Start by marking “The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber” as Want to Read:
The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,673 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Ernest Hemingway (Ernest Miller Hemingway; Oak Park, 1899 - Ketchum, 1961) Narrador estadounidense cuya obra, considerada ya clasica en la literatura del siglo XX, ha ejercido una notable influencia tanto por la sobriedad de su estilo como por los elementos tragicos y el retrato de una epoca que representa. Recibio el premio Nobel en 1954. Entre sus primeros libros se encu ...more
Published (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber

Vivian
May 30, 2015 Vivian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Hands down my favorite Hemingway piece.

Distill all that violence, impotence, and misogyny and you end up with this perfect little sip of disillusionment. I've reread it too many times to recall and it never fails to leave me smiling.
Fewlas
Sep 03, 2014 Fewlas rated it liked it
Shelves: racconti, americana
Con questo racconto è avvenuta una sorta di riconciliazione tra me e Hemingway. Forse ha aiutato il fatto di averlo letto in lingua, anche se a dir la verità non ho apprezzato molto la tiritera stile ”Alla fiera dell’est” con tutti quei periodi infilati uno dietro l’altro con vari that e and. Però almeno ho conosciuto la sua lingua senza filtri. Pesantuccia, sterile, ma senz’altro originale. Quello che ho più apprezzato però è stata la capacità di Hemingway di condensare in un breve episodio di ...more
Dalene
Apr 28, 2008 Dalene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've forgotten most of what I learned as an English major, but one thing I'll never forget is the completely indescribable feeling I had at the conclusion of The Short Happy LIfe of Francis Macomber. Hemingway is an excellent story teller and I particularly love his short stories.
Stephanie S
Jun 04, 2012 Stephanie S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This piece, like "White Elephants," is simple genius. It doesn't always take 300 pages to paint something unforgettable.
Menna Kh.
Mar 09, 2012 Menna Kh. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Very interesting. Very catchy.
One can't stop reading it until it meets its end.
Francis Macomber is married to Margot Macomber who accompanies him on a Safari trip guided by the macho man Robert Wilson, the hunter.

The trip is about hunting. A typical Hemingway theme to propose the strength or weakness of a man.

The narrative is amazing and one has to read between the lines to figure out the feelings and to draw the complete portrait of the story.

Hemingway's writings are too good to be reviewed, a
Peter
Aug 21, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I like short stories.
I've read francis macomber three times.
I can't think of any others I've read more than once.
Federica
Aug 21, 2008 Federica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Although 'The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber' is a short story, many controversial themes are gathered in only few pages.

The highest point of the narration is the well-structured description of the mean and sad grounds of expediency according to which Mr. and Mrs. Macombers got married, the way the reader is presented with the nature of their relationship and the consequences of the lack of love and mutual esteem between the two(If she loved her husband she would have not disregarded him
Realini
The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Ernest Hemingway

When we write about a book, we are supposed to judge it on its literary merits and not delve into how we feel about the writer, the breakfast we had before writing and such trivialities.
However, I am an amateur reviewer, who does this for the fun of it, with the remote possibility in mind that my daughter or possible future grandchildren might be curious one day to see what their ancestor thought about one book or another.
And this is a
Tortla
Jun 04, 2012 Tortla rated it really liked it
I read an (excellent) essay once on the way that Margot somehow manages to be a feminist figure in this highly masculinist tale, with its rugged Robert Wilson and its titular "short happy life" having Francis Macomber, Man. I don't remember the argument, really. Just that there's an essay out there about this story.

One of my favorite sentences (other than the very last one, which is also a good 'un):
'"Why not let up on the bitchery just a little, Margot," Macomber said...'
Jen
Jan 15, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first Hemingway story. I actually researched which one would be best to read first, and many suggested The Old Man and the Sea. I decided to go with his book of short stories, which begins with this story. I'm happy to say I loved it!

The story began a little confusing to me with all this talk of a lion, but this is Hemingway we're talking about. I knew there had to be a point. And there was.

For such a short story, there's a great depth to the characters too. I mean, there are limits to how mu
Frahorus
Si sente in questo racconto breve che Hemingway è stato in Africa...
Questo racconto narra di un safari in cui prede e predatori si scambiano idealmente le parti: una lezione di vita che crudamente passa attraverso la morte.
Edward Jawer
Jan 22, 2016 Edward Jawer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lost in the Novels which have made Hemmingway the great author he was, is the short tale, well made into a movie, about a man who finds happiness at last, in the final moments of his life.

One of Hemmingway's great themes, throughout his astonishing work, is always the concept of what we term "Bravery", or the absence of fear in the face of adversity, including, and especially "Death".

This short novel has been overlooked in the great mass of his work, but deserves to be read because it explains i
Vincent Russo
Jun 07, 2014 Vincent Russo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Randy Tramp
Aug 04, 2015 Randy Tramp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Ernest Hemingway
It’s interesting that I started reading this short story before the news broke of Cecil the Lion being killed by a Minnesota Dentist. By the leading sentence, you probably figured out this story is about hunting, a lion being one of the hunted. I’ve never shot an animal, but I can see how the hunt would be very exciting. Hemingway brought out that excitement, along with the human side of people. There is a surprising end to this story,
ele.bi
Dec 14, 2015 ele.bi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: america
Era imbarazzatissimo per aver tirato fuori quella che era un po' la sua regola di vita, ma aveva già visto degli uomini diventare maggiorenni ed era sempre una cosa che lo riempiva di commozione. Non era come se avessero compiuto semplicemente il loro ventunesimo anno.
C'era voluta una caccia stranamente fortunata, un improvviso passaggio all'azione senza la possibilità di angustiarsi prima del tempo, per farlo succedere in Macomber, ma comunque fosse successo era sicuramente successo. Guarda que
Alan
Feb 24, 2010 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
picked this up, a 3 shillings and sixpence Penguin paperback at a charity do at work, along with several others (also be putting these on my to read shelf).

Pretty fine collection, some seem sketches (eg One Reader Writes) but Hemingway sketches are worth reading. As everyone says the title piece is outstanding, but others are nearly as good in different ways. I particularly liked The Light of the World in which two 'punks' banter with prostitutes at a station and After the Storm. In the latter
Madbutmagic
Mad But Magic YA Blog

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Beginnings and Endings!
In which Sam rants about the English language, raves about Hemingway (as usual) and rambles on absolutely forever.

For this week's TTT, we've been asked to share the best book beginnings & endings. I took this rather literally and sought out the words that most shook me up when I read them first (rather than "I'm so glad that X person got a dragon in the end" because, well, I am nearly always glad to rave about the presence/ra
Damien Travel
Sep 14, 2015 Damien Travel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
« The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber » is an African short story by Hemingway, an excellent one about lion hunting, about cowardice, courage and domestic conflict, all recurring themes in the author’s work.
To read more:
Zeynab Babaxani
زندگی خوش و کوتاه فرانسیس مکومبر، داستانی در مورد ترس هست. ترس، غرور، و چالش بین این دو
مردی به نام فرانسیس مکومبر به همراه همسرش به سفری تفریحی برای شکار میروند
ترس آقای مکومبر در مواجه شدن با شیرها و بوفالوها به همراه تحقیرهای همسرش کلیت داستان رو رغم میزنه
Khaled Eider
التجربة الثالثة لهمنجواى في القصص والروايات القصيرة
وقد باءت ايضا بالفشل
لا اعرف ان كان السبب في الترجمة .. او في همنجواي .. او فى كتابة همنجواي للقصص القصيرة
لعل تجربة اخرى تكون اكثر حظا
Kafuna Masinde
It is so like Ernest to prove to me time and time again that he could have written 'the book of my life'....a book that I could read cover to cover 12 times in a year....every year...
Cecy
Mar 03, 2014 Cecy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to read the short happy life of francis macomber for my English class and I'm glad my professor assigned it to us. An interesting and intense read...Ernest Hemingway is amazing
Trevor Ray
It was interesting reading the details of what African safaris were like in Hemingway's time, but I was annoyed that Hemingway gave away the ending by not so subtle hints towards the end.
Nandan
Typical Hemingway story - set in jungles of Africa, explores the fact how a simple event in hunting could forever change the dynamics in a connubial relationship.
Julie
Nov 26, 2014 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for American Lit

I liked this in the end but I kept getting distracted and had to read aloud to stay focused. Hemingway's style is always a bit too muted for my taste though.
Suha
حياة فرانسيس ماكومبير السعيدة القصيرة وقصص اخرى

الكتاب يتألف من 17 قصة قصيرة، يعرض بعضها فترة الحرب العالمية الاولى والثانية والتفاصيل الصغيرة كفرح الجنود بالمرسال لاعتقادهم بوجود الشوكلاته والسحائر او قدوم التعزيزات، وبعضها يناقش الانسان ووجوده في المجتمع، هل يوجد له اصدقاء يساندوه في الاوقات الصعبة، وهناك قصة تجد فيها تكرار الحياة لابطال القصة ..
اكثر مايشد في هذا الكتاب النزعة الى التفاصيل والدخول في نفس الانسان ومايريد بذات اللحظة التي يعيشها.
Ida Aasebøstøl
If a four-letter man marries a five-letter woman, he was thinking, what number of letters would their children be?
Cynthia Herda
Jan 02, 2016 Cynthia Herda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great story. I love to read Ernest Hemmingway and other classic Literature
Amit Bolakani
Jun 25, 2015 Amit Bolakani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What does courage mean? Read the titular story to know this!
Corton
Nov 13, 2013 Corton rated it liked it
Here was an interesting story by Hemingway. Great setting - on safari in Africa. Interesting characters - Francis Macomber - a want-to-be hunter, married to an annoying, obnoxious woman, not sure why they are still together, when she cheats on him with the safari guide/hunter who is mentoring Francis. He appears to be making progress in his hunting skills on the last hunt, when he about to make a kill and his wife well....revealing the ending......spoiler....
......
......shoots him! Wow! Didn't s
Tellus Book Club: The Short Happy Life 1 6 Jan 12, 2012 08:01PM
  • The Georgics
  • Fantomina and Other Works
  • The Warren Commission Report: The Official Report of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy
  • The Best of H.P. Lovecraft
  • Babylon Revisited (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • The Overcoat ; The Nose
  • The Faerie Queene, Book One
  • Hemingway: a Life Story
  • The Black Cat and Other Stories (Penguin Readers Level 3)
  • Ernest Hemingway
  • Nano Comes to Clifford Falls: And Other Stories
  • Moses Ascending (Caribbean Writers Series)
  • Decline Of The English Murder and Other Essays
  • The Gendered Society
  • Cuttlefish Bones
  • The Storm
  • Complete Works, Vol. 4: Old Times / No Man's Land / Betrayal / Monologue / Family Voices
  • Knight's Gambit
Ernest Miller Hemingway was an American author and journalist. His economical and understated style had a strong influence on 20th-century fiction, while his life of adventure and his public image influenced later generations. Hemingway produced most of his work between the mid-1920s and the mid-1950s, and won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954. He published seven novels, six short story collec ...more
More about Ernest Hemingway...

“We all take a beating every day, you know, one way or another.” 23 likes
“Because she had done the best she could for many years back and the way they were together now was no one person's fault.” 6 likes