Start by marking “Take-Down: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw--By the Man Who Did It” as Want to Read:

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  302 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A world-renowned computer security expert gives his personal account of the thrilling and ingenius capture of the Internet's most notorious cyberthief--Kevin Mitnick--in a gripping drama which illuminates the good, the bad, and the ugly of the computer world. Photos.
Published February 1st 1996 by Hyperion Books (first published January 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Take-Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take-Down

Doug
I read this book because I'm a computer professional, and I was a big fan of the movie. But the book suffers from Tsutomu's lack of objectivity.

The story of the *movie* is: Silicon Valley hotshot learns deep and valuable life lessons while getting taken down a peg by a greasy computer genius.

The story of the *book* is: Poor Tsutomu. Even after co-opting the entire California academic computing community (without pay), the lowlife shittiness of Kevin Mitnick somehow allows him to evade capture. T
C M
ME ME ME ME
I
ME ME
MY MY MIIIINE

90% of the author patting himself on the back for being such an awesome human being, 10% interesting story about Mitnick's capture.
Nick Black
hehehe, so very self-serving. shimomura ought have focused more on his skillful work and less on his snowboarding and big pimpin'. what a douchebag.
Joe White
Review Takedown 8/11/14

Tsutomu Shimomura
4 stars; with serious reservations

If you can make it through the first half of this book, then the end does become more of a suspenseful thriller based loosely on facts. Tsutomu's arrogance and his revelations regarding personal preferences in food and recreation require a reader attention work-around. The issues with Julia and John Gilmore were a grating waste of paper. She must have brought something to the table for Tsutomu, but the reader may be shout
DutchWaG
I read the Dutch version of Takedown. Although it is an interesting story about the hunt for Kevin Mitnick, I was more interested in the technical aspects of the story then the writing. This may never become a classic or a top-10 book for me, but regarding hacking, social engineering and security related issues, this is a pretty okay book. Though I must say that I will still prefer The Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford Stoll!
Brian
Movie was better then book.
Muramura
Shimomura is just another egoistic duch. He thinks too great of himself as he went to Princeton, CALTECH, but that's because of his dad, not because of his own skill set and this book is a clean signature for it. Period.
Jamshid Faryar
This story is from the early days of the internet, reaching even farther back to the early days of personal computers... which made it interesting rather than out of date. Kevin Mitnick, the outlaw and villain in the story, is today a security consultant and author. The authors' accounts (in "layman's terms") of Tsutomu Shimomura's work and background (in neural network and parallel computing), sort of a curriculum vitae introducing the narrator, were interesting, and the chase (both on the inte ...more
Nak
This book was a fun read. Autobiographical point of view of the pursuer vs. the pursued. I read this quite a few years ago, what sticks out in my memory is Kevin Mitnick's condition when he was finally caught by the police (in sweats and he had to make a barf, cause it was really an intense point in his life.) and Mitnick's egging on of his pursuer ("Your kung fu is no good!")
As a computer nerd I really had fun on the adventure this book took me on! It's accessible with a minimal of technical te
Eight
I considered it as a good book when i read it almost 10 years ago. If you read it now you would probably see that the most interesting part is to read the various types of hack that mitnick did. The traditional method of password phising, dialtone playing to hack telephone system and how the internet was 10 ten years ago. Jargon and terms which some are becoming a nostalgic by today standards
David
Shimomura has a huge ego. It's plastered all over this book. You will never again see the term "ankle-biter" this many times in print (unless somebody publishes something called "Ankle-Bite!: An Ankle-Biter's Tale of Ankle-Biting").

If anyone reads this book, please count the number of times "ankle-biter" is used and give us the tally. Inquiring minds want to know!
Atul
As a techie I bought this book and read it 5 times.This book is amazing. What I liked best of this book is the sequence of events which have been nicely scripted. Shimomura tracked down Kevin not because he was responsible for breaking into Computers, but because of curiosity how Kevin managed to do this while evading everyone on the earth.

Great book.
Disa
A big fan of Kevin Mitnick, I wanted to read all I could, even the hyperbole. This book and film contained so many errors among the few facts they mustered that were true, most of this account has been utterly refuted by the FBI and Kevin himself.
Jeremy
I just saw an excerpt from Kevin Mitnick's new book and remembered reading Takedown many years ago. Very enjoyable. Some may not like the author's style, but if you are a geek, it will interest you at least some what.
Andy Chu
Good writing about an intrinsically interesting story. It wasn't too watered down for a non-technical audience.
Jim
Good book to understand the complications of fighting computer crime
James
Great read and cool that it is true.
Bogdan Muresan
Bogdan Muresan marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Tony Kotil
Tony Kotil marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Mike.mclain
Mike.mclain marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
  • The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick
  • Virtual Reality: The Revolutionary Technology of Computer-Generated Artificial Worlds-And How It Promises to Transform Society
  • Armed and Dangerous: The Hunt for One of America's Most Wanted Criminals
  • Crypto: How the Code Rebels Beat the Government--Saving Privacy in the Digital Age
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
  • Thieves of Baghdad: One Marine's Passion to Recover the World's Greatest Stolen Treasures
  • The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier
  • Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet
  • The Art of Intrusion: The Real Stories Behind the Exploits of Hackers, Intruders & Deceivers
  • The Puppetmaster: The Secret Life of J. Edgar Hoover
  • Takedown: The Fall of the Last Mafia Empire
  • Rebel Code: Linux And The Open Source Revolution
  • Dillinger's Wild Ride: The Year That Made America's Public Enemy Number One
  • Who Got Einstein's Office?: Eccentricity And Genius At The Institute For Advanced Study
  • Coroner
  • Weaving the Web: The Original Design and Ultimate Destiny of the World Wide Web
  • Hendrix: Setting The Record Straight
  • Patty Hearst: Her Own Story
Hackers Data Zonedie Hackerjagd Im Internet Contra-ataque: a história da captura do pirata cibernético mais procurado dos Estados Unidos Teikudaun Wakaki Tensai Nihonjingakusha Vs Chōōmono Hakkā Teikudaun Wakaki Tensai Nihonjingakusha Vs Chōōmono Hakkā