Start by marking “Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision” as Want to Read:
Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision

Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision (Shade, the Changing Man #2)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  274 ratings  ·  12 reviews
This new, second volume collects SHADE THE CHANGING MAN #7-13 for the first time ever, as Shade and Kathy George continue their epic, mind-bending journey into the heartland of a nation on the trail of The American Scream.
Published December 1st 2009 by Vertigo (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2

Dan Schwent
Shade and Kathy find themselves drawn to Madness outbreaks, first in San Francisco then in New York. Shade and Kathy are separated and Kathy meets Lenny, a young artist. Shade, on the other hand, meets someone he never thought he'd see again...

Yeah, this is one of those times where I'm not exactly sure what I just finished reading. Peter Milligan's writing was top notch and Christopher Bachalo's art was good though still in its formative stages. I'm just not sure what they were telling me.

I love
Keith
Man, in just one volume Bachalo goes from "serviceable" to bringing his absolute A-game and actually adding to the narrative, rather than just illustrating it. And after a somewhat heavy-handed introductory issue about Homelessness is Bad, Shade finally gets down to some serious doggone weirdness. Milligan manages to keep the stories pretty linear-ish, and it's funny to read him in a longform title like this one -- it's Grant Morrison who we've come to associate with the 90's Vertigo psychedelic ...more
Justin
Fans pressed with the challenge of describing Vertigo Comics’ SHADE THE CHANGING MAN may have as much trouble demonstrating its characters, themes, plotlines, conflicts, and motifs as much as a critic will have in writing a review of the series.

Not for a lack of trying, though, and with the second volume of the series, entitled, “The Edge of Vision,” it’s perfectly clear that writer Peter Milligan and artist Chris Bachalo are giving their share of effort to bridge the gap between the readers’ no
joao
By the end of the 1990s, Chris Bachalo's art had turned over to the cartoonish side, in such a way that his 2000 experiment The Witching Hour, featuring computerized textures and tilted camera angels, was mostly incomprehensible. But maybe that's a growing pain for him. Shade's art is not exactly all about Bachalo, because Daniel Vozzo's colors are also of note, and if you consider the guy was also doing Doom Patrol at the time, there's a whole, somewhat dated, side of Vertigo's 90's art, before ...more
Harold Smithson (Suicide punishable by Death)
Between 3 and 3.5 stars. On one hand, I thought the book had some very interesting ideas but I think they just weren't explored as well as they could have been. Also, the tangents sometimes got a bit confusing. Things like a collection of Shakespeare books and Santa Fe were referred in ways that indicated importance to but I couldn't tell you what they added to the story. (in this particular issue, I mean. It would seem that the Santa Fe section is buildup for the third volume)

But aside from a f
Keely
Inescapably one of the finest comics I've ever read, but unfortunately, only the beginning of the series is available, and it is the weakest part. It will be a crime if the lack of success of these early bits forestalls the entire series becoming available, because it stands up as the equal of any other Vertigo title. Milligan is still trying to find his voice in these early stories, which are more standard fare, but soon he catches his stride and reaches levels of thoughtfully absurd wit to riv ...more
Bill Kte'pi
I didn't read the early issues until later, but reading the second volume of Shade, I can remember how blown away I was when I first read it as a teenager. Still holds up as some of Milligan's (and Bachalo's) best.
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
This volume includes riffs on two extremes of American culture, the hippy subculture and the very 50s conformity it was a reaction too, and via the madness injected by the American Scream, examines the dark side of both. Some good stuff and even some good guest art here, but I am increasingly fed up of the way Kathy is being characterised: love interest, damsel in distress, damaged dream girl. Come on, a central character can get a little more development than that.
Michael Larson
It's hard for me to read this without comparing it to other similar revamps of goofy comic book characters, like what Neil Gaiman did with Sandman and Alan Moore with Swamp Things. That said, I do enjoy what Peter Milligan is doing here, even though I feel like it is sometimes unnecessarily abstract. I do like that the police generally seem to work with Shade, rather than against him, as typically happens in this kind of comics.
Tristy
Nov 02, 2010 Tristy marked it as to-read
I just discovered issue # 8 in a box in a stranger's barn and I truly love it. How did I miss this series in the 90's? I must get my hands on these volumes so I can read them all!
Will
It wasn't bad at the time. It hasn't aged well, though. Milligan goes for shocks over insight, although he's clearly having fun with it.
Karen
I got these as individual issues (7-13) in the late '80s. I don't have the collected edition.
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Starlon
Starlon marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Sean Thompson
Sean Thompson is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Campo
Campo marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • Echo: The Complete Edition
  • My Brain is Hanging Upside Down
  • The Information Design Handbook
19445
Peter Milligan is a British writer, best known for his work on X-Force / X-Statix, the X-Men, & the Vertigo series Human Target. He is also a scriptwriter.

He has been writing comics for some time and he has somewhat of a reputation for writing material that is highly outlandish, bizarre and/or absurd.

His highest profile projects to date include a run on X-Men, and his X-Force revamp that relau
More about Peter Milligan...
Justice League Dark, Vol. 1: In the Dark Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 1: The American Scream Hellblazer: Scab Tank Girl: The Odyssey X-Men: The Day After