Start by marking “A Thin Dark Line (Doucet #4)” as Want to Read:
A Thin Dark Line (Doucet #4)

A Thin Dark Line (Doucet #4)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  5,945 Ratings  ·  254 Reviews
Terror stalks the streets of Bayou Breaux, Louisiana. A suspected murderer is free on a technicality, and the cop accused of planting evidence against him is ordered off the case. But Detective Nick Fourcade refuses to walk away. He’s stepped over the line before. This case threatens to push him over the edge.

He’s not the only one. Deputy Annie Broussard found the woman’s
Published December 30th 2003 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about A Thin Dark Line, please sign up.

Kym This is the only one of the series I've read, and I had no problem with it as a stand-alone.
I recommend the audio if you can get it from the library…more
I recommend the audio if you can get it from the library or, if you're a member at Audible.com, get it on sale. Love those Cajun accents, including that accent in the occasional French phrase.(less)

♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

I read A Thin Dark Line some years ago (more than ten) and loved it, so when it was offered on an Audible Daily Deal I snatched it up. The audio just enhanced an already riveting mystery!

Annie Broussard is a Deputy in Bayou Breaux Police Department hoping to make Detective. When a suspect in the brutal murder of Pam Bichon is exonerated on a technicality the community is outraged along with the Detective in charge of the case, Nick Fourcade. Annie already had ties to the murder because
Susan
A Realestate agent is found dead and mutilated in one of her vacant listings. There are several other deaths peppered throughout southern Louisiana that have had the same MO. The authorities are stumped until Nick Fourcade a detective finds evidence pointing toward a man who knew the victims, however, the incriminating evidence is thrown out on a technicality. The local public becomes enraged and father of the latest victim try's to shoot the suspect, on the courthouse steps, upon his release.

A
Philip
Apr 30, 2016 Philip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book that I've read by Tami Hoag. I really enjoyed reading; it keep me in suspense. You think you have figured out who the murder is, some thing else points the finger at someone else in the book.
It is about a murder case that you following trying to find the truth. Deputy Annie Broussard is the one who finds the body, she is takes a stand against another cop, which causes her to become the enemy of some of her co-workers, then she starts to work with the cop, Nick, that she a
Brian
Dec 26, 2008 Brian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a gift and it's not my usual fare to say the least, but I thought, what the hell, I'll see what it's like.

This book most reminded me of the standard Hollywood-flavor-of-the-week-lowest-common-denominator thriller. You know the type I'm sure. Those movies that people watch just for the sake of something to watch when they don't feel like watching a romantic comedy starring Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock.

That's about the kindest thing I can think of to say about this book. I
Robin
Sep 05, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arrested for the murder of a local businesswoman, Marcus Rennard is soon freed on a technicality. Deputy Sheriff Annie Broussard feels an obligation to the dead woman to find her killer. Rennard may look guilty, but when she runs across Detective Nick Fourcade beating Rennard, she breaks it up and arrests Fourcade. As the men in the Sheriff's office harass her for being disloyal to the brotherhood, Annie digs into the murder case. She soon discovers her only ally is the cop she put behind bars.

A
Edward
May 15, 2013 Edward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very intense story about what happens when the choices a person makes take them over 'A Thin Dark Line'. For each main character in the book, once the choice is made they must live with the result to the best, or worst, of their ability.

A must read in my opinion if you like dark mysteries.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
WOW!!! What a fast paced thrilling ride this book to me on! I loved it!!!
Barbara ★
Wow what a book! Tami Hoag uses misdirection upon misdirection upon misdirection to confuse the shit out of you. Man, the story leads you in one direction, to one killer and then WHAM it's not him! And then there's another likely suspect and it's not him. again and again and again. I just love it. A Thin Dark Line really keeps you guessing right up until the final chapter. Again just WOW!

Deputy Annie Broussard gets entangled in the murder of Pam Bission since she is the one who found the body. D
Destiny
Sep 24, 2008 Destiny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a novelist, I strive for the talent Tami Hoag displays in this book. She tells the story so skill-fully that you cannot put the book down from beginning to end. The characters are complex and multi-dimentional, and I loved both of them for their strengths and their weaknesses. The ending is carried through to fulfilment, and I just love this book. It is my favourite. Tami Hoag is my favourite author. She is wonderful.
Marty
Dec 20, 2009 Marty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A dear friend of mine (KEELY!) forced me to read this horrid book years ago... and I still haven't thought up an appropriate punishment.
Jerry
Jul 05, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling complex plot marred by ugliness, brutality, & hate...

This was our first crime thriller by Tami Hoag, but we can see why she is a successful author with over a dozen novels and a loyal fan base to her credit. Assuming "Thin Dark Line", set in Cajun Louisiana, is representative of her work, she crafts a complex, intriguing story that manages to hold one's interest until a suspenseful, twisty climax! In this tale, cops and potential perpetrators exchange roles so often one almost need
Delta

A Thin Dark Line was very slow getting to the action at the end, but I liked the vivid imagery and the sordid supporting characters (the heroine's cop co-workers). The bulk of story is spent in the detailed misdirection of suspicion to the various stalking/murder suspects. There was also very little time spent on the romance.

The overall tone of A Thin Dark Line was dark, and even the hero is more of an anti-hero who makes some self-righteous, relative moral judgments that impact others.
Patrice Hoffman
Oct 12, 2011 Patrice Hoffman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was bitter/sweet for me. I won't go into specifics but I didn't think so much blood would be shed. I enjoyed this book because it was more of a suspense book than a romance book. Having the love/hate relationship I have with Romantic suspense made me a little skeptical... but all's well. I spent the last two weeks reading every Hoag book I have in my collection and I have to say this one ranks high on the list of the ones I enjoyed. Her writing is very fluid and I love the picture she ...more
Cphe
Read this many years ago and remember enjoying it immensely. Still as enjoyable the second time around. Particularly liked the setting and murder/mystery aspect of the novel.

The main character of this novel wasn't a shrinking violet by any means and she did stick to her ideals in this story. There wasn't a lot of "romance" per se in this novel, it took a back seat to the murder/mystery. As the main characters I did feel that Annie and Nick were well suited and well matched, each complimented the
Feb 01, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the suspense.
Maureen Casey
Mar 31, 2012 Maureen Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a Tami Hoag classic- full of deep and dark characters, suspenseful twists and turns, and a sexy bayou backdrop.

By the end of the book, the reader is a half-step ahead of the main character in fingering the killer- and practically yelling at Annie "NO DON'T DO THAT!!!" - which I think is the mark of a successful suspense novel.

Another review I read said this book is boring and predictable, but I don't think that is at all true- you SHOULD be able to figure out a book before the ver
Jerilyn
Apparently this book is several into a series, but I didn't feel as if reading the other books were mandatory to read this book. It worked well as a stand-alone. Interesting story set in back water Louisiana. The protagonist is a female sheriff's deputy trying to solve the mystery of the murder of a woman whose body she found. She is the only female patrol deputy in her department, and when things go sideways for her, her male counterparts behave like children. The only complaint I have about th ...more
Paulette
Aug 07, 2016 Paulette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I forgot how fantastic a suspense writer Tami Hoag is until I picked up A THIN DARK LINE. Set in southern Louisiana, this book deals with creepy killers, corrupt policemen, a dark mysterious hero in a cop who is suspended from the force after attempting to beat to death a man acquitted of a most heinous murder, AND a female cop determined to stick to her ideals despite all odds in trying to find a killer AND fighting a male-dominated, sexist police force at the same time. You will find this book ...more
LJ
A THIN DARK LINE - VG
Hoag, Tami - standalone

Set in Bayou, the novel centres around a mission to nail a killer who walked free because of a technicality. On his trail, the cop whose mistake cost him the case, and his deputy, Annie Broussard, leading Nick Fourcade into an obsessive search for justice and truth, and Annie in to a dilemma where she must defend or accuse him.

I always enjoy Hoag and particularly like her books set in Bayou country. She writes great sexy men and strong women, add attra
Nov 15, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Small-town crime? Check. Workplace drama? Check. Quirky local color moments? Check. Simultaneous sexism *and* sexual tension on the job? I guess so, but HR's gonna get a call.

Roxann
Aug 13, 2009 Roxann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great 'who-done it' book. Wonderfully written. I was nearly done with the book before I figured out who did it.
Julie
Nov 03, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read by Tami Hoag....now, on to the next one, can't wait!
Karen
Feb 13, 2017 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book, didn't know it was a series so I will go back to read the others.
Serena
Mar 20, 2017 Serena marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, suspense
I discovered that I didn't enjoy listening to the heavy Bayou accents after a while.
Lou
First time reading this author. Nice style, interesting characters. Looking to read more of her books.
Lisa Perry
Jan 14, 2017 Lisa Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I couldn't put it down. Much faster pace than some of the other mysteries I've read of Hoags (And I've read most of them). I'm looking forward to the second book.
Sridhar Babu
Jan 07, 2015 Sridhar Babu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author..
TAMI HOAG..
Characters..
Annie Broussard, Nick fourcade,Marcus Renard, Doll renard, victor renard, Gus Noblier, Chez Stokes, Richard Kudrow, Smith Pritchett, Donnie Bichon, Pam Bichon,uncle Sos..

Location ..
Bayou Breaux, Louisiana..

PLOT..

Bayou Breaux, Louisiana..

Pam Bichon ..a 37 year old women's corpse found mutilated, butchered in an abandoned house.The prime suspect, one Marcus Renard an architect in firm called Bowen & Briggs arrested for the murder of Pam Bichon on the basis
Kym
Setting: Bayou Breaux, Louisiana, contemporary
Genre: Mystery/thriller
Forgive any misspelling as this is a review of the audio format

Sheriff's Deputy Annie Broussard is very ambitious, with the goal of becoming a detective. She's a very by-the-book and idealistic officer. She is the only female who has patrol duty. Needless to say (but I will), she has to deal with the "boys will be boys" sh*t. She lives in the apartment over the corner store her foster family owns. They fostered her after her mo
Annika
Aug 27, 2009 Annika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh, just as I remembered! "A Thin Dark Line" claims to be the fourth (and last) part of the Doucet series, Tami Hoag's little Cajun-country romp into the swamps and streams of the bayou in south Louisiana. Hoag goes so far as to provide a nice Cajun dictionary in the back of the book with the phrases and meanings of what her characters are saying. (I wish a pronunciation guide was included, but I have imagination enough to help me out.)

I think "A Thin Dark Line" stands alone by itself just fin
Samyann
May 09, 2015 Samyann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully read by Karen Peakes, A Thin Dark Line was originally published in 1997, however this audiobook version was released last fall, in September of 2014. The book is a long one, close to nineteen hours of listening. The reading by Peakes is very well done, with a unique voice for each character, male and female alike. Although not a Southerner myself, the dialects seemed right-on.

This story is a who-done-it with a myriad of potential murderers. A female deputy is the first to find the re
Goodreads Librari...: Please add Audible audiobook 3 16 May 09, 2015 01:11PM
  • Twice Kissed
  • Haunting Rachel
  • True Crime
  • The Burning Man
  • Long After Midnight
  • All Fall Down
  • The Viking Funeral (Shane Scully, #2)
  • The Cold Room (Taylor Jackson, #4)
  • Killing Time
  • Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4)
  • Moon Music
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • Full Pursuit
  • The Survivors Club
  • Midnight Rain
  • She Loves Me Not
Tami Hoag is the #1 internationally bestselling author of more than thirty books published in more than thirty languages worldwide, including her latest thrillers—BITTER SEASON, COLD COLD HEART and THE 9TH GIRL. Renowned for combining thrilling plots with character-driven suspense, Hoag first hit the New York Times Bestseller list with NIGHT SINS, and each of her books since has been a bestseller. ...more
More about Tami Hoag...

Doucet (4 books)
  • The Restless Heart (Doucet, #1)
  • Lucky's Lady (Doucet, #2)
  • Cry Wolf (Doucet, #3)

“The world isn't black and white, Annie, it's shades of grey.” 41 likes
“Sure, why not?" she said. "You know, you read about a crime in the paper and you think how terrible for the victims, and then you turn the page and move on.” 4 likes