Start by marking “Balto and the Great Race (Totally True Adventures)” as Want to Read:
Balto and the Great Race (Totally True Adventures)

Balto and the Great Race (Totally True Adventures)

Balto has a quiet life as a sled dog—until tragedy strikes. Dozens of children in Nome become sick with diphtheria. Without antitoxin serum, they will perish—and the closest supply is 650 miles away! The only way to get the serum to Nome is by sled, but can the dogs deliver it in time? Heading bravely into a brutal blizzard, Balto leads the race for life.

A Kansas City Chil
Published September 2nd 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Balto and the Great Race, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Balto and the Great Race

Shao Pheng
Jan 06, 2015 Shao Pheng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Balto and the Great Race is about a race using dogs and sleds to get the diphtheria vaccine to the city of Nome, Alaska. The train couldn't get to Nome because of the snow.

Balto was the lead dog used by Kassen Gunner to lead sled dogs. Balto was the lead dog because he knew the track the best and was the fastest. The plot is about helping others. Balto and Kassen had to run 53 miles across Alaska because the sled team at Point Safety who was supposed take over wasn’t there. Balto and Kassen gunn
Todd
IF YOU LIKED THIS TRY...

Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner Sarah, Plain and Tall (Sarah, Plain and Tall, #1) by Patricia MacLachlan Tangles by Errol Broome Hurry Home, Candy by Meindert DeJong A Dog's Life The Autobiography of a Stray by Ann M. Martin The Original Adventures of Hank the Cowdog (Hank the Cowdog #1) by John R. Erickson The Whipping Boy by Sid Fleischman Catwings (Catwings, #1) by Ursula K. Le Guin

Also: "Abby" by Wolfram Hanel
Ariel
Feb 27, 2015 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg, non-fic
A love, stirring account of the famous trek 1926, in which dog sled teams brought diphtheria antitoxin from one end of Alaska to the other to save a whole village of sick people. This is the basis of the Iditarod. It's also a wonderful celebration of the dogs who worked so bravely and so hard to make their way through blizzards, treaties well below zero and hazardous cracking ice underfoot. The bond between people and dogs is a mysterious and inspiring thing, and this story brings it home to you ...more
Amelia
Jun 27, 2014 Amelia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching-reading
Balto and the Great Race is a non-fiction chapter book that engages children in learning about the story of Balto, the sled dog who helped save people of Nome from diphtheria. The language used in this story is powerful and can challenge many students to expand their vocabulary knowledge. In addition the sketched illustrations depict the sadness, excitement and triumph that occurs throughout this story.

I found this to be wonderful book to use for literacy groups. Since, this culture was one that
Amanda Denter
Balto and the Great Race was a very interesting book with a lot of information on an event that courage and skill to meet the needs of the people that were getting sick and dying. I would definitely recommend reading this book to children; as I did to my daughter.

The Man Who Walked between the Towers is an astonishing book about a young boy named Philippe Petit with a will to be extraordinary. In 1974, Petit believed he could go anywhere that two object lined up vertically. He set out on a missi
Anthonyc chilton
Patricia Holland
Mar 15, 2011 Patricia Holland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Response: I feel that Kimmel did a great job researching and delivering this story. This is a classic story that I fell in love with when I watch the movie rendition when I was younger. It is a great story about perseverance and a wonderful way to introduce the history of Balto.

Teaching Implication: This would be a great introduction to a research project. In teams they could research the history of sled teams and why they were created, diphtheria and Alaskan terrain and so on. They can then pre
Tessa
Mar 28, 2012 Tessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-books
I sat down to read a chapter or two with the kids and they were so enthralled that we ended upreading the whole thing in one sitting! This is a great tribute to a wonderful group of people and dogs who worked so hard to help children they didn't even know. Later, it would be children who helped rescue Balto and his team. Dogs are wonderful creatures!
Erin Kelley
Apr 14, 2012 Erin Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I like about this book is the very first couple of pages. You want to learn more about this dog and the rest of his crew. Once diphtheria struck the town of Nome it was up to these courageous dog to deliver medicine to the town before they all died. There are many lessons that this story teaches-history, geography, courageousness, teamwork, and the bond between man and dog.
Morgan
Apr 11, 2012 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because when I was little I loved the cartoon film and feel in love with it then In 5th grade I read this in class and its amazing to read what they went through to save little kids I know I would try to do this but I don't thing it would go this good I love this book.
Terri
Feb 15, 2009 Terri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fun read about the Famous Balto who led his team through the last leg of the great serum race to get serum to those sick with Diptheria in Nome through absolutely horrible storm conditions.
Amy
Read after seeing Balto at the Cleveland Natural History Museum. It was well done and we were both highly entertained and educated by the story!

Bea didn't like that the cover picture of Balto (the only one in color) is not accurate.
Angela
My son enjoyed Balto, and it was a nice, shorter chapter book for a beginning reader. I didn't realize until I skimmed the pages that the true events in this story were the inspiration for the Ididarod sled race. Balto is a good introduction to non-fiction for newly, independent readers.
Josephine
Audrey read this book to me. She rated it 3 stars. She liked it. She did a book report on it for school (they were supposed to read a biography and her teacher told her she was the first ever to do a biography of an animal).
Anyway, it was a good book and a neat story.
Crystal Chatham Housman
Wonderful non-fiction story of Balto, the Alaskan sled dog who helped deliver medicine to the community of Nome during a diphtheria outbreak. This is a young readers' chapter book of about 100 pages. Read it after purchasing for my nephew.
Julia
Apr 07, 2011 Julia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
NOOOOOO!!!

I don't hate a whole lot of books, but this was one that I could definitely do without.

I read this in 2nd grade, thinking it would be fun because I love the balto statue in Centeral Park.

Little did I know- worst. book. ever.
Amy
Jan 20, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A good book for young children about the amazing race that saved children's lives. Very inspirational and enjoyable
Hannah
Jan 21, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, history
Excellent animal biography about an extensive race against time to save those who were dying of diptheria in Alaska.
Emily
Feb 04, 2014 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book to read with my first grader. Some of the words and chapters were a little big for him, but I felt that he grew a lot with this assigned reading.
Thayer
Jan 06, 2014 Thayer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story and look forward to sharing it with my students. They are going to love the the connection to our hometown of Cleveland, Ohio.
Bubba
Bubba rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2008
Julie
Julie rated it did not like it
Dec 04, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2009
Galazzoboy
Galazzoboy rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2009
Heather Hocking
Heather Hocking rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Le
Le rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2012
Moriah
Moriah rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2009
William R B Hershey
William R B Hershey rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2013
Benson
Benson rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2016
  • Puppies, Dogs, and Blue Northers
  • Togo
  • Fields of Home (Children of the Famine)
  • Mercedes and the Chocolate Pilot
  • The Boy and the Samurai
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • The Real Thief
  • The Cats In Krasinski Square
  • Mammal (Eyewitness Books)
  • Our Solar System