Start by marking “Plum Spooky (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #4)” as Want to Read:
Plum Spooky (A Stephanie Plum Between the Numbers/Holiday Novel, #4)

Plum Spooky (Stephanie Plum #14.5)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  31,104 ratings  ·  1,876 reviews
This Between-the-Numbers romp sends city slicker Stephanie Plum into the eerie Jersey Pine Barrens with Lula on a spooky mission. The fabled Jersey Devil (or at least a reasonable facsimile) stops by for a cameo, and Diesel, Steph's romantic nemesis, makes an inconvenient though not entirely unwelcome appearance.
Published January 6th 2009 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Plum Spooky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plum Spooky

Krystal
Tammy
Jan 16, 2009 Tammy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Plum fans
Recommended to Tammy by: JJ
I'm a BIG fan of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.

Not a big fan of the between-the-numbers/holiday novels.

But what can I honestly say about Plum Spooky?

BEST. BETWEEN-THE-NUMBERS. EVER.

If you are not familiar with the series, Stephanie Plum works as a bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey, for her sleazy cousin Vinnie. In this installment in the series, Stephanie is on the hunt for Martin Munch, boy genius, for failure to appear in court. Uber bounty hunter, Diesel, pops back into Stepha
Julie (jjmachshev)
Stephanie, Stephanie, Stephanie. "Plum Spooky" is Janet Evanovich's latest hilarious trek through the life of confused, inept, and somehow lucky despite all that, bounty hunter Stephanie Plum. This is the longest 'between the numbers' novel yet at 309 hardcover pages. Diesel is back, as are Ranger and Morelli, along with Lula, more monkeys that I could count, and a host of other interesting characters!

Stephanie is after what should be a fairly easy recovery. Munch is a 24-year-old kid-sized geni
Fay Nikkels
Another disappointing book!
I used to love the Plum books, don't know what happened to JE.
Ohhhhhh that was a good book. You know it's good when you get to the end and you slow down to make it last and then when you see the last words you feel sad because you know it's going to be awhile before you get to read what happens with the characters you are so fond of.

I have to agree with so many other reviewers that this was one of the best between the numbers books in the Stephanie Plum series. It was absurd and yet you didn't roll your eyes. (I could actually picture the monkeys with the
Erin
While this is a pretty decent story I think she is really pushing the "out there" qualities of the characters. I could totally go with Stephanie, Lula and Grandma, but monkeys, global weather control and characters with powers are too much.
Bark's Book Nonsense
On the search for a geeky dude named “Munch” and in over her head as always, bail bonds woman Stephanie Plum gets into all sorts of jams when she enters the scary redneck territory known as “The Pines”. The usual sexy men in Stephanie’s life make appearances as well as a Mario Bros. loving monkey, his slew of new monkey pals and, of course, Lula with her usual her zany awesomeness. I think I missed a few Plum books along the way because I had to do a double take (make that a rewind) when Diesel, ...more
Kristin
These Stephanie Plum books were SO funny when they first came out, but have become SO repetitive and boring...I honestly think the author writes them during her lunch hour in one sitting...hard to believe it's #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List!!!
Jenni
Ah yes, its Stephanie Plum, one of the most inept bounty hunters ever, again bumbling her way through a catch that proves to be much larger and more complicated then it should be.

Reading the Plum books have always been sort of like enjoying a catchy pop song - you enjoy it for a bit, but once you move onto to something else, you don't think about it much.

Sadly, the Plum books are starting to move towards the other problem with pop songs - after a while, they all sound alike, and become indisti
Susan
Well, I usually enjoy the Stephanie Plum books, even these between-the-number chapters, but for some reason this book just didn't 'hit the spot'. I found myself thinking of excuses NOT to finish it.

I very much enjoy Evanovich's humor, Stephanie's escapades, Lula's one-liners, sexy Ranger, someone-not-too-shabby-to-come-home-to Morelli and even enjoy the mysterious Diesel in these books.

I got about halfway through and am going to put this aside for now. Because: I got tired of the monkey antics
Jeffrey
Jan 27, 2009 Jeffrey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Evanovich fans and fans of humerous mysteries
This 3rd Plum "between the numbers" novel is pretty good. If you have not read Evanovich books before, they are about Stephanie Plum, who is a sexy babe who works for her cousin as an inept Bounty Hunter, her partner, Lulu, an ex-ho who is a big beautiful women, but who favors tight spandex clothes, and a cast of various refugees from a bad movie, who are the criminals who have ran off on their bonds, that Stephanie must apprehend. Stephanie is dating Morelli, a Trenton cop, but is "friendly" wi ...more
Toocrazycosmoyahoo.com
I normally love Janet Evanovich/Stephanie Plum books. I get so excited about her writing that I mark my calendar so I know about pending releases.

Which is why I was so bummed about this novel. I guess I should be grateful... "Between the Numbers" novels are usually pretty short and this one clocked in at over 300 pages. But I struggled through the entire book. Did we really need all the technical mumbo jumbo about weather control? Normally the wackiness is fun. This time it just felt forced. BTW
Jamie
If the plot wasn't so weak I would give this three stars. I think it's the best of the "Between the Numbers" books, and better than book # 14, even if I still don't like Diesel as well as Ranger and Morelli. I snickered out loud several times, and that's mostly what I ask of a Plum book.
Erica Goulding
One word: HOKEY. I mean, really. Monkeys, superpowers, rockets that create rain, disappearing in fire and smoke, etc. Was I reading "Stephanie Plum Meets Harry Potter"?
As usual Lula had me laughing out loud, but that's about as reliable as the storyline got. I ALMOST put it down half way, and would've, had it not been for the Lula humor. Not at all impressed.
Lis
I haven't been a huge fan of the "Between the Numbers" Plum books, but this one was terrific - definitely as good as any Numbered book. Loved Ranger, *loved* Carl the monkey, and loved Lula (she had some awesomely funny moments). This book was vintage Plum.
Becca
Ehn...I don't really care for the books in the "Between the Numbers" series. Evanovich should leave the supernatural world alone, she does just fine with Stephanie and her crew in New Jersey.
Donna
It's been a while since I've read a Stephanie Plum book and it is truly a guilty pleasure for me. Janet Evanovich is so FUNNY. Last year, I was getting tired of the series by the time I reached the last one because it felt like the characters were trapped and couldn't move forward. So the break from this series was nice, because I feel like I love it again.

This series is one that is just plain fun. I don't think it's realistic or earth shattering...it is just fun and everyone needs FUN.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Janet Evanovich’s Plum Spooky is the funniest Stephanie Plum book yet! In this Stephanie Plum installment all the characters make an appearance: Joe Morelli, Diesel, Plum, Ranger, Tank, and of course Lulu who use to be a ho. Stephanie Plum, incompetent bounty hunter, is in search of Martin Munch, boy genius, who skipped his bond, and in searching for him she meets Wulf, Diesel’s cousin. Diesel is looking for Wulf to put an end to his antics. Wulf warns Stephanie away from Munch because he’s doin ...more
Joshua Gross
This wasn't my favorite Stephanie Plum adventure. Unlike other between-the-numbers books in this series, this book didn't have a strong tie to a holiday, usually referenced by the title. While spooky things may be happening in the book, it isn't because it's Halloween. Also, things didn't get that spooky. Stephanie spent far to much time rambling around in the Pine Barrens without accomplishing anything, Stephanie depended an awful lot on the big strong men around her to keep her safe (even thou ...more
Jodi
I’ve become bored by this series which is why this book was so delightfully surprising. For one thing, it wasn’t particularly funny. I don’t mean that the jokes fell flat because there were plenty of chuckles to be had, but Stephanie wasn’t reduced to Three-Stooges-like pratfalls just because. Instead, she was smart, resourceful and interesting. This was a Diesel book but not a stand-alone Diesel book which meant that Diesel was inside Stephanie’s life rather than Stephanie stepping outside her ...more
Brittany
Wow! I really don't care for the Stephanie Plum between the novel books. I read them so fast, so I can be done with them. I love the Plum Series but the between the novel ones fall far short from the leading books. I'm just not into the whole Diesel/magic guy who just mysteriously pops into Stephanie's house wanting help. I don't get it. It gets kinda annoying. There's not enough Morelli or Ranger in the book. And way too much Diesel and Stephanie interaction. The plot was ok, buy got carried aw ...more
Kori
It pains me to dip below 3 stars because I anxiously await every single Stephanie Plum novel. Unfortunately, for me, this one was just not up to snuff. It didn't have the usual humor, and I found myself getting bored in the middle. I might be developing a crush on Diesel, though. I nominate Matthew McConaughey to play him in the movie.
Beth
These between-the-number books aren't all that good.

But will I keep reading them?
And will I enjoy myself while I'm reading them?
Probably.
But are they worth more than two stars?
Nope.
J.W. Thompson
Another great Stephanie Plum novel.
Laurie
Another Stephanie Plum gem! Plum Spooky was my favorite to date of the Between-the-Numbers books. Stephanie spends this story searching for Martin Munch, a brilliant 24-year-old who disappeared with classified knowledge and scientific equipment. Of course, nothing is simple for our favorite bounty hunter. Munch is tangled up with Wulf Grimoire, an Unmentionable currently being pursued by Diesel. Diesel and Stephanie team up and begin their ridiculous chase for the unsavory pair.
Janet Evanovich i
RebeccaS
Steph Plum is one of my favorite characters and I like the "Wicked" series with Diesel. So I thought I'd give a "between the numbers" book a try. I have to say it definitely exceeded my expectations. This mystery was mildly (though not greatly) interesting and of course it involved Wolf, so there was a mysterious/magic component to it. (view spoiler) ...more
Robin
Wow. I don't know that I've ever given a one star review. Maybe I have and I just blocked it from my mind.

I attempted to read this last night. Now, in all fairness, I should have known better. I broke up with Evanovich after Lean Mean Thirteen. The books started to read the same and I no longer cared about the characters....even the ones I have previously liked very, VERY much. So, why, then, would I try and read this "Between the Numbers" novel? Because I'm an optimist, that's why. MAYBE, I th
Rebecca
The next Between-the-Numbers novel is out and Diesel is back. Yes, I know most of the Plum fans love either Morelli or Ranger, but for me, it's Diesel all the way! He's both Ranger and Morelli rolled together with a dash of uber-dangerous tossed in to boot. Gotta love those super-dangerous bad boys that you so would not take home to mom. But that's me...I like to tread the line.
And boy does Stephanie tread the line in this one. Most of the readers critisms of the series is that the story line
Sara
Far from the best of the books in the Stephanie Plum series. The between-the-numbers novels are never quite as good as the regular ones, but Plum Lucky was much better than I'd expected, so I had high hopes as I began this one; at the very least, Janet Evanovich never fails to make me laugh out loud. This book featured the main bounty as a guy named Munch, who's a dweeby science nerd looking to score with a woman, and Diesel as back as well, looking for a man named Wulf, rumored to be with Munch ...more
Join in the discussions! 5 49 Feb 09, 2015 10:25PM
The Women's Myste...: #18 Plum Spooky 1 3 Aug 09, 2013 10:57PM
  • High Anxiety (Crazy, #3)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • O is for Outlaw (Kinsey Millhone, #15)
  • 5 Bodies to Die For (Body Movers, #5)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #4)
  • Eternity in Death (In Death, #24.5)
  • Better Read Than Dead (Psychic Eye Mystery, #2)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)
  • Curse of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #2)
  • Bobbie Faye's (kinda, sorta, not exactly) Family Jewels (Bobbie Faye, #2)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Stephanie Plum (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1)
  • Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)
  • Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3)
  • Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4)
  • High Five (Stephanie Plum, #5)
  • Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)
  • Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)
  • Hard Eight (Stephanie Plum, #8)
  • To the Nines (Stephanie Plum, #9)
  • Ten Big Ones (Stephanie Plum, #10)
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)

“I hate mornings. They start so early.” 281 likes
“Truth is, I'm a good Catholic girl. The faith has always been elusive, but the guilt is intractable. ” 78 likes