Start by marking “Write Before Your Eyes Write Before Your Eyes Write Before Your Eyes” as Want to Read:
Write Before Your Eyes Write Before Your Eyes Write Before Your Eyes

Write Before Your Eyes Write Before Your Eyes Write Before Your Eyes

3.16 of 5 stars 3.16  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  27 reviews
TWELVE-YEAR-OLD GRACIE IS always flying under the radar of her overworked parents and outspoken siblings. But when she buys an old journal at a yard sale, Gracie is stunned to realize that everything she writes in the journal comes true-though sometimes in unexpected ways.
At first Gracie uses the journal selfishly, controlling her mother's BlackBerry and eliminating the d
Published October 14th 2008 by Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Write Before Your Eyes Write Before Your Eyes Write Before Your Eyes

Chelsea
A neat idea told in a way to make it as boring as possible. There were pacing problems, but decent characters; the writing was competent but certainly not amazing.

My one big issue, believe it or not, was that the plot was so unrealistic. I'm willing to go with the "everything Gracie writes in her journal comes true" plot, but you have to meet me halfway. I was with her through "make my parents stop fighting" and "get my sister a date with her crush" and "help my brother pass his test", but then
Trish
Write Before Your Eyes - Review
A squirrel landed on the branch beside Gracie and boldly looked her in the eye.

An acorn fell to the ground.

Mom's Blackberry rang.

Dylan rounded the bend beside the weeping willow, his hands in the pockets of his baggy khaki shorts.

A fuchsia elephant appeared on the horizon.

What if you found a journal that seemed meant for you? Right down to the quote on the first page, "Remember what the dormouse said" (from White Rabbit by Grace Slick, who Gracie was named after).
Sandy
This is another one that I just couldn't bring myself to finish. It's written in the spirit of old school fantasy like Edward Eager's Half Magic, but it's too much. There are so many direct references to this book and to Alice in Wonderland that I don't think there's a single original idea to be found. I was also frustrated with the portrayal of the main character, whose age seemed to fluctuate between 8 and 15 depending on the scene.

Also, this is a book that at first glance (and at first read o
Barbara
Gracie Rawley is the quiet one in the family between her more demanding older sister, Jen, and younger brother, Alex. She buys a faded blue journal at a yard sale and soon discovers everything she writes in it comes true. For someone who always “flew under the radar,” what should she do with her new found power? When she shares the news with her best friend and secret crush, Dylan, he suggests she write about world peace or better yet that he gets to kiss his crush, Lindsay Jacobs after school t ...more
Erin Sterling
Gracie is the smart, quiet middle child in her family whose best friends is the school genius. When she discovers a journal where whatever she writes comes true, she tries to use it for good, only to discover that the truth isn’t always what it seems. Starting with small, personal entries, such as giving her sister the date she’s been wishing for or a perfect score for her brother on a test he didn’t study for, her she really wants to solve bigger world problems, but doesn’t want them to backfir ...more
Terri
Gracie, the middle child in her busy family, is often overlooked and feels powerless, but that changes when she buys an old journal at a yard sale. Gracie quickly discovers that anything she writes in the journal comes true. Her plan to to solve the great problems of the world quickly degenerates into attempts to solve her own difficulties. Unfortunately for Gracie her plans usually carry unforeseen details that make her solutions less than ideal and often create more problems than they solve. G ...more
Susan P
Gracie buys an old journal at a garage sale - and discovers that whatever she writes in the journal comes true in real life. Sounds like at idea at first - she writes that the principal removed the school dress code, and the next day he does. She writes that her dad gets the job of his dreams - and he does. But.... the results aren't always lasting. A few days later the principal not only reinstates the dress code, but requires uniforms. And Gracie's dad's amazing new job is in a town that's fou ...more
Jill
Being 12 is confusing enough, but when you add in a magic journal, things are even more mixed-up! Gracie has acquired a journal in which whatever she writes comes true. At first this, seems like the best thing in the world. However, Gracies soon learns that there are consequences for everything. For instance, when she innocently writes, "Gracie's dad got a job as a sports announcer, the job he wanted more than anything else in the world," she never dreams that the job will be in a different stat ...more
Christiane
Very similar in concept to The Genie Scheme. Powerless, mostly ignored middle child Grace buys a journal at a yard sale and discovers that everything she writes in it comes true! The possibilities are endless and overwhelming. World peace? Feed the children? Stop global warming? Make your cute boy best friend realize he has feeling for you after all? There were a few little annoying glitches that a good editor could have caught, and some things that felt a little false (an eighth-grade girl has ...more
Tracie
Gracie buys a magical journal at a yard sale - everything she writes in it seems to be coming true. Should she write for world peace or to end hunger? Before she can even contemplate those big wishes, the more personal ones she's made seem to be going awry. An interesting mix of naivete and worldliness.
Caroline
This book is about Grace. Her Mom is always working. Her Dad lost his job. Grace's younger brother Alex and older sister Jen are not really concerned. Grace finds a magical journal. What ever she writes actually happens! When she loses the book to Dylan's Dad (Dylan is her BFF)see what happens next!
H.orses
This book is a great spin on a fairy tale come to life, I loved it! When reading I have found that many authors like to use Alice in Wonderland as a kind of feeling or something, but many use that reference and this book makes no exception with the Cheshire Cat on the cover. Amazing!
Bob Vankirk
Thought it was okay, a fun and safe middle school level book. I liked the homage paid to Alice in Wonderland, which was creative. I also think it provides some good thought for adolescents regarding their choices - sometimes truly benevolent actions turn out poorly.
danielle
This is a clever "normal child finds magic object" tale with a self-aware twist. The author pays explicit homage to Half Magic and Alice in Wonderland and implicitly references dozens of other similar books.
Betsy
Definitely owes a bit to Edward Eager, but doesn't get into the intricacies of wishing and wishes' consequences as distinctly as it might. Nice enough but there isn't quite enough here to distinguish it from the pack.
Sophie Hudson
i need help with this book, what is the climax, main conflict, mood, point of view, protagonist, antagonist, setting, theme, and genre. D: please help me!
Maria Caplin
Just found this at the bookstore. It is brand new I only hope that the book is as good as the cover introduction.
Dawn
I had the sample on Nook and wanted to read the whole thing it was SSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO. GOOD
Portia P.
Fun YA read for any reader that allows their imagination to soar yet maintains one foot grounded.
Dominique Sturkey
This book is okay . Im almost done with it but i cant seem to get into it . But hopefully i will .
Karen
The book was a little hard for me to get into, but I the farther I got the more I liked it.
Rebecca
Laurie
This wasn't exceptional, but I enjoyed it. See a future issue of SLJ for full review. :o)
Kate Hastings
Girl finds a magical journal; whatever she writes in it comes true. Chaos ensues. RL 740
Darbie
This book was amazing! So interresting and fun to read!
Nancy Lockett
Nominated for LYRC 2011. Simple, but ok.
Thia
self fullfilling diary
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Summer of the Wolves (Sisters in All Seasons #1) Wild Horse Spring (Sisters in All Seasons #2) Blue Autumn Cruise (Sisters in All Seasons #3) The Princesses of Atlantis Winter's Tide (Sisters in All Seasons #4)