Start by marking “O Me of Little Faith: True Confessions of a Spiritual Weakling” as Want to Read:
O Me of Little Faith: True Confessions of a Spiritual Weakling

O Me of Little Faith: True Confessions of a Spiritual Weakling

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  30 reviews
O Me of Little Faith is a brutally honest, frequently hilarious look at the struggles of a self-confessed spiritual weakling. Jason Boyett invites you to ask the hard questions and remain hopeful as he examines how you doubt, why you doubt, and what (if anything) should be done about it.
Published May 1st 2010 by Zondervan (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about O Me of Little Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about O Me of Little Faith

Faydra
O Me of Little Faith by Jason Boyett is a book about doubt by a guy who’s determined to keep the faith. I wanted to read it because I enjoyed an article by this author in Relevant Magazine and from there I discovered and began frequenting his blog (His old one here: http://blog.jasonboyett.com/, he’s since moved it to http://blog.beliefnet.com/omeoflittle... )

In the book I encountered the humor I’ve come to expect from Boyett. As a mom of three boys who is trying her best to raise them to believ
Connie
Loved the unflinching honesty with which Jason shared his lifelong doubts, the utter logic of many of the questions he asks, and the permission, even encouragement, he gives people to not just allow their doubt but even to embrace it. Only a couple things bugged me: His main advice to doubters seemed to be "act [in faith] anyway." Well, that may help some people, but when you're doubting the whole thing, and those doubts are strong enough, being told to take steps of/toward faith anyway, is like ...more
Martha Johnson
I have just finished reading "O Me of Little Faith" by Jason Boyett. It took me at least three weeks NOT because it is long but because I wanted to savor it.

The book is an exploration of faith and doubt, but in accessible language and stories as well as terrific argument, logic, and dot-connecting. Not that Boyett is going to argue us into faith or argue us out of doubt. In fact, he concludes that doubt actually stokes faith and gives an impetus to life. Aren't we all here to be joyously confus
Serenity Bohon
Definitely grateful for this one. I knew I would relate to the doubt. And I was glad to see the familiar decision to press on anyway. (Jason says it this way: "For me, at least, discarding faith would be like discarding both my legs at the hip. I've been standing on them for as long as I can remember. Faith is part of who I am. It would be deeply wounding to lose it.") I related to this equally as much as I related to his doubt. The wonderful surprise in the book - and this is a bit of a spoiler ...more
Kirsten
I felt that many of Boyott's qualms with God were less about God and more about extreme fundamentalist Christianity. This book was supposed to be about dealing with doubts with teachings of Christianity, but I felt this book was more about the reasons not to believe than reasons to believe. If I wanted to read about reasons not to believe in Christianity, I would have bought "The God Delusion by Dawkins".

While Boyott makes some decent points, although it can be uncomfortable to face the doubts
Julie - Book Hooked Blog
First of all, how cute is this cover? I probably wouldn't have picked this one out were it not for the cover. I'm really torn over my review for this one. I wouldn't necessarily describe it as a memoir, but more as a collection of the authors thoughts and feelings about his faith - or lack thereof. He brings up doubt as a potentially taboo topic in the church and asks some hard questions about the relationship of science to religion and describes his struggles in finding a way to trust God while ...more
Mindy Detweiler
O Me of Little Faith by Jason Boyett

Isn't the Cover of this book just the greatest!! I will admit that the cover is what drew me to this book but once I Started reading it I was intrigued.

The author raised some questions that me as a Christian for over 30 plus years was a bit uncomfortable with but if I was really honest with myself I have thought in the deep recesses of my mind before.

Questions reguarding : Science and do we have to disreguard it, Why are most Christians more interested in th
Jen Rose
Jason Boyett, an established blogger and author of several books (most notably the historical and snarky Pocket Guide series), isn’t new to the writing world by any means. But there’s always room for firsts, and O Me of Little Faith, his first memoir, turns from the history of saints and the Bible to the history of himself, and goes straight to the heart of his own spiritual doubt as he does it.

If it sounds like a heavy topic for a first memoir, you’re right. The Introduction gets the apologies
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:
I really like the concept of this book...the idea of probing into our doubt...our "little faith".

However, this book was one of the hardest books to read. In fact, in honesty, I did not finish it. I skimmed through the remainder but I just could not follow the book. I have always thought of myself as someone weak in the area of faith - and still do - so I was looking forward to reading this book. I think my main lack of enjoyment in this book is because it is more a detailed spiritual b
Sunflower
”O Me of Little Faith” was a wonderful read, and touched a cord, that many followers can relate of having doubt at some point of their lives.

Light-hearted, filled with relevant scripture and encouraging, ”O Me of Little Faith” reminds us all of the human side of following our Heavenly Father.

What I enjoyed most, other than the cute cover, was the reminder, of how, many of us, at some point and time of our lives, have those moments of doubt and how it’s not necessarily a bad thing, but often th
Crystal
There are so many great things about this book – I really can’t encourage you hard enough to read it. Here’re my top 5 reasons why you should order it TODAY:

1) It’s honest. Brutally honest. It’s essentially a book filled with his confessions – how much he doubts and how imperfect he is. We could all learn a lesson or two from his act of honesty.

2) More likely than not, you have struggled at some point in time with the same questions he struggles with. It’s the perfect book to help you feel like
Derek
Jason Boyett's autobiographical confession owes much to the style of blog-style writers such as Donald Miller, but Boyett establishes a clear voice and sense of purpose quickly and consistently. His goal is to let others know that doubt is not only acceptable, but arguably beneficial to Christians. Boyett's prose has a lightness to it, as well as a self-awareness (and self-deprecating nature) that allows him to really be vulnerable and connect with the reader. He references some of the typical a ...more
Amy Young
I really wanted to like this better than I did. I'm a sucker for memoirs and love people talking about faith and I like's Jason's podcast. For someone else, this might be the perfect book that hits them right where they are, but for me, I just kind of lost interest.

Bought in Lawrence, KS. Another reason I wanted to love it.
Maria Germann
Footnotes, so, SO many footnotes. Like a teenager trying to waste space in a term-paper or someone discovering footnotes and thinking it'll make them sound smart and look profound, this author flogs footnotes to death. And apparently on purpose so as not to disrupt the flow of the reading, as the author states on his website. I found them annoying because of the massive blob of tiny text at the bottom of the page, not just a reference or citation. I'm worried about missing out on something good ...more
Heather Caliri
A funny, honest book about doubt. I found Boyett's questions compelling ,and I think this would be a healthy, encouraging book for any skeptic.
Ti Bryan
... of the spiritual grey-zone.
Elwood
I used a hi-liter 3 times:
1. ...the more I learn about a subject, the more shades of gray come into view.
2. There are few things that turn me off more than people who speak with absolute certitude about complex issues...
3. Don't pretend to be better than you are. Don't pretend to be smarter than you are. Don't pretend to be more spiritual than you are. Don't pretend to have it together when you don't. Don't pretend to have all the answers when you don't. Don't pretend to worship when you don't f
Heather Pulley
I read this book for obvious reasons - sometimes I have doubt. It was comforting to read about a person who has even more doubts than me. And it was good to hear that my way of coping is much the same as the author's. This book didn't revolutionize my thought processes and it didn't really give me an tools to deal with doubt, but it was helpful to me to hear someone else wonder about some of the same things I do. And he kept the tone very light and fun, not taking himself too seriously.
Brandy
I LOVED this book. The author is honest about doubt...which is something that isn't discussed much. I never realized how much I doubted my own salvation until I read this...a real eye opener, and a freeing one at that.

I also loved his idea about praying with liturgy. Wonderful prayers to offer up to Christ throughout the day... meaningful words that you don't have to think of yourself.

He references several other books in here that I also plan to check out.
Beth Peninger
Witty, honest, real. A book about a life of faith that I can get behind. The author doesn't pretend or try to hide behind the mask of "mature Christian". He just lays it out there for examination by himself and his readers. I appreciated this book for its honesty, for calling the Church out in necessary ways, and for concluding that doubt and weak faith may make for a true spiritual giant.
Greg
Jul 26, 2010 Greg rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
More like 3.5 stars. For years I've clung to a statement Philip Yancey made in one of his books about how faith and doubt must coexist. Boyett's questions and struggles with faith and doubt are similar to my own and so I found this book very appealing. He asks difficult questions - questions I've asked myself and still have no answers - but still maintains his faith despite the doubts.
Bailey Olfert
Although a few of the things that Jason wrote did resonate with me, I felt that in the end I'm once again patted on the head and advised to keep on keeping on. I didn't find a lot of help in this book, but since it is billed as "true confessions of a spiritual weakling" I should not have expected much.
Julianna Lopez
I recommend this book for Christian's struggling doubt. It may give them a fresh perspective as it did for me. It is good to note, however, that although the reader and author doubt alike, the reader should not compare his or her faith with that of the author.
Larry Olson
I am a huge Jason Boyett fan and love his books and articles in Relevant magazine. "O Me Of Little Faith" is an honest and humorous exploration of how strongly doubt plays in the authors journey of spiritual exploration. I highly recommend it.
Fiona
This is a good book on the subject of doubt, light and conversational in tone but dealing with some interesting thoughts and aspects of how we consider and deal with doubt and faith. I took pages of notes which shows how useful I found it.
Leigh  Kramer
A wonderful companion for anyone who has ever doubted their faith or know someone who has. While Boyett has more doubts than I do/did, much of this book resonated. I appreciated the books he referenced and the stories he shared.
John
Jason Boyett is a doubter. But he doesn't just share that in this book. He REVELS in it. It became off-putting early on.

There is some good content here and I'm glad I stuck with it, but overall I'm a bit disappointed.
Adrienne
This book was written by my good friend's nephew. It was really, really great. It was a quick read and I can really relate to his sense of humor and thought proceses. I would recommend that everyone read it!
I was so encouraged by this book. I hope to re-read it soon.
NancyL Luckey
Love the cover picture!
  • Evolving in Monkey Town: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask the Questions
  • Churched: One Kid's Journey Toward God Despite a Holy Mess
  • The Organic God
  • God Collar
  • Unfinished: Believing Is Only the Beginning
  • Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock
  • Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace
  • The Myth of Certainty: The Reflective Christian and the Risk of Commitment
  • Permission to Speak Freely: Essays and Art on Fear, Confession, and Grace
  • Flickering Pixels: How Technology Shapes Your Faith
  • Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven, But Nobody Wants to Die, or (the eschatology of bluegrass)
  • Thrashing About with God: Finding Faith on the Other Side of Everything
  • Mere Churchianity: Finding Your Way Back to Jesus-Shaped Spirituality
  • Amish Peace: Simple Wisdom for a Complicated World
Pocket Guide to the Apocalypse: The Official Field Manual for the End of the World Pocket Guide to the Bible: A Little Book About the Big Book Pocket Guide to the Afterlife: Heaven, Hell, and Other Ultimate Destinations Pocket Guide to Adulthood: 29 Things to Know Before You Hit 30 Things You Should Know by Now: A Mini Life Manual for the Quarterly Aged

“I keep living as a committed Christian, even on the days when I don't feel like one. Even on the days when the agnostic side of the faith spectrum looks pretty inviting, even on the days when doubt takes hold and shakes me to the core, I keep moving. I keep living as if the sun will rise, as if I'll survive the waters of baptism, as if Jesus will indeed carry me safely across the falls.” 0 likes