Start by marking “Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) about TV” as Want to Read:
Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) about TV

Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) about TV

Shut Up, TV!
In "Television Without Pity," the founders of the popular TV-recap Web site TelevisionWithoutPity.com pay snarky tribute to 752 of the shows, characters, actors, cliches, plot devices, memorable moments, and catchphrases that make watching TV such a guilty pleasure.
Topics include:
America s Next Top Model
Bad Sitcoms Starring Good Comedians
Celebrity Poke
Published September 1st 2006 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Television Without Pity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Television Without Pity

Rachel
May 11, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
It's likely that many years from now when I remember the '00s, I will remember it as the TWoP decade, if only because it seems as if I spent a good 20% of my waking hours on that site. Although I more or less stopped reading and posting there six or seven years ago, with NBC recently shutting down the website, it seemed like a good time to finally read this book, which consists of short entries in alphabetical order bearing such headings as "Harrison, Chris, Indistinguishability from Mark L. Wal ...more
Barbara
Nov 02, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
It's pretty funny and they feel similarly about some of the shows that I watch and have watched. And they remember stuff I thought noone else did.

Some of it I was crying laughing about.

My main complaint is it needs copyediting and there are letters they leave out. Needs technical polish.
Ubalstecha
This is one of the most important books a bathroom can have. Full of quips, synopses and snarky comments, there are times you will laugh out loud, other times you will snicker, but above all else, you will nod your head in appreciation of the observations in this book.
Dan
Aug 21, 2016 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: entertainment
Television Without Pity is organized like an encyclopedic work, with individual entries, in alphabetical order, on television shows, actors, characters, themes and moments. It is not a book for winning bar bets or settling arguments; it's not even really organized as a reference work, but is actually kind of random overall. Look at the note for actor Terry O'Quinn, for instance, and you'll find that he plays John Locke on Lost. However, you won't find any article on the show, or even any other ...more
Jennifer Johnson
May 25, 2009 Jennifer Johnson rated it really liked it

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to find this book in my local used bookstore. I love the website Television Without Pity. I loved that website back in it's early days- when it was known as Mighty Big TV. The recaps are always funny and a GODSEND when you miss an episode. While I don't really spend a tonne of time there anymore- I still have a soft spot for the site and it's contributors, whose blogs I still frequently read.

Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (And
Karen-Leigh
Jul 08, 2016 Karen-Leigh rated it liked it
This is very entertaining. The opinions on all the familiar, to me, televisions shows and seeing where we agree and disagree. Some very biting remarks but on the whole a lovely slant and perspective.
Sarra
Jan 03, 2011 Sarra rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
I just... hate everything about the way these women write. Liiiiiiike... constant over- and mis-use of ellipses. Aaaaaaaaaand the way they draw out vowels for emphasis. It's also not cute when you tack someone's name onto the end of an insult, SARS. Lose the shtick and learn how to really write already, TARA. HAAAAAATE.

Seriously, they might occasionally be funny, but their writing gimmicks are extra-gimmicky in book form - and the sorts of things I listed above come off as grating, juvenile, and
Kerrikoala
Feb 27, 2015 Kerrikoala rated it liked it
This book is evil! Haha. I'd stay up late reading it, then be up even later because I'd have to look shows they mentioned up on youtube. This was sort of amusing and somewhat dated, and I'm a little surprised that certain shows and people were left out. I also didn't agree with all of their opinions, but that's the way it goes. I used to read recaps on televisionwithoutpity.com, until I realized that it was ruining my favorite shows for me. (Too much snark, I guess.) This book almost made me mis ...more
Lisa
Feb 09, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
Amusing most of the time, but not really a book you'd read all at once. It did crack me up pretty regularly though, and made me remember tv shows I hadn't thought of in forever. Written exactly like the website, which I liked.
lisa
Jul 09, 2009 lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: used-to-be-mine
this book reminded me why i stopped reading twop in the first place: their attitude toward firefly was so obnoxious that i couldn't handle it. i know it's just one show, and i don't care that they personally dislike it (although i think that's more because they never gave it a chance than because they disliked it), but when you're writing what amounts to a tv encyclopedia in 2006 and you don't even mention firefly in the cult tv shows entry, your bias is showing a whole lot.

otherwise it was funn
Betsy
Dec 30, 2008 Betsy rated it really liked it
As a child of the 1970's who clearly remembers the launch of Nickelodeon, the heyday of Beverly Hills 90210 and the season finale of M*A*S*H, this books is a nostalgic tour of all that's delightful and horible (but too fascinating to turn off) about television. The tome of guilty-pleasure TV trivia will mean little to those folks who insist they've never seen an episode of Friends or Survivor. Instead, this is a gift for those TV junkies in your life who can still sing the theme from the Gilliga ...more
Kate
Mar 03, 2016 Kate rated it did not like it
snippy, vulgar,obviously 20 something rubbish. don't waste your time!
Melissa
Mar 13, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
I confess. I bought this book as part of a friend's Christmas present (we bonded over www.televisionwithoutpity.com way back when), and then I had to read the entire thing before sending her her gift. Which made her gift arrive late. I am a bad friend, but it's a damn fun book. Basically like candy, or maybe popcorn, it's snarky comments about television. Some notable ommissions, but also some really fun categories. I laughed, I stayed up too late reading, completely sucked in. Much like I do wi ...more
Michael
Apr 25, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
hilarious
miriam
May 30, 2011 miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: tv, essays
es una especie de enciclopedia acerca de la televisión en Estados Unidos creada por la web de TWP, es muy interesante y divertido, sus análisis de algunos asuntos que se repiten en las series son muy buenos, la única pega que le pongo es que deberían hacer una segunda parte porque faltan muchas series que ahora mismo llenarían páginas y páginas como pueda ser Perdidos, Héroes... pero es que cuando crearon el libro estas series aún no estaban en antena (inglés)
Meghan
Aug 15, 2009 Meghan rated it really liked it
Okay, this is more an encyclopedia of various observations on television phenomenons and cliches. It's not a sit-down-and-read-it-cover-to-cover book, but I always pick it up and finger through it when I need a good laugh. Soooo funny!! I've been reading the TWOP website's recaps of various shows for years now. With hilarious entries like "Gallagher, Peter, Eyebrows of" and "Afterschool specials", this hilarious book keeps me smiling.
Jackie
Sep 06, 2011 Jackie rated it really liked it
An entertaining inventory of television, from the trashy to the sublime (but mostly the trashy). It's somewhat outdated now, but it's still funny if you're vaguely familiar with shows from the early 2000; there's also a lot on classic television, and most of both new and old stuff is amusing even if you're not familiar with what they're talking about. Just avoid this if you can't handle people hating on your favorite things...
Nancy
Feb 06, 2007 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I LOVE IT! Even when I disagree with the authors' viewpoint, I still laugh at it. I enjoy the encyclopedia set up of the whole thing, and the "see also" portions at the bottom. If you love TV as much as I do, you should check this book out. I like to have it around, just as a reference. Oh, and I love the gratuitous use of schadenfreude, including the (I believe) newly coined schadenfreudelicious
Liannis
Aug 06, 2007 Liannis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popculture
Given this book away twice as gifts, and figured I should finally read it myself. It's a really good book, a virtual smorgasbord of TV trivia, snark, and witty observations. The only problem is it's slightly dated, and missing more recent television. But, it's still really good, especially if you've ever been to the [http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com] site.
Courtney Harris
Aug 27, 2007 Courtney Harris rated it it was ok
An A-Z guide that is dedicated to Ian Ziering and includes an entry on Peter Gallagher's eyebrows. In other words, brilliant. However, it gets a low rating for such shoddy copy editing! Makes me wonder if they pulled an all-nighter to meet their deadline - and we (by which I mean I) know squinting toward the finish line in the middle of the night is a bad, bad idea.
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 04, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
It tries VERY hard to be funny and witty and biting...but it certainly pales in comparison to the Virgin Publishing line of programme guides. It comes across as an "also ran", trying to be hip & cool...and stumbling with every step. Shows what happens when you've been spoiled by higher quality (and much funnier) TV & film critiques.
Kelly ODwyer-Manuel
Jun 16, 2008 Kelly ODwyer-Manuel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Television fans
Television Without Pity is one of my very favorite websites, and I was very excited to be able to read a book written by Tara Ariano and Sara Bunting. The book did not disappoint. Wonderfully funny anecdotes written in the snarky style that makes the website so popular.

A must-read for any TV fan!
Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2007 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Simply hilarious. Careful if you're going to read it in public, however, as you WILL embarrass yourself by snorting, weeping with laughter, etc. I had to stop reading it on the CTA because I was getting funny looks.
Gwen
Mar 22, 2008 Gwen rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I like this book, except that it would have been better if the other writers besides Wing Chung and Sars from the website had also written some of the entries. This is definately a good bathroom book though.
Celine
May 01, 2012 Celine rated it liked it
This book was mostly fluff but easy to read in little bites. It was nice to know that I wasn't the only one who loved the show Double Trouble!!
Jenny
Jan 22, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing
This book is so funny. The rantings and ravings of tv shows past and present are hilarious. I really enjoyed their hatred of Dawson and his Creek.
Kate
Sep 04, 2007 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: TV lovers and haters
Shelves: adultnon-fiction
A funny irreverent look at all things TV. What couldn't be great about a book that is dedicated to Ian Ziering of Beverly Hills 90210 fame?
Cate (The Professional Fangirl)
I wasn't going to buy this when I saw it at Vroman's but... I read the entry about Horatio Caine and I just cracked up! XD
Jessi
Jul 27, 2011 Jessi rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable! I got to revisit some of my past shows and actors, plus hopefully discovered some new ones too.
Bridget
Totally reminds me of when I used to love televisionwithoutpity.com.

Snark can be so darn fun.
  • Teen Dreams: Reading Teen Film and Television from 'Heathers' to 'Veronica Mars'
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Season Finale: The Unexpected Rise and Fall of the WB and UPN
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • Inside Pee-wee's Playhouse: The Untold, Unauthorized, and Unpredictable Story of a Pop Phenomenon
  • Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show
  • You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried: The Brat Pack, John Hughes, and Their Impact on a Generation
  • Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy the Vampire Slayer