Start by marking “Dark Room” as Want to Read:
Dark Room

Dark Room (Pete 'Monty' Montgomery #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  498 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews

Seventeen years ago, Morgan Winter was traumatized by the discovery of her parents' brutally murdered bodies in a Brooklyn basement on Christmas Eve. Now shocking new evidence overturns the killer's conviction and Morgan is confronted with the horrifying realization that the real killer is still out there.

Trapped in an emotional hell, she hires Pete "Monty" Montgomery,

Published March 27th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dark Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Room

Maria Clara
Dec 17, 2015 Maria Clara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy buena historia. Aunque el tema principal de la narración es el suspense -la resolución de un crimen cometido en el pasado-, la parte romántica no se queda corta. Su autora sabe dosificar la información y nos la va entregando gota a gota hasta mostrarnos a pocas páginas del final el verdadero criminal. En cuanto a los protagonistas, todos son especiales y nos muestran diferentes maneras de amar.
jenjn79
This is the second book that I've read by Andrea Kane, and while I can't say that it was absolutely fantastic, I enjoyed it enough. For me, there just wasn't any special zing to it to make me really love it. But it certainly wasn't downright awful.

In Dark Room, Morgan Winter is a young woman still trying to get over the brutal murder of her parents seventeen years earlier. To this day, she still has nightmares about finding the bodies in the basement of her mother's women's shelter. And now it
Michelle
Feb 09, 2008 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dark Room is supposed to be romantic suspense, but i really got neither of those things from this book. The plot had some ridiculously unrealistic coincidences and the dialogue was sometimes dumb and seemed forced. I barely got through this book. I almost quite a few times through it, but I hate not finishing things.
Amber Dickey
I liked this book enough to keep me going. The author isn't my favorite, but I enjoyed the characters.
Dallass
I enjoy Andrea Kane's writing style, so when I came across this book at my local library, of course I was taking it home. Although not as great as I'll Be Watching You, Scent of Danger, or Twisted, I still really enjoyed this book. Good suspenseful moments dotted throughout what is essentially a mystery with romance plot, but it's coupled with a great back story for our heroine that created great opportunities for our killer.

Although this is part of a series, it doesn't really matter if you have
Daniela S.
I want to give 3.5 stars, at least :)

Well, I actually liked the story, but I didn't like the conversations, you know? They seemed too forced many times... And I didn't feel something about the characters... Unless Monty. He was a serious man, smart and astute. I liked him.
I don't have much to say about the book. I kinda like it, but I didn't love it... There was something missing... Oh, the romance seemed too forced too.. I like Lane (Monty's son). He is wild and warm. And Morgan was a strong yo
Patricia
Mar 13, 2008 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark Room
Andrea Kane
Avon Books, 2007, 388 pps.
ISBN No. 978-0-06-074135-8

Morgan Winter has spent years trying to conquer her nightmares. Now Pete Montgomery, former police officer and currently a Private Investigator brings her news that can only plunge her deeper into her nightmares.

Morgan was ten-years old when her parents were brutally murdered. Morgan discovered the bodies. Pete Montgomery was a police officer and on the murder scene. He recognized how traumatized Morgan was and comforted he
Sue
Jan 08, 2015 Sue rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my type of book, became lost in plot to many times. General introduction of plot was intersting and the reason I decide to give it a try, as I hardly read romance. I have found early books by this author, not worthy of my time but later ones see a great improvement. My particular problem with her work is plot development, it goes in many directions with little connections to the paths. However, the characteristics of characters are what keep a reader interested.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"On Christmas Eve seventeen years ago, Morgan Winter was traumatized by the discovery of her parents' brutally murdered bodies in a Brooklyn basement. When shocking new evidence overturns the killer's conviction, Morgan is forced to face the horrifying realization that the real killer is still out there.

Trapped between past nightmares and present danger, she hires Pete Montgomery, the former NYPD detective who once promised the helpless young Morgan that he'd find her parents' killer. Wit
Maria Iona
Apr 09, 2016 Maria Iona rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Más un uno y medio que dos. Personajes profundamente estúpidos que tardan más de 500 páginas en convencerse de que aquello que parece leche, huele como leche y sabe como leche, no puede ser nada más que leche.
Jeane
May 17, 2013 Jeane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the 4th book of Andrea Kane I have read and I like her books a lot. 10 year old Morgan Winter finds the murdered bodies of her
parents. 17 years later, it turns out the man serving in prison for
their murder didn't do it. She hires the ex cop who was so good to her the night of the murder to find the real killer. Trying to imagine the trauma she went thru and then to find out the killer is still free, I don't know many people who could cope with that. The
ending is certainly one I didn't s
Amy
May 24, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love it! Fast-paced suspense, surprises, lovable characters to make this story an awesome read! Highly recommended!
Laura de Leon

Enjoyable but forgettable.
Susan
Good. Will read more from this author.
J
Jun 01, 2008 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Light reading in mystery romance genre, but interesting twists to plot, good forensic basis.

I couldn't help thinking how improbable that such a limited cast of characters would all play important roles -- especially the ones that appear to be peripheral.

I thought the ambivalent emotions of the main character -- NY yuppie Morgan Winter -- came off as very real.

This contrasts w. another crime novel by Kane,"Twisted," which I found to have complex plot machinations but chara
Katherine
Feb 03, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Total surprise ending!!
Marti
Aug 25, 2009 Marti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
better than the last book i found at the used book sale--still not as good as the authors i like best to read. it seemed that the 17 year old crime was mashed underfoot to the point where the reader might not even care if it was solved.

naturally there has to be romance as the story of the murders unfolds. just couldn't warm up to the characters.
Mel
Dec 19, 2013 Mel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: justbecausebooks
MEh, I had a hard time getting into this story. Action occurred too quickly. I felt there were some disconnects and things were rushed. When people instantly fall in love in stories, I just get annoyed more than anything, especially seemingly strong independent characters. Boo.
Farshana Sihab
surprising climax, loved the whole new angle in the end! loved the fact that Lane doesnt get to do the 'hero' stuff totally on his own. Monty has the major share n wat a way he gets to the bottom of things with each character havn a fair share in the storyline!!
Yvette
Mar 20, 2008 Yvette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up at the airport on my last trip for a light read and found it difficult to put it down. Nice mystery with a twist in the whodunnit at the end that I didn't foresee. Made me want to read additional books by this author.
Darcy
I find this author to be hit or miss for me, and this one was a miss and I am not sure why. The mystery is one that should be holding my attention, but after 60 pages the story moved very slowly and was not interesting. This one just isn't for me.
Michele
Jan 11, 2014 Michele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First book of 2014 ~ Kane, as always, a winner in the suspense department!
Carrie
Jul 29, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I thought I had it figured out. I was wrong.
I loved the hints the author threw in - hints that didn't feel like hints.
I just really wish she would rid her vocab of the words "murmured" and "flatly".
Jenna
I liked the idea and the character and would definitely try another book from this series. I did find it a little difficult to keep straight how everyone was related/interconnected, but that might have just been me.
Vicki Tate
/Fairly good suspense novel with some surprises. I found the plot somewhat slow but the author does a decent job of hiding some of the facts until almost the end. Somewhat middle of the road for me.
Karen
Mar 22, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who wants a beach read
Recommended to Karen by: bookreporter
I enjoyed this book, but I figured from about the 2nd chapter who the suspect was. I would read Ms. Kane's books again, but I think they are a read once and give away.
Cathi
Nov 04, 2012 Cathi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New to this author but I've read 4 of hers so far. I like the Montgomery family. If you read Iris Johanson, Lisa Gardner, Mary Higgins Clark you will like Andrea Kane.
Shirley
Oct 14, 2009 Shirley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Andrea Kane. This book was very good. It held my attention and it was an easy, quick read. I look forward to reading more of her books.
Janis
Feb 23, 2008 Janis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likies romantic suspense
Don't understand Michelle's bad review, the book I read was great and I loved reading every minute of it.
Amanda
Mar 25, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started a little slow, but not slow enough I wanted to read ahead. Very intriguing story!
  • Resistance
  • Black Water
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • Nemesis
  • Ice Trap
  • The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand, #5)
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • Code Name: Bikini (SEAL and Code Name, #9)
  • Nothing To Fear (Romantic Suspense, #4; Chicago, #3)
  • False Dawn
  • Here She Lies
  • Wait Until Dark
  • Flashback
  • Threat of Darkness
  • Facing Fear (S.A.S.S., #2)
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • First Daughter (Jack McClure, #1)
  • Tracking Bear (Ella Clah, #8)
Coming in May 2016 from Andrea Kane: The Murder That Never Was.

ANDREA KANE's psychological thriller, The Girl Who Disappeared Twice, became an instant New York Times bestseller, the latest in a long string of smash hits. With her acclaimed signature style of developing unforgettable characters and weaving them into carefully researched story lines, Kane has created Forensic Instincts, an eclectic
More about Andrea Kane...

Pete 'Monty' Montgomery (2 books)
  • Wrong Place, Wrong Time