Start by marking “Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading” as Want to Read:
Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading

Leadership Gold: Lessons I've Learned from a Lifetime of Leading

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  739 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews
Smart leaders learn from their own mistakes. Smarter ones learn from others mistakes and successes.

John C. Maxwell wants to help you become the smartest leader you can be by sharing Leadership Gold with you. After nearly forty years of leading, Maxwell has mined the gold so you don t have to. Each gold nugget is contained in one of twenty- six chapters designed to be a six
Published April 1st 2008 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership Gold

Erik
Jul 30, 2012 Erik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John C. Maxwell has written a very inspiring book in a biography style of his accounts of life experiences. He explains how leadership is a continual journey of personal development and refinement. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who is or would like to become a leader with some form of leadership role, such as teachers, business people, entrepreneurs, governing or any other authoritative position. One of the chapters named Keep Learning to Keep Leading, is as the spiritual princip ...more
E
Oct 22, 2010 E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After years of writing and lecturing about leadership, and after decades of practicing it, John C. Maxwell created this book as a reflection on all he has learned about guiding others. He shares leadership lessons he experienced firsthand as well as those culled from other experts. His 26 “gold nuggets” address various aspects of leadership, such as developing relationships, nurturing tomorrow’s leaders, and recognizing and responding to “defining moments.” At the end of each chapter, Maxwell of ...more
Will
Jan 03, 2014 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My plan here is to start writing value-added reviews of the business books I read (a personal goal is to read / write reviews for 100 of them in 2014). It's funny, thinking back I believe the last time I really wrote anything of substance (aside from emails) was around 7 years ago. I feel a little rusty, and it's not as easy as it once was to write thoughtfully... This will be remedied with practice, I'm sure.

This book was good... Really good. Maxwell has a knack for bringing to mind the importa
Viviana
Jul 17, 2009 Viviana is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ettore
Currently correcting Spanish translation...
Jenn
1. “Criticism is something you can avoid easily – by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.” – Aristotle
2. What I need to hear most… is what I want to hear least
3. Following your passion is the key to finding your potential.
4. To lead volunteers, you must first UNDERSTAND THEM – LISTEN!
5. Success is:
a. Knowing your purpose
b. Growing to your maximum potential
c. Sowing seeds that benefit others
6. “Almost every man wastes part of his life in attempts to display qualities which he does no
Craig
Mar 07, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual John Maxwell was excellent in the wisdom he shared in this book. The draw for me was the approach he took in the book (and indicated in the sub-title) "Lessons I've learned from a lifetime of leading". The personal reflection of the most important lessons from one of the greatest leadership minds in the world, seemed like very valuable information I should know. As it turns out I was not disappointed. The format was an easy read, and each chapter included a helpful application/ question ...more
Greg Hibbins
May 28, 2015 Greg Hibbins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most valuable books I have ever read. I make a point of reading it every six months. It is pure GOLD and is a 'must read' for any leader.
Jason Duncan
Jan 27, 2016 Jason Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
An overview of John Maxwells entire library -
after reading this you can decide which of his books you'll need to read,
so as to learn & develop a particular area of leadership.
Martin Van Der Merwe
This book has great advice for those who desire to apply leadership excellence to their leadership style
Leah
Jul 30, 2014 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, scannable read with long-lingering adages and anecdotes.
Jerry Bousard
Apr 22, 2016 Jerry Bousard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on leadership!
Mat Rueter
Apr 14, 2016 Mat Rueter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accepting yourself is a sign of maturity. If you worry about what other people think of you, it's because you have more confidence in their opinion than you have in your own.
Omar Hinds
Jul 24, 2014 Omar Hinds marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Jim
Every John Maxwell book I've read so far has been a quick read but thought provoking. This book has 26 chapters, each w/ a different leadership lesson, application exercises and suggested exercises for a mentor to give to mentees. I'd like to make the chapters on "To See How the Leader is Doing, Look at the People", "Don't Send Your Ducks to Eagle School" and "Leaders Distinguish Themselves During Tough Times" required reading. I highly recommend this book!
Mike
Apr 25, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, Maxwell delivers. This book is full of wisdom on the art of leadership.
O. Peart
Jan 11, 2016 O. Peart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
John Maxwell is considered like the guru of leadership. If you are in leadership or considering being a leader, this book is a great wake-up and go. If holds no bars and John in his unique style let's you know. From his own experience, he meticulously breaks down what, how and why. Have a read and start that journey into your next leadership role, for leaders fail too but they keep growing.
Sabrina Coleman
Feb 07, 2014 Sabrina Coleman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great principles on Leadership and learning how to develop character growth within our inner self
Allison
Aug 28, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this book for work, as part of my leadership role. He has some good ideas and stories, supplemented with short videos online. This is definitely geared to some one who wants to rise to the top and not just part way. There are some lessons that are difficult to apply to my life, such as taking large risks.
Paul Phua
Jul 27, 2011 Paul Phua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read book with many useful quotes of wisdom and experience shared by John C Maxwell, which are applicable to any leadership role we play at home, in school or workplace.
Mr Maxwell advocates servant leadership principles and approach for organisation and his personal philosophy.
Kim
Nov 15, 2011 Kim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
This is assigned reading at work. We are doing a chapter a week as the author recommends and doing small group discussions every five weeks.

We noted that all of the really good quotes are from other people. There isn't a lot of new info here but it is well worded and concise.
Ellen
May 12, 2016 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
We are reading this book for work. I really enjoy John Maxwell's mentoring. I think you can adopt his leadership teachings to your personal life. This book is a collective of the many leadership books he's written.
John Reeves
Jun 11, 2008 John Reeves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Maxwell is one of the more prolific of the leadership gurus, and this is probably the best choice if you only want to read one of them. There is quite a lot here for aspiring leaders, and he provides exercises for you to work through. I've found his stuff very helpful.
Chad Stutzman
Dec 17, 2009 Chad Stutzman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of wisdom in this book. John is one of my favorite authors, I have learned so much about leadership from his writings and teachings. This is truly gold, the best stuff you need to succeed in leading well. If your a leader, you need to read this book.
Sandra
May 28, 2010 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership, mlm-books
Leadership is making a difference. There is a great list of what leadership is on page XI of the book.

Being a great leader can be inspirational but who said it was easy?

Great book, from a leadership book guru---John Maxwell.

Nicole Briggs
Apr 06, 2009 Nicole Briggs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Favorite quote in this book... A Boss says, "Go." A leader says, "Let's go." This entire book sends the same message you can't get if you can't give.... Love this one. Thanks Cameron
Billy Phipps
Apr 25, 2008 Billy Phipps is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Just started this book. Kim, our office manager brought a signed copy back from a conference for me. Looks like its going to be your traditional Maxwell book.... which is awesome
Anna
Jan 29, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for school. I liked it, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I didn't read it in 2 days. It's divided into 26 chapters to read one chapter per week.
Regina
Jan 16, 2014 Regina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only bad thing about this book is that it could be a mistake on a book only about leadership. This is a book for EVERYONE who wants to live a better life.
Jun S.
Been hearing a lot of good things about the author. Bought this one and am not finished reading it yet. Got 3 books to read now. One at a time.
Rob
Apr 30, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Reading book for a second time. Going through the book with Circle Of Champions member SVP Mrs. Jennifer DOwd and other leaders!!
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • The Encore Effect: How to Achieve Remarkable Performance in Anything You Do
  • The Secret: What Great Leaders Know - And Do
  • Go-Givers Sell More
  • Little Green Book of Getting Your Way: How to Speak, Write, Present, Persuade, Influence, and Sell Your Point of View to Others
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • Leadership: Tidbits and Treasures
  • Soup: A Recipe to Nourish Your Team and Culture
  • The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • The Winners Manual: For the Game of Life
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • I Dare You
  • The 4:8 Principle: The Secret to a Joy-Filled Life
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Aspire: Discovering Your Purpose Through the Power of Words
  • Bringing Out the Best in People
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...

“It's said that a wise person learns from his mistakes. A wiser one learns from others' mistakes. But the wisest person of all learns from others's successes.” 24 likes