power to finish reading it! i loved Seth' and Connor' book but this one was a total let down!!!!

For starters, i cannot stand manwhore and unfortunately Sean did not redeem himself in this book... nor i could find any qualities about him apart from only one that he cared for his brothers...the rest about him was just slutty and unappealing. How come he loved Olivia for 15 years and did nothing to go after the women he supposedly love? Instead he just...more
Tpring
I read only about 20 percent and skimmed parts of the rest (mostly the ones involving naked bodies) because after 15 pages I hated the book with the passion of a thousand suns. I pondered this unusual fact and the main offender for me was definitely the language. Partly written in some dumbed down and bastardized 21st century version of a film noire private dick's monologue it felt coarse and sloppy*. The washed up hero is supposed to be quite intelligent (in the well known bright, but too much...more
Lauren
Edge of Midnight
3 Stars

Can't believe I'm writing this, but… this book has too much sex and it undermines the chemistry and emotional buildup of Sean and Olivia's relationship.

The suspense plot has tremendous potential. Unfortunately, it is completely overwhelmed by the excessive sexcapades and by the time the eventual showdown with the villains arrives it is almost an afterthought.

Sean is not as appealing a hero as I thought he would be - he is a total man slut, which is a huge turn off and hi...more
Kathleen
I loved this book as much as the 3 books in the series before it. I really like that the characters from the previous books where also in this book.
Sean was a total hunk! Oh he had some problems just as Davy did but boy the guy sure knew how to go to it between the sheets, lol!
I liked Liv too. She was smart, witty, brave and not a perfect size 5. She did cry a bit, but who would not after going through what she did.
I liked the side story of Cindy and Miles. I especially liked what Shannon did wi...more
Little Butterfly εïз
Loved this book. best in the series so far. It is packed with action and the story is very good. lots of sweet and hot moments between Sean, the youngest McCloud brother and his HEA Liv. She is a strong character, no super heroine but intelligent and loving.
I was happy that Miles plays a major part in this book. He is one of my favourite characters in the series. I was hoping for him having his own novel though. He is so different from the McCloud brothers who are all amazing looking sex gods, w...more
Lululemon
This was a rather macabre and disturbing read and just really, really, really sad on so many levels. It left me feeling really melancholy and with a heavy feel in my heart. What happened to Sean was so incredibly sad. The villains got away way too easily and there is no discussion in the end as to whether anyone was held accountable for the heinous crimes. The heroine's mother was just awful too. I am really not a fan of Olivia, the heroine, either. I thought she was a little self-absorbed. Afte...more
Jane Stewart
Loved it.

Another romantic suspense thriller from Shannon McKenna. This one centers around Sean McCloud, the ladies man and former military mercenary. This one kept me on the edge of my seat. It was hard to put down. Good story, good characters, lots of sex. It is like an exciting roller coaster ride. Sexual language: strong. Number of sex scenes: about fifteen. Setting: current day in U.S. Genre: erotic romantic suspense thriller.

For a list of my reviews of other Shannon McKenna books, see my 5...more
Applefruit
I hated this book so much that I almost swore off Shannon McKenna. The main guy, Sean McCloud, is seriously a big loser. He's obsessively in love with this fat girl (whom he constantly refers to as "the goddess"). Of course, all she does is spite him and treat him like dirt. Ugh. I hated this book. Only read it if you like heroes that have no dignity, no shame, and no self-respect. And if you enjoy reading about mean, hateful fat girls.
Elaine
Mmmmm, give me some Sean! That is one hot character!

I love McKenna's books, and the Mc Cloud series is a pure pleasure to read. This particular story is loaded with interesting situations and characters, plus the always extra-evil villains.

Loved the smoking hot sex scenes, if you like an alpha hero, look no further!

[image error]
Cassie
I would probably give this book a higher rating, but I'm just so sick of all the man-sluts in books these days. If it isn't okay for the heroine to have slept with hundreds of men, why should it be okay for the hero to have slept with hundreds of women. Ick.
If you can ignore his extreme promiscuity (and several other moments of his sheer stupidity), this is a decent book.
Manda Collins
Liked this one quite a lot. Interesting characters, good suspense. Would not recommend for those who do not like erotic romance, but was nice to read erotic romantic suspense that was good on both counts. A little too much sexxoring after a while, but other than that I liked. Also heroine was a librarian which is always a plus in my book:)
Jill
Best book in this series so far!! Loved Sean and his Liv. And wow what a plot, so full of action and suspense. I was biting my nails while sitting on the edge of my seat through the whole thing.
Sean has been a favourite of mine for a while now and I have been looking forward to his book and i have to say it didn't let me down.
Alicia
I think this one is my favorite so far. I still have to read Davy and Kev's stories though, so we'll see. I love Sean's character, he's a great mix of goofball fun and intense sexual magnetism. The plot was very well done too, with the twists and turns making sense and no one acting out of character. Loved it.
Stephanie
It took me FOREVER to read this book, but not because it wasn't good. It was fantastic! Sean is my favorite brother of the bunch.

I am going to take a McKenna break now. I need a bit of a break from the intense thrill ride that the first 4 books have taken me on!

Robin *loves sexy books*
sean and liv were my favorite couple out of the series. connor and erin are a close second.

if you are looking for a great, romantic, suspense with serious hotness...you should really start this series from the beginning. it's really wonderful.
Samantha
I deducted a star just because of Cindy and Miles. I couldn't even deal with it. But on the bright side, there was lots of sex :) and I liked Sean a lot :) Can't wait to continue on with the series.
Sofia Grey
< SPOILERS >

This turned out to be the 4th in a series of linked novels, but it worked excellently on its own.
Sean is the mouthy, impulse-driven younger brother in the McCloud family and he starts the novel in a bad place. Fifteen years ago he fell hopelessly in love with Liv Endicott but acting on a warning from his now-dead twin, he finished with her as a way to ensure her safety. Shortly after, his twin (Kev) committed suicide and he’s spent the past fifteen years trying to come to term...more
Soby
Edge of Midnight is the fourth in the McCloud series, telling the story of Sean McCloud and the girl whose heart he broke for her own good, Liv.

I was really looking forward to this book since the main character, Sean, had made an appearance in previous books as an irreverent and laid back goofball/hottie (and gave me the terrific line, "Better to ask forgiveness, than permission, I always say"). Unfortunately, when we finally get a look inside his mind, he's annoyingly tortured and just as macho...more
July
Sean McCloud is spending the anniversary of his twin brother's death like he usually does with lots of booze and women. His is doing his best to cope. Fifteen years ago Kev committed suicide going over a cliff in his car. This morning as he is walking home with a hangover his older brothers pick him up, they have followed him all night long!!! He is Livid Mad... He wants nothing more than to be left alone today of all days.

When he gets a call later from a private investigator that has been keep...more
Farah
Sean is in a league of his own He was one hell of a dirty mouthed smart ass .. he's the kind of person you can't have a conversation with in public !! and did I mention that he's a complete hunk *giggle* though I'm not sure what he's on *if you know what I mean* Liv was spunky and clever .. she kept Sean on his toes and had him flat on his back both figuratively and literally !! Their scenes were hot and the villains were super creepy.Entertaining.
  • Time to Run (SEAL Team 12, #3)
  • Willing
  • Under the Wire (The Bodyguards, #5)
  • Caught (Gemini Men, #1)
  • Midnight Angel (Midnight, #3)
  • Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2)
  • Ice Blue (Ice, #3)
  • Take Me Tonight (Bullet Catcher, #3)
  • Return to Me (Last Chance Rescue, #2)
  • Never Say Never (Callahan Brothers, #2)
  • Crazy Cool (Steele Street, #2)
  • Moving Target
Also wrote five category romances under the penname Shannon Anderson

::From The Author's Website::

HOW IT ALL BEGAN

I started writing my first romance novel in secret. I was working a temp job in an insurance office in Manhattan at the time, and the office manager had made it clear that even if there was nothing to do, I still had to look busy-- never one of my big talents. I felt bad about the waste...more
More about Shannon McKenna...
Behind Closed Doors (McClouds & Friends #1) Standing in the Shadows (McClouds & Friends #2) Out Of Control (McClouds & Friends #3) Extreme Danger (McClouds & Friends #5) Ultimate Weapon (McClouds & Friends, #6)

“Don't be stupid, privacy is an illusion in today's electronic world. And i always investigate the people who interest me” 31 likes
“Do the hard thing” 13 likes