Start by marking “Lifted” as Want to Read:
Lifted

Lifted

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  268 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
When 15-year-old Poppy Browne moves from Boulder, CO, to Pleasant Acres, TX, with her professor mother, she has to attend Calvary High even though she's not Baptist. She makes friends with the popular girls and has a date for the Sadie Hawkins dance. Poppy gets caught in an ex-BFF rivalry between her friend Mary Jane and another schoolmate, Bridgette. Then she starts shopl ...more
Published June 8th 2010 by Simon Pulse (first published May 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lifted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lifted

Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
94th out of 734 books — 383 voters
Evermore by Alyson NoelNorth of Beautiful by Justina ChenSelina Penaluna by Jan PageThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenThe Dark Divine by Bree Despain
Cover Couples
397th out of 798 books — 592 voters

More lists with this book...

McKenzie
May 11, 2010 McKenzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own
Poppy is forced to move. It might not be so bad except for the fact that she's enrolled in a private Baptist school. Thing is, she isn't religious. Her mother's more worried about Poppy's college application than anything. Poppy is instantly accepted into the popular crowd at Calvary High, and she leaves behind Bridgette, her first-day mentor at Calvary. As Poppy grows closer to Mary Jane and Whitney, she's let in on their dirty secret. They shoplift. Not because they need to, but because they l ...more
Trisha W.
Jul 01, 2010 Trisha W. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read2010
I loved this book. It started off good from page one and it took me no time at all to read. I loved the character of Poppy. She was very laid back and was a very likable character.
I also loved her relationship with David in the book. They both get along so easily and have such a fun relationship.
I really liked the topic of this book as well, shoplifting is a very serious thing and it happens all the time. It isn't something that people think about a lot. I like the way that Wendy deals with th
Katie
Jun 26, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-lit
"Lifted" is Wendy Toliver's best book yet! I loved it! I couldn't put it down once I started reading it. She completely drew me in with the intriguing plot line and the fabulous characters. This is a great teen read.

Poppy Browne is the daughter of a single mother who also is a college professor. She has just moved her and Poppy to Texas from Boulder, Colorado and has enrolled Poppy in a private religious school. Grades are everything to her mother. (I loved this part of the plot. How often do we
Nina
Jan 07, 2011 Nina rated it it was amazing
I started this book thinking that it would be nothing spectacular, it’s not like Poppy has a supernatural power and there are angels involved. After reading it , I’m happy to say it was spectacular in it’s own way.

Poppy is a young girl who is smart, strong- willed and independent. Her popular friends get her into shoplifting and they seem to like it, for now. The thrill, the excitement and afterwards the guilt was extremely well written. I really understood that the girls shoplifted just for the
Briana
Sep 12, 2011 Briana rated it it was amazing
This book had a great way of showing two important lessons: 1) People aren't always as nice or mean as they might seem to be; and 2) Trying something just once, even if on accident, can lead to a spiraling addiction. I absolutely loved this book. Poppy seemed like someone I would get along with great, minus the shop lifting, of course. It just goes to show how easily someone can be influenced by peer pressure when they're trying to fit in in a new place. Watching Poppy get into shoplifting and t ...more
Deborah
May 06, 2011 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Poppy Browne is a quirky, independent 15 year old who finds herself in a private Christian high school in Texas after her mother takes a teaching position that relocates the two from Colorado and Poppy's public high school. Before Poppy has a chance to adjust to her new shiny, happy surroundings, she's befriended by two of the most dazzling and popular girls in school and plunges headfirst into their convoluted world where nothing is as innocent as it seems. As Poppy begins to spin out of contro ...more
nymfaux
Jun 09, 2010 nymfaux rated it it was amazing
From my blog: (\__/)nymfaux

Lifted is a story of Poppy Browne, a teen who moves to a new city/state/school and her journey of getting hooked on shoplifting. Wendy Toliver also does an amazing job of bringing her characters and their relationships to life. At first I didn't want to like Poppy's mom for putting so much pressure on her. I did want to like the nice girl, who tries to befriend Poppy and orient her to the school. I didn't want to like girls who shoplift.

But just like real people, all o
Amber
Jul 14, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Better than I expected it would be. This book is Mean Girls, if Mean Girls could actually happen, set in a podunk Texas town with ordinary teenage girls.

Wendy Toliver, like many other authors, got her start writing Chick Lit for the Simon Pulse Romantic Comedy line. I loved those books as a teen! (Come on, I'm almost twenty, I think I'm no longer a teen). They were like Harlequin, but without the sex. The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren was just one of her contributions, as well as Miss Match. I
Jennifer Wardrip
Sep 15, 2010 Jennifer Wardrip rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

Just before her sophomore year, Poppy Browne is taken from her normal life in Boulder and unwillingly put into a new town, Pleasant Acres. There, Poppy will be attending Calvary High, a Baptist school that has its fair share of sins and secrets.

Right off the bat, Poppy causes quite a stir with her nose piercing and a few snarky comments, which gets her noticed by the popular girls, Whitney and Mary Jane. She's never felt the ne
Mar 04, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Sometimes books are a joy to read, and this is one of those. Why? Probably because the reading level is kinda low, but also because it is really well written. I wasn't stopping my read to laugh about characterization or plot pacing or anything else. I read it for the plot, and there's nothing wrong with a plot-driven novel. Especially when it isn't trying to be anything else.

In my old age, I'd call this a problem novel because Poppy has a problem with shoplifting. She isn't sure why she does it,
Feb 05, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
I actually loved this book, but the ending was awful, and I really expected more. This is about a girl named Poppy, and she moved to Pleasant Acres in Texas with her mom. She is super smart, because her mother always wants her to get good grades. But when she moves there she becomes friends with two popular girls, Mary Jane, and Whitney. They shoplift, and convinced Poppy to join them. Soon, Poppy gets hooked, she doesn't care about the merchandise, she just likes the thrill. She always has the ...more
Windy Aphayrath
Mar 19, 2014 Windy Aphayrath rated it it was amazing
Shelves: windy
Poppy’s the new girl in small town Texas and when she falls in with the “in” crowd, things might just be going right in her social life. Poppy’s new best friends Mary Jane and Whitney are the quintessential southern belles, complete with the “y’alls” and twang of the region.

When Poppy’s best friends decide to introduce her to the means behind their generosity, at first, Poppy’s appalled. But then, the thrill gets to her and she’s constantly craving the next big rush.

A good read overall with grea
Sherrie Petersen
This well written novel tackles a topic not often explored in YA -- shoplifting. I wasn't sure I even wanted to read it, but the characters pulled me into the story. Poppy, the main character, was extremely likable and having grown up going to a Christian high school, I thought Toliver's portrayal of these teens was spot on. The struggle Poppy goes through, promising herself that she'll quit, hating herself for not controlling her compulsion, felt very real.

Unfortunately, the ending wraps up a l
Lisa
Feb 08, 2016 Lisa rated it it was ok
Blah....this one was very uninteresting. It's a young adult book but very predictable. This book had the potential to be better had the characters been developed a bit.
Pixie/PageTurners(Amber) C.
I am a little torn on this book. On one hand, Wendy Toliver was able to capture Poppy's essence and it was easy to picture yourself in her shoes; on the other, I didn't find the ending believable.

Lifted started off slow at first, and I found the stereotyping of Texas a little annoying but it soon picked up and I was interested in seeing where the story would go.

Poppy's sorry starts off on their move to Texas - for some reason, her mom has decided to leave Colorado, and move to Texas. I was neve
Kinsey
Dec 01, 2015 Kinsey rated it liked it
I like't it but it was rushed at the end and i feel it was left off with some questions unanswered
Michelle. D.
Again, I didn't finish the book. Nothing really pushed to finish it though. It just seemed like one of those books that I can't finsih but seem very enticing. The beginning was kinda ehh... And it was, I dunno. I don't know if it's good or if it's bad. I liked that main character though. But again, Converse! And also, the girl on the cover didn't match the girl in the book but, whatever.... That tends to happened but it kinda pisses me off in books. Sigh... So i didn't finish it and yeah. IO hav ...more
Mikayla Lowrey
Jan 10, 2015 Mikayla Lowrey rated it really liked it
Read in like a day! Love it
Jolie Chappie
Aug 19, 2014 Jolie Chappie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
amazing book! i enjoyed reading every sentence of this book
Tara
Feb 15, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone wanting a casual read
Lifter, a good girl, a bad habit. Stealing... too the point of addiction.
I was kind of showen a side to girls with an addiciton to stelling, but I think it could have gone deeper. This book only seemed to skim the top of the emotions and issues. And the ending really disapointed me.
BUT: the actual plot was definatly enjoyable and I did'nt have to pause when reading. I would definatly recommend as a genral read! :)
Emily Dillon
Sep 27, 2012 Emily Dillon rated it really liked it
Surprised to say that I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read that made me want to keep reading. It was even thrilling at times wondering if they would be caught.
The characters felt more authentic than most in teen fiction but I was frustrated with the mouthy main character freezing up at all the most important times-I became frustrated that she didn't just stop the drama she knew was wrong.
Jun 24, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Read my full review.

Bottom Line - All in all, good book, with a solid message, one in which I think many teen's should read, it's not just about shop lifting but any sort of addiction one can have really. I give it a solid 3 mushrooms, enjoyable but I'm not totally sold!
Alex
Jul 16, 2010 Alex rated it really liked it
I picked this book up on a whim at the library, so I didn't have high hopes. But I ended up really enjoying it.

Poppy moves to a new town and befriends two girls who introduce her to the adrenaline rush of shoplifting. Poppy quickly realizes she can't stop, and steals more and more to get the thrill.

The ending surprised me, and I would read other books by this author.
Jenifer
Dec 07, 2011 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for so many reasons! First of all, I personally know the author and that is just extremely cool on so many levels. Second, the book was a fun, easy read that kept you wanting more. Loved the characters and the story line! A fun read for a Saturday afternoon! Well done, Wendy! ...more
Judy
Sep 02, 2010 Judy added it
Poppy had never stolen anything in her life before moving to Pleasant Acres and meeting Mary jane and Whitney. But what Poppy walks out of the mall with her two new friends and her first pair of stolen jeans, she's hooked. FIC Toliver 334136
Kelly
The end was positively unrealistic. I didn't believe Poppy as a character at all. And also: lilacs don't bloom in Texas. The bushes can grow but they don't bloom, so the fact Poppy could have picked some in a vase in October bothered me.
Sarahfnm
Jul 07, 2011 Sarahfnm rated it did not like it
I really think this book targeted Christian Republicans. The author made this sect of people look really, really bad.

Other than that, I thought it was a boring book.
Lauren
Apr 07, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok
At first I thought it was hard getting into it. Some chapters were better than others but for the most part this book was pretty BORING!! Im just glad to be done reading it.
Stacy
Nov 10, 2010 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Well-written, a bit too heavy on the moral aspects for my tastes but probably just right for a younger reader, a few nice plot twists especially towards the end.
Elsa
Nov 29, 2010 Elsa rated it liked it
It was ok. I did find the baptist school thing interesting because it was so pervasive but not overwhelming.
  • Invisible Girl
  • Tweet Heart
  • My Big Nose and Other Natural Disasters
  • Daylight Runner
  • Crash Test Love
  • The Deathday Letter
  • Nexus Point
  • All the Things You Are
  • A Child's Journey Out of Autism: One Family's Story of Living in Hope and Finding a Cure
  • Friend Is Not a Verb
  • Trance
  • A Field Guide for Heartbreakers
  • Trapped
  • So Many Boys (The Naughty List, #2)
  • The Lighter Side of Life and Death