Start by marking “His Bright Light: The Story of Nick Traina” as Want to Read:
His Bright Light: The Story of Nick Traina

His Bright Light: The Story of Nick Traina

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  4,476 Ratings  ·  360 Reviews
"This is the story of an extraordinary boy with a brilliant mind, a heart of gold, and a tortured soul. It is the story of an illness, a fight to live, and a race against death.

I want to share the story, and the pain, the courage, the love, and what I learned in living through it. I want Nick's life to be not only a tender memory for us, but a gift to others. . . . I woul
Published February 25th 2009 by Dell (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about His Bright Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Bright Light

Randye Kaye
Mar 24, 2011 Randye Kaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Danielle Steel book. Yes, it is partly because I share her experience of parenting a child with mental illness (though Nick had childhood-onset bipolar disorder and my Ben has schizophrenia which began to appear gradually in his mid-teens) - but, this common thread aside, I couldn't help but applaud Steel's candor and courage in sharing her experiences with the world.

Her Nick is vibrant, charming, brilliant - and troubled. Steel struggles to understand, especially in the ligh
Carol Storm
Aug 16, 2016 Carol Storm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so astonished by this true story. I knew that Danielle Steel could tell a good story, and I knew that a true story of how she lost one of her children would be incredibly wrenching and tragic. But I never would have believed an author who writes so often about wealthy, jet-set type people would have a personal voice that was so warm, direct, down to earth and candid.

It's hard to make this clear in a review, but this is not at all a sad or depressing book. The fact that Nick didn't make it
Gina
Jan 15, 2011 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having a child with Bipolar disorder and suffering from it myself I can only say that Danielle Steel is not only and amazing writer in my opinion but a damn good mother! To have lived through the trials and tribulations of Nick's precious short life, to fight to help him win and only lose him in the end must have been more then hell. I can only imagine what this woman went through.
From the other perspective though, Nick's as it is told by Danielle Steel, wow she really did understand.
I know he m
Kelly
Jan 01, 2017 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danielle-steel

This book starts from the birth of Nick, Danielle's second child and we follow their lives right through his unusual quirks and deemed 'odd' behaviour until he is given a label & continues on the road to battle Manic depression/Bipolar Disease.
What stands out from the story is the deep love, fiercely strong parental instinct and hard determination not to give up but yet we see the tortured constant questioning herself about decisions she makes with his treatment/medication. Nick was bright,
Luckngrace
Oct 02, 2011 Luckngrace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, psychology
I read this book because of my own bipolar daughter. She's also been suicidal several times, but she'll soon die anyway from hepatitis C or liver cancer. You see, bipolars don't want to take their meds but, since their body needs the meds, they're drawn to cocaine or pain pills or heroin. I say hep C or liver cancer because people who do drugs lie and lie and manipulate and manipulate, but I can see her dying before my eyes. I have to wonder what help I could have given her had I possessed Danie ...more
Donna
Aug 06, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Donna by: Kathleen Carrick
Shelves: biography
In 1998, when Danielle Steel’s son Nick died, what is now “bipolar disorder” was still called “manic-depressive.” In this book from the heart, Steel documents what this condition does to those who have it and those around them, in the context of her son’s short but remarkable life. I admire the author’s courage in sharing her story.

Although much is now known about the brain and common mental disorders, including bipolar, there is still a general lack of understanding and awareness in our culture
Esther David
This was one of the kinds of books you both love and hate. At least it was for me. I had started reading after a gap and I hated that I started off with it. But now looking back, I think it was definitely a good book. The way Danielle Steel takes us through the rollercoaster ride of bringing up a son like Nicholas Traina was fabulous. Only a mother who brought up a person like him could write such a moving tale. However I hated that since she had money as celebrity, Nick had a lot of access to t ...more
Sheree
Daniel Steele's hopes in writing about her son's life-long struggle with the condition 'manic depression' now known as Bipolar Disorder are expressed in her quote -

"I want to share the story, and the pain, the courage, the love, and what I learned in living through it. I want Nick's life to be not only a tender memory for us, but a gift to others...
I would like to offer people hope and the realities we lived with. I want to make a difference. My hope is that someone will be able to use what we l
Lauren Marie
Apr 17, 2013 Lauren Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second time around, it's been years since I read this touching, inspiring, yet tragic story. It not only tells the story of Danielle Steel's son but also sheds light on bipolar disorder in so far as at what age can you diagnosis and medication treatments available. It shows both sides of the mental health community- the good and the bad.
All the money and access to treatment her son had and we, as a society, wonder why there are so many less fortunate people struggling and suffering with mediocr
Mimi
Nov 06, 2010 Mimi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a heartbreaking book. As a mother of a bipolar son, it was a difficult read. After reading part way through the first chapter, I tossed the book across the room and couldn't pick it up again for months. I was frustrated with the mom's lack of education about bipolar illness and the many freedoms her money allowed him to gain access to without proper supervision. Ultimately, Nick was bent on a path of self-destruction, as many who suffer from bipolar are. His death was a tragedy and I cr ...more
Dora Santos Marques
A minha opinião em vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tln7_...

Li este livro há alguns anos e fez-me chorar tanto, tanto. Pensando bem, penso que foi o único livro que me fez chorar à séria.
É a história verdadeira de um dos filhos da Danielle Steel (foi o único livro que li da autora) que nasceu com um distúrbio maníaco-depressivo.
Toda a família passou imenso com ele e Nick viveu uma vida de tormento, acabando com a mesma aos 19 anos.
Para quem gosta deste tema de doenças mentais, é uma livro
Stephanie Ann
I'm really torn on how to review this book. I read it because as an author I love Danielle Steel. Also, the battle that her son had with being bipolar, manic-depressive hits very close to home with me. I hoped to read this and grab insight, and see how she handled the battle and struggles that are "bipolar lows". I'm not sure that it did that, but I was touched by her journey.

It was a very touching story of unconditional love. She loved her son for every second of his life regardless of what he
Redfox5
What could have been a beautiful and moving book was ruinned slightly by Danielle's waffling. This is the third book I've read by her and I'm seeing a pattern. The stories she tells are interesting she just ends up making them less so by repeating herself. I'm not sure why she does this? To make the book longer? Because she thinks the reader is stupid and unable to remember something she told them a couple of pages ago? I have loads of books by her on my tbr list and I hope they are not all like ...more
Ghizlane
Oct 24, 2015 Ghizlane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel, the famous writer, speaks in this book about the story of her son Nick. Since his early age, Nick was seen as a bright, talented and charming child. His gift for writing was astonishing for a child his age, his musical talent was extraordinary, his social intelligence was at its top level, but the time he started the junior school, some alarming signs were seen in this extraordinary child, like not being able to sleep, having depression, panicking during social events, not being ...more
Jen
Oct 28, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very moving, interesting book: gives a glimpse into the life of Danielle Steel's son who was severely manic-depressive. I used to read DS when I was in late H.S./early college but her characters are always so predictable and so much of the plots tie into the characters being wealthy and beautiful. (That got old.) But I loved this book, which is nonfiction. I wish DS had included the journals from his last 2-3 years, as I think they would have been very telling. After reading it, I feel a soft sp ...more
Sophie
Mar 10, 2013 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure how to feel about this book.

It was interesting, but I felt she wanted to explain her mistakes, to gain redemption. It is hard to have anyone you love with mental illness. But pushing him this hard, conjuring the feeling in him that "I'm not healthy", isn't a good way.

Not one calm moment, no wonder he was frustrated. There is always a chance to commit suicide, mental illness is hard to bear. But there are more gentle ways, with a calm environment, some relief will come.

He was a gre
Tweedledum
A harroŵing read especially if, like me, you are living with the spectre of mental illness in the family. Danielle Steel's battles to get her son properly diagnosed and then her descriptions of the difficulties of everyday life reverberate loudly with my own experience. The unwritten messages I received from this book are :

Don't give up fighting for your loved one.
Don't lose sight of who they really are.
Keep on encouraging and supporting them no matter what they say or do.
Try and develop a netw
Jill Robbertze
I have very mixed feelings about this book. I'm deeply sorry for what happened to Nick and for D.S and her family's loss but I couldn't help suspecting that drug abuse played a bigger part than what was described in the story. I do think Nick's whole situation was very unique due to the family background, being brought up very spoiled, having so many siblings, having a famous and busy mother. Although interesting, I also found this a somewhat tedious read due to too much repetition.
Diane
Oct 04, 2009 Diane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started out interesting to me, finding it amazing that not too long ago, Danielle Steele had such a hard time trying to get her son, Nick, diagnosed with manic depression, but as the book kept going, it became harder to read, as I felt she was trying to convince herself that she was a good mother. There is no doubt that she went through a lot to try to get the best care for her son.
Kim
Jan 07, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though there is some hard language in here and the topics of suicide and manic depression are tough to read about, this story is real. The struggles are real. The disease is a killer and the cure unfound still. I loved this mother's perspective.
I also envied her the resources and support people she had in feeling with this child. What some of us wouldn't give for those resources!
Kimbox
Jan 08, 2009 Kimbox rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, very good explanation of bipolar and how it manifest itself. Very heart wrenching and touching, but very well worth the read if you are touched by someone who suffers from mental disorders (bipolar, depression, ...).
Karen Miller
Mar 30, 2009 Karen Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who has ever struggled with a child dealing with depression will be able to relate to this nonfiction account. Anyone who wants to understand what it is like to struggle with a child who is dealing with depression should read this book. It is informative, sensitive and well written.
Trisha Bjorklund
Couldn't even finish it, horrible writing!! The book is more about why Danielle Steel is not to blame for what happened to her son. There's got to be a lot of guilt there from putting herself and her career first and not helping out her son when he needed it most.
Kathleen
Oct 17, 2011 Kathleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Seems as though DS was trying to glorify her role in caring for her bipolar son. She blames so many people for his lack of diagnosis instead of herself. Disappointing & not enlightening.
Stacey Harrison
Jul 31, 2016 Stacey Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartful and insightful.. Whole new respect for Danielle Steel..
J Jahir
Feb 11, 2017 J Jahir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esta es la biografía de Nick Traina, uno de lo shijos de Danielle Steel que padecía de trastorno bipolar. Asimismo con este libro nos va permitiendo conocer un poco más de ella, de steel como madre, como esposa, como escritora, mientras cuenta con gran cariño las dificultades a las que se tuvo que enfrentar junto con Nick, y cómo ella misma dice que de tenía una conexión muy especial. es bastante recomendable.
Selin Nalbant
Feb 12, 2017 Selin Nalbant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kesinlikle okurken yaşadıklarına ortak oldum. Ne güçlü bir kadın. Yaşadıklarını paylaşması benim için kitabı yukarılara taşıyor. Arayan herkes şifasını bulsun.
Clarissa
Jan 20, 2014 Clarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer Dominguez
His Bright Light The Story of my Son. Nick Traina

Danielle Steels the book His bright light is a haunting story of a young man and the mother who loved him.

The theme of this well written book is about a mother trying to cooperate with her son. Nick Traina was such an amazing intelligent young man going through a bipolar mental issue. As he starts growing up he goes through different stages in his life. Nobody else seems to realize but his mom. Everybody thinks he is just going through a teenage p
Jonjane Doe
This is the story of an extraordinary boy with a brilliant mind, a heart of gold, and a tortured soul. It is the story of an illness, a fight to live, and a race against death. – See more at: http://daniellesteel.com/blog/his-bri...

Sometimes people who love bipolar people are quite bipolar in describing the experience. Adoration and pain, it’s perfectly logical. It took me roughly a quarter of the book to sidle guiltily past that and into Nick Traina’s life.

I gotta say, Danielle Steel sounds lik
Alpha Prime Elite 1 1 Feb 22, 2017 04:17AM
Danielle Steel Bo...: His Bright Light 1 4 Dec 29, 2014 01:44PM
Danielle Steel Bo...: His Bright Light: The Story of Nick Traina 1 5 Nov 20, 2012 08:45PM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Call Me Anna: The Autobiography of Patty Duke
  • Ben Behind His Voices: One Family's Journey from the Chaos of Schizophrenia to Hope
  • Danielle Steel
  • Where Are the Cocoa Puffs?: A Family's Journey Through Bipolar Disorder
  • The Long Way Home
  • Will's Choice: A Suicidal Teen, a Desperate Mother, and a Chronicle of Recovery
  • 66 Days Adrift: A True Story of Disaster and Survival on the Open Sea
  • Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
  • Hannah's Gift: Lessons from a Life Fully Lived
  • All Fishermen Are Liars: True Tales from the Dry Dock Bar
  • The Other Side of the Mountain: The Story of Jill Kinmont
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“break-dancing became the” 0 likes
“Tu vas bientôt découvrir que dans la vie, on n'est jamais arrivé. Et que lorsqu'on pense que, ça y est, on peut souffler cinq minutes, un nouveau défi survient” 0 likes