Start by marking “Letters on an Elk Hunt” as Want to Read:
Letters on an Elk Hunt

Letters on an Elk Hunt

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  18 reviews
The History of the American West Collection is a unique project that provides opportunities for researchers and new readers to easily access and explore works which have previously only been available on library shelves. The Collection brings to life pre-1923 titles focusing on a wide range of topics and experiences in US Western history. From the initial westward migratio ...more
Published March 19th 2009 by BCR (Bibliographical Center for Research) (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Letters on an Elk Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters on an Elk Hunt

Apr 13, 2013 Judy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Judy by: Cheyenne Blue
Another really fantastic read. I picked this up immediately I finished the "Letters of a Woman Homesteader" and have enjoyed every minute of going on a community excursion into hunting even wilder country to hunt for Elk. Not only for recreation and diversion, as modern day hunting is, even though the entire experience added layers of enjoyment and variety to these pioneers hard lives, but to lay aside a source of meat for the winter ahead.

You get so many glimpses into the daily existence and da
I was happy to find another book by Mrs. Stewart, although I had some trepidation about the subject in the title. And while they do eventually get to hunt and it is described in matter-of-fact detail, it's not what was most memorable to me.

What I liked best (told through a series of letters from Mrs. Stewart to her friend back east) was seeing the relationships sustained between the homesteaders. As they traveled to and from the hunt, the hunting party depended upon the kindness of strangers --
Kris Irvin
Not nearly as good as Letters From a Woman Homesteader, but still worth a read. This book will make you want to go camping in the high mountains of Wyoming. It made me yearn to be a homesteader/pioneer myself, but I would have died and also, I love indoor plumbing.
Excellent 2nd book to the Letters of a Woman Homesteader. These are the real letters from a real woman and I found them to be amazing. It is a very quick read.
I think I enjoyed this even more than Letters of a Woman Homesteader but why bother writing your own review when the author provides one herself?

“I have experienced about all the human emotions. I had not expected to encounter so many people or to get the little inside glimpses that I've had, but wherever there are human beings there are the little histories. I have come home realizing anew how happy I am, how much I have been spared, and how many of life's blessings are mine.”
Since I enjoyed the first book, "Letters of a Woman Homesteader", and I had this book on my shelves... time to read it! Taken together, the books give a wonderful portrait of Elinore Pruitt Stewart, her neighbors, her landscape (SW Wyoming), and her "good mon" Mr. Stewart.

Lots of hard work establishing a homestead in the early 1900's in a harsh environment, but she also took the time to notice, and write about, the beauty surrounding her.

I'm happy to be living in my time and place but can admire
Rhonda Rempel
Aug 26, 2009 Rhonda Rempel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Loving it so far, Elinore Pruitt Stewart was a young widow with small children, early 1900's who answered an ad to work on a Wyoming ranch and left her job in the east, eventually becoming a woman homesteader. She writes a series of detailed letters to friends back east of her day to day adventures. A real historic record of life in the West at that time. This is my own book so will share. Love it so far and they haven't strated hunting elk yet!
This is a hard time of year for me. The anniversary of my husband's death approaches, and I get sad and wistful. This was the perfect book. It got me up and about, scrubbing the house and feeling better about things. I hated the hunting scenes, but not too many homesteaders went in for the vegetarian thing.
Another great read by Elinore Pruitt Stewart! This one deals with characters she meets on an elk hunt in 1914. Compared to Letters of. . . This book is more about the harshness and beauty of pioneer life told through personal histories -some very sad and moving parts. Beautiful book - another favorite.
Jennifer Zartman
I loved Letters from a Woman Homesteader, and this book, though quite a bit shorter, makes a great sequel. The author's gift of writing and the picture she paints of life in the Wyoming wilderness refresh me and remind me to open my eyes to see the beauty around me.
I love these books. The letters are so descriptive, I feel as though I were there with her. Mrs. Stewart works so hard and does it so cheerfully, I feel guilty whining about my daily chores. Quite an inspiration for our times!
Got this on my kindle and really enjoyed it. I read the first one and this follows it. If you enjoy history and the West you will like this. Well written and true. Both are an easy read.
Funny little anecdotes from a settler in the Wyoming territory circa 1913. Stewart pokes fun at her own foibles, and those of her neighbors, but it's always good-hearted.
Read it, it's fantastic. And true. This woman really has a way with words, too. The settings and emotions really come to life, as corny as that sounds.
Linda Hart
Absolutely delightful, easy read, collection of true life experiences on a 4 month elk hunt in 1914. Highly recommend.
Such a great read--absolutely loved it--both times I read it!
Delightful and wonderful, great stories.
vivicadabra marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Denyse Cox
Denyse Cox is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2015
Jill Evans
Jill Evans marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Suzi marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015