The Sorcerer of Sainte Felice

The Sorcerer of Sainte Felice

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In 15th-century France, 14-year-old Michael de Lorraine is saved from execution by Abbot Francis and granted refuge at the Benedictine monastery of Sainte Felice, where he tries to use his powers to save his new friends and mentors from the Inquisition.
Published June 8th 2010 by Flux

Donna
I gave this book until its halfway point before I decided to put it down. I figured if nothing nominally interesting had happened by that point, chances are not much else was going to happen after it and if it did, I probably wouldn't care.

The beginning started off strong enough. It intros right into Michael being lit on fire on a stake and then gets rescued by the Abbot. I zoomed through the chapter, holding my breath, wondering if he'd make it out okay (obviously it's the first chapter and he'...more
Kristen
Why I read this: The novel is a bit different from what I had been reading lately - 1500s, monks, and magic. Also, it is a debut novel and I just love reading new authors.

Plot: When Michael is saved from being burned at the stake, he must decide whether or not he wishes to join in the service of God. Abbot Francis and the brothers are part of an abnormal abbey - where sorcery is taught and used with good intention to help the people. Michael must make a choice on whether he wishes to use sorcery...more
Steve Cran
Michael is about to be burned at the stake in Orleans, France for the crime of sorcery. As the flames are about to engulf him along comes Abbot Francis Duchain to the rescue. Whispering a prayer to the archangel Gabriel, he proceed to call a halt to the execution. A rain storm conveniently arrives to make matters easier.

After being rescued Michael is taken to the Monastery where for or five other monks of the Benedictine order are housed. The monastery is famous for it's wine. Wine steeped in he...more
Deborah
Mar 05, 2011 Deborah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Valerie
Michael is sentenced to burn at the stake for being a sorcerer's apprentice, despite the fact that he himself never practiced sorcery. In comes Abbott Francis who Michael is convinced made the storm come that dowsed the flames allowing the Abbott to save Michael and take him to his monastery in the village of Sainte Felice. Only five other monks live at the monastery and each one seems to be involved in something magic.

This historical fantasy is set in Medieval France where religion rules and e...more
Ji Mei ^_^
I thought this book was pretty good. Though this book doesn't have action or suspense I still couldn't put it down! It's set during the time of the Holy Roman Empire, which I find that odd, because I was learning about the Holy Roman Empire in history at that time. Anyways, Michael I think is relatable and his doubts and leaps of faith can happen to anyone. When I was reading this book, I thought "Oh, now it's happily ever after" but then, all of a sudden, something else occurs. After that thing...more
Gwyn Ryan
Michael de Lorraine is to be burned at the stake as a sorcerer when he is saved by a strange monk and a conveniently timed rainstorm. Abbot Francis takes Michael back to his abbey in Sainte Felice where Michael discovers that all the monks there are sorcerers, hiding in plain sight under the nose of the Inquisition. But Abbot Francis has made some powerful enemies -- will their luck hold out, or will the Holy Office discover their secret? I really liked this one - it reminded me of Judith Tarr's...more
Katie
Shauna
Nov 29, 2010 Shauna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teens who like historical fiction and fantasy
The book starts with the hero about to be burned at the stake, and throughout the book I continued to want to see what happened next. The plot is simple (I rarely read YA, so perhaps that is usual), but the pacing is excellent. Although the hero, 15-year-old Michael, has a satisfying growth arc, the character that intrigued me the most was Abbot Francis. An enjoyable read.
Patricia
Historical fiction set in France, mostly about the Inquisition and the battle between Church and State, with some mysticism mixed in- it is called sorcery in this book, but it is also about Christianity. An interesting read if you like historical fiction from this time period- 15th century France.
Neema
Aug 26, 2012 Neema marked it as to-read
Shelves: unfinished
Didn't finish this one, got kinda bored near the end and after renewing twice I returned it. Might borrow again to finish at some point - the beginning and middle were very interesting and then I couldn't figure where the author was going and lost interest...so many books, so little time
A.J.
2.5ish. Fascinating concept, but executed oddly with pacing issues and a narrator that I just couldn't bring myself to care about. Will try to formulate a more coherent review later.
Jan
This is a fine book, with a story and characters which held my interest. Main character is 15, aimed, I think at teens
April
For fantasy fans who also like historical fiction.
Cicely
I love stories mixing history with bit of magic!
Penny
DNF. It was so boring.
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Stefan Jung
Stefan Jung marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
William F Sullivan
William F Sullivan marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Mary Hyson
Mary Hyson marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Line
Line marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Christian Bonnici
Christian Bonnici marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2013
Vilde (vforvilde)
Vilde (vforvilde) marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2013
Noreen
Noreen added it
Apr 20, 2013
Paris
Paris marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ever since escaping from a convent school at fifteen, Ann Finnin's life has been a continuous journey into magic. A Celtic harpist, Renaissance festival enthusiast, and lay historian, Finnin works as a freelance technical writer in the Healthcare industry. She and her husband live outside Los Angeles with their black Lab, Hunter.
More about Ann Finnin...
The Forge of Tubal Cain The Crooked Path Journal Issue 1 The Crooked Path Journal: Issue 7