Start by marking “The Cat, The Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Cat, The Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)

The Cat, The Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  885 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Between her kitty quilt-making business and her three beloved cats, Jill has her hands full. That doesn't stop her from wanting to solve the mystery of the milk cow that's gone missing from her friend's farm. But imagine her surprise when a stolen cow leads to the discovery of fifty stray cats and one dead body-a victim of cold-blooded murder...
Published May 4th 2010 by NAL (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat, The Professor and the Poison, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cat, The Professor and the Poison

Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
38th out of 610 books — 307 voters
The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson BraunThe Cat Who Played Brahms by Lilian Jackson BraunWish You Were Here by Rita Mae BrownMurder Past Due by Miranda JamesThe Cat Who Knew Shakespeare by Lilian Jackson Braun
Cozy Cat Mystery Books
29th out of 96 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Ian
Jul 21, 2013 Ian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cats and their ladies
In South Carolina offenses against kitties are considered especially heinous. In Mercy, South Carolina, these crimes are investigated by an elite squad known as the Feline Victims Unit. These are their stories.

description

Jill and her cats are back for this, the second in the Cats in Trouble mystery series. After finding a stray cat she stumbles onto a mysterious research lab where cats are being experimented on. When the scientist in charge turns up dead she finds herself once again at the centre of the
LORI CASWELL
MY FAVORITE COZY MYSTERY OF 2010!!!

The first book in this series THE CAT, THE QUILT AND THE CORPSE was the first book I reviewed on this blog. THE CAT, THE PROFESSOR, AND THE POISON is the second book in the series and I am truly honored that Leann send me an Advanced Copy for me to review. Thank You Leann.

The stars in this series are three cats, Merlot, Chablis, and Syrah and their "human" Jillian Hart. Jillian makes quilts for cats but also has time to get wrapped up in a few mysteries. In thi
Amanda
I like this series, mostly because of the adorable cats, but I'm beginning to worry a little bit about the main character, Jillian. I mean, I love my cats, but c'mon, woman, you are freaking me out a little bit here with your catcam and obsessiveness about checkin in on said catcam! And then some moments she is uber-strong and fearless, and then all crumbly because of a mean phone call from a potential murder suspect she has no relationship with at all who just says some mean things? Um, hang up ...more
Bevin
Jul 17, 2012 Bevin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cat lovers but not those in the vet field
The book was cute & the main characters likeable. The plot had enough red herrings to make you wonder a little bit about where the story may lead you. In addition, descriptions of the kitties were sweet (not to mention the little illustrated kittens on the cover).

However, as a vet tech, I found the "cat trivia" a little frustrating. Some of these were misconceptions that we in the field end up spending a lot of time clearing up. Some of these were briefly mentioned ideas that spur panic in c
Zoe
A very good read, especially for people who love cats, like me.The plot was interesting and original ( a bipolar professor comes up with a genious idea about creating new pet food and ends up murdered ).Many suspects and alibis-Jillian, the protagonist - a cat quilter - and her cop friend, Candace, have a lot in their hands to keep them busy.I particularly liked the character of Kara, Jillian's stepdaughter ( her late husband's daughter )and the bond that started forming between them. There are ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
A much better read than the first in this series. There are fewer grammatical howlers, and less of the "I sell quilts at cat shows, so I'm an authority on cats" drone, though I was suprised and amused to hear that "most orange cats are boys." Oh really! Well I've owned some that were girls, honey, but this is Europe, maybe they are boys in in the States.

As happens with many novel series, the writer has jettisoned some of the odder parameters of the first book--a case in point, one of her cats w
Dawn Michelle

Read~September 21, 2010
4 Stars

This is going to be a GREAT series! I really enjoy the way this author writes and I love the stories. Her characters are really interesting and well-fleshed out---AND, they are believable!!
FUN, FUN, FUN read!!!

Jillian is still recovering (mentally) from the events of the past fall. But she (personally) is more settled in, the quilt business has picked up, her cats and healthy and loved AND she is (finally) making lasting friends!
And its with one of those friends (
Ronna
Jillian Hart is a cat lover, so when she sees more then 50 cats penned in a dirty cat run, mewing and seeming sickly and hungry, she is more than angry. The Professor, who was caring for the cats, never got to hear her rant because he was poisoned with a viscous acting poison. Who wanted him dead and how are those cats coming to be cared for properly now?

Jillian's own three cats are helpful to her in her investigation, especially Chablis, who has adopted one of the Professor's cats and her new l
KarenF
3*s for a cute cozy mystery with an enjoyable setting and decent characters. -1 for the constant, wrong-headed, and tiresome bashing of "animal rights activists" the vast majority of whom are neither terrorists nor wish to release all of your pets into the wild so they can be "free". Not saying that those people don't exist, there are extremists of every stripe. Just saying that they aren't representative. Of course you wouldn't know that based just on this book.
Roxann
I love Merlot, Chablis, and Syrah- the fur babies in this “Cats in Trouble” series. Jillian Hart is a cat lover and the human the three cats live with. Great characters and good mystery!

A good read, especially for people who love cats, like me. The plot was interesting, if not a little different with the cast of characters—I mean really a bipolar professor—loved it. Anyway-the professor is experimenting with cats while trying to create a new cat food, but ends up being murdered. AND the cats ar
Hilary
Another outing for Jillian Hart, her good friends Candace and Tom and Jillian's three feline companions. This time they are investigating theft and murder, and in the midst of all this Jillian also gets to connect with her stepdaughter. Add into this the gradual start of a relationship between Jillian and Tom and you have another first class book on your hands, now I just have the problem of waiting for the next book to arrive!
Lizz
Oct 01, 2010 Lizz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Cat Lovers!
I absolutely loved it! I was just as good as the first book of the series, if not better. Of course, I found it funny that most of my real life interests are found in this book - Cats, Technology, etc... All that aside, I thought that the characters are well played out, and all have their own well thought out personalities. I felt like I have just made some new friends to hang out with, albeit fictional ones. :)
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I feel this book earned the entire five stars due to an excellance in writing. This book opened up with instantly involving you in the main character's life and her friends.

It sets you up for the mystery coming and you don't even realize it while you are reading...then it hits. And when it does, you are drawn into the chase.

Author Leann Sweeney's best book yet!
Paige Bennett
I don't like cats - well after reading two books in this series- I am not so sure. I do love Merlot, Chablis, and Syrah- the furry starts of the cats in trouble series. Jillian Hart is a cat lover and her adventures keep the pages turning for me. Great characters and good mystery! I am addicted to this series- be careful you will get hooked also.
Kim
I enjoyed this one more than the first installment of the series. So far, the characters are entertaining and the storyline has substance. Well, the police chief continues to be annoying but is downplayed this time around. Will be reading the next one.
Felicia
Argh! I hate it when I forget that I've already tried a book in a series and didn't like it! I love me some cats, crafts, and murder - but the series is too much even for me. Plus the kitty in peril theme makes me anxious. I'll try again in 30 years..
Betsy
The Cat, the Professor, and the Poison is a cute book. Easy read as most cozy mysteries are. I liked all the characters in this book especially the felines. I would read another one of the Cat in Trouble Mysteries.
Brett Bydairk
Light if enjoyable, one of those that mix an equal part of romance with the mystery. Here we have a recent widow, mid thirties, falling for a man with a very jealous "girlfriend", who seems to be falling for her.
The mystery involves a mysterious professor, cats, a secret research project, and a few other things. Our widow is present when the corpse of the professor is found, along with a bunch of missing cats; her estranged step-daughter shows up unexpectedly, she is threatened by a masked stra
Carol
Good cozy. Interesting characters, nice plot development, and I especially liked the cats - they seemed fairly realistic. The author knows her felines.
Nancy
This is the 2nd in this series and I've read both. Don't think I'll bother with a 3rd. They are just a bit too 'sappy' or 'sweet' for my taste.
Laura Lee
Good for a cozy. Had a bit of a twist. Cats definitely played a big part. Showed how important rescue is.
Barb
Another cute book from Leann Sweeney. I hope she continues with this series.
Anne-Kathrine
Enjoyed this book in the series. Will read the next one soon :)
Janet
Very good. Can't wait for the next
Barbara
The Cat, The Professor and The Poison is the second book in the Cats in Trouble series by Leann Sweeney. It continues the story of Jillian Hart and her three cats. She is still making cat quilts and living her idyllic lifestyle in Mercy, South Carolina. Jillian’s side-kicks: Deputy Candace, Jillian’s stepdaughter Kara and boyfriend (in the chastest sense) Tom, are all back to help solve the mystery. There is lots of cat trivia. The story moves at a slow, Southern pace. Good listen for cat and co ...more
Betsy
This book was so great I read most of it in a day, but I loved it so much, I did not want it to end so I forced myself to slow down. I LOVED the main character, Jillian and her awesome cats. I loved the back story about Jill and her step daughter. I loved the friendship between Jill and Candace and how they worked through the mystery together. The mystery itself was a real page turner. Who killed the bipolar professor and why? What were his cat experiments all about? This book really kept me gue ...more
Liora
In this second book in the Cats in Trouble series, widowed Jillian Hart once again stumbles across a mystery when she goes with her friend Deputy Candace Carlson out to investigate the report of a stolen cow. This leads her to a farm where about fifty cats are being kept in very inhumane conditions, and the discovery of a dead body in the farmhouse.

Jillian gets involved in the rescue of the cats, even taking home one mother cat and her four kittens. Meanwhile, her difficult, former journalist s
Laura de Leon
Probably 4.5 stars, but this book is very close to my ideal cozy mystery!

Amateur sleuth? Check. Jillian, the main character is interesting in and of herself. She's got a good back-story, and is living a quiet life that allows here the flexibility to follow up on cats in trouble when she finds them.

Supporting characters? Check. They were great this time around. OK, Tom might be a little too perfect in his role as love interest (smart, tech savvy, tough, emotionally aware, good looking... yum!), b
Carolyn
I did like this second book more, however, I'm already tired of cats in trouble theme and I wonder just how many varieties of cat victims the series comes up with. (Don't worry, so far the cats are saved - it's the humans who get murdered.) The characters are nice and this book starts growing a romance whose possibility was hinted at in the first. It also introduces a step-daughter and begins to flesh out the main character's past life with her deceased (but not murdered) husband.
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
  • Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • The Big Kitty (Sunny & Shadow Mystery, #1)
  • By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)
  • Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #6)
  • How to Moon a Cat (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #3)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Sentenced to Death (A Booktown Mystery, #5)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey #7)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
Leann Sweeney was born and raised in Niagara Falls and educated at St. Joseph's Hospital and Lemoyne College in Syracuse, NY. She also has a degree from the University of Houston in behavioral science and worked for many years in psychiatry. Currently a school nurse, she began writing about fifteen years ago, fulfilling her lifelong dream. After perfecting her writing skills with classes and a sma ...more
More about Leann Sweeney...

A Cats in Trouble Mystery (7 books)
  • The Cat, The Quilt And The Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3)
  • The Cat, the Wife and the Weapon (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #4)
  • The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)
  • The Cat, the Vagabond and the Victim (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #6)
  • The Cat, the Sneak and the Secret (A Cats in Trouble Mystery #7)
The Cat, The Quilt And The Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1) Pick Your Poison (A Yellow Rose Mystery, #1) The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #3) The Cat, the Wife and the Weapon (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #4) The Cat, the Mill and the Murder (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #5)