Start by marking “How to Reassess Your Chess: Chess Mastery Through Chess Imbalances” as Want to Read:
How to Reassess Your Chess: Chess Mastery Through Chess Imbalances

How to Reassess Your Chess: Chess Mastery Through Chess Imbalances

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  596 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
How to Reassess Your Chess has long been considered a modern classic. This 4th edition takes Silman's groundbreaking concept of imbalances to a whole new level. Designed for players in the 1400 to 2100 rating range and for teachers looking for a ready-made chess curriculum, the author shares a mind-expanding journey that takes the reader through imbalance-basics, ensures t ...more
Published November 1st 2010 by Siles Press (first published 1991)

Steve
Nov 06, 2008 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess-books
If you can only get one book to improve your game, this one is it. Examples and exercises that cover ALL phases of the game, and even if you don't buy into Silman's "thinking technique" this book will introduce you to many advanced concepts (knights vs. bishops, bishop pair, support points, etc.)

THE KEY OF COURSE IS NOT JUST TO READ THE BOOK, BUT TO SET UP POSITIONS AND FOLLOW ALONG AS SILMAN EXPLAINS THEM: EVERY SINGLE ONE, ON EVERY SINGLE PAGE. Spend a couple months with this book, commit to r
Serge Pierro
Aug 16, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
Silman's great contribution to chess instruction! This is a MUST read for anyone looking to seriously improve their playing. I consider this to be one of the most important books ever written on chess strategy.
Anthea Carson
Aug 21, 2012 Anthea Carson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best chess books out there. The only one that I like better is another book by this same author, The Amateur's Mind: Turning Chess Misconceptions Into Chess Mastery. Silman changed the way I looked at chess positions. He added humor and analogy to how I looked at positions. I still think of terms like Running from Ghosts and the curse of the mindless king hunter when looking at a position. Those are concepts Silman introduced me to in The Amateur's Mind. This book is more about the im ...more
William Schram
Feb 28, 2016 William Schram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, games
This is a great book, but not one that you should read, this is a book that should be studied. Many of the ideas are in algebraic chess notation, and unless you are particularly good at visualizing the board, you should probably have one handy. Personally, I suck at visualization of the board, but I digress.

Silman has split this particular edition that I have into sixteen parts, each of which is thematically connected. Most of these parts are further subdivided into chapters. For instance, the f
Corey
May 19, 2012 Corey rated it really liked it
Shelves: chess
Well, it's Jeremy Silman, so of course the book is good. I think I liked the 3rd edition better though. I had more trouble getting through this one, for some reason, and I didn't like the exercises as much. I think the 3rd edition is a bit more accessible, and more broadly based. The fourth edition is more advanced and more focused on his imbalances approach to chess.
Corey
Jun 19, 2009 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, chess
The best chess book for the intermediate player. More than any other author, Silman explains how to truly think about chess and provides the fundamental skills necessary to improve your play to the next level.
Steve Toyne
Mar 02, 2012 Steve Toyne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
One of the best and most instructive chess books ever written for the amateur player.
Finlay
Liked it. Seems very good, but I don't really know how to play chess...
Murilo Andrade
Oct 12, 2014 Murilo Andrade rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess

Amazing book. This book fits perfectly someone in the ELO rang 1500-2000. It continues Amateur's Mind ideas, going much further. Once again, Silman describes incredibly well its imbalances framework. After reading this book, you should be able to assess a big number of positions, by identifying all the described imbalances, which helps a lot when finding plans for the position.

This book is huge, but it is worthful to be read from cover to cover, specially with the very easy to read ( often humo
Steve
Jan 05, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess-books
16JAN11. It won't arrive until the middle of the week. But when it does I'll dive right in. Going through the 3rd edition of How To Reassess Your Chess was an INVALUABLE experience. It opened my eyes to aspects of the game to which I previously had been oblivious. Supposedly Silman completely rewrote the book ("from scratch" was the phrase that caught my eye) greatly expanded it, rearranged it, chopped out the Basic Endgame chapter (the chapter that inexplicably OPENED the 3rd edition!), and add ...more
Puneet Gurnani
Aug 02, 2013 Puneet Gurnani rated it it was amazing
I have only just completed the 2nd chapter. My 2 cents:
1)A book on positional play/ strategy and planning.
2)if you are looking for tactics, openings or endgame you should look elsewhere
3)Silman recommends 1400-2100 rated players for this book. I would say 1700 and above. Players under 1700 I would say are more to gain by learning tactics as positional play/planning does not quite come into play when you tend to loose a pawn in a 2-3 move variation.
4)his theory of imbalances gives me a intuti
globulon
Jul 11, 2009 globulon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
I was dissappointed with this one. I have and like his endgame book. This book seemed to me mostly fluff. His strategic suggestion is to use wishful thinking. The chapter titles are promising and even serve as a decent outline of material that someone of my level (fairly low) should study to improve their middle game, but the actual content isn't there. Example games are only useful if they are carefully explained. I can understand a point from a chapter title and even see that a game is a good ...more
Kevin
Index of Players and Games
FranklinTV
Jun 18, 2016 FranklinTV rated it really liked it
Shelves: gaming
Flick thru quickly confirms that this should be a good book. My chess playing never got sufficiently serious, but if it ever does, Im sure I will refer to this.
Todd
Aug 17, 2015 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
A great book indeed, although I slightly prefer brain-melting masterpiece THE AMATEUR'S MIND.
Tom
Dec 06, 2015 Tom rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, the only thing that would improve this work is a download of the games in pgn or cbv format. I can not give more than 3 stars to any modern chess book that doesn't include the games in some electronic format, it just seams like a no brainer to include with the book?
Frederick Tan
Oct 21, 2015 Frederick Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant chess book written by a well known chess author Jeremy Silman.
Butch Mosier
Nov 01, 2014 Butch Mosier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best instructional books on chess I've ever read. Silman is a teaching genius.
Dogday
Mar 22, 2014 Dogday rated it it was ok
a little too advanced for me
Owen M
Nov 03, 2014 Owen M rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chess
Jeremy Silman is arguably the best chess author in history. I have never read a better chess book in my life, and I doubt that I ever will. Silman gives a wonderful description of putting together imbalances to create a winning position. I have used Silman's ideas in my own games very successfully. I don't what I'd have done without this book.
Aristo
Sep 10, 2015 Aristo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every chess player serious about improving.
Recommended to Aristo by: The TD of the tournament.
OMG!!! I only got this book from winning a tournament, but I must say that this is the best chess book that ever existed. With crystal-clear concepts and a fair share of humor too, this is THE book that any chess player must have!! An excellent work by Silman!
Justin
Nov 25, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing

I've played through this book 3 times and everytime I've learned soooo much more about position features of any given position. This book is a staple of any serious student of chess. I
Ted Cross
Feb 07, 2011 Ted Cross rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of chess books in my life, but this is the one that I return to again and again. It's hands down the best chess book there is!
Ali Hameed
Jun 15, 2015 Ali Hameed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book for the ambitious chess players who are looking forward to becoming a chess expert. I enjoyed reading every page of it.
Jim Scheller
May 16, 2011 Jim Scheller rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
If you are serious about your chess, no matter what your strength might be, I consider Jeremy Silman to be indispensible reading.
Vlad
Mar 30, 2013 Vlad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! One of the first chess books I read before I started playing OTB chess. It's mostly written for players in 1200-1800 range.
Seth
Mar 25, 2014 Seth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic, chess
I give this book much of the credit for my rating going from 1200 to 1700. It definitely opened my eyes!
Mark Cosslett
Apr 13, 2013 Mark Cosslett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Pretty low on my currently reading list, but wading through it. Chess is a life long pursuit so no rush...
Jason
Mar 11, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess, favorites
A modern Classic. If you only have one chess book on your book shelf, this should be the one.
Micmoc
Jun 28, 2008 Micmoc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Silman is MY favourite chess writer. If you read this book you will understand why ;-)
  • Art of Attack in Chess
  • The Life and Games of Mikhail Tal
  • Winning Chess Strategies, revised
  • Practical Chess Exercises: 600 Lessons from Tactics to Strategy
  • Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy
  • Chess Tactics for Champions: A step-by-step guide to using tactics and combinations the Polgar way
  • Modern Chess Openings: MCO-14 (McKay Chess Library)
  • Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual
  • Understanding Chess Move by Move
  • Garry Kasparov on My Great Predecessors,  Part 1
  • 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations
  • Pawn Structure Chess
  • The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain