Start by marking “The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home” as Want to Read:
The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home

The Way of the Hedge Witch: Rituals and Spells for Hearth and Home

"As every good hedge witch knows, the best magick is made right at home. This book shows them how to transform their homes into sacred spaces, where they can:

Create magickal cookbooks of recipes, spells, and charms
Prepare food that nourishes body and soul
Perform rituals that protect and purify hearth and home
Master the secrets of the cauldron and the sacred flame
Call upon
Published September 1st 2009 by Provenance Press (first published 2009)

Joshua Gross
Mar 08, 2015 Joshua Gross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just what I was looking for, simple and basic and to the point, with practical information.
Steve Cran
Apr 25, 2012 Steve Cran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hedge witches were traditionally known as those who lived on the outskirts of the village. They had all soprts of knowledge of herbs, plants and various shamanistic techniques. Hedgewitches also used to travel to the spirit world and venture over to the otherside.

This book focuses on magic that can be done at home and most preferably in the hearth or the kitchen. The home is important which is why the author focuses on it. It is a place of centering and strength and hence the most important aspe
Jun 16, 2012 KJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody who may have an interest in this sort of thing who has an open mind.
Recommended to KJ by: Nobody, I just gave it a chance.
Despite criticisms from some sources, this book delivers what it promises, no more no less.

Whats good:
It is easy to read, clear, and concise to those new to witchcraft, and those too busy for an archaic trudge-read. It is light to read but contains some nice little snippets of back-history, which in a way I prefer as a looker to the future, it doesn't bog you down with talking in riddles, elitist snobbery and long in depth historical details. It is witchcraft for the Modern practitioner.
Although I enjoyed the new perspective on spirituality and the home, this definitely isn't one of my favorite books. I wasn't thrilled with the overall writing style and the layout (particularly how so many things were repeated about a thousand times through the book), but I did find a few things I made note of for possible tweaking and use. From what I know about the more "natural/simple" forms of spirituality and witchcraft, I would not call this "Hedge Witchery," and that term isn't even real ...more
Dec 05, 2015 Sanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for someone who wants to read about simple, down to earth, home based witchcraft. A word of caution though: the name is misleading. I've always connected the term hedge witch to green witchcraft and this book is definitely not about that. Minus points for usage of of the term smudging, which is cultural appropriation, and the slightly disparaging feel I got from the way the author writes about feminism.
Sep 24, 2015 Kimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, nonfiction, witchy
It was okay. Just a lot of general stuff that I could probably find elsewhere, but it was an okay beginners book. I really REALLY liked how the author went out of her way to make this about spirituality, not a particular religion. You wouldn't have to be wicca or pagan or anything else to do some of the things in this book. I liked that.
Lisa A Nofzinger
Excellent book on hearthcraft

This book is very practical and easy to understand. The author coined the word hearthcraft to explain her hedge witch practice, which makes a lot of sense to me. She includes a lot of practical tips on home protection, cleansing and honoring. I would recommend this for beginners through intermediates.
Aug 09, 2011 Amie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-shelf
Some nice recipes but incorrectly titled IMO. Either that or the author learned about hedgies from Rae Beth or even $ilver Ravenwolf. Hearth witch, kitchen witch or cottage witch are much more appropriate titles.
Nov 15, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witchery, want-to-buy
this is one I dip into time and again
Terri Lynn
Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2011
LifeisaBookshelf rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Me rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Kelly-Anne rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Ashley rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Michelle Robinson
Michelle Robinson rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Ellie rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2015
Candice rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2012
Laurel rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Shelly Morrow
Shelly Morrow rated it really liked it
May 05, 2015
Marcia rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Devi rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Lisa Mulloy
Lisa Mulloy rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2015
Owldaughter rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Leilani Ahia
Leilani Ahia rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
cat rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Kate E.A.
Kate E.A. rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2009
Teresa Deaver
Teresa Deaver rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2014
Gramarye rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Melody rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Shmendrick rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Craft of the Wild Witch: Green Spirituality & Natural Enchantment
  • Garden Witch's Herbal: Green Magick, Herbalism & Spirituality
  • The Outer Temple of Witchcraft: Circles, Spells, and Rituals (Temple of Witchcraft, #2)
  • Bud, Blossom, & Leaf: The Magical Herb Gardener's Handbook
  • The Wicca Garden: A Modern Witch's Book of Magickal and Enchanted Herbs and Plants
  • The Goddess is in the Details: Wisdom for the Everyday Witch
  • Magical Housekeeping: Simple Charms & Practical Tips for Creating a Harmonious Home
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Natural Witchcraft: The Timeless Arts and Crafts of the Country Witch
  • Green Witchcraft II: Balancing Light & Shadow
  • Embracing the Moon: A Witch's Guide to Rituals, Spellcraft and Shadow Work
  • Midsummer: Magical Celebrations of the Summer Solstice
Currently a resident of Montreal, Canada, Arin works as a freelance writer and editor. She is the author of Power Spellcraft for Life: The Art of Crafting and Casting for Positive Change (2005), Solitary Wicca for Life: A Complete Guide to Mastering the Craft on Your Own (2005), The Way of the Green Witch (2006), The Way of the Hedge Witch (2009), and Pagan Pregnancy: The Journey From Maiden to Mo ...more
More about Arin Murphy-Hiscock...