Start by marking “The Calling (Immortals, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Calling (Immortals, #1)

The Calling (Immortals #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  2,863 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Amber Silverthorne, gorgeous contemporary witch in a deserted Seattle warehouse, casts spells to find her sister Susan's murderer, when she is attacked by an ancient demon. Just as abruptly, the demon is attacked by a tall, hunky guy flashing a sword, who later claims to have "just been passing through."

Adrian is an Immortal, a son of Isis in third Dynasty Egypt, and ultim
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Love Spell (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Calling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Calling

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I was pretty underwhelmed with this book. I am a huge fan of Jennifer Ashley's historical romances, and I consider her an autobuy (except for the erotic stuff she writes as Allyson James). However, I just didn't love this story. I like the concept of the warriors who all have different goddesses as mothers. However, the pagan religious theme is too heavy in this book. I'm just not into books that deal heavily with the practice of Wicca magic and belief. Not my cup of tea. I also wasn't fond of t ...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
Sep 16, 2009 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it it was amazing
spoilers in here, but the biggie ones are hidden :)

Wow, ok, this is was a fantastic start to a great series! Adrian is an Immortal. He and his 4 brothers were created by different goddesses and mortal priests so that the world would have 5 demi-gods with compassion for humanity around to pound on the bad guys. Well, 700 yrs ago, Tain, Adrian's brother, one of the Immortals, was captured by a demon and he has been tortured daily since then.

After that, the other brothers all walked away from thei
Robin
May 15, 2009 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
This is the first in the series The Immortals. This book penned by Jennifer Ashley is about the paranormal world. The story starts out with a witch (Amber) who goes to the warehouse where her sister was murdered by a Demon. While there she is confronted by the same demon who killed her sister. He intends on killing her next. Out of nowhere Adrian an Immortal jumps in and rescues Amber. The story revolves around Adrian looking for his lost brother for over 700 years. Amber helps him look and the ...more
Mara
Jul 20, 2015 Mara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pnr
A younger Ms Ashley, I would say. The usual PNR, nice and easy to read, but even easier to forget. It might have improved if the world building had been neater, but the Egyptian warrior might have been Scottish and you wouldn't really have noticed.
There were drama, betrayal and death, but again they were barely a ripple in the pond this story is. (As in no real reaction, no real effects on characters.)

I don't know the other authors who penned the rest of the series, and this book didn't interes
Jennifer Ashley
Aug 16, 2009 Jennifer Ashley added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Book 1 of the Immortals. The new e-book editions of the series are out! (as of Jan 20, 2014) Trade paperback to follow. The re-release is revised and edited. The story has not changed, but hopefully will be a more smoothly written read. Find it here:

Kindle

Edwina Callan
Jan 13, 2015 Edwina Callan rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book, 2015
Pure brain candy.
I read a chapter or two at a time, in between reading other books.
And, even though I did enjoy it, it didn't pull me in to the point where I had any trouble laying it aside for days at a time.
Will read the next book in this series before deciding whether or not I care to continue on through the other 6 books.
Birgit
Feb 25, 2016 Birgit rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I love Jennifer Ashley, but I wasn`t drawn into this book. Maybe I`m just not too much into the genre - shifters, werewolves, vampires....
But then again I`ve read some paranormal books I really loved.
J
Jun 21, 2017 J rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this whole series years ago in my rabid PNR days and loved it! as with all Jennifer Ashley highly recommend. I aim to re read the series.
Carolyn F.
Dec 01, 2010 Carolyn F. rated it liked it
This book - hmmm, it seemed all over the place to me. I thought the strong male wasn't that strong. And Amber, just a little too boring for me. I've complained that some of the heroines are so out there, in your face, that it's a little too much. But then I turn around and complain that Amber is boring, I'm never content.

Amber's sister is killed by a demon and she's trying to find out what happened. Adrian goes to help her when the same demon attacks her. He's also looking for his brother Tain,
Lady of the Lake
I liked this book. It wasn't the deepest or the best of PNR but I like immortals I'm not a big fan of werwolves there are a few I liked Vampires are ok but I found I like immortals. I didn't see what Adrian saw in Amber the way she was physicaly described it didn't do much for me but I liked how he was attracted to her innocence and the goodness he saw all through her. I was caught up in it right from the start and now I am moving on directly to the next book in the series Jennifer Ashley wrote. ...more
Charity
One word. CHEESY. By chapter two, he's in bed with her and she's asking the dumbest question of, "What, are you a size 20?" Cheesy and horrible. The story line would have been good with trying to find out about the dead sister and the missing brother, fighting demons, but I just could not keep going. I found myself rolling my eyes about how he had already figured out that she was the perfect woman before chapter 3 was over.

I guess if you like that sort of thing, more power to you. Not my idea o
Alaine
Jun 14, 2009 Alaine rated it liked it
This paranormal romance has most of the usual suspects, vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, witches and demons. One of the things I have realised whilst reading this book is that I'm not a big fan of demons or immortals. Not sure why? We all have different tastes which is why there are so many authors. I prefer vampires, shapeshifters and werewolves. This book is well written, has plenty of suspense, magic and sexual tension. I would recommend it to paranormal fans of immortal/demon fiction but ...more
Charlotte
Sep 27, 2013 Charlotte rated it did not like it
This is one of the worst books I have read in a very long time. The H/h were pathetic. When one of the main character dies, I was thrilled. I was hoping that the rest of the cast and crew would get killed off too; so I could have a happy ending. I read this whole book from pure bullheadedness. I kept thinking this HAS got to get better. It didn't. I loved her book about Ian. He was fun. These two. Don't waste you time. I have had more fun reading the back of my cereal box.
Ansu
Mar 28, 2011 Ansu rated it really liked it
This book was okay not great because I expected the heroine to have a little more spunk. Amber was a huge let down for me after being called a hereditary witch with amazing powers. This did not help her at any stage and she ended up being a libility to Adian as he always ended up saving her as if she was a regular Jane. This is the reason for a 4 star rating other than that the supporting characters where very nice and Ferrin was great adding a little comic relief to the tension.
Juana "Darkness" Duran
Amber is devistayed when her sister Susan is killed by a very powerful demon. And just when she is about to get killed by the same demon Adrien an immortal comes to the rescue. Along the journey to discover where Adriens brother is and why Susan had to die Amber makes some unlikely aloes. Revelations are made some good and others bad. But will Amber get to keep Adrien? Or will Adrien leave her? Only time will tell.
Paraphrodite
Apr 09, 2014 Paraphrodite rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2014
Reasonable introduction to the series. Every possible paranormal creature seem to be represented in this first book, except for an angel or a djinn..hehehe..... maybe we'll see them in the next books?
Stacie
Apr 26, 2007 Stacie added it
Recommends it for: Paranormal Romance
This one was pretty good. It was something different. The hero is a warrior sent to save innocents from demons. He has a silver arm band that turns into a snake/sword. That was a different twist on the story.
Debrac2014
Jan 06, 2017 Debrac2014 rated it liked it
Interesting reading! The story had a good mix of characters - immortals, witches, demons, vampires, shapeshifters!
Tina Gautreau
If you like torture...

The writing is great. The main characters are interesting. The overall story is good. But the torture is just too much. I got about 50% through, and just couldn't stomach any more. I have no idea how it ends, and won't be reading anything else by this author. But if you don't mind (or even enjoy) detailed accounts of someone being skinned alive or whipped to pieces, give it a try.
☂ ℬrandi
❤❤

The Calling is the first of an eight book series in which we are introduced to the a present day world the includes long forgotten Immortals. Adrian (our hero) is the oldest brother of 5 immortal brothers (Darius, Kalen, Hunter and Tain) who each have a different goddess mother and mortal fathers. The brothers lost contact 700 years ago and while some are believed to have stayed at their home in Ravenscroft (a different realm), others are scattered about in other places. Adrian lives in LA bu
An Odd1
Oct 15, 2011 An Odd1 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, xrate
"The Calling" (Immortals #1) by Jennifer Ashley is the centuries forgotton incantation to summon Immortal warriors in time of need. Xrated or F-rated for carnal deed explicitly depicted and bloody (while alive) "Flay"-word. Seven centuries before, a lush female demon seduced red-hair Tain; lovers vanished; ever since, she has regularly sliced strips of skin off living victim(view spoiler). In a half-dre
Margaret
May 12, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it
*Created at the dawn of time to protect humanity, the ancient warriors have been nearly forgotten, though magic lives on--in vampires, werewolves, the Celtic Sidhe, and other beings. But now one of their own has turned rogue, and the world is again in desperate need of the IMMORTALS.*

He burst into the battle, his leather jacket billowing and his huge silver sword flashing. Amber had no idea why this windswept warrior would rescue her, but there he was--fighting the same demon who'd killed her si
LadyMoonlight
Sep 06, 2012 LadyMoonlight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Dunkle Leidenschaft" ist der erste Teil der Immortal Reihe, die von drei verschiedenen Autoren geschrieben wird. In der Geschichte geht es um Adrian, einen unsterblichen Halbgott, der seinen seit siebenhundert Jahren verschollenen Bruder Tain sucht. Insgesamt hat Adrian vier Halbbrüder. Außerdem gibt es da noch Amber, der Adrian ziemlich schnell näher kommt. Sie ist eine Hexe, die den Dämon finden will, der ihre Schwester getötet hat.

Nach den ersten Seiten dachte ich mir, dass es sich um einen
May Mostly Romance
Oct 06, 2013 May Mostly Romance rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
เจนนิเฟอร แอชลียเปนผูเขียนหนังสือเลมแรกของชุด และเธอกยังเปนคนทีคิดคอนเซปตของหนังสือเลมนีขึนมาอีกดวย ปัญหากคือ สำหรับแมกซแลว หนังสือเลมนีสอบตกอยางสินเชิงในฐานะหนังสือเลมแรกในชุด เพราะมันไมนาติดตาม หรือทำใหเรามีความรูสึกอยากอานเลมอืนในชุดเลย

จากแบคกราวดของชุดทีเลาไป ในเลมนีนักรบคนแรกกถูก "เรียกตัว" โดยแมมดสาวทีชือวา แอมเบอร ซิลเวอรตัน เธอเรียกอิมมอรทอลมาเพือใหเขาชวยสืบหาความจริงเกียวกับการตายของซูซานพีสาวของเธอ แตแทนทีเธอจะเรียกนักรบไดครบทังหา มีเพียงคนเดียวทีปรากฎตัว เขาคือเอเดียน เมือเจดรอยปีกอนเ
MaggieReadsRom
Jul 07, 2010 MaggieReadsRom rated it really liked it
What can I say?
I’m almost speechless, Jennifer Ashley has written a breathtaking start of this series. The teasers thrown at us were promising and those promises were certainly met and then some…
This first book took me on a journey of love, sacrifice, lust, hate , fun and magic. From a warehouse in Seattle to a beachhouse in L.A to the icy-cold North Pole.
And along the way I was treated to everything that makes a book a keeper for me!
Strong and witty characters, both main and secondary:
Adrian,
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Jennifer Ashley begins a promising new series about a group of death magic fighters called Immortals. Adrian is the oldest and is on a 700 year long quest to find his brother, Tain, who was captured by a powerful demon, an Old One. Following the demon, he comes across Amber who is investigating the death of her sister, Susan. Susan’s death appears to be linked to Tain and Amber might be the key to finding him.
Paranormal romance, by definition, involves occurrences that are very different from pr
Nadjab
Zum Inhalt: Amber Silverthorne möchte herausfinden, wie ihre Schwester Susan gestorben ist. Deshalb begibt sie sich in das Lagerhaus, wo die Leiche ihrer Schwester gefunden wurde. Doch dabei beschwört sie durch den Zauber den Dämon herauf, der den Mord begangen hat, doch sie ist ihm nicht gewachsen. Genau in diesem Moment taucht der Unsterblichenkrieger Adrian, der Sohn der GÖttin Isis, auf und verjagt den Dämon anstatt ihn zu besiegen, denn er ist ein Ewiger. Gemeinsam mit Amber machtt er sich ...more
Michelle
Aug 31, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Over the years, I'd seen this book (and the subsequent books in the series) be part of the 'customers who bought this book also bought...' section on Amazon. I was recently looking at the Kindle Daily Deals when I saw that book two in the series was on sale. Well, I couldn't possibly read book two without having read book one, so I decided to pick up both of them.
I didn't pick up any more at the time because I surely didn't know if I was going to like the series or not.

I read this book over the
Mel
I first read The Calling (The Immortals #1) by Jennifer Ashley several years ago because I fell in love with her Shifters Unbound world and decided to check out her backlist. Unfortunately, I'm on a budget and because I've never read any of the other authors who contribute to this series, it got pushed off to the side. Years later, I rediscovered it when I was perusing books that are available via Kindle Unlimited. Almost all of the books in The Immortals series are available through the program ...more
Sarja
Mar 15, 2010 Sarja rated it liked it
We meet Adrian in the middle of a dream/memory of an event that occurred 700 years ago whereby a demon changeling (can be either man or woman at will) lures away his favourite brother Tain and slaughters a whole bunch of people in the process. Tain has been missing ever since and Adrian has been searching for him, believing him to be suffering greatly. They are Immortal brothers sired by ancient Gods/Goddess's around 5000 years ago (Egyptian times). Adrian is born of Isis and Hathor I think. Wak ...more
  • The Darkening (Immortals, #2)
  • The Awakening (Immortals, #3)
  • Night's Touch (Children of The Night, #2)
  • The Dragon Master (Dragon, #3)
  • His Darkest Hunger (Jaguar Warriors, #1)
  • Atlantis Betrayed (Warriors of Poseidon, #6)
  • Crimson & Steam (Crimson City, #8)
  • Red Kiss (Gods of Midnight, #2)
  • Blue Moon (Nightcreature, #1)
  • Master of Dragons (Mageverse #5)
  • My Wicked Enemy (My Immortals #1)
  • Nevermore (Guardians #2)
  • Warrior Ascended (Sons of the Zodiac, #1)
NY Times Bestselling author Jennifer Ashley writes historical and paranormal romance and historical mysteries, as Jennifer Ashley, Allyson James, and Ashley Gardner.

Jennifer's novels have won RWA's RITA and RT Reviewer's Choice awards. More about her books at http://www.jenniferashley.com, http://www.allysonjames.com, and http://gardnermysteries.com.
More about Jennifer Ashley...

Immortals (8 books)
  • The Darkening (Immortals, #2)
  • The Awakening (Immortals, #3)
  • The Gathering (Immortals, #4)
  • The Redeeming (Immortals, #5)
  • The Crossing (Immortals, #6)
  • The Haunting (Immortals, #7)
  • Forbidden Taste (Immortals, #8)