Start by marking “How to Get Married ... by Me, the Bride” as Want to Read:
How to Get Married ... by Me, the Bride

How to Get Married ... by Me, the Bride

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Our know-it-all narrator is at it again, in this hilarious companion to the New York Times bestselling How to Be a Baby . . . by Me, the Big Sister. Take it from the six-year-old “bride-to-be”: No one will marry you if you don’t ever brush your hair and it looks like a bird’s nest back there. And never get married when it’s dark, because you might not see the groom, and ma ...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get Married ... by Me, the Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get Married ... by Me, the Bride

Alicia
Adorable and silly; some good advice to children (and some adults - a bit of a "what not to do" primer for "bridezillas") on being lovable and kind. Captures well what the young must think of this strange social custom (requirements of gifts, throwing of the bouquet, and married life are all touched upon). Reminiscent of How to Talk to Girls, a very reasonable look into the art of love (and friendship), with a whole bunch of giggles - after all, isn't getting married supposed to be fun?

My favori
Christiane
Maybe I'm just really tired of precocious kid books. I did not find this book "adorable, original, well-illustrated and fabulous" as The New York Times Book Review did. (Though the illustrations are the best part.) Part of my problem is I can never tell whether books like these have any child appeal, or is it really only grown-ups who find them so whimsical and sweet? A lot of brides will be getting this at wedding showers I bet! And, those of you with kids, do kids really play pretend wedding? ...more
Kris
Maybe it's just me, but this one kinda creeped me out. The art is cute, and the tone is appropriate for the age group, and I get that some kids really like playing the "let's get married" game, but a whole book for kids about how to get married or no one will marry you if or "your guests have to hand over TONS of presents and give you a big cake with LOTS of frosting on it and sing you a wedding song and be so happy they could cry" - blech.
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Well, it's tough to figure out what to say about this one. First, I was pleasantly surprised to find something fun and sweet rather than sappy and yucky. I also like the sort of useful "advice" about getting married, some of which ends up actually being true. It seems like this would be a fun way to indulge make believe and play acting, getting married being an important aspect of adult life to "practice." I guess in general, I wonder what this book is trying to do and if it's a good thing or a ...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Michaila
I read this with a friend after I found it in the library. We're both college students, and by the end of the book I was tearing up I was laughing so hard. I loved it, found it hilarious, and a pretty accurate picture of how kids (or at least I did) think of weddings.
Molly
Who is this for? An adult I know thought this was 'hilarious,' but I found it a touch creepy, and I know it is not something I would have liked as a child. I never played "wedding," and I don't think that the industrial wedding complex really needs help with catching little girls earlier. Just... not for me.
Stacy268
Cutie cute, like the last one. My 6 year old is obsessed with the notion of marriage and brides and coerses her 3 year old sister into marrying her at least 2ce a week. That said, my only moment of not having as much fun as I could while reading it comes from the fact that the only option is the "husband and wife" one (when they are announced). Jones lets the narrator say that one can marry daddies and teachers and flowers, so it would have been nice to have a partner option in there. As the 6 y ...more
Alexa
I thought it was super sweet. I was a bit apprehensive and ended up pleasantly surprised.
Mary
I have found my new favorite book!

Did you know...

"When you are choosing a Husband or a Wife, you have to be on your best behavior. You can't be mean. You have to be nice."

And...

"Sometimes you have to search and search for the right person and travel far and wide until you find them. And sometimes you just have to sit quietly and wait for someone."

It even gets better from there.

Words to live by.
Ann
I wish I could give 3.5 stars.

Some of the text is adorable and philosophical:

And then we get into lots and lots of presents being mandated--not as cool. Probably would be fun to read with a little girl who loves dress up and pretend.
The Library Lady
Too much of a "Junie B" sort of tone to this one combined with too much trying to appeal to the adults. Not useful if you are trying to explain the institution of marriage to a kid, though they may enjoy it.

But it might be fun for horrifying narrow minded conservative types--this certainly doesn't fit marriage by their lights!
I couldn't be more disappointed. I strongly dislike books that push social expectations on readers especially when so many of them are unrealistic and untrue. "Then your guests HAVE to bring you LOTS of gifts." "You maybe have kids. You live happily ever after." This book if full of Disney-like fairy tale exaggerations.
Molly
I am not sure.... There are parts I like and parts I don't. I like that you can marry anyone even your dad for the purpose of pretend. I am not sure I like the descriptions of who you should or should not choose. I am tainted by a bad story about this game amongst a group of kids. Ages 3+
Kyle Greenberg
This book a cute book to read to early elementary students or childhood students. Students could talk about all sorts of relationships, but this is not necessarily a great book to read in the classroom. This book could be on a shelf for the students to read, but not to read to the class.
Shallowreader VaVeros
This book weirded me out. There are lovely illustrations throughout, and all kids could relate to the role playing. However, the bride, girl dreaming is a reflection more of 1950s mores than contemporary mores. Other people may not feel this way though.
Mariah Smith
This is one of three hilarious picture books by Lloyd-Jones that could be a light-hearted look at procedural text. Adults may giggle as much as the children when this is read aloud. It could even be an amusing read-aloud at a bridal shower.
Molly
Took this home for my son- on advice from a coworker. First, i got a picture of his face when I showed him the book- then, he actually listened while I read it =) He's had to put up with a few girl friends who insist on marrying him....
Nicci
This book was so funny! Exactly how a little girl would describe getting married! I read it several times for my little girl and even for my grown up sister because it's funny for adults too!
Lam Nguyen
This book is about a girl teaching her friends how to get married. It had a humorous tone and a cute childlike personality to it. This is a fun book for students to read independently.
Robin
I'm with those who found this one a bit creepy. It was better than I expected from the title, but this is one of those I just didn't get.
Emily Allentown
Very cute! I loved this book. It's like a slice out of a real child's play day, and the child's perspective is spot on.
Apryl
I got this book at my wedding shower and loved it. Its perfect for a little girl to the bride her self. LOVED IT!!!!
Robyn
I love this book because I thought it was funny and lot and it was cute and playful! I think I read it again sometime!
Megan
you can marry anyone even your Dad! Found out why in this very humorous picture book about getting married.
Kristin
This is very entertaining! Too advanced for the preschool crowd, but early ele. girls will love it.
Meredith Leach
Love this. Weddings from a child's view. Just like when I used to play wedding as a girl.
Miss Tea
I like it, it's cute and silly. A good read for little girls and for big ones too!
Kate
Necessary for any bride to be....or just a little one playing dress up :)
My daughter likes this one a lot, but I just don't get it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Thanks for stopping by my Goodreads Page. You'll find more @ my SUPER blog, my blog, my public facebook page, and my website.

PLUS you can follow me on twitter.

More about Sally Lloyd-Jones...
The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story How to Be a Baby . . . by Me, the Big Sister Poor Doreen: A Fishy Tale