Start by marking “The Difference Maker: Making Your Attitude Your Greatest Asset” as Want to Read:
The Difference Maker: Making Your Attitude Your Greatest Asset

The Difference Maker: Making Your Attitude Your Greatest Asset

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,460 ratings  ·  85 reviews
What can make the difference in your life today? How can twopeople with the same skills and abilities, in the same situation, end up withtwo totally different outcomes? Leadership expert John C. Maxwell says thedifference maker is attitude. For those who have ever wondered what may beseparating them from achieving the kind of personal and professional successthey ve always ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Difference Maker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Difference Maker

Jennifer Radtke
I received this book as part of a subscription through LIFE. It was filled with such good information that I thought I would share some of my favorite parts with you.

p 62...When I hear somebody sigh, "Life is hard," I am always tempted to ask, "Compared to what?" Think about the alternative! - Sydney J Harris

p63 Ninety percent of those who fail are not actually defeated. They simply quit. - Paul J Meyer

p70 Few things are better at helping someone overcome discouragement than spending time with t
Lee
Maxwell is masterful at squeezing an immense amount of helpful, practical advice into this short, easy-to-read, anecdote-filled book. Your attitude affects so much in your life, and it's one of the few things that you can actually control. A good attitude doesn't necessarily make good things happen to you, but it sure does help. Or you can easily set yourself up for failure by harboring a bad attitude, undermining your own efforts to succeed. Maxwell begins by wisely differentiating between what ...more
Paul Bard
Best thing about this book is this quote:

Harry Truman: "The worst danger we face is the danger of being paralyzed by doubts and fears. This danger is brought on by those who abandon faith and sneer at hope. It is brought on by those who spread cynicism and distrust and try to blind us to our great chance to do good for all mankind."

That guy is my hero!

Message of the book: have a good attitude. It's broad, and general in nature but it gets 3 stars because it's literate and well-written. Worth a q
Lucas
Livro especialmente indicado para pessoas que não tem atitudes positivas diante fracassos. Como sempre, John Maxwell escreveu sobre mais um assunto totalmente pertinente e cotidiano. Indico.
Neil Geisel
Having a great attitude is always attractive. But, the clichés about having a great attitude only scratch the surface, attitude affects our daily habits and leadership. One point John Maxwell digs into was an eye opener for me. "Problems are wake-up calls for creativity." I like the idea of reframing problems and getting creative to deal with a problem or to end up better off than if the problem never arose. This book has some basic foundations on the ideas of possessing a positive attitude, but ...more
Joel
I would like to first state that this is the first book I read by Maxwell so I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't normally read a lot of books like these and also know that he's written quite a few so I intend to be selective about what I do read.

I enjoyed this book. Would I say it's changed my life radically? No, because I haven't made any purposeful application of it yet. Although it's easy for me to say that I know attitude makes a difference, it's nice to be reminded about how and why that
Stephen Bump
This book explains the importance of having a positive attitude. Maxwell refutes the common phrase “attitude is everything” by claiming that skills and abilities are still important; attitude isn’t everything but it can make a significant difference given an equivalent skillset. The author encourages readers to overcome five unique obstacles that commonly cause people to have a negative attitude: discouragement, change, problems, fear, and failure. He also explains to readers how to ensure attit ...more
Vishal
Read this one because my mentor suggested it. A good attitude is the key message. Generic, doesn't sound high handed and quite well-written.
My favorite quotes from the book:

- If you think you can do something, that's confidence. If you can do it it's competence. Both are needed for success.
- A time comes when you need to stop waiting for the man you want to become and start being the man you want to be.
- All the things you love were once unknown to you. Don't be afraid to keep trying something
Leslie ellis
I know. I know. Put this guy down. He knows leadership.
This is a step by step to understand how two people with the same skills and ability can wind up with a different outcome.

He's such an easy read. AND!
One of my favorite examples- page 74- 'Make the Right Decisions,'"shoulder a deserved blame" and "subdue emotion." When you lead a team, their fault is yours.

You can want to expect a certain outcome from a 'one on one' but how effective is that really if the second party does not understand an
Sumantha
This is a common sense, practical way to approach life. Maxwell cites many commonly known anecdotes and quotes, but weaves then into an easily digestible treatise on the power of attitude. It's like a fleshed out version of the Serenity Prayer. That said, I disagree with Maxwell's comment that attitude cannot substitute for talent. Even without a natural aptitude for something, a person with a strong enough interest, with enough focus, drive, and practice (see also: having the right attitude) ca ...more
Glenn Hunter
The Difference Maker is classic John Maxwell. The logic is irrefutable. The examples are tangible. Some of the concepts are borrowed from earlier work, but he inspires with both new and old material. I recommend this book to anyone who needs to adjust their attitude to achieve their individual goals.
Aaron Raphael
Attitude is not everything; similarly in John Maxwell's other book, Talent is Not Enough. There are many critical success factors and a positive good attitude is just one of them. This books shows you how to maintain a good attitude as u deal with 5 common scenarios that you will face in life. A straightforward easy read.
Kristine Pratt
It seems to me that the books by John C. Maxwell tend to get repetitive. There are several core truths that he says, and then he winds up saying them over and over again in different ways.

That's what makes the so effective.

We learn best through repetition. Using stories, and a chatty and conversational approach, Maxwell works hard to drive his point home. And does. By the end of this book, I really have vowed to work on my attitude. I really would like to be a difference maker.

I would recommend
Elyse
A short but great book by Maxwell. Loved that he pushed past the cliche "attitude is everything" and admitted that it's not the end all but also delved into what can be behind our attitude and why it truly is the "difference maker." I especially liked the portion about fear as it can hold many, including me, back so easily.
Thomas
What did I think of the book...not much. The author is a supposedly successful motivational speaker, but as one reader in a group of four who discussed the book -- none of us liked it. The book is ghost written, and is without original thought. The book is mostly of quotes and anecdotes by famous and historical figures, and pop icon references. In-between the author attempts to interject (very briefly...and poorly) what he believes are the proper steps to making a difference in your own life and ...more
Angela
This book starts with how making a difference starts with attitudes. The importance of having the right attitude and how to capitalize it. And then the author explains about how to handle obstacles in having the right attitude. I think this book is a must read for those with big dreams and entrepreneurial spirit.
Anne
My second favorite book of Maxwell's after the 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth. I've highlighted tons in this book to go back to and reference!
Muhammad Damascus
الفرق بين الاشخاص هو التوجه و المنظور للحياة بمافيها من مثبطات التغير مثل الخوف والمشاكل والهمة
الفرق بين متسابقين الجري هو ثواني وهذا هو التميز
Tim Moran
Great read. Motivating book that sheds light on how our attitude can give us an edge in life. I read it in one sitting, couldn't put it down!
Moroni Montoya
to the core of why and how a good attitude towards life can be the difference maker. I enjoyed the book because of its practical advice.
Mohamad Dahrouj
اقل مستوى من كتبه الاخرى
يريد ان يؤكد على اهمية التوجه الايجابي لكنه في هذا الكتاب يضيف الى التوجه الكفاءة والمقدرة .
Linda
The intro and first chapter always grab me, with the assertion that attitude isn't everything - but it makes a big difference to what is perceived and experienced. Like any skill, it takes work to filter out fears and get over disappointments. One of the best quotes comes from a short story of a Kentucky survivor of the Civil War, weeping to General Robert E. Lee about a burned heirloom magnolia tree on a plantation, and his reply: "My dear woman, cut it down and forget it." She'd been staring a ...more
سالم
كتاب رائع مهم في تحديد توجهك و كيفية التعامل مع الفشل و الخوف
بس لازم خلفية دينية قبل قرائته .. كتاب مسلي
John
Quality piece of lit - capital Q
Maxwell needs to be in the professional persons Hall of Fame (cue 'The Script' music)
Marcia Brisson  Van Camp
I don't generally books like this but I liked it and I would recommend it. It makes you think about how you approach problems, failure, and success to see where there is room for improvement in your attitude. Lots of great quotes and backup stories. One thing I really liked is his point that we often listen to ourselves...but we never talk to ourselves. Meaning...we allow negative thoughts to creep in, without pro-actively telling ourselves good and positive things.
Carl
Feb 09, 2008 Carl rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of psychology; success leaves clues
Shelves: self-motivation
I was a bit disappointed with this book. I had expected more from it. Having said that, it was not a bust. It just had a lot of the same old 'Act Happy - Be Happy' stuff. But the concept was sound. And I think the book can be summed up with this quote, “You are the way you are because that’s the way you want to be. If you really wanted to be any different, you would be in the process of changing right now…”

B/B = BORROW
John
This book will identify the areas where your attitude is hurting you instead of serving you. It might even sneak up on you so read the whole book carefully even if you think you have this attitude thing handled. It was the last highlighted quote on the last page that got me: "Success each day should be judged by the seeds sown, not the harvest reaped."
Jary Welker
My second read of this short but potent book was even better than the first and I love the W Clement Stone quote John Maxwell uses as the theme of his book..."There is little difference in people, but the little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative."
Fed
Very good book. Very good advice about personal attitude, success, and failure. I found the chapter on failure very helpful. It is true that it is important it is to understand failure and use it as a stepping stone for success. Also, very helpful the "never give up" attitude change, and tips on how to rise from failure every time we'll fail.
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • LIFE
  • The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • Voyage of a Viking
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • The Laws of Lifetime Growth: Always Make Your Future Bigger Than Your Past
  • An Enemy Called Average
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
  • Point Man: How a Man Can Lead His Family
  • The Dream Giver: Following Your God-Given Destiny
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude...and You Change Your Life!
  • Toughen Up!
  • The Business of the 21st Century
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • The Go-Getter (a Story That Tells You How to Be One)
  • Read and Get Rich: How the Hidden Power of Reading Can Make You Richer in All Areas of Your Life
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac ...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Winning with People Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization

“The sum of all your thoughts comprises your overall attitude.” 23 likes
“most people overrate decision making, and they underrate decision managing.” 1 likes