Start by marking “Letters on an Elk Hunt” as Want to Read:
Letters on an Elk Hunt

Letters on an Elk Hunt

The History of the American West Collection is a unique project that provides opportunities for researchers and new readers to easily access and explore works which have previously only been available on library shelves. The Collection brings to life pre-1923 titles focusing on a wide range of topics and experiences in US Western history. From the initial westward migratio ...more
Published March 19th 2009 by BCR (Bibliographical Center for Research) (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Letters on an Elk Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters on an Elk Hunt

Judy
Apr 12, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Judy by: Cheyenne Blue
Another really fantastic read. I picked this up immediately I finished the "Letters of a Woman Homesteader" and have enjoyed every minute of going on a community excursion into hunting even wilder country to hunt for Elk. Not only for recreation and diversion, as modern day hunting is, even though the entire experience added layers of enjoyment and variety to these pioneers hard lives, but to lay aside a source of meat for the winter ahead.

You get so many glimpses into the daily existence and da
Pirate
Feb 16, 2011 Pirate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was happy to find another book by Mrs. Stewart, although I had some trepidation about the subject in the title. And while they do eventually get to hunt and it is described in matter-of-fact detail, it's not what was most memorable to me.

What I liked best (told through a series of letters from Mrs. Stewart to her friend back east) was seeing the relationships sustained between the homesteaders. As they traveled to and from the hunt, the hunting party depended upon the kindness of strangers --
Kris Irvin
Oct 20, 2010 Kris Irvin rated it liked it
Not nearly as good as Letters From a Woman Homesteader, but still worth a read. This book will make you want to go camping in the high mountains of Wyoming. It made me yearn to be a homesteader/pioneer myself, but I would have died and also, I love indoor plumbing.
Robin
May 21, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent 2nd book to the Letters of a Woman Homesteader. These are the real letters from a real woman and I found them to be amazing. It is a very quick read.
Rachel
Nov 17, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the first book ("Letters from a Woman Homesteader") discussed Pruitt's adventures homesteading, this one is all about an elk hunt she and her husband go on with some of their friends. They encounter all kinds of interesting people, help some folks out, get helped out by others, and generally enjoy being out in the wide world. I found it enthralling. Not quite as wonderful as "Letters from a Woman Homesteader," but nearly so.
Hope
In 1909 Elinore Pruitt went out west to Wyoming and married Clyde Stewart. Her interesting story is told in "Letters of a Woman Homesteader." This second book (a series of letters to a dear friend) was written five years later on a elk hunting trip. Her descriptions of people and places make this a fascinating read.

Describing abandoned houses she wrote, They were "hope's skeletons with their yawning doors and windows like eyeless sockets. (p. 25)

On life's challenges: "It had made her swim when
Kirstin
May 20, 2010 Kirstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I enjoyed this even more than Letters of a Woman Homesteader but why bother writing your own review when the author provides one herself?

“I have experienced about all the human emotions. I had not expected to encounter so many people or to get the little inside glimpses that I've had, but wherever there are human beings there are the little histories. I have come home realizing anew how happy I am, how much I have been spared, and how many of life's blessings are mine.”
Joyce
Sep 20, 2012 Joyce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I enjoyed the first book, "Letters of a Woman Homesteader", and I had this book on my shelves... time to read it! Taken together, the books give a wonderful portrait of Elinore Pruitt Stewart, her neighbors, her landscape (SW Wyoming), and her "good mon" Mr. Stewart.

Lots of hard work establishing a homestead in the early 1900's in a harsh environment, but she also took the time to notice, and write about, the beauty surrounding her.

I'm happy to be living in my time and place but can admire
Rhonda Rempel
Aug 26, 2009 Rhonda Rempel is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Loving it so far, Elinore Pruitt Stewart was a young widow with small children, early 1900's who answered an ad to work on a Wyoming ranch and left her job in the east, eventually becoming a woman homesteader. She writes a series of detailed letters to friends back east of her day to day adventures. A real historic record of life in the West at that time. This is my own book so will share. Love it so far and they haven't strated hunting elk yet!
Joanne
Sep 19, 2010 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard time of year for me. The anniversary of my husband's death approaches, and I get sad and wistful. This was the perfect book. It got me up and about, scrubbing the house and feeling better about things. I hated the hunting scenes, but not too many homesteaders went in for the vegetarian thing.
Kate
Dec 27, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read by Elinore Pruitt Stewart! This one deals with characters she meets on an elk hunt in 1914. Compared to Letters of. . . This book is more about the harshness and beauty of pioneer life told through personal histories -some very sad and moving parts. Beautiful book - another favorite.
Carolyn
Jan 12, 2013 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books. The letters are so descriptive, I feel as though I were there with her. Mrs. Stewart works so hard and does it so cheerfully, I feel guilty whining about my daily chores. Quite an inspiration for our times!
Jennifer Zartman
May 21, 2013 Jennifer Zartman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Letters from a Woman Homesteader, and this book, though quite a bit shorter, makes a great sequel. The author's gift of writing and the picture she paints of life in the Wyoming wilderness refresh me and remind me to open my eyes to see the beauty around me.
Tracy
Feb 05, 2016 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, easy read, the continuation of "Letters of a Woman Homesteader".

I liked it, it is full of entertaining frontier people. I like Elinor's voice, she is funny and fearless. It is more charming because it is true.
Jan Priddy
This is an epistolary story of a months-long elk hunt of about a hundred years ago. A good story, but tragic behind the author's determination to find goodness and beauty in a very hard life.

I downloaded the full story and reformatted it as I read in a document.
Alex
Jan 07, 2012 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this on my kindle and really enjoyed it. I read the first one and this follows it. If you enjoy history and the West you will like this. Well written and true. Both are an easy read.
Linda Hart
Jun 27, 2009 Linda Hart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful, easy read, collection of true life experiences on a 4 month elk hunt in 1914. Highly recommend.
Judy
Jun 02, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-memoir-bios
This lady continues to amaze me. Anyone who liked Letters of a Woman Homesteader needs to read this, too.
Chloe
Sep 19, 2011 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it, it's fantastic. And true. This woman really has a way with words, too. The settings and emotions really come to life, as corny as that sounds.
Wealhtheow
Jan 23, 2012 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Funny little anecdotes from a settler in the Wyoming territory circa 1913. Stewart pokes fun at her own foibles, and those of her neighbors, but it's always good-hearted.
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2011
sylph
sylph rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Rebecca Adams
Rebecca Adams rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Cynthia Smith
Cynthia Smith rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2010
Jen
Apr 22, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a great read--absolutely loved it--both times I read it!
Maude
Maude rated it really liked it
May 02, 2010
John Nelson
John Nelson rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2012
Bernard Windwillow
Bernard Windwillow rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2017
  • Raven's Exile: A Season on the Green River
  • Hearts West: True Stories of Mail-Order Brides on the Frontier
  • Wordstruck: A Memoir
  • The Wild Marsh: Four Seasons at Home in Montana
  • Sergeant York and the Great War (Men of Courage)
  • Playing God in Yellowstone: The Destruction of America's First National Park
  • A Confederate Girl's Diary
  • No Life for a Lady
  • Theodore Roosevelt's Letters to His Children
  • High Wide and Lonesome
Elinore Pruitt Stewart (born Elinore Pruitt; June 3, 1876 – October 8, 1933) was a homesteader in Wyoming, and a memoirist who between 1909 and 1914 wrote letters describing her life there to a former employer in Denver, Colorado. Those letters, which reveal an adventurous, capable, and resourceful woman of lively intelligence, were published in two collections in 1914 and 1915. The first of those ...more
More about Elinore Pruitt Stewart...