Start by marking “Pretty Little Things” as Want to Read:
Pretty Little Things

Pretty Little Things

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,778 ratings  ·  311 reviews
Thirteen-year-old Lainey Emerson is the middle child in a home police are already familiar with: her mother works too much and her stepfather favors his own blood over another man’s problems—namely Lainey and her wild older sister, Liza. So when Lainey does not come home from a Friday night out with her friends, it is dismissed by the Coral Springs P.D. as just another dis ...more
Published September 7th 2010 by Vanguard Press

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Little Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Little Things

William Bentrim
Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman

This book is not for the faint of heart. It deals with disposable children. Children who have been abandon by society or have abandoned society. Kids who have run away or have been snatched from all walks of life. Internet predators are specifically addressed and this is the story of Special Agent Bobby Dees and his efforts to save these children.

This was an excellent mystery. It was still hard to read. The predator was despicable and wholly frightening. W
Lauren
A gripping (and horrifying) story that grabbed my attention at the beginning, but the ending was awful. Unexpected, yes, but also highly unlikely and surrounded by a clumsy set of bizarre coincidences that made even less sense the more I thought about them.
Julie
Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman is a 2014 Thomas & Mercer publication.

I have always enjoyed novels by Jilliane Hoffman and this one was no exception. A gritty and heart wrenching suspense thriller that left me in white knuckled suspense and a feeling of pain for victims of these crimes and their families, but also a feeling of hope.

When thirteen year old Lainey disappears it's not just a job for Bobby Dees and the Crimes Against Children Squad. For Bobby each of these crimes is per
Karschtl
Ein sehr gutes Buch, das ich innerhalb von 2 Tagen verschlungen hatte und bei dem man am Ende eigentlich gern wieder von Neuem anfangen möchte um zu schauen, ob man eingangs nicht ein paar Hinweise auf den Mörder übersehen hatte. Denn mit diesem Ende hätte ich nicht wirklich gerechnet und frage mich immer noch, wie er das so alles bewerkstelligt hat.

Zur Ausgangslage: über's Internet macht der "Mädchenfänger" (der von der Polizei allerdings "Picasso" genannt wird; wieder mal so ein Fall wo man si
Best Crime Books
Jilliane Hoffman was introduced to me originally by a friend and I read her first novel Retribution (2005) which I adored. However her next book didn't come out until a year later (Last Witness - 2006) and another two years go by before another book gets released (Plea of Insanity - 2008) and after that I forgot about her because it is so unpredictable with the timings of her books. Therefore I couldn't wait to get my grubby little paws on her latest thriller.

Pretty Little Things tells the story
Lynda Kelly
I really struggled with this book and almost packed it in a few times. The last was at around 58% and by then I needed to persist as I'd invested too much time on it.
There were way too many mistakes, some very basic indeed such as curser being used for cursor and concealor for concealer. Capital letters were missed at the start of sentences. There was a passage that made no sense whatsoever too-"just like the in the Bible".......
It was written as a teenager in places and that got very tiresome i
Kelly
Jolene
I love finding new places to get books! And the Dollar Tree might be my favorite! Sure, most of the selection is lame. A lot of political books, children's books and cheesy romance novels. But on occasion I find one that looks interesting enough to throw down the $1.08. And even if it doesn't turn out to be a book I love, I can pass it on and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Have I mentioned how cheap I am? So here we go!

Within the first few pages I wasn't feeling great about this book. Maybe
Pretty Little Things is a horrifically scary book for any parent of girls. The use of the internet (Myspace in this instance) to lure young teens into meeting. Abducting them. Holding them hostage. Killing them in brutal ways. All while the parents believe the kids have run away. We hear about stuff like this happening on the news. To someone else. It's every parents fear, but still most of us never consider it could happen to our family. Pretty Little Things gets to the heart of the matter, how ...more
yexxo
Obwohl nicht spektakulär (keine Toten, Folterszenen oder ähnliches) ist der Auftakt des neuen Buches von Jiliane Hoffman gelungen: Ein Psychopath beobachtet die 13jährige Lainey und tritt über ein Pseudonym mittels Internet mit ihr in Kontakt. Ein heißer Flirt entfaltet sich, ein Treffen bahnt sich an - und die Lesenden zittern mit, weil sie ahnen was geschehen wird. Doch das war's dann für die nächsten 100 Seiten mit der Spannung. Ausführlich wird die Suche nach der verschwunden Lainey beschrie ...more
Darcy
This is a hard book to read due to the subject manner, kidnapped kids, and a hard book to review without spoiling one little fact, which I will do later.

Bobby seems like a dedicated professional working in a field that rarely has happy endings. Bobby works in a specialized department that tracks missing kids. It is a thankless job, where often you find bodies, but Bobby is so good he has earned the nickname "The Shepherd" because he often finds even those lost cases. It is really hard not to lik
Nicolle
This was the first book I read of Jilliane Hoffman. She had me at the first sentence, I could not put this book down. The plot of the story is a real-life issue of internet predators. Through this book and its characters I realized how naive I am to on-line chats and techy stuff kids are into. As a parent, my eyes are now WIDE OPEN!

As a reader, I felt the emotion Hoffman was describing of her characters. At times it made me sick to my stomach and scared. A writer who can reach through the pages
SiredHybridxx
I won't give you a re-count of the entire book, 'cause that is the purpose of the blurb and I find it quite useless. Therefore, I'll just give my opinion on the book:

This book was very gripping and a very enjoyable read enabling me to complete this book within a few days. The mysteries of this book hooked me until the end, and I can see where the author has drawn her inspiration from. It has led to the creation of a fantastically sculptured and written story facing the darkness and current dange
Alex Mazzeo
Wow. Holy crap. I can't remember the last time a book had me at the edge of my seat like this before - the whole book took me only a little more than half a day to read, and I usually spend weeks on a book.

Pretty Little Things starts off by focusing on Lainey Emerson, a seventh grader living in Coral Springs (the city where I actually happened to grow up in - the middle school she 'went to' was an actual school I'd been in; freaky) who leads a pretty quiet existence. Like most teenagers, she's c
Shane Lusher
I struggled with a two or three rating, but finally left it at three. It really could have been a four if it hadn't been for the reporter, who changes personalities from one scene to the next, and I'm not talking about the obviously intentional characterization changes one puts into a novel.
I'm talking about the aw-shucks Beaver Cleaver guy we see at the beginning, compared to the battle-hardened investigative journalist we see in the very next scene.

The book would have been pretty damn good oth
Christina
This book was hard to read. It is about online predators and Lainey falls victim. The descriptions of characters, events and bodies in story are unnerving.

Lainey is an overlooked 13 year old girl her mother and step-father are too busy to be too involved with her. She is a middle child. The family relocated and she is at a new school. She becomes friends with a boy online and thing begin to go down hill. She is Abducted and she is alone. Her disappearance does not get reported for 2 days. Many
Pat
German Audiobuch "Mädchenfänger". This was a fast "listen". A pervert is stalking young girls online and lures them on a "date", after which they disappear. Thirteen-year-old Lainey Emerson is the middle child in a home police are already familiar with: her mom works too much and her stepfather favors his own blood over another man’s problems—namely Lainey and her wild older sister. When Lainey fails to come home from a night out with friends, her disappearance is dismissed by the Coral Springs ...more
John
If you've ever watched TV shows like CRIMINAL MINDS or WITHOUT A TRACE, you'll know exactly what to expect from PRETTY LITTLE THINGS. In terms of story, it brings nothing new to the table.
And yet, this novel is actually quite gripping. Clearly, author Jilliane Hoffman gave this book her all, and her passion for this story is infectious. Hoffman's legal background goes a long way toward making the law enforcement elements seem authentic, and she writes her characters in a manner that is remarkabl
Radhika
Thirteen year old Lainey disappears and is not reported about for 2 days. She comes from a dysfunctional family where she feels ignored and is truly looking for some belonging. When the police is involved Detective Bobby Dees who has a nightmare of his own to deal with of a similar kind,his daughter who was involved with a drug junkie runs away from home and is never found. He gets involved in the case as he understands the pain of the parents.

It gets pretty scary after that when they realise t
Katja
Bob Dees ist Ermittler im Dezenat für vermisste Kinder, aber auch ein Vater, der nach seiner Tochter Katy sucht, die zu Beginn des Geschehens schon ein Jahr lang verschwunden ist. Zwar hat man nach ihr gesucht, aber sie blieb unauffindbar, so wie tausende andere Mädchen, die in den Akten des Dezernates stehen. Dann verschwinde Lainey, die sich mit einem Jungen aus dem Internet verabedet hatte, spurlos und die Ermittlungen beginnen...

Besonders gut finde die Aktualität des Buches, weil Sexualstra
Amy
Thirteen-year-old Lainey might as well be invisible in her own home and new school. Then she meets a boy online, or so she thinks. After their first "date", she disappears. Everyone assumes she's a runaway, but Florida Agent Bobby Dees isn't so sure. And his own teenage daughter went missing years before and has never been found.
The first chapters of PRETTY LITTLE THINGS reads like a ya novel, complete with text message speak. While I liked and empathized with Lainey, I never felt scared for her
Rhonda
" Lainey Emerson thought she'd met the perfect guy. With no worries other than whether he'll like her in person, and whether he'll catch on that she's only 13, she sets off to meet Zach, a blond senior from a local high school. What she gets instead is everyone's worst nightmare. Two days after Lainey disappears, Bobby Dees, an officer with the Crimes Against Children Squad is called in to investigate. Though all signs seem to point to a runaway, Dees suspects the case may be more complicated.

D
Krista
I have wanted to read Pretty Little Things for awhile now so tonight I began to read it.Took me 3 hours.

Pretty Little Things is definetely a serious book. Jilliane Hoffman discusses issues that happen everyday involving Teenagers and how social media like Myspace, Facebook, Yahoo and every other social interaction site and how teenage girls and boys fall victims to rapists, pedophiles and predators.

This was hard read because of the issues I have discussed above and the sick and twisted mind of t
εlﻨբ ツ
Kayıp kızları arayan bir ekip var. ekibin başı Bobby namı diğer Shep:) internette dolaşıp küçük kızları kandırarak tutsak eden bir sapığın peşine düşüyor.kızının da arananlar listesinde olması Bobby`e zor anlar yaşatıyor.. Mutlu sonla bitmesine sevindim;)
Jeri
This was a good book. The subject matter is not easy to read about, but I knew that from the start. I did figure out who the bad guy was after about 100 pages and he was really bad!!!! I think this is worth 4 stars or 3 3/4 maybe.
Hazel
Rayne
I enjoyed this. I cared about the characters, and found it intriguing to learn about how predators target their teen victims on the internet. It feels authentic and well researched.
Sam
A well thought out true and thought-provoking novel about the dangers of the internet and the creeps that lurk below the surface. Before she disappeared on Friday evening, 13 year old Lainey had been communicating with a hot guy from the local high school. Of course everything is not what it seems when she goes to meet him without telling a soul. Bobby Dees races against the clock to find the missing girl who many have pegged as a runaway. Bobby is also struggling with the disappearance of his o ...more
Tasha
I absolutely loved this book, so much that I even based a College project on it and created a Trailer to advertise the book! It pulls on the heart strings, teaches people about online dating and includes some mystery throughout! I tell my friends to always read this book, I'm a romance reader usually but this book had me drawn to it instantly.
I have it on my Kindle, the Kindle reading app, the hard cover copy and the normal copy so that wherever I go I have something fantastic to read.

I'm not e
Catherine Brando
I gave this novel five stars because of the reality check it gives readers when it comes to cops agents working cases. The agonizing waiting game and searching for clues out of nowhere. It wasn't the average game of cat and mouse and I found it very entertaining. I encourage those who love Law & Order SVU to read this book because it gives the reader a different perspective. While the detectives in those shows have a clues handed to them, Agent Dees isn't so lucky and to see him thought proc ...more
  • Der Augensammler
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barret, #3)
  • The Surrogate (Brennan & Esposito, #1)
  • The Cheating Curve
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • The Burying Place (Jonathan Stride, #5)
  • The Death Sculptor (Robert Hunter, #4)
  • Die Puppenmacherin
  • The Night Stalker (Robert Hunter, #3)
  • Der Federmann
  • The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • October Skies
  • The Lonely Mile
  • The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1)
  • Robin and Ruby
  • In the Shadow of the Cypress
  • Der Kindersammler
  • Without Consent
Jilliane P. Hoffman began her professional career as an Assistant State Attorney prosecuting felonies in Florida from 1992 to 1996 with special assignments to the Domestic Violence and the Legal Extradition Units. Originally from Long Island, she currently lives in South Florida with her husband and two children.
More about Jilliane Hoffman...
Retribution (C.J. Townsend #1) Last Witness (C.J. Townsend #2) Plea of Insanity The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend #3) Jilliane Hoffman, Omnibus