Start by marking “The Case of the Halloween Ghost” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Halloween Ghost

The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog #9)

It's Halloween night and mysterious things are happening at the ranch. A car drove up to the house with some mighty suspicious looking passengers...and Drover saw the whole thing.
Audio
Published August 1st 2002 by Maverick Books (TX) (first published September 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Halloween Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Halloween Ghost

Heather
Nov 07, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, middle-grade
My 8 year old son is absolutely loving this series! This was a really fun one to read leading up to Halloween. I love the stories too but even more wonderful is watching my son's reactions as we read. Warms a mother's heart! :)
Rachel
Oct 14, 2016 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: worth-owning
Even having read 3 Hank the Cowdog books just today, I still enjoyed this one pretty well (take my word for it when I say that it's a little tiresome to read such concentrated HtCd).
Raine Rucker
Jun 16, 2010 Raine Rucker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It's me again, Hank the Cowdog."

So begins the ninth installment of John R. Erickson's Hank the Cowdog series. And I'd like to note right at the beginning of this review that the series does not have to be read in order -- any and every book in this series is a good stand alone story.

Hank the Cowdog is Head of Ranch Security in ranch in Texas. As the Head of Ranch Security he ensures the safety of the ranch and deals with any trespassers, whether they be human, animal, or ghost. Except, he doesn
Laura Verret
Pete the cat is makin’ all sorts of insenuaytions, innsenuashuns, innsenyooashuns, hints that tonight’s a queer night. In fact, he’s said that Halloween is comin’ and that ghosts and goblins will start poppin’ up out of the ground. But Hank and Drover are too busy helping Slim Chance prepare for his petunia, Miss Viola, who is comin’ over for dinner tonight. At least, they thought they were too busy, but there’s no tellin’ a ghost you’re too busy for him…

Visit The Blithering Bookster to read the
Lisa Delaine Youngblood
This audiobook, like all the others in the Hank the Cowdog series, is hilarious. Hank believes that he is the head of security at a ranch. He misinterprets his surroundings into a delightful adventure full of humor, mystery, and fun. Of course the mystery is only for Hank since readers and listeners easily determine what is really going on. This is one of hte few series sucessfully read by the author of the book.
Ripken
Feb 20, 2014 Ripken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was about the Halloween Ghost.

There were three things I liked in this book. I liked when Hank was so scared at the end he flew on Miss Viola's lap. Also Drover thought the kids were saying Tricker Trees when its Trick or Treat. And once Slim opened the door Drover and Hank dashed into the bedroom and went under the covers to go to sleep, well except Drover because he wanted to talk.

At the end Miss Viola, Drover, and Hank believed in the Ghost except Slim.

Loretta
May 02, 2012 Loretta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this and other Hank the cow dog books in grade school and I loved them. They definitely were part of the reason why I enjoyed reading so much then and now. I passed my books onto my 11 year old brother not long ago and he loves them too. I can't believe that there are so many of these books and that the last one was published so recently. Brings back memories! I hope they make these into movies for kids.
Mya.s
Sep 13, 2010 Mya.s rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book because I love halloween and I love scary books and mysteries.I want to remember that he said I hate halloween and ghost can't come in my ranch.When I was little I thought ghost were real.I have a big question why does hank not like halloween.I predict that the ghost will pop out at night and scare them.
Marti
Mar 30, 2012 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-reader
Cute book for elementary-aged kids. My 6 yr loved this, especially the book on CD. Kids will love hearing the story from the dog's perspective. One thing I didn't like is that Hank the Cowdog is kind of rude to his sidekick Drover and at one point even tells him to "shut up," which is a no-no in our house.
Julie
Oct 26, 2008 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th grade boy
Darryl Cole
Jul 11, 2011 Darryl Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read pretty much this entire series years ago after I descovered them in my elementary school libary. The plot, and characters are great. Plus these books are extremly funny. I loved this series then and I still love it.
Marita
Oct 21, 2008 Marita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ya-c
Cute little kids book with funny pictures, told by a dog.
M.ann
Apr 28, 2013 Payton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such scardy cats.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 Sydney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
when Hank and his friend Drover hear about this ghost in the bakery and it haunts it on Halloween Hank and Drover are determined to go there to see if the legend is true.
Clayton Heard
May 30, 2016 Clayton Heard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For anyone thinking of trying the recipe Slim makes....don't. Your stomach won't forgive you, and your child will be complaining about cramps.
Tom
Oct 28, 2009 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We read this one in record time and loved every minute. I think this was one of the best Hank books we've read so far, maybe because we experienced a song by Wallace and Hank wet himself!
Fartash
Fartash rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Mariah
Mariah rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2015
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Gideon
Gideon rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2011
Tiffany Overton
Tiffany Overton rated it really liked it
May 06, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2008
Keira
Keira rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Tanner
Tanner rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2013
Ava
Ava rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Kevin Beevers
Kevin Beevers rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2016
  • Blaze and the Forest Fire: Billy and Blaze Spread the Alarm
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • The Happy Hollisters and the Mystery at Missile Town (Happy Hollisters, #19)
  • The Mitchells: Five for Victory
  • Abraham Lincoln: The Great Emancipator
  • Make Way for Ducklings, One Morning in Maine, Lentil
  • George the Drummer Boy (I Can Read Level 3)
  • What Will the Weather Be?
  • The Camp-Out Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #27)
  • Five Little Peppers at School
  • The Captain's Dog: My Journey with the Lewis and Clark Tribe
  • Columbus
  • Meet Thomas Jefferson
  • The House that Jack Built
  • My Heart Lies South: The Story of My Mexican Marriage
  • Grandmother Elsie (The Original Elsie Classics #8)
  • Sneakiest Uses for Everyday Things
  • The Voyage of Turtle Rex
John R. Erickson, a former cowboy and ranch manager, is gifted with a storyteller's knack for spinning a yarn. Through the eyes of Hank the Cowdog, a smelly, smart-aleck Head of Ranch Security, Erickson gives readers a glimpse of daily life on a ranch in the West Texas Panhandle. This series of books and tapes is in school libraries across the country, has sold more than 7.6 million copies, is a B ...more
More about John R. Erickson...

Hank the Cowdog (1 - 10 of 66 books)
  • The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #2)
  • It's a Dog's Life (Hank the Cowdog, #3)
  • Murder in the Middle Pasture (Hank the Cowdog, #4)
  • Faded Love (Hank the Cowdog, #5)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Hank the Cowdog, #6)
  • The Curse of the Incredible Priceless Corncob (Hank the Cowdog, #7)
  • The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse (Hank the Cowdog, #8)
  • Every Dog Has His Day (Hank the Cowdog, #10)
  • Lost in the Dark Unchanted Forest (Hank the Cowdog, #11)