Start by marking “Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) About TV” as Want to Read:
Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) About TV

Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) About TV

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Shut Up, TV!

In Television Without Pity, the founders of the popular TV-recap Web site TelevisionWithoutPity.com pay snarky tribute to 752 of the shows, characters, actors, clichés, plot devices, memorable moments, and catchphrases that make watching TV such a guilty pleasure.

Topics include:

• America’s Next Top Model
• Bad Sitcoms Starring Good Comedians
• Celebrity
Published October 5th 2006 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Television Without Pity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Television Without Pity

Rachel
It's likely that many years from now when I remember the '00s, I will remember it as the TWoP decade, if only because it seems as if I spent a good 20% of my waking hours on that site. Although I more or less stopped reading and posting there six or seven years ago, with NBC recently shutting down the website, it seemed like a good time to finally read this book, which consists of short entries in alphabetical order bearing such headings as "Harrison, Chris, Indistinguishability from Mark L. Wal ...more
Barbara
It's pretty funny and they feel similarly about some of the shows that I watch and have watched. And they remember stuff I thought noone else did.

Some of it I was crying laughing about.

My main complaint is it needs copyediting and there are letters they leave out. Needs technical polish.
Ubalstecha
This is one of the most important books a bathroom can have. Full of quips, synopses and snarky comments, there are times you will laugh out loud, other times you will snicker, but above all else, you will nod your head in appreciation of the observations in this book.
Jennifer Johnson

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to find this book in my local used bookstore. I love the website Television Without Pity. I loved that website back in it's early days- when it was known as Mighty Big TV. The recaps are always funny and a GODSEND when you miss an episode. While I don't really spend a tonne of time there anymore- I still have a soft spot for the site and it's contributors, whose blogs I still frequently read.

Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (And
Sarra
Jan 03, 2011 Sarra rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
I just... hate everything about the way these women write. Liiiiiiike... constant over- and mis-use of ellipses. Aaaaaaaaaand the way they draw out vowels for emphasis. It's also not cute when you tack someone's name onto the end of an insult, SARS. Lose the shtick and learn how to really write already, TARA. HAAAAAATE.

Seriously, they might occasionally be funny, but their writing gimmicks are extra-gimmicky in book form - and the sorts of things I listed above come off as grating, juvenile, and
lisa
this book reminded me why i stopped reading twop in the first place: their attitude toward firefly was so obnoxious that i couldn't handle it. i know it's just one show, and i don't care that they personally dislike it (although i think that's more because they never gave it a chance than because they disliked it), but when you're writing what amounts to a tv encyclopedia in 2006 and you don't even mention firefly in the cult tv shows entry, your bias is showing a whole lot.

otherwise it was funn
Betsy
As a child of the 1970's who clearly remembers the launch of Nickelodeon, the heyday of Beverly Hills 90210 and the season finale of M*A*S*H, this books is a nostalgic tour of all that's delightful and horible (but too fascinating to turn off) about television. The tome of guilty-pleasure TV trivia will mean little to those folks who insist they've never seen an episode of Friends or Survivor. Instead, this is a gift for those TV junkies in your life who can still sing the theme from the Gilliga ...more
Melissa
I confess. I bought this book as part of a friend's Christmas present (we bonded over www.televisionwithoutpity.com way back when), and then I had to read the entire thing before sending her her gift. Which made her gift arrive late. I am a bad friend, but it's a damn fun book. Basically like candy, or maybe popcorn, it's snarky comments about television. Some notable ommissions, but also some really fun categories. I laughed, I stayed up too late reading, completely sucked in. Much like I do wi ...more
miriam
es una especie de enciclopedia acerca de la televisión en Estados Unidos creada por la web de TWP, es muy interesante y divertido, sus análisis de algunos asuntos que se repiten en las series son muy buenos, la única pega que le pongo es que deberían hacer una segunda parte porque faltan muchas series que ahora mismo llenarían páginas y páginas como pueda ser Perdidos, Héroes... pero es que cuando crearon el libro estas series aún no estaban en antena (inglés)
Meghan
Okay, this is more an encyclopedia of various observations on television phenomenons and cliches. It's not a sit-down-and-read-it-cover-to-cover book, but I always pick it up and finger through it when I need a good laugh. Soooo funny!! I've been reading the TWOP website's recaps of various shows for years now. With hilarious entries like "Gallagher, Peter, Eyebrows of" and "Afterschool specials", this hilarious book keeps me smiling.
Jackie
An entertaining inventory of television, from the trashy to the sublime (but mostly the trashy). It's somewhat outdated now, but it's still funny if you're vaguely familiar with shows from the early 2000; there's also a lot on classic television, and most of both new and old stuff is amusing even if you're not familiar with what they're talking about. Just avoid this if you can't handle people hating on your favorite things...
Nancy
I LOVE IT! Even when I disagree with the authors' viewpoint, I still laugh at it. I enjoy the encyclopedia set up of the whole thing, and the "see also" portions at the bottom. If you love TV as much as I do, you should check this book out. I like to have it around, just as a reference. Oh, and I love the gratuitous use of schadenfreude, including the (I believe) newly coined schadenfreudelicious
Liannis
Given this book away twice as gifts, and figured I should finally read it myself. It's a really good book, a virtual smorgasbord of TV trivia, snark, and witty observations. The only problem is it's slightly dated, and missing more recent television. But, it's still really good, especially if you've ever been to the [http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com] site.
Courtney Harris
An A-Z guide that is dedicated to Ian Ziering and includes an entry on Peter Gallagher's eyebrows. In other words, brilliant. However, it gets a low rating for such shoddy copy editing! Makes me wonder if they pulled an all-nighter to meet their deadline - and we (by which I mean I) know squinting toward the finish line in the middle of the night is a bad, bad idea.
Daniel Kukwa
It tries VERY hard to be funny and witty and biting...but it certainly pales in comparison to the Virgin Publishing line of programme guides. It comes across as an "also ran", trying to be hip & cool...and stumbling with every step. Shows what happens when you've been spoiled by higher quality (and much funnier) TV & film critiques.
Kelly ODwyer-Manuel
Jun 16, 2008 Kelly ODwyer-Manuel rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Television fans
Television Without Pity is one of my very favorite websites, and I was very excited to be able to read a book written by Tara Ariano and Sara Bunting. The book did not disappoint. Wonderfully funny anecdotes written in the snarky style that makes the website so popular.

A must-read for any TV fan!
Elizabeth
Simply hilarious. Careful if you're going to read it in public, however, as you WILL embarrass yourself by snorting, weeping with laughter, etc. I had to stop reading it on the CTA because I was getting funny looks.
Gwen
Mar 22, 2008 Gwen rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
I like this book, except that it would have been better if the other writers besides Wing Chung and Sars from the website had also written some of the entries. This is definately a good bathroom book though.
Celine
This book was mostly fluff but easy to read in little bites. It was nice to know that I wasn't the only one who loved the show Double Trouble!!
Jenny
This book is so funny. The rantings and ravings of tv shows past and present are hilarious. I really enjoyed their hatred of Dawson and his Creek.
Kate
Sep 04, 2007 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: TV lovers and haters
Shelves: adultnon-fiction
A funny irreverent look at all things TV. What couldn't be great about a book that is dedicated to Ian Ziering of Beverly Hills 90210 fame?
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
I wasn't going to buy this when I saw it at Vroman's but... I read the entry about Horatio Caine and I just cracked up! XD
Jessi
Very enjoyable! I got to revisit some of my past shows and actors, plus hopefully discovered some new ones too.
Bridget
Totally reminds me of when I used to love televisionwithoutpity.com.

Snark can be so darn fun.
Theresa
Cute and fun. Too wordy... this is a good book to read in short bursts.
Debs
Feb 04, 2010 Debs rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2006, humor
Fluff & brain candy. The TwoP ladies are funny, funny, funny, though.
Bethany Cook
HILARIOUS. Skimming through this book is a great way to fill a half hour.
Amy
Hilarious. TV is much more fun when you read this website/book with it.
Ed
Bring on the snark. TV lovers will get a kick out of this.
Christine
I (heart) TWoP, and this book made me laugh constantly.
  • Teen Dreams: Reading Teen Film and Television from 'Heathers' to 'Veronica Mars'
  • Jump the Shark: When Good Things Go Bad
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show
  • Fighting the Forces: What's at Stake in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • Buffy Goes Dark: Essays on the Final Two Seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Television
  • Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars
  • You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried: The Brat Pack, John Hughes, and Their Impact on a Generation
  • The Late Shift: Letterman, Leno & the Network Battle for the Night
  • What Would Buffy Do? The Vampire Slayer as Spiritual Guide
  • Bite Me!: An Unofficial Guide to the World of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 2
  • Inventory: 16 Films Featuring Manic Pixie Dream Girls, 10 Great Songs Nearly Ruined by Saxophone, and 100 More Obsessively Specific Pop-Culture Lists
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • The Perfect Thing: How the iPod Shuffles Commerce, Culture, and Coolness
  • Planet Simpson: How a Cartoon Masterpiece Defined a Generation
  • Inside Pee-wee's Playhouse: The Untold, Unauthorized, and Unpredictable Story of a Pop Phenomenon
Untitled: A Bad Teen Novel Hey! It's That Guy!