Start by marking “Sir Orfeo: Ein Englisches Feenm Rchen Aus Dem Mittelalter” as Want to Read:
Sir Orfeo: Ein Englisches Feenm Rchen Aus Dem Mittelalter

Sir Orfeo: Ein Englisches Feenm Rchen Aus Dem Mittelalter

This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Published January 28th 2009 by BiblioLife (first published 1300)

To ask other readers questions about Sir Orfeo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Orfeo

April
Oct 24, 2015 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A poor attempt at anglacising a Greek myth.
Jess
This one was interesting to read after just reading the original myth. So sappy and watered down compared to Orpheus and Eurydice! I'm a sucker for retellings, though.
Seamaiden
Oct 20, 2013 Seamaiden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school-related
I read Tolkien's translation of this epic poem. I really loved it. It was running like water in a river. It was pretty.
Esmay
Feb 25, 2017 Esmay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do really like this lay!
Nicole
Feb 05, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for my Studies in Genre--Romance Class. I had never read it before, but as soon as I read the synopsis, I was hooked and fell in love with it. However, to me, it lost something in the translation and the "watered down" re-telling. Something tells me that the original version will be much, much better. Also, I believe that it will fit better with the story. To me, the re-telling just had no point in the end; you don't always have to have a "happy ending." This version gave you that, t ...more
Sky
Mar 04, 2015 Sky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The version I read was actually in it's Old English form. It is a good story, but it was a little difficult to stay awake while reading it. To tell the truth, it's been a while since I've read something that put me to sleep. Nothing against the work; it was just so melodic ad a little slow to the point I just fell asleep without knowing it until I woke up.
Allie
Jan 01, 2017 Allie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obviously nothing compares to the myth, but Sir Orfeo is just as wonderful. I read it for class and I was not one bit disappointed. A must-read even if for the pure purpose of comparison to the classic myth.
Shelbi
Feb 19, 2015 Shelbi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I would have known this wasn't in English, I wouldn't have read it. Well, yes I would, it was for class. I wanted to spark note it, but I suffered through it. The best part of this tale? Reading the Celtic/old English aloud so I sounded like I was Irish!!
Lada
May 31, 2014 Lada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting poem of the myth of Orfeo and Eurydice. An english fourteen century version relaborated not as a Greek mth but as an English popular song as Orfeo like an English landowner. Very important as a traceof Greek myth. What stays of a myth.
Mike
Oct 06, 2016 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in the original middle english. It was good, but not quite as wonderful as the other medieval pieces I've been reading.

The funniest part about it was the attempted knowledge of classical myth, which generally was in the realm of correct, but ended up being wrong. Fun but nothing amazing.
Robert O Mahony
This was pretty boring. True incarnation of the romantic genre or not, this myth really wasn't interesting like other mythology I've read, nor did it have any real meaningful message. Meh.
Jonathan
Whoever this medieval author was, he did not need to retell the myth of Orpheus and Eurydice and combine it with The Odyssey to get the ultimate happy ending. *Barf!*
Kelly
Sir Orfeo - 11/20/07. I think I've also read Pearl. Both for the same class I think.
Annathelle26
Nov 26, 2013 Annathelle26 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
A very pleasant read. The rhyming was beautiful!
Veronika
Veronika rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2017
Dorottya Szakonyi
Dorottya Szakonyi rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2012
Jude
Jude rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2013
Kerri
Kerri rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Kaitlin
Kaitlin rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
sloggs of posterity
sloggs of posterity rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Shalu
Shalu rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Síofra
Síofra rated it it was ok
May 18, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Esmé
Esmé rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2017
€l!na
€l!na rated it it was ok
Oct 20, 2013
Emma Dakers
Emma Dakers rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2015
Annie
Annie rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2014
Laurel
Laurel rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2016
  • Witch Wood
  • Machiavelli: Selected Political Writings
  • Speaking of Siva
  • Astrophel and Stella
  • The Book of Beasts: Being a Translation from a Latin Bestiary of the 12th Century
  • The Portable Romantic Poets: Blake to Poe