Start by marking “Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)” as Want to Read:
Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)

Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow #4)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  13,750 Ratings  ·  327 Reviews
The battle continues as five ordinary kids must journey back into the heart of an epic conflict.

Five months into World War III, Ellie and her four remaining friends have barely escaped the Australian town of Wirrawee with their lives and their sanity intact.
But as the next step becomes clear, they realize they must once again sacrifice their hard-won comfort and safety. A
Published October 1st 2006 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness, Be My Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness, Be My Friend

Priscila
Feb 06, 2015 Priscila rated it it was ok
Shelves: booksreviewed, sexist
Okay, so I feel like I should write a review of this book because there is a rape scene that is romanticized, and passed off as a sex scene. I am so fucking tired of seeing abuse romanticized in YA literature. It is so fucking unhealthy and disgusting, but I think the reason this one in particular pisses me off is because it completely blind sided me. I love this series, it's about a group of teens that conincidentally go camping on the days their town gets invaded. In consequence they turn into ...more
Zoey
3.5 ★
So wish we could have half stars on here!!!!!
After being rescued by the New Zealand army at the end of the previous book, Ellie, Homer & the rest of their little group are heading back to Hell.
Another good instalment of this series, but I didn’t find this one as gripping as previous ones, that may be because it had to follow the 3rd book ( The Third Day, The Frost ) which in my opinion is the best in the series (so far) so it had a lot to live up too. Not as much action & more how E
Mish
Mar 12, 2012 Mish rated it liked it
Recommended to Mish by: Helen
This didn’t impress me as much as the others in the series. The book deals with the physiological impact the teenagers are going through as a result of the war. The action scenes are still heavy and fast paced but it’s all starting to sound the same. Not a lot of progress is being made. It is emotional in parts, when we learn a little more of family and friends held at the showgrounds.

Overall I think the series is brilliant and I’ve come too really like the characters. In particular Ellie, I th
Bodosika Bodosika
Sep 25, 2016 Bodosika Bodosika rated it it was ok
Starting Words: I didn't want to go back.
Ending Words: Pay the price and be proud you have paid it,that's what I reckon.

Readable but not my thing
however I will give it 2 Stars.
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight LibraryWe can’t all be winners all the time.

That’s the theme of this book.

Sure, in the past, things have gone wrong. Plans have gone awry. People have been killed.

But the main objective was always achieved.

Wirrawee Bridge. The officer’s houses. Cobbler’s Bay.

Not in this book.

This book is all about failure.

Small mistakes.

The kind you make because you’ve been living a perfectly ordinary life for six months.

The kind you make because you’re adjustin
Antonella

"And so we started on that familiar journey. Again we became shadows in the night, dark dingoes sinking home to our lair."

3.5/5

Me pasaron distintas cosas con este libro.

Primero que nada, me costó engancharme, no sé si fue porque leí el anterior hace más de un año y me olvido rápido de algunos detallitos que suceden en los libros :O o es porque por un par de páginas pasa muy poco.

Me pareció bastante distinto a los anteriores por el tema de que el cansancio está venciendo a nuestros personajes
Lars Guthrie
May 09, 2010 Lars Guthrie rated it it was amazing
Marsden keeps hitting them out of the park for me in this series, which take place in a present-time Australia that has been invaded and conquered. In 'Darkness,' Marsden's teenage narrator Ellie is forced out of a sort of retirement in New Zealand after she and her friends accomplished a spectacular act of resistance in 'A Killing Frost.' Perhaps this is best, as Ellie seems at loose ends. After some self-destructive behavior at a party, she signs on to return to Australia. As with the previous ...more
Jessica

**check out my review for Tomorrow, When the War Began for my take on the series as a whole**

Probably the slowest of the series so far, but by no means unworthy of the 5 stars rating. The feel of this book and the style are a bit of a departure. There is less action and craziness and way more internal dialogue for Ellie. I noticed a lot more “I remember when...”, and Ellie will often stop midway through a conversation or action sequence to share an anecdote with the reader. I can see how this m
Sally
Oh man am I glad I went right into this after The Third Day, the Frost! I think I can stand to wait a little before moving onto the next book now, but not too long because WHOA.

(view spoiler)
Kirsti (Melbourne on my mind)
Plot summary: Now safe in Wellington, Ellie and her friends are adapting to life outside of war-torn Australia. All that is about to change. When they're asked to return to Wirrawee with a team of New Zealand soldiers to undertake guerilla attacks, they reluctantly agree. But when the New Zealand soldiers disappear without a trace, the teenagers must once again fend for themselves, and decide once again whether to hide out or fight for their country.

Thoughts: This is the book where the emotional
Kaila
Oct 14, 2014 Kaila rated it liked it
Still eminently readable, but not quite as good as the previous books in this series. Ellie is basically suffering from PTSD for this entire book, so it is a lot more talking about how scared and tired everyone is. It was a lot more about how terrible war is, but our intrepid youngsters seemed less knowable then ever. There was a lot of narrative, explaining stuff, not very much conversation. It's hard to explain because that all seems to follow one another - of course they are unknowable now, l ...more
Adrielle
Jul 17, 2011 Adrielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I see a progression in characters here, they keep getting stronger, no matter what they have to face. In war time, this is an indisputable fact, you toughen up or you die. What you don't expect is one of your own, one on your side turns on you. Without spoiling anything, this happens to Ellie. At this stage I'm going to say I don't feel that this series is suitable for anyone under the age of 16 simply because there is the risk that anyone younger may think that the 'thing' I am talking about is ...more
Kandi
Jan 04, 2009 Kandi rated it really liked it
This story felt the slowest of the all so far, however I'm still loving the series. It was interesting to hear about how damaged they all were after their time in the prison camps. I don't think any of them realized how traumatized they actually were. They just kept living each day, never know when it would be their last. I'm really curious to see how the next book goes as they are now stuck back in the thick of the war.
Brooke
Jul 28, 2011 Brooke rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, survival, war
I just love this series. This installment is not as heart-wrenching as the previous, but still has it's rough and depressing moments. It does follow the same formula where the climax is the kids attacking the enemy in some way. For some reason, I don't tire of this plot line though. I think it's because of the realistic characters. Can't wait to read #5!
Cherie
Aug 28, 2015 Cherie rated it liked it
Shelves: series
The five are back on their own after the Kiwi soldiers vanish. Their mission in town fails but they manage to escape back into Hell. What next?
TheWerewolf'sBookworm
Jun 15, 2017 TheWerewolf'sBookworm rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This started off a little slow for me, when comparing it to the previous books, but it was still a great read.
This book is the one that actually introduces the new characters and has Ellie and her friends in a different country, at least for a little bit. I liked how it showed the differences of what the group was like before they got to New Zealand and when they went back to their country. This really showed how the characters have changed because they had time to process everything that they
Gillian Murrell
Jun 02, 2017 Gillian Murrell rated it really liked it
After 5 months in New Zealand Elle and her little gang are asked to go back to Wirrawee with a team of New Zealand soldiers. The Australians are to act as guides mostly as they know the terrain like the back of their hands. But nothing goes to plan in this book unlike previous books everything they trie fails. On their First mission they loose the New Zealanders then they decide to try and do some damage them selves.
Amanda
Jul 22, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Viedefun
Apr 10, 2016 Viedefun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
Encore une fois, je suis conquise par cette saga. Ce 4ème tome est particulier car il n'est plus une sorte de "huis-clos" uniquement constitué de notre groupe d'amis. Des personnages extérieurs et surtout alliés à leur cause interviennent momentanément. La seule chose que je déplore, c'est que l'identité du pays ennemi qui a maintenant colonisé l'Australie et mis en esclavage ses habitants n'est toujours pas révélée alors que nos héros passent plusieurs mois au début du livre hors des horreurs d ...more
Svenja
Feb 13, 2014 Svenja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nach ca. 15 Jahren traue ich mich endlich an die englischen Bücher ran, damit ich endlich erfahre, wie es mit Ellie und ihren Freunden weitergeht.

Während ich bei den ersten drei Bänden kaum Probleme hatte, weil ich sie auf deutsch fast in- und auswendig kann, hatte ich bei dem Teil dann doch manchmal Schwierigkeiten. Aber ich glaube, dass ich trotzdem alles verstanden habe.

Ich finde es gut, dass John Marsden die Freunde nicht wie Übermenschen aussehen lässt. Alle haben psychologische Blessuren
Boots
I feel like Darkness, Be My Friend is the weakest novel so far in an otherwise excellent series. I would still recommend the series on a whole but I hope the next novels are better than this one.

Some people might not have a problem with it but for me there were some issues with the plot that were so far fetched that it had a negative effect on the believability of the entire series, and I already had to stretch my imagination to begin with so that's not a good thing.

Also there was a reference t
Laurie
Jul 17, 2015 Laurie rated it it was ok
this book, #4 of the Tomorrow series, should have been incorporated into the story in either book 3 or book 5 of this series. If I had not been reading the series, I would have put the book down after the first couple of chapters. I truly see no valid reason to have a whole book, #4, segueing into another complete book. All this book does is link books 4 and 5. The only action is a muddled attempt to help the war cause for the Australians, and I don't believe it has to have a book to itself.
Tamarasoo
Apr 07, 2008 Tamarasoo rated it it was ok
this is the 4th in a YA series about a group of Aussie teens who come back from a camping trip in the outback to find that their country has been invaded and everyone else in their community has been taken prisoner. by book 4 the story is getting a little formulaic--the kids have been through hell, they attempt another act of sabotage against the enemy. but i have to keep reading all 7 to find out what finally happens in the end.
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
Marsden is a Fantastic writer! his characters are incredible and so real, the whole story feels like its really happened to Ellie and her friends.
Ellie is beautifully flawed that she just seems like a teenager you would meet in the street and i love that!

looking forward to getting my hands on the next book in this series :D
Z
Jun 07, 2009 Z rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Very nice, not only from an action point of view, but also psychologically. This isn't about the fighting so much as what it does to a person's mind. Also, wow. I'm not sure I like the New Zealand people so much.
Mersina Stark is a Bookwhoreasaurus
This installment did not have the same edge the previous 2 had.
Sara
Nov 16, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the previous three. It's more melancholy and there's less action to move the plot along. It's a nice stepping stone to the next one, though.
Amanda
All that and then the ending just fizzles (and was not surprising at all).
Caitlin
Oct 05, 2014 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Loved it!
Daisy
May 27, 2013 Daisy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the Tomorrow series a few years ago, after a family friend bought me the first book (original australian edition muhahahhahaha) after discovering my love of books. I fell in love with the characters, story and writing straight away - despite the leap that I'd just made into more sophisticated writing. I have to say, the last book, The Third Day The Frost, left me wondering how a sequel could better it - so I'm not surprised the Darkness Be My Friend didn't quite live up to my e ...more
  • The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2)
  • Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude Get a Life
  • Thunderwith
  • Looking for Alibrandi
  • People Might Hear You
  • A Rose for the ANZAC Boys
  • Uncanny! (Uncollected)
  • Galax-Arena
  • Genesis (The Rosie Black Chronicles, #1)
  • 48 Shades of Brown
See also: John Marsden.

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series, Tomorrow When The War Began, has been reprinted 26 times i
More about John Marsden...

Tomorrow (7 books)
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • The Dead of Night (Tomorrow, #2)
  • A Killing Frost (Tomorrow, #3)
  • Burning For Revenge (Tomorrow, #5)
  • The Night Is for Hunting (Tomorrow, #6)
  • The Other Side of Dawn (Tomorrow, #7)

“But it was my parents I longed for mostly. I wanted to be a little girl again and cuddle into them, wriggling in between them like I'd done in their bed when I was three or four, snug and warm in the safest place in the world.

Instead I had Hell.”
25 likes
“It's good to keep changing your mind. It shows you're thinking. I'll only stop changing my mind when I'm dead. And maybe not even then.” 24 likes