Start by marking “The Case of the Halloween Ghost” as Want to Read:
The Case of the Halloween Ghost

The Case of the Halloween Ghost (Hank the Cowdog #9)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It's Halloween night and mysterious things are happening at the ranch. A car drove up to the house with some mighty suspicious looking passengers...and Drover saw the whole thing.
Audio Cassette
Published August 1st 2002 by Maverick Books (TX) (first published September 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Case of the Halloween Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Case of the Halloween Ghost

Heather
My 8 year old son is absolutely loving this series! This was a really fun one to read leading up to Halloween. I love the stories too but even more wonderful is watching my son's reactions as we read. Warms a mother's heart! :)
Sarita Rucker
"It's me again, Hank the Cowdog."

So begins the ninth installment of John R. Erickson's Hank the Cowdog series. And I'd like to note right at the beginning of this review that the series does not have to be read in order -- any and every book in this series is a good stand alone story.

Hank the Cowdog is Head of Ranch Security in ranch in Texas. As the Head of Ranch Security he ensures the safety of the ranch and deals with any trespassers, whether they be human, animal, or ghost. Except, he doesn
Ripken
This book was about the Halloween Ghost.

There were three things I liked in this book. I liked when Hank was so scared at the end he flew on Miss Viola's lap. Also Drover thought the kids were saying Tricker Trees when its Trick or Treat. And once Slim opened the door Drover and Hank dashed into the bedroom and went under the covers to go to sleep, well except Drover because he wanted to talk.

At the end Miss Viola, Drover, and Hank believed in the Ghost except Slim.

Pete the cat is makin’ all sorts of insenuaytions, innsenuashuns, innsenyooashuns, hints that tonight’s a queer night. In fact, he’s said that Halloween is comin’ and that ghosts and goblins will start poppin’ up out of the ground. But Hank and Drover are too busy helping Slim Chance prepare for his petunia, Miss Viola, who is comin’ over for dinner tonight. At least, they thought they were too busy, but there’s no tellin’ a ghost you’re too busy for him…

Visit The Blithering Bookster to read the
Jobe
My favorite part of this one: Slim's girlfriend and the Buzzard Love song :-)
Loretta
I remember reading this and other Hank the cow dog books in grade school and I loved them. They definitely were part of the reason why I enjoyed reading so much then and now. I passed my books onto my 11 year old brother not long ago and he loves them too. I can't believe that there are so many of these books and that the last one was published so recently. Brings back memories! I hope they make these into movies for kids.
Lisa Delaine Youngblood
This audiobook, like all the others in the Hank the Cowdog series, is hilarious. Hank believes that he is the head of security at a ranch. He misinterprets his surroundings into a delightful adventure full of humor, mystery, and fun. Of course the mystery is only for Hank since readers and listeners easily determine what is really going on. This is one of hte few series sucessfully read by the author of the book.
Julie
Dec 04, 2008 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th grade boy
Mya.s
I really like this book because I love halloween and I love scary books and mysteries.I want to remember that he said I hate halloween and ghost can't come in my ranch.When I was little I thought ghost were real.I have a big question why does hank not like halloween.I predict that the ghost will pop out at night and scare them.
Marti
Cute book for elementary-aged kids. My 6 yr loved this, especially the book on CD. Kids will love hearing the story from the dog's perspective. One thing I didn't like is that Hank the Cowdog is kind of rude to his sidekick Drover and at one point even tells him to "shut up," which is a no-no in our house.
Darryl Cole
I read pretty much this entire series years ago after I descovered them in my elementary school libary. The plot, and characters are great. Plus these books are extremly funny. I loved this series then and I still love it.
Tom
We read this one in record time and loved every minute. I think this was one of the best Hank books we've read so far, maybe because we experienced a song by Wallace and Hank wet himself!
Sydney
when Hank and his friend Drover hear about this ghost in the bakery and it haunts it on Halloween Hank and Drover are determined to go there to see if the legend is true.
Marita
Cute little kids book with funny pictures, told by a dog.
Clinton Hill
This was actually a good mindless read!
M.ann
Another Great Hank Book
Cws
JM4 Eri
Maya
Maya added it
May 22, 2015
Tobi
Tobi marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
  • Watchdog and the Coyotes
  • The Vacation
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Vol. 5: The Heart of the Cards (Yu-Gi-Oh!, #5)
  • Blaze and the Forest Fire: Billy and Blaze Spread the Alarm
  • The Josefina Story Quilt
  • Rescue Josh Mcguire
  • Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2)
  • The Short-Wave Mystery (Hardy Boys, #24)
  • The Camp-Out Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #27)
  • Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia
  • Loch
  • Fluffy and Baron
  • Abraham Lincoln: The Great Emancipator
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices
  • The Squire and the Scroll: A Tale of the Rewards of a Pure Heart
  • The Haymeadow
  • The Peasant Queen
John R. Erickson, a former cowboy and ranch manager, is gifted with a storyteller's knack for spinning a yarn. Through the eyes of Hank the Cowdog, a smelly, smart-aleck Head of Ranch Security, Erickson gives readers a glimpse of daily life on a ranch in the West Texas Panhandle. This series of books and tapes is in school libraries across the country, has sold more than 7.6 million copies, is a B ...more
More about John R. Erickson...

Hank the Cowdog (1 - 10 of 61 books)
  • The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1)
  • The Further Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #2)
  • It's a Dog's Life (Hank the Cowdog, #3)
  • Murder in the Middle Pasture (Hank the Cowdog, #4)
  • Faded Love (Hank the Cowdog, #5)
  • Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Hank the Cowdog, #6)
  • The Curse of the Incredible Priceless Corncob (Hank the Cowdog, #7)
  • The Case of the One-Eyed Killer Stud Horse (Hank the Cowdog, #8)
  • Every Dog Has His Day (Hank the Cowdog, #10)
  • Lost in the Dark Unchanted Forest (Hank the Cowdog, #11)
The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1) The Further Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog, #2) It's a Dog's Life (Hank the Cowdog, #3) Murder in the Middle Pasture (Hank the Cowdog, #4) Let Sleeping Dogs Lie (Hank the Cowdog, #6)