Start by marking “For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts” as Want to Read:
For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts

For the Beauty of the Church: Casting a Vision for the Arts

Think of your local church. Without art--music, song, dance, etc.--it would be a much poorer place. But if protestants have any vision for the arts, it tends to be a thin one. This unique book is an attempt to contribute to a robust, expansive vision for the church and the arts. Its specific aim is to show how the many parts of the landscape of church and art hold ...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Baker Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about For the Beauty of the Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Beauty of the Church

M Christopher
Jul 06, 2015 M Christopher rated it really liked it
As always, with collections of essays from different authors, a mixed bag but there were none of these essays that I thought were a waste of time. Generated following an "arts in the church" conference in Austin, TX, the essays trace the positive and negative aspects of bringing artists "into the fold."

Overall, the book made me yearn for a situation in which I could once again explore my own artistic passions in a church or para-church environment and in which I could encourage other artists. At
Josh
Nov 09, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it
This is one of those books where you don't agree with everything or with every contributor, but you just love that a book like it was written and that some folks had the courage to really dig into the particular conversation. Very helpful in a lot of ways.
Markus
Well, I "liked" this book well enough to read it for a second time...
Mary Wiley
Mar 28, 2015 Mary Wiley rated it it was amazing
I've read this book multiple times. It has been absolutely formative in building my view of art in the church. We have been created by THE Creator, who has given us the gift of creativity. So many believe that art has no utility and therefore no place in the church, but this book reminds us that the Christianity is not about utility. It is not about us, nor is it simply a means to an end. Instead, it is the all-encompassing, artfully-designed relationship of God with His people.

A quote that hit
Jamie Howison
Jun 10, 2016 Jamie Howison rated it liked it
Like pretty much all collections of essays, this book is uneven. There were a few pieces that I found very helpful, and a few that I ended up skimming my way through after just two or three pages. That probably reflects my own starting point as much as anything, for the essays dealing with making a case for art in the church were pretty much just recapping things that folks like Cal Seerveld convinced me of decades ago.

I think my favourite was Lauren Winner's very personal piece on being an art
Joey
Dec 26, 2015 Joey rated it did not like it
Shelves: dreadful-burn-it
What complete crap. Is there some weird newsletter I'm not receiving? I'm Catholic yet I feel my views on things religious, spiritual and temporal are utterly foreign. Imagine a group of essayists who have found yet one more way to box in an ineffable God and this time with art no less. If you are that fearful of someone creating something subversive or damaging to the faith, maybe they aren't the problem? I have no time for small minded people who find idolatry and blasphemy in anything that ...more
Nathan North
Jan 28, 2016 Nathan North rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
This book was a wonderful conglomeration of artists and pastors working together to see the world how it is, how it could be, and how we can work to bring about an artistic awakening in the Church (not just the local church, but the global Church).

I normally hate to write or highlight in books, but before I had even finished the introduction, I had to underline paragraphs of great words, both challenges and encouragements.

If you are in anyway associated with art and church, read this book! It
Michelle
Aug 07, 2010 Michelle rated it it was amazing
By the time I finished this book, nearly the whole thing was underlined--- very thought-provoking and encouraging as a Christian and as an artist!
An additional comment would be to encourage those who read this book to further follow the discussion (which is what it was written to provoke) through David Taylor's "Diary of an Arts Pastor" blog and its many enlightening links--- I wouldn't consider this book to be conclusive on its topics, but rather opening a door for growth in this area of our Ch
Denisse Beltrán
they probably should have specified in the title that they were focusing on the beauty of a United States, mostly White Church, not a breathtakingly diverse and Global one...

but this could just be me lackin' some grace. on the positive, I am actually digging some of the thoughts from the pastors who contributed essays on liturgical worship...
Tim Canny
Nov 30, 2010 Tim Canny rated it it was ok
There were some good points made in the introduction and the Barbara Nicolosi piece was excellent. It was basically the reason I bought the book as I've read her stuff before and find it well-reasoned and inspiring. I didn't get that feeling from many of the other chapters, some which went on and on without making much of a point.
Jen H.
May 02, 2016 Jen H. rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for pastors. Excellent book for lay leaders. Excellent book for ALL those interested in how to best integrate arts and artists within the local church. Would make a great small group study book (and I'd love to be a fly on the wall as you discuss).

David Hoos
Aug 22, 2010 David Hoos rated it really liked it
Like any art work, I have some criticisms but overall I think there was some definite substance and food for thought. I particularly enjoyed Barbara Nicolosi's chapter.
Beau
Oct 18, 2015 Beau rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I had not read anything about this topic before. I found several chapters interesting and thought-provoking.
John
Oct 16, 2014 John rated it it was ok
The writers pay homage to Seerveld, but very little in this book is interesting. Should have reread Rainbows for a Fallen World.
Patrick Schlabs
Patrick Schlabs rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2012
Kristyn
Kristyn rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2013
Megan Hamshar
Megan Hamshar rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2011
Emma Sweere
Emma Sweere rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Jennifer Difrancesco
Jennifer Difrancesco rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Steven
Steven rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2012
Tr0yisbald
Tr0yisbald rated it liked it
May 29, 2013
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Daniel Blackaby
Daniel Blackaby rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2010
Tamara Hill Murphy
Tamara Hill Murphy rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Jay Locklear
Jay Locklear rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2015
Keith Snow
Keith Snow rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Katie Hoiland
Katie Hoiland rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Pastor as Minor Poet: Texts and Subtexts in the Ministerial Life
  • Refractions: A Journey of Faith, Art, and Culture
  • Cross-Shattered Christ: Meditations on the Seven Last Words
  • Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today
  • Living Into Community: Cultivating Practices That Sustain Us
  • The New Parish: How Neighborhood Churches Are Transforming Mission, Discipleship and Community
  • Uncommon Decency: Christian Civility in an Uncivil World
  • A Little Exercise for Young Theologians
  • Created for Community: Connecting Christian Belief with Christian Living
  • Beauty Will Save the World: Rediscovering the Allure and Mystery of Christianity
  • Slow Church: Cultivating Community in the Patient Way of Jesus
  • Evangelical Theology: An Introduction
  • It Was Good: Making Art to the Glory of God
  • The Kneeling Christian
  • Art for God's Sake: A Call to Recover the Arts
  • Flickering Pixels: How Technology Shapes Your Faith
  • Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life
  • Art & the Bible

“And on the night before he suffers the worst that wayward human culture can do, this is what he does: he takes bread and wine into his hands, lifts them up, and blesses them. Bread and wine, not wheat and grapes. Bread and wine are culture, not just nature. They are good for food and a delight to the eyes. Jesus takes culture, blesses it, breaks it, and gives it to his friends. Taken, broken, blessed, and given, these cultural goods, these “creatures of bread and wine” as the old prayer book had it, become sign and presence of God in the world.” 1 likes