Start by marking “Pretty Little Things” as Want to Read:
Pretty Little Things

Pretty Little Things

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,427 Ratings  ·  353 Reviews
Thirteen-year-old Lainey Emerson is the middle child in a home police are already familiar with: her mother works too much and her stepfather favors his own blood over another man’s problems—namely Lainey and her wild older sister, Liza. So when Lainey does not come home from a Friday night out with her friends, it is dismissed by the Coral Springs P.D. as just another dis ...more
Published September 7th 2010 by Vanguard Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Little Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Little Things

Table 21 by T. Rafael CiminoUnearthly by Cynthia Hand90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussDeath Drop by Sean Allen
Great Reads Of 2011 So Far
82nd out of 116 books — 76 voters
Tagged by Joseph M. ChironCinder by Marissa MeyerDwellers of Ahwahnee by Sheryl SealMay Day by Thom  StarkWood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   Rose
Why Aren't These a Movie Yet?!
301st out of 339 books — 238 voters

More lists with this book...

William Bentrim
Sep 18, 2010 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing
Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman

This book is not for the faint of heart. It deals with disposable children. Children who have been abandon by society or have abandoned society. Kids who have run away or have been snatched from all walks of life. Internet predators are specifically addressed and this is the story of Special Agent Bobby Dees and his efforts to save these children.

This was an excellent mystery. It was still hard to read. The predator was despicable and wholly frightening. W
Maxine  (Booklover Catlady)
Wow! It's 2am and I've read this book pretty much non stop over a 6 hour period, could not put it down...excellent plot, characters, and I did not see the ending coming at all.

I was expecting this book to be more gruesome and graphic in describing the killers methodologies but I read a lot of crime and this is not really a descriptively gory book in comparison to others. It's not sweetness and light don't get me wrong, it's a dark twisted sick serial killer that plays a pivotal role in this book
Lauren
Mar 09, 2014 Lauren rated it it was ok
A gripping (and horrifying) story that grabbed my attention at the beginning, but the ending was awful. Unexpected, yes, but also highly unlikely and surrounded by a clumsy set of bizarre coincidences that made even less sense the more I thought about them.
Karschtl
Ein sehr gutes Buch, das ich innerhalb von 2 Tagen verschlungen hatte und bei dem man am Ende eigentlich gern wieder von Neuem anfangen möchte um zu schauen, ob man eingangs nicht ein paar Hinweise auf den Mörder übersehen hatte. Denn mit diesem Ende hätte ich nicht wirklich gerechnet und frage mich immer noch, wie er das so alles bewerkstelligt hat.

Zur Ausgangslage: über's Internet macht der "Mädchenfänger" (der von der Polizei allerdings "Picasso" genannt wird; wieder mal so ein Fall wo man si
Helen Deakin
Nov 03, 2015 Helen Deakin rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book! Had me hooked in right from the start, well written and kept me guessing. Didn't pick the ending, that's for sure, and I loved every bit of it. Just added Jilliane Hoffman to my mental list of books to look out for.
Julie
Jan 11, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman is a 2014 Thomas & Mercer publication.

I have always enjoyed novels by Jilliane Hoffman and this one was no exception. A gritty and heart wrenching suspense thriller that left me in white knuckled suspense and a feeling of pain for victims of these crimes and their families, but also a feeling of hope.

When thirteen year old Lainey disappears it's not just a job for Bobby Dees and the Crimes Against Children Squad. For Bobby each of these crimes is per
Lynda Kelly
Apr 07, 2013 Lynda Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
I really struggled with this book and almost packed it in a few times. The last was at around 58% and by then I needed to persist as I'd invested too much time on it.
There were way too many mistakes, some very basic indeed such as curser being used for cursor and concealor for concealer. Capital letters were missed at the start of sentences. There was a passage that made no sense whatsoever too-"just like the in the Bible".......
It was written as a teenager in places and that got very tiresome i
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 Best Crime Books & More rated it it was amazing
Jilliane Hoffman was introduced to me originally by a friend and I read her first novel Retribution (2005) which I adored. However her next book didn't come out until a year later (Last Witness - 2006) and another two years go by before another book gets released (Plea of Insanity - 2008) and after that I forgot about her because it is so unpredictable with the timings of her books. Therefore I couldn't wait to get my grubby little paws on her latest thriller.

Pretty Little Things tells the story
Kelly
Dec 26, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, mystery
Little Butterfly
Mar 13, 2016 Little Butterfly rated it liked it
It's a very tough read, not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. The dangers of the internet are much more real than we want to believe. You can never really be sure who you are chatting with and this book shows the shocking consequences of it.
A good book overall with a very credible and likeable cop. Some things did not add up though or were never explained. The twist at the end was not believable to me.
Nicolle
Dec 28, 2010 Nicolle rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read of Jilliane Hoffman. She had me at the first sentence, I could not put this book down. The plot of the story is a real-life issue of internet predators. Through this book and its characters I realized how naive I am to on-line chats and techy stuff kids are into. As a parent, my eyes are now WIDE OPEN!

As a reader, I felt the emotion Hoffman was describing of her characters. At times it made me sick to my stomach and scared. A writer who can reach through the pages
Angela
May 18, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! This book was very disturbing and scary and made me glad I am not a parent. There is a serial killer in Miami and his victims are assumed runaways who no one looks for very hard once the disappear. I have not read Jilliane Hoffman before but I will be reading her from now on as this book was very good and hard to put down. She is going on my favorite authors list.
Jolene
May 01, 2014 Jolene rated it really liked it
I love finding new places to get books! And the Dollar Tree might be my favorite! Sure, most of the selection is lame. A lot of political books, children's books and cheesy romance novels. But on occasion I find one that looks interesting enough to throw down the $1.08. And even if it doesn't turn out to be a book I love, I can pass it on and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Have I mentioned how cheap I am? So here we go!

Within the first few pages I wasn't feeling great about this book. Maybe
Deanna
Mar 06, 2015 Deanna rated it really liked it
Just finished this book this morning. Only took a day or so to read. Was an emotional and sometimes upsetting book but captivating and easy to follow. This is the first book I've read by Jilliane Hoffman but I will look at reading others.
Tammy Reyes
Sep 05, 2015 Tammy Reyes rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I need a shelf for sadistic serial killers. For now I am just filing them under thrillers. I enjoyed this book but then I am a fan of police procedural crime novels. So no shocker there.
Oct 08, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Pretty Little Things is a horrifically scary book for any parent of girls. The use of the internet (Myspace in this instance) to lure young teens into meeting. Abducting them. Holding them hostage. Killing them in brutal ways. All while the parents believe the kids have run away. We hear about stuff like this happening on the news. To someone else. It's every parents fear, but still most of us never consider it could happen to our family. Pretty Little Things gets to the heart of the matter, how ...more
yexxo
Jul 11, 2010 yexxo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Obwohl nicht spektakulär (keine Toten, Folterszenen oder ähnliches) ist der Auftakt des neuen Buches von Jiliane Hoffman gelungen: Ein Psychopath beobachtet die 13jährige Lainey und tritt über ein Pseudonym mittels Internet mit ihr in Kontakt. Ein heißer Flirt entfaltet sich, ein Treffen bahnt sich an - und die Lesenden zittern mit, weil sie ahnen was geschehen wird. Doch das war's dann für die nächsten 100 Seiten mit der Spannung. Ausführlich wird die Suche nach der verschwunden Lainey beschrie ...more
Darcy
Jun 17, 2011 Darcy rated it liked it
This is a hard book to read due to the subject manner, kidnapped kids, and a hard book to review without spoiling one little fact, which I will do later.

Bobby seems like a dedicated professional working in a field that rarely has happy endings. Bobby works in a specialized department that tracks missing kids. It is a thankless job, where often you find bodies, but Bobby is so good he has earned the nickname "The Shepherd" because he often finds even those lost cases. It is really hard not to lik
Hazel
Jun 12, 2014 Hazel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Shannon
Mar 31, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Bobby Dees, an investigator who heads up the Crimes Against Children squad in Miami, is called in to investigate a possible endangered runaway. Lainey Emerson is missing. She's the thirteen year old middle child of a family who has had their share of run-ins with the police already. Her older sister has a history of running away and she's also had problems with substance abuse. Her mother works too much and her step-father favors his own child over another man's problem, Lainey and her si
Themistokeles
Das Buch greift eindeutig ein Thema auf, dass in der heutigen Zeit wohl nie an Aktualität verlieren wird, das Kennenlernen von Menschen über das Internet, in dem man wunderbar betrügen und lügen kann, denn wer weiß schon wirklich, was für ein Mensch sich auf der anderen Seite des Bildschirms befindet und die Gefahr dabei für junge Menschen, die in ihrer Naivität oft davon ausgehen, dass die Leute, die sie im Netz kennenlernen echt sind, keine Lügengebilde sein können und die dann in ihrer Naivit ...more
SiredHybridxx
Feb 19, 2015 SiredHybridxx rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
I won't give you a re-count of the entire book, 'cause that is the purpose of the blurb and I find it quite useless. Therefore, I'll just give my opinion on the book:

This book was very gripping and a very enjoyable read enabling me to complete this book within a few days. The mysteries of this book hooked me until the end, and I can see where the author has drawn her inspiration from. It has led to the creation of a fantastically sculptured and written story facing the darkness and current dange
Alex Mazzeo
Jan 02, 2015 Alex Mazzeo rated it it was amazing
Wow. Holy crap. I can't remember the last time a book had me at the edge of my seat like this before - the whole book took me only a little more than half a day to read, and I usually spend weeks on a book.

Pretty Little Things starts off by focusing on Lainey Emerson, a seventh grader living in Coral Springs (the city where I actually happened to grow up in - the middle school she 'went to' was an actual school I'd been in; freaky) who leads a pretty quiet existence. Like most teenagers, she's c
Shane Lusher
Oct 05, 2014 Shane Lusher rated it liked it
I struggled with a two or three rating, but finally left it at three. It really could have been a four if it hadn't been for the reporter, who changes personalities from one scene to the next, and I'm not talking about the obviously intentional characterization changes one puts into a novel.
I'm talking about the aw-shucks Beaver Cleaver guy we see at the beginning, compared to the battle-hardened investigative journalist we see in the very next scene.

The book would have been pretty damn good oth
Christina
Aug 26, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it
This book was hard to read. It is about online predators and Lainey falls victim. The descriptions of characters, events and bodies in story are unnerving.

Lainey is an overlooked 13 year old girl her mother and step-father are too busy to be too involved with her. She is a middle child. The family relocated and she is at a new school. She becomes friends with a boy online and thing begin to go down hill. She is Abducted and she is alone. Her disappearance does not get reported for 2 days. Many
Angela
May 06, 2015 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Pretty Little Things is definitely not for the faint of heart. The reason I'm giving this one five stars is because I got completely hooked on the story. The "stay up all night and only get 3 hours of sleep" kind of hooked. I really need to read some books that aren't that interesting, I've been getting way too little sleep the past week.
The big twist in all of this wasn't totally obvious. There was a tiny foreshadowing of it that got me momentarily confused because I wrote it off on a lack of c
Pat
Feb 08, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it
German Audiobuch "Mädchenfänger". This was a fast "listen". A pervert is stalking young girls online and lures them on a "date", after which they disappear. Thirteen-year-old Lainey Emerson is the middle child in a home police are already familiar with: her mom works too much and her stepfather favors his own blood over another man’s problems—namely Lainey and her wild older sister. When Lainey fails to come home from a night out with friends, her disappearance is dismissed by the Coral Springs ...more
Joi
Jul 21, 2015 Joi rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book but I feel like it was a little overkill. I understand trying to make it a serial killer, but I think that it could have been done differently. I got tired of reading the same thing every 50 pages. I enjoyed the characters and the plot. The ending was terrific once I finally got to it...I did not guess the killer at all. I like Jilliane Hoffman as an author and can't wait to read more of her work.
Sharon
Jun 20, 2015 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Third Jilliane Hoffman book I've read in a fortnight. After reading the first 2 books in the C.J.Townsend series, I couldn't decide whether to continue so thought I'd read one of her stand alone novels instead.

There's nothing wrong with her books, it's just they are pretty much run of the mill crime thrillers so there are no great surprises in them, and they tend to get bogged down with too many acronyms and product names which becomes really annoying.

The positive thing I must say though, is f
Ema Mesek:)
May 16, 2015 Ema Mesek:) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, favorites
  • Der Augenjäger
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barret, #3)
  • The Surrogate (Brennan & Esposito, #1)
  • Der Federmann
  • The Hijack (Stratton, #2)
  • Robin and Ruby
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Without Prejudice
  • Der Kindersammler
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Der Sarg
  • Flirting with Temptation
  • Amigoland
  • In the Shadow of the Cypress
  • Written in Time
  • Without Consent
Jilliane P. Hoffman began her professional career as an Assistant State Attorney prosecuting felonies in Florida from 1992 to 1996 with special assignments to the Domestic Violence and the Legal Extradition Units. Originally from Long Island, she currently lives in South Florida with her husband and two children.
More about Jilliane Hoffman...

“as a picture. An ugly, horrible picture. He grabbed his car keys off” 0 likes