Start by marking “The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas (Good Thief's Guide, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas (Good Thief's Guide, #3)

The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas (Good Thief's Guide #3)

Chris Ewan's The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas is the next caper in a series that’s being called “impressive… comic…fresh” (Publishers Weekly--starred review).

Charlie Howard isn’t only a part-time crime writer and part-time thief; he’s also a magician. For his next trick, he’ll relieve Josh Masters, the famous illusionist vying for the affections of Charlie’s friend Victori
Published August 17th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published April 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Thief's Guide to Vegas

Scarlett Barnhill
Oct 01, 2012 Scarlett Barnhill rated it did not like it
What an awful book.

It started out okay, nothing revolutionary, but at least attention-grabbing enough for me to keep reading. It then descended into a sludge of purple prose and rambling description (down to the state of the toenails of a maid that opened the door to a house of a minor character).

Then there's the issue of the main character. He's flat and uninteresting, and seems to have zero motivation beyond being a sleaze. He makes a point to comment on the body of almost every woman that ma
Lois
Oct 20, 2014 Lois rated it liked it
The third adventure with Charlie Howard, a Briton who writes mystery novels about a thief while being a thief himself. Deftly done.

He has talked his literary agent, Victoria, into coming to Las Vegas for a vacation after the adventures chronicled in the the previous book. In the land of gambling and cheating, they soon need a way to extricate themselves from plot twists, diversion, and sleight of hand. In the midst of this, we learn more about Victoria's backstory--why she's been surprisingly c
Susan
Dec 19, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-nevada
Evans is a good writer, with interesting characters and tight, twisty plots. It seems unfair to give him only a three star rating because he doesn't write the kind of books I like. If you enjoy suspense and a little violence, you'll really love him. Writer and burglar Charlie Howard and his prim literary agent Victoria make a detour to Las Vegas. Victoria doesn't approve of gambling, but she volunteers to work with a smarmy magician at a casino show. This leads the pair into big trouble, and som ...more
Chelsea
Oct 16, 2010 Chelsea rated it did not like it
This book started off with a bang. It seemed so promising, and went downhill from there. Wish I would have given up on this mystery..but I did hang on till the last page.
Joseph OToole
Dec 27, 2010 Joseph OToole rated it liked it
Starts REALLY strong, bur fails at the moment of ah-HA! that's necessary in a mystery, rendering the conclusion sort of muddled. Still a decent read.
Marie
Jan 10, 2017 Marie rated it really liked it
3.75 stars.

These stories keep getting funnier and funnier. As much as I loved the Paris story, I was surprised that the Vegas story was even more enjoyable. Ewan is great with mixing high stakes and humour. Can't wait to read Venice!
Literameer
Mar 29, 2012 Literameer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aufmerksam wurde ich auf dieses Buch, als ich nach Büchern mit Las Vegas als Handlungsort gesucht habe. Las Vegas ist eine meiner absoluten Lieblingsstädte und wenn ich schon nicht dort sein kann, wollte ich der Stadt wenigstens literarisch begegnen. "Vendetta in Las Vegas" ist der dritte Teil einer Reihe um Charlie Howard. Entgegen meiner Angewohnheit Reihen der Reihenfolge nach zu lesen habe ich es gewagt und habe die Reihe mittendrin angefangen. Dies stellt auch absolut kein Problem dar, denn ...more
Literameer
Mar 27, 2012 Literameer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wing Kee
Jul 04, 2014 Wing Kee rated it liked it
Same story, differnt city!

I like the Good Thief books, they are junk food. They are good palate cleaners for me after I've read too much SF and Fantasy. However, after reading this 3rd book in the series, I've come to accept a couple of things about Ewan's writing. He's great on characters and dialog, story not so much:

World: Vegas baby! Nothing much else need be said. If you've been there then you will see that Ewan has the tone and feel of the world spot on. Both the glamour and the filth. I w
Trish
Oct 22, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it
This is the second book about Las Vegas I’ve read in a short cycle. Don’t know the significance of that—I don’t really enjoy gambling. But this book was a bit of a gamble since I'd never heard about the author. This is apparently the third in a series and Ewan succeeded admirably, a tongue-in-cheek mystery that features a failed? failing? part-time mystery writer, Charlie, who manages to supplement his income by being a petty thief as well. But he has a good heart: Charlie doesn’t like to steal ...more
Bethany
Mar 06, 2013 Bethany rated it liked it
Oh dear. Another one bites the dust.

I LOVE the narrator. He's fantastic, of course. Even when he's trying to sound like an American. Haha, it totally and completely fills my need to hear an English person attempt (and almost pull off) an American accent. It makes me think we must all sound like fools when we try it the other way round.

But he's wonderful, really.
The book was quite enjoyable. I am, however, beginning to get a little bit ahead of his twisty-twisty bit at the ends. The books are cer
Chi Dubinski
Sep 12, 2012 Chi Dubinski rated it really liked it
Charlie Howard, the mystery writer and thief, visits Vegas in the third book in Chris Ewan's Guide Thief Guide series. With his literary agent Victoria, Charlie visits the Fifty-Fifty casino, where he picks the pocket of magician Josh Masters, the hotel's headline act. And when Charlie later breaks into Masters' hotel room, he discovers a body in the bathtub, and that the magician's assistant is missing. Immediately putting two and two together, Charlie figures the magician is involved in someth ...more
Kieran Bates
May 04, 2015 Kieran Bates rated it liked it
Admittedly, at no point did I find myself bored while reading this but I often found myself making exasperated groans as the main character cracked his witty remarks. I'm a fan of wit and humour in most novels, particularly in this usually dark and gritty genre but I'm afraid it was used too much and lost it's effect in the long run.
The major flaw in this book is the disappointing pay off. While I was trying to solve the case before our protagonist Charlie, the resolution was just a bit... Off
Nicki
I read this after reading the first two books in the series which I thoroughly enjoyed. Normally I have a break between authors, but as I was enjoying the series I thought I'd carry on. It really didn't work this time and I just didn't like this one at all. I didn't like the story which might be because I was on holiday myself, and the thought of burglars really changed my perspective on Charlie Howard in this book. I found all the breaking in details monotonous in stead of interesting. I got ab ...more
Isa McLaren
Mar 02, 2015 Isa McLaren rated it liked it
I'm always wary of first-person POV books. This one was on the verge of changing my mind until about 3/4ths through, the main character introduced himself to someone else and I was lost, having completely forgotten his name was Charlie. Who's Charlie? Oh, right. The main character.

There were a few reality vs fiction disconnects having to do with casinos, but it's possible that because I'm a huge Vegas aficionado, I noticed more than others would.

Overall, an entertaining tale. I picked this one
Ice
Jul 05, 2013 Ice rated it really liked it
Amy Cockram
Jul 18, 2011 Amy Cockram rated it liked it

This is the 3rd book in Chris Ewan's Good Thief series.

After having had to leave Amsterdam and Paris due to his nefarious exploits, Charlie Howard visits Las Vegas with his agent, Victoria for a vacation. Of course, things don't go as planned. A magician chats up Victoria at the tables, Charlie gets jealous and steals his wallet, and all hell lets loose. We also learn a little bit more about Victoria.

This is a strong entry in a series which is getting better as the relationship between Charlie a
Steven Scoular
Apr 27, 2016 Steven Scoular rated it really liked it
This is wonderfully witty and I will be grabbing the rest of the series! Very much a gentleman thief/raffles/ utter clutz but it works and the writer really does come out with the occasional gem (such as the smut scene). I quite like the fact that the main character is an author of bad conmen novels- there's a lot to be mined there! It ends poorly, but for such a refreshing style and character I can forgive it a bit- I am a bit biased due to my passion of magic, misdirection and confidence trick ...more
Jay
Nov 19, 2011 Jay rated it it was ok
Tl;dr: highly polished turd.

Neat little package at the end but making the character a writer allows for overly, deliberate, (and frustratingly) clever sequences. Plot holes (like victoria forgetting ricks being present at the time of the ultimatum), and poor character evolution sways the rating. While being an interesting read, I did not feel sucked into believeing Charlie Howard was a real person, instead he seemed a bumbling caricature, who possessed as much skill as anyone armed with a set of
Teri
Apr 06, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
audio book. Once more, Charlie finds himself a possible suspect, not for a crime he did commit, but for one he didn't. This time, his agent, Victoria, has reluctantly accompanied him to Las Vegas. A little burglary job turns sinister when he thinks he sees a body floating in a bathtub; and then a magician disappears. To extricate themselves, Charlie and Victoria either need to come up with a lot of money, or the missing magician. Fast-paced and engaging.
Martina
Jul 30, 2016 Martina rated it really liked it
The Good Thief's Guide #3... We discussed the first in the series, Amsterdam, with the Mystery Book Group in July 2009. Listening to it while I do a lot of paperwork....

Kept getting sidetracked, but finished listening today. It was not quite a 4 star read, but way more than a 3. I liked it a lot, faltered a bit about 2/3rds through, but the ending was a big surprise. I'll keep reading the series as I enjoy the character and the humor throughout the books.
Ariella
Jul 22, 2013 Ariella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I was listening to this on audio but I didn't finish it before it was due and had to erase it from my device. Apparently I cannot keep overdue audiobooks. Oh we'll. it was fun but I guess not engaging enough. But maybe that is not fair of me to say and it's just my fault for not doing enough activities that I can listen to the book and do at the same time. Maybe I will take it out again, maybe not.
Polly Sinclair
Aug 19, 2012 Polly Sinclair rated it liked it
I loved the first one in the series and would continue to read these but I don't think this is as good. But I often struggle to read books about places I've not been to so this might play a part in it. I'm a Jonathan Creek fan and these definitely appeal to me and I like the way they get you on the side of a bad guy. Not sure how much I like the side kick element now, so hope she gets relegated back to phone support in the next one!
Paul Cookson
what started out as a quite amusing read sadly failed to live up to it's promise. I was looking for an easy, funny read after reading a number or military history books. Fair play...this is easy to read and has some good comic moments. sadly it loses its way and tries to take itself too serious in the middle and then unnecessarily overcomplicated the ending. 2/10 is overly harsh a score while 3/10 is slightly generous
JodiP
Nov 10, 2013 JodiP rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
if anything, the author's getting better with dialogue and plot! I really enjoyed this, and like the main character. I did read it out of order, so I'll have to go back and read about Charley's Paris adventures. They are easy reading, good audio choice as there aren't too many characters and plot twists to keep track of. I also like the humor in the books.
Doug
Feb 18, 2012 Doug rated it really liked it
As always, it seems like I read these things out of sequence. I haven't read the first two in the series, but I really liked the writing style, the characters, and the plot. There were a few spots where I needed to re-read to make sure I had all of the twists and turns correct, but a very easy and fun read.

I will definitely read the earlier books in the series.
Miranda
Apr 23, 2016 Miranda rated it liked it
I read The Good Thief's Guide to Venice after traveling to Venice and I read this book after our recent trip to Las Vegas. These books are a nice diversion from heavier reading and always fun if you have been to the places described in the book. This one had a good deal of tension in it as the characters found themselves in some sticky situations.
Shannon
Jan 22, 2013 Shannon rated it really liked it
We find Victoria and Charlie traveling together to Vegas for a quick vacation...but, of course, they get caught up in a mystery. Murder, theft and other bad stuff. This one was pretty easy to follow and, while the conclusion is a bit of a surprise, the 'bad guy' is kinda sprung a little late in the story. I really liked the development of Victoria.
Bob
Jan 29, 2014 Bob rated it really liked it
I actually started reading this without knowing that it was the third book in a series of "Good Thief" books. It didn't matter, as the first-person main character storyline is self-contained and pretty enjoyable. There's nothing otherworldly about this story, but it's entertaining, and the brief fourth-wall breaking unreliable narrator aspect of this series is really a guilty pleasure.
Jess
Jul 27, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
Overall a fun, heist-type mystery. My primary complaint is that there weren't any clues that led to the big reveal. A good mystery should provide the reader with enough clues to figure out the whodunnit, even if very difficult to spot, and this book did not do that.
Also, pretty sure some middle-aged American men would not use the word "prick." Do you research, dude.
  • Zagreb Cowboy
  • Blanche Cleans Up
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • Herbie's Game (Junior Bender, #4)
  • 2666, Part 5: The Part About Archimboldi
  • Beluga (Nick Reid, #2)
  • The Rabbit Factory (Lomax & Biggs, #1)
  • The Maltese Goddess (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #2)
  • Con Ed
  • Bloody Streets of Paris
  • Butterfly's Shadow
  • The Man with the Baltic Stare (Inspector O, #4)
  • The Singapore School of Villainy (Inspector Singh Investigates #3)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • Lady Thief
  • She Shoots to Conquer (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #13)
  • King Con
  • The Abyssinian Proof (Kamil Pasha, #2)
Born in Taunton in 1976, Chris Ewan now lives on the Isle of Man with his wife Jo and their labrador Maisie.

Chris’ debut novel, THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO AMSTERDAM, won the Long Barn Books First Novel Competition and is published in paperback by Simon and Schuster. THE GOOD THIEF’S GUIDE TO PARIS, is due to be published in the UK in February 2009 and in the US in November 2008.

More about Chris Ewan...

Good Thief's Guide (5 books)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam (Good Thief's Guide, #1)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Paris (Good Thief's Guide, #2)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Venice (Good Thief's Guide, #4)
  • The Good Thief's Guide to Berlin (Good Thief's Guide, #5)