Start by marking “Balto and the Great Race (Totally True Adventures)” as Want to Read:
Balto and the Great Race (Totally True Adventures)

Balto and the Great Race (Totally True Adventures)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Balto has a quiet life as a sled dog—until tragedy strikes. Dozens of children in Nome become sick with diphtheria. Without antitoxin serum, they will perish—and the closest supply is 650 miles away! The only way to get the serum to Nome is by sled, but can the dogs deliver it in time? Heading bravely into a brutal blizzard, Balto leads the race for life.

A Kansas City Chil
Published September 2nd 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Balto and the Great Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balto and the Great Race

Shao Pheng
Balto and the Great Race is about a race using dogs and sleds to get the diphtheria vaccine to the city of Nome, Alaska. The train couldn't get to Nome because of the snow.

Balto was the lead dog used by Kassen Gunner to lead sled dogs. Balto was the lead dog because he knew the track the best and was the fastest. The plot is about helping others. Balto and Kassen had to run 53 miles across Alaska because the sled team at Point Safety who was supposed take over wasn’t there. Balto and Kassen gunn
Amelia
Balto and the Great Race is a non-fiction chapter book that engages children in learning about the story of Balto, the sled dog who helped save people of Nome from diphtheria. The language used in this story is powerful and can challenge many students to expand their vocabulary knowledge. In addition the sketched illustrations depict the sadness, excitement and triumph that occurs throughout this story.

I found this to be wonderful book to use for literacy groups. Since, this culture was one that
Amanda Denter
Balto and the Great Race was a very interesting book with a lot of information on an event that courage and skill to meet the needs of the people that were getting sick and dying. I would definitely recommend reading this book to children; as I did to my daughter.

The Man Who Walked between the Towers is an astonishing book about a young boy named Philippe Petit with a will to be extraordinary. In 1974, Petit believed he could go anywhere that two object lined up vertically. He set out on a missi
Ariel
A love, stirring account of the famous trek 1926, in which dog sled teams brought diphtheria antitoxin from one end of Alaska to the other to save a whole village of sick people. This is the basis of the Iditarod. It's also a wonderful celebration of the dogs who worked so bravely and so hard to make their way through blizzards, treaties well below zero and hazardous cracking ice underfoot. The bond between people and dogs is a mysterious and inspiring thing, and this story brings it home to you ...more
Todd
IF YOU LIKED THIS TRY...

Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1) by Patricia MacLachlan Tangles by Errol Broome Hurry Home, Candy by Meindert DeJong A Dog's Life The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1) by John R. Erickson The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman Catwings (Catwings, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin

Also: "Abby" by Wolfram Hanel
Josephine
Audrey read this book to me. She rated it 3 stars. She liked it. She did a book report on it for school (they were supposed to read a biography and her teacher told her she was the first ever to do a biography of an animal).
Anyway, it was a good book and a neat story.
Patricia Holland
Response: I feel that Kimmel did a great job researching and delivering this story. This is a classic story that I fell in love with when I watch the movie rendition when I was younger. It is a great story about perseverance and a wonderful way to introduce the history of Balto.

Teaching Implication: This would be a great introduction to a research project. In teams they could research the history of sled teams and why they were created, diphtheria and Alaskan terrain and so on. They can then pre
Barbara
True story and very well told.
Emily
This was an interesting book to read with my first grader. Some of the words and chapters were a little big for him, but I felt that he grew a lot with this assigned reading.
Erin Kelley
What I like about this book is the very first couple of pages. You want to learn more about this dog and the rest of his crew. Once diphtheria struck the town of Nome it was up to these courageous dog to deliver medicine to the town before they all died. There are many lessons that this story teaches-history, geography, courageousness, teamwork, and the bond between man and dog.
Thayer
I really enjoyed this story and look forward to sharing it with my students. They are going to love the the connection to our hometown of Cleveland, Ohio.
Tessa
I sat down to read a chapter or two with the kids and they were so enthralled that we ended upreading the whole thing in one sitting! This is a great tribute to a wonderful group of people and dogs who worked so hard to help children they didn't even know. Later, it would be children who helped rescue Balto and his team. Dogs are wonderful creatures!
Morgan
I read this book because when I was little I loved the cartoon film and feel in love with it then In 5th grade I read this in class and its amazing to read what they went through to save little kids I know I would try to do this but I don't thing it would go this good I love this book.
Angela
My son enjoyed Balto, and it was a nice, shorter chapter book for a beginning reader. I didn't realize until I skimmed the pages that the true events in this story were the inspiration for the Ididarod sled race. Balto is a good introduction to non-fiction for newly, independent readers.
Julia
NOOOOOO!!!

I don't hate a whole lot of books, but this was one that I could definitely do without.

I read this in 2nd grade, thinking it would be fun because I love the balto statue in Centeral Park.

Little did I know- worst. book. ever.
Amy
Read after seeing Balto at the Cleveland Natural History Museum. It was well done and we were both highly entertained and educated by the story!

Bea didn't like that the cover picture of Balto (the only one in color) is not accurate.
Terri
A really fun read about the Famous Balto who led his team through the last leg of the great serum race to get serum to those sick with Diptheria in Nome through absolutely horrible storm conditions.
Hannah
Excellent animal biography about an extensive race against time to save those who were dying of diptheria in Alaska.
Amy
A good book for young children about the amazing race that saved children's lives. Very inspirational and enjoyable
Bree
Notes:
more detail than Sled Dog of Alaska
nice b/w drawings
mentions of Togo also
Megan
May 16, 2011 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: "Iditarod" Library Sparks 3/11
Narrative nonfiction for early readers. Pictures make this even more accessible.
NewFranklin School
I think it was awesome and sad because balto dies at the end. :(
Theresa
the story of a dog and the struggles in the alaska wilderness
Brooke
Heart warming adventure story.
Sandi Burns
This was a good read for my son and I.
Amanda
great book dogs are cool
Amber
Amber added it
Mar 20, 2015
  • Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers
  • Akiak: A Tale From the Iditarod
  • Titanicat
  • Who Was Louis Armstrong?
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
  • Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot
  • A Medieval Feast
  • A Bear Named Trouble
  • Fields of Home (Children of the Famine)
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • Sharks
  • The Cats In Krasinski Square
  • Martin's Mice
  • Pandas and Other Endangered Species (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker, #26)
School Spirit (Suddenly Supernatural #1) Mary Ingalls on Her Own ParaNorman: A Novel Extended Free Preview Lily B. on the Brink of Cool Scaredy Kat (Suddenly Supernatural #2)