The Debt

The Debt

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  664 ratings  ·  81 reviews
After fleeing a painful and compromising past, Emma Rose Howard settled eagerly into the role of a pastor's wife. She and her husband, Abel, dedicated themselves to parenting a mega-church and influenced thousands of lives through its related ministries.

But when Emma Rose receives a phone call from a living, breathing remnant of her troubled past, she finds herself wonderi...more
Published February 19th 2004 by WestBow Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Debt

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversMark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine RiversThe Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany TullisLeaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  Wood
Christian Fiction Favorites
123rd out of 298 books — 285 voters
The Shack by Wm. Paul YoungBright Christmas by Susan RohrerLight Under the House by Aaron L.The Debt by Angela Elwell HuntThe Mitford Years Boxed Set Volumes 1-6 by Jan Karon
Favorite Christian Fiction
4th out of 6 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Tonya
Fantastic inspiring book. Emma Rose is the wife of a tv preacher, thinking they are doing all they can to reach people from their tv's in their homes about the gospel of Jesus Christ. This tv ministry keeps them busy, meetings and such. When a message comes one day about a certain date in Emma's history, this will rock Emma's world. Considering she never told her husband about her past.

Her past that includes drugs, prostitution and a pregnancy resulting in adoption. When her son wants to meet E...more
Kimberly
This book was great. A novel written by a Christian author with definitely a Christian theme to it! It really made me think. Do you feel "called" as a Christian? Does God call you to do something for Him or for you? Do you work within your comfort zone or outside of it? What is a Christians responsibility? These are some of the ideas that were provoked in my head after I read this book. You could probably read it as a novel and not think as deeply about it. But it could also be a catalyst for ch...more
Jo
First book I've read of Angela Hunt... Easy read - but some big lessons... I enjoyed the journey... Pg. 272 "I've been a Christian Super Woman for so long... If I could take all the energy I invest in maintaining my virtuous image and transfer it to simple trust and obedience... maybe then I could leave my reputation and other peoples expectations in the Lord's hands while I walked through each day with an ear cocked for His voice..."
Randy Alcorn
May 02, 2012 Randy Alcorn added it
Shelves: fiction
The Debt is a powerful story, captivating and superbly written. I couldn’t put it down. Angela Hunt touched my heart. When I finished, I thanked Jesus for speaking to me. That’s the highest compliment I can pay any book.
Greta
As a woman and more importantly a Christian I loved the message of redemption in this story. It called for Christians to step out of their shells and see the world for what it is. It emphasized that the worship experience extends well beyond the brick and mortar that we as Christians have held dear for years. The real walk is in the streets where the people are. Angela Hunt did a good job bringing this point forward through the story of the reuniting of a mother and the son that she gave up at b...more
Katherine
I liked the book. The writing & the characters, at times, felt "simple", predictable. But I loved the message, and more than once, I found a line worth applying to my own life...like I would in a non-fiction book. I will be reading at least one more to develop a more accurate view of what I really think of her, as an author.
Ginny Jaques
I'm on a roll, reading and recommending books that challenge the shallowness of my faith. This is one of them. I think every North American Christian should read this book. Another that would go on my list of top 10 important books for Christians, or at least close to it. Interesting plot and premise. Challenging.
Elizabeth
This was the second book by Angela Hunt (the other was The Pearl) that I have read. Both books have made me think, this one more so.
How do we inside the church minister to those outside the church? How do we reach those that don't know they are lost?
Teanne
This was a great book with not just a good story line but an important life lesson. There is a man in this book who is so Christ-like and giving. Reading this book really made me think about how I can give more of myself. He gave of his time, money, energy and most important his love. If we could all get rid of judgement and just show love, then the world would be a better place. As I was reading it I wanted to do more, and be a better person.. I started thinking of little ways I could show love...more
JoAnn
As a rule I don't like books that are written in the first person and wife of a televangelist is not a character that would draw me in, but I have read a couple of other books by the author and thought they were quite good so I kept going with this one.
Wow! This book illustrates some wonderful spiritual truths in a story that is captivating. I don't want to give anything away, but once I got past the first dozen pages, I could not put it down and ended up finishing it about 24 hours after I star...more
Lisa
Don't think anyone who isn't a Christian would actually read this book. But...if you are a believer at any stage, this would be a good read. The good pastor and his wife have so immersed themselves in their ministry for the Lord that they have lost their first love of the Lord Himself. When the wife's past walks back into her life as the child she gave up for adoption, the world as they have known it disappears and they are faced with choices. Filled with lots of scripture references, this story...more
Leslie
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was very eye opening as to the fact that just attending church and doing things for people in the church does not make you a christian. I once went to a church that would look down on you if you did anything with anyone that did not attend that church. I did not feel that that was right at the time, and changed churches. The Bible says we are to be a light in the world and to let it shine. Light shines in the darkness not in a room that is already lit. It m...more
Robin
I loved this book! I found myself on the same spiritual journey as Emma Rose.And while she was questioning herself I started looking into myself and asked the same things, like am I listening to the voice of God or am I just pretending to be religious?Her husband Abel reminds me of a lot of Christians today,ready to give out advice about how to follow God but is unable to take his own advice.The character Chris stood out throughout the whole book and was the perfect example of showing Christ's l...more
Deborah Tate
Due to time constraints, I don't read a lot of Christian fiction. But after reading Randy Alcorn rave about this book, I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did. Finished it in two marathon reading sessions. It's a thought-provoking, convicting look at who we really are as Christians. Do we simply go through the motions and live life trying to avoid every appearance of evil or do we allow ourselves to get down in the trenches and meet hurting people face to face? Beautifully written. The cha...more
Allison Seremjian
I read this book in two days because I couldn't put it down. A great story of christ's love and how it is never to late to change your ways. Also, I feel like this book is so relatable to a variety of people. No matter what your background you will find not only christ's love but his guiding hand in this story. I felt moved by this book and it gave me places to reflect on my own life and my walk with the Lord. A great read for pleasure and spiritual health. Loved this book and would recommend it...more
Becky
For some reason, my favorite book of Hunt is still The Pearl. This book was good in itself, but when compared to The Pearl (IMHO) it paled. Of course, the book did capture my attention, but I kept losing focus sometimes of the way Emma was brought up, as she said "God led Abel to ministry and herself to Abel". Didn't like that one bit! LOL Anyway, good story to remind Christians of how you need to act throughout your lives and to touch people you wouldn't normally have any contact with. Read it,...more
Terri Tinkel
The book was easy to read, quickly moving and not to preachy. It gave an idea of behind-the-scenes of a big television compound with a minister and his wife who really did want to serve their congregation. And they were portrayed as humans making mistakes, getting angry and being stubborn. The past comes back after over 25 years and plenty of decisions need to be made. It had some tragedy but it did fit the story line. If you want a good book, without any swearing and sex...this book is for you.
Shellys♥ Journal
I wouldn't say its the most compelling novel I've ever read, but I could relate to a lot of church stereotypes portrayed in this book. I liked the main character - a pastor's wife - who seemed to walk around for 20 years without seeing her hand in front of her face. Been there. I like the message that it reinforces - it's not about church,it's about Jesus. It was a pretty easy read. I'd probably actually give it 3.5 stars, but well, goodreads doesn't let me...
Heather
I very much enjoyed this story, particularly seeing how Emma grew in her faith and learned to follow God rather than her husband. My only complaints were that I thought what ultimately happened with Christopher seemed unnecessary and Emma's husband wasn't very likable such that I had a hard time seeing what she originally saw in him. But overall, this is a very well written and enjoyable Christian novel with a lively pace and interesting plot.
Cbpax
Not the greatest of Angela Hunt's books but a good one. A shorter read than most of hers as well. A story of redemption - a pastor's wife who has long ago put her past behind her is confronted with it when her "son" appears one day to meet his birth mother. While she is eager to meet and accept him she finds her pastor husband is not so willing. The resolution of this conflict is the story of the novel.
Leah
Turned out to be not what I expected. It's a beautiful story.

I had just finished a book about a mother getting in touch with her long lost child and thought this story would be the same, but that's not so much the main theme. This book is about reaching out to those who need it rather than just those we feel comfortable with. It really touched me and made me see my walk in a different light.
Cathy Campbell
I enjoyed this book immensely. A woman meets her son she placed for adoption at birth - he finds her and makes her rethink the purpose of her life. The presence of this unexpected intruder threatens everything about her life, her calling, and her marriage. The Debt not only invites readers to embrace the painful heartache and incomparable joys of the past, but it challenges the reader as well.
Chris
I didn't think I'd like this christian fiction book when I first started it but now I'm hooked. Great writing in that I didn't know where it was going and was angry at the christian protrayals but finally resolution is being poured on my anger like a wonderful balm and I'm anxious to see the way the new character brings to light the error of so many christians in these days!
Candy
A thoughtful reminder that we can not loose ourselves in supporting another's journey. While supporting that journey we must be listening and following our own. I enjoyed meeting Emma and found her courage to venture outside her comfort zone inspiring. The character was realistically portrayed as she struggled to incorporate her new insights into her current life.
Lola4
One of my all time favorite books. I love the tension between the neat Christianity of those who do church inside a building and try to woo others in (hopefully, "our kind" of others) and the messy Christianity of those who take the Church outside the building to the hurting world. You will like this book if you, like Christ, prefer your Church messy.
Gina Martinez
The book started off a little slow for me but it quickly turned very interesting. It made me realize some things about myself in regards to what kind of Christian I am. There are many churches that minister to the people that are already leading a Christian life but what about those that NEED to find a path to Christ? I really enjoyed this book.
Carol Bailey
WOW!!! is all that I can say. God really brought a lot of things into focus with this book. We as Christians forget that there are people in this world that are hurting and they live next door to us and some are homeless. WE need to get out of our little hedged fortresses and find those people and share the love of Jesus with them.
Carol
I loved this book because it taught a great lesson. We should not bury ourselves in Church and with just church friends. We need to be in the world to meet those people who don't yet know they need the Lord in their lives. Sometimes I find myself associating with just church friends and I need to find a way to meet and share with others.
Dimmy-jimmy
Their are only two books ive read that brought me to tears, this was one of them.This book makes you understnd what it really means to be a christian. many of us fell like and think we are but, read this book and you will understand what it really takes.
bravo angela hunt,you nailed it.
  • Embrace Me
  • The Perfect Life
  • Gardenias for Breakfast
  • The Listener
  • Time Lottery
  • A Time to Embrace (Timeless Love #2)
  • Stranded in Paradise
  • What She Left for Me
  • The Sister Circle (Sister Circle #1)
  • Presumed Guilty
  • At the Scent of Water (Second Chances Collection, #3)
  • The Sacrifice
  • Eve's Daughters
  • A Window to the World
  • Recipes & Wooden Spoons (Tales from Grace Chapel Inn, #3)
  • The Wedding Machine
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their twenties, Angie and her husband live in Florid...more
More about Angela Elwell Hunt...
The Tale of Three Trees The Note Doesn't She Look Natural (The Fairlawn Series #1) The Novelist Uncharted