Start by marking “All's Fair in Love and Advertising” as Want to Read:
All's Fair in Love and Advertising

All's Fair in Love and Advertising

The life of a creative genius isn't all it's cracked up to be, not when said genius is Max Tomlin, hotshot creative director of his own New York ad agency and slightly neurotic headcase. Still reeling after a painful divorce, he's been taking a walk on the gay side, but that hasn't gone much better. At least his agency is in the running for a new account-even if the prospe ...more
Published December 2nd 2009 by Dreamspinner Press (first published 2009)

Vio
Aug 18, 2012 Vio rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vio by: Simsala
Max cracked me up, I am positive he was high from all the caffeine he kept gulping down, the neurotic oddball never stopped, my head was in overdrive trying to keep up with him. Joe fits in perfectly, shakes Max up, who is a *tiny* bit more settled and willing to let himself have a chance at happiness. Loved it, totally made my day.

“There’s thinking, and then there’s overthinking. And then there’s being an insane, delusional, over-caffeinated dictator!” That sums up Max perfectly lol!
Ami
Aug 23, 2012 Ami rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ami by: Vio
What a DELIGHTFUL story!!

I think there are already a lot of reviews praising this story. So I am just going to keep this short.

Reading over-caffeinated, narcissistic, advertising genius, arrogant, Max and his journey of falling for the more laidback Joe is a high class entertainment. And since none of Max's colleagues or his therapist or his ex-wife are even 'scared' of his tantrum, it makes it even more fun!

Thank you, Vio, for bringing this old release back on my radar.
Susan
Aug 22, 2012 Susan rated it liked it

The first thing I thought while reading this book was “this author has definitely worked in Advertising and definitely lived in NY”. Having worked in Advertising for a long time, I usually shy away from books about the industry because…well…they’re typically wrong when it comes to the details. Lenore Black, however, has got her facts, her descriptions, and her story all right, authentic even in the NY parts. And that made it fun to read.

The second thing I thought while reading this book
JenMcJ
Dec 04, 2009 JenMcJ rated it it was amazing
Wow! Max is a total asshole but I LOVE him so far. This is making me laugh often with all the snarky observations and Max's inner bitchy dialogue.

I don't know why but Max's antics completely tickled my humor bone. I laughed really hard reading this book. Fair warning though I can see some readers never warming up to Max, in which case, it will be a struggle to get through this one. If you don't see the potential in Max as a heroic figure or any of the humor in the excerpt, you may not ever do s
Heller
Aug 19, 2012 Heller rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
I love "Mad Men" and Don Draper is one my most favorite of television characters. Reading this was like watching "Mad Men" in fast forward. I loved it.

How could I not get a kick out of Max. Neurotic, sweet, sarcastic and just all around awesome. He's an advertising genius and he knows it, he just likes for people to remind him and themselves of that as often as possible.

He meets a prospective client and it's lust at first sight. I adored the Max and Joe dynamic, so much chemistry there. I like
Heather C
Mar 21, 2011 Heather C rated it really liked it
Recommended to Heather C by: Virginia
This was such a fun read. How could anyone not love Max? He was totally Type A with a side of neurosis. Add in a coffee addiction and an overdose of uncontrollable horniness...and you get Max. The newly turned gay, ad executive who just can't stay out of Joe's bed...who happens to be major potential client. There's also lots of humor and horizontal aerobics.
"You promised to fuck me. You have a contractual obligation." ~ Max to Joe

Td
Dec 14, 2011 Td rated it really liked it
I did not drink coffee at all while reading this book. Neurotic, arrogant, egotistical, frantic, creative genius Max was over-caffeinated enough for both us. I LOVED HIM! Max and Joe together were icing on the cake. I had too much fun with this book and it totally made my day.
Punk
Dec 02, 2009 Punk rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, romance, ebook
M/M Romance. Newly gay Max Tomlin is a genius when it comes to advertising, but not so good when it comes to people. Joe Bennett is hot, easy-going, and, inexplicably, seems to like Max, but his aeronautics company is in danger of a corporate takeover. Can Max save Joe's company? More importantly, can Max keep his pants on in the face of Joe's super hotness?

This is a slash rom-com, basically. The writing is fun, the romance is sweet, and the sex is hot. There's no forced misunderstanding in thi
Candice
Dec 13, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This was just a fun story. Max is very likeable even though he comes across at first as an arrogant person, but at the same time very insecure and out of his element with Joe. His interaction and banter with the people he works with was great. There are parts of the book that were a little unrealistic, the whole became gay after his divorce and hooking up with Joe immediately, but it really didn't take away from the book for me because I liked Max. All in all a good story for me.
Elspeth
Dec 05, 2014 Elspeth rated it did not like it
Shelves: mmr, ebook, twenty-forteen
The main character grated on my nerves and I predicted the ending right away.
Trisha Harrington
This was a fun and easy read. I was expecting it from the blurb alone, but the humor in this was some of the easiest I have ever read. It didn't feel forced like other humor books I have read. I wanted this book to keep going and it was sad when it finally ended.

Max and Joe were hot together, but it was the funny scenes and banter between them that kept me interested. It's refreshing to read a book that keeps me laughing and allows me to read it without the hassle of angst around the corner. All
Natalie
Aug 29, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
A light, fun read that made me smirk a few times. I loved the nod to Mad Men. Max is like a gay, manic Don Draper. Where this story fell short, I think, was in the characterization. I couldn't picture Max in my head, which was a problem. I'm not the kind of reader that needs a complete physical description, but some clues might have helped. I also couldn't see why Joe thought Max's personality was charming. We are shown that Max is abrasive, flippant, difficult, and stalkerish. All of which I co ...more
Hannah
3.5 stars.

Max is such an absurd, neurotic, lovable character. He is the whole reason to read this book. Max's struggle with his anxieties is at least as important to the plot as his budding romance with the worthy-but-slightly-boring Joe. Joe definitely needed more characters development; he is the weak link in a story full of quirky, colorful characters. I wish Max's coworkers were fleshed out a bit more as well, since they are almost as funny as Max is. Nitpicks aside, though, this is a very e
Lily
Nov 24, 2009 Lily rated it it was amazing
This well written story is filled with humor, quirky and interesting characters and has a plot that is simple yet has a nice twist towards the end. This is the first story I've read by this author but it won't be my last, I definitely recommend it.

My complete review is posted at Rainbow Reviews
Chris
Jan 23, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2010, owned, ebook
I really enjoyed this m/m romance about a hyper advertising exec who knows better than to get involved with a prospective client… usually.
Kassa
Dec 04, 2009 Kassa rated it it was ok
This is an easy, fast read that is predictable and kind of trite. There are very classic romance elements to the story that reminded me of formulaic romances and although I understood what the story was attempting to achieve, it didn’t quite accomplish its goal. However those readers who adore the semi-perfect but incredibly neurotic “genius” archetype may indulge in this offering. I unfortunately wouldn’t recommend this offering but reader taste differs.

Beautiful, intelligent, and successful M
Tiya Rosa
I'd give up my first born for an epilogue.

This brilliant, just-discovered piece of awesome written by my new favorite m-m author, Lenore "I'm glad I read that anthology and discovered your panty-soaking genius" Black is about a legendary ad exec, Max Tomlin, and his romance with himself and a self-made businessman hottie, Joe Bennett. I don't know what's up but I'm just glad to have found some of the most adorable assholes in man-love romances the past couple of weeks. Max Tomlin is such asshole
V
Apr 07, 2013 V rated it really liked it
If you want to read about the most adorable neurotic character this is the one for you.
I really like this story, however, If it wasn't for the parts that keep me laughing out loud I would have stopped reading it, because advertising is such a boring theme for a romance story.
I didn't look at this story too seriously, Otherwise I would have hated Max, because he was just so Neurotic, Lunatic, discourteous, rude, paranoid ...the list goes on and on, but, you can't stop liking him.
For me this is a
Shannon
May 06, 2012 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook-lendable
Really well written book with more "real" feel to the couple. No insta love or sappy crap, just a good old fashioned beginning. The sex scenes were very nice and not over the top nasty or kinky. All in all a really good short read. Loved Max!!
Edina Rose
Jan 28, 2011 Edina Rose rated it it was amazing
Really funny. I laughed so much! Max is an amazing character, and quite the hilarious type. I liked how he decided to be gay after the trauma of his divorce to a beautiful heartless woman he had loved too much. I think it was his way of having the final word! Cool, cool, really entertaining.
Alice
Jul 18, 2013 Alice rated it really liked it
4.5/5

Max you were interesting to read about, but I would never ever want to meet you in person.
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
The most adorable spastic character ever.
LauraZu
Apr 21, 2014 LauraZu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
GOLD! PURE GOLD!

Max Tomlin, creative genius director of his own NYC advertisement agency, sexy as hell man! After his divorce he decided he was gay and walked into the other side, but that hasn't gone that better much better for him. But at least he's about to win a new account, even if his new prospective client is apparently a red-neck from Montana. But all his prejudices fall when he meets Joe Bennett.

Joe Bennett, he's an aviation innovator and now successful businessman. He's extremely hot,
Virginia
Sep 11, 2011 Virginia rated it really liked it
Recommended to Virginia by: Vio
This was a cute and funny read that had languished forgotten in my overgrown TBR pile. Max is a hyperactive, talented, controlling, creative type who falls hard and quick for Joe. Joe is a businessman who has a calming influence on Max but equal to him in intelligence to keep Max interested. Joe also doesn't get upset with Max's sometimes rude attitude and balances him. Max couldn't push away his attraction to Joe and found himself doing things he definitely wouldn't normally do. The love scenes ...more
Lacey
Oct 07, 2010 Lacey rated it it was amazing

I've got to say that in the beginning of the book I wasn't too sure I would like Max. However, his snarky attitude was hilarious, and I ended up loving him! The only thing got on my nerves was Max's repeated musings about "going gay" or "deciding to be gay" after his divorce, as if he just decided to give up on women. Now, this isn't a gfy or anything; Max actually has dated other guys before Joe. But we never see Max realizing that he was always bisexual or whatever; instead, his inter
Alec
Nov 16, 2011 Alec rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, laughs
Max was a refreshingly queer character full of what I now know is snark and all the supporting characters were vividly done. I laughed out loud a lot reading this one and honestly didn't see the twist at the end coming but was glad it happened since it made the story so much more real. Highly recommended.
Arzu
Aug 04, 2010 Arzu rated it really liked it
Recommended to Arzu by: Angela
Actually a 3,5 read, but I'll rate it 4 stars as it is such a funny read. I loved Max with his über ego but also his little flaws and insecurities that made me laugh and scream at times (i'm thinking about his jealousy act ... hilarious)!!
An easy funny read without too much emotional drama.
Nadine
Nov 13, 2012 Nadine rated it really liked it
Max is the type of person who you would probably want to punch (repeatedly) in real life but works incredibly well as a fictional character. I mean,how can you not adore him?! *lol*
He totally made this book IMO! I liked Joe and all the other characters just fine but Max stands out :)
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
Update (November 10, 2015):

Just reread this in one go in the middle of the night. Every time I saw this in one of my book apps I remembered how much I loved it, so I finally went for it again. And, I loved it all the way once more. It had me laughing, making cutesy sounds and faces at them, and reminded me of just why I love reading. So good! Read it now!

Original review (July 16, 2014):

This book was such a crack up :D :D :D I adored Max and his neurotic, crazed, egotistical butt.

"'I didn't fail
Josephine Myles
Nov 25, 2010 Josephine Myles rated it it was amazing
I love Lenore Black's writing, so even though the premise of a neurotic advertising genuis finding love with a prospective client didn't exactly thrill me, I wanted to give it a chance. I'm so glad I did - Max is a complete git but I was drawn to him and his vulnerabilities despite, or perhaps because of, the way he acted towards his colleagues.

Lenore paints the world of New York advertising in vivid colours and the characters are hysterical. My only real criticism is that I would have liked to
  • Christmas with Danny Fit
  • Go Fish
  • Life in Fusion (Summit City, #2)
  • When Irish Eyes Are Sparkling (O'Shaughnessys #2)
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
  • A Note in the Margin (A Note in the Margin, #1)
  • The Dickens with Love
  • Freeman
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • Take My Picture
  • Windows in Time
  • Private Dicks (Private Dicks, #1)
  • Fall Into the Sun (Alejo and Bobby, #1)
  • True North (Lost Boys and Love Letters, #1)
  • More Than Chemistry
  • Witness
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • Admit One
“I want to work with words!” That's been Lenore Black's ambition since she learned how to read. After trying out publishing and public relations, she took up a career as an advertising copy writer. Now, she's happy to add "fiction writer" to the resume.

Lenore lives and works in Brooklyn. She wrote her first romance novel in the fifth grade. She published her first story in 2009. What's next for he
More about Lenore Black...

“Oh, God! He’d just gotten an erection in front of his therapist. If he hadn’t been traumatized for life before, he certainly was now.
--Max”
0 likes
“Joe pushed in a little more. It burned, making Max’s eyes water. He started to shake. God, he really couldn’t understand why anyone had ever let him do this to them. Were there really
that many masochists in the world? Joe pulled out and thrust back in shallowly. Max sucked in a breath, ready to yell, “Take it out! Oh my God, are you just a sadistic bastard or what? Take. It. Out!”
--Max”