Start by marking “We Planted a Tree” as Want to Read:
We Planted a Tree

We Planted a Tree

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  260 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
We planted a tree and it grew up,

While it reached for the sky and the sun. . . .

In this simple poem illustrated by award winner Bob Staake, two young families in two very different parts of the world plant a tree. As the trees flourish, so do the families . . . while trees all over the world help clean the air, enrich the soil, and give fruit and shade.

With a nod to Kenya’
Published March 9th 2010 by Golden Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about We Planted a Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Planted a Tree

Kathryn
Jul 15, 2012 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice story about the importance of planting trees, how they help not only beautify our towns and cities but provide homes for wildlife and protect against soil erosion, etc. I enjoyed how the story showed people enjoying and caring for trees in a variety of cultures and locations around the world. Not my favorite style of illustrations but I appreciated all the diversity in both culture, nature and architecture they depicted. A good choice for Arbor Day.
Dolly
Apr 20, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a nice ode to a tree, with an environmental message that isn't too heavy-handed. It says that if we take care of and plant trees, they will help us in return, by providing us with oxygen, shade, wood, flowers, nuts and fruit. They nurture and anchor the soil and make the Earth a nice place to live. Allowing them to grow and flourish will give us a better future. The illustrations are whimsical and colorful and the narrative has a hopeful theme.
Kristen
Apr 27, 2010 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So lovely, and just right for kids to see "what's the big deal about trees?" Not didactic, it shows different families who plant trees and experience all the good that happens, from cool shade to fruit to soil conservation to cleaner air. Makes me want to, well, plant a tree!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Two families from different cultures and different parts of the world, plant a tree. Those trees grow and nourish not only the families but help the heal the world. The contrasting colors and hues seems to align with the comparison of the two growing families. I appreciate the author/illustrator duo paying a tribute to Kenya's Green Belt Movement. I was unaware of this movement and it is amazing how children's books can be used to educate children and adults about important issues here and over ...more
Heather
Aug 03, 2010 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the pictures, and I like that the environmental message comes through without being overbearing or preachy. It is just a fun, simple story.
Maggi Rohde
I loved the rhythm of the words and the detail in the pictures. It was sweet without being too cloying, and the message was just right for K-1. My six-year-old says, "I loved all the color."
Teddi
Apr 25, 2011 Teddi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
My 3 year old daughter and I really enjoyed reading this book and seeing the families in the book grow up. We found a lot of things to talk about through the illustrations on each page. I pointed out the families and how they were growing throughout the book just like trees were. I loved that the book was multicultural and it felt like the tree was symbolic for humanity and living well with the earth and each other...at least the way I read it to my daughter. She has asked me to read the book to ...more
Carol
I ordered the book from the library because Bob Staake did the illustrations and he was the one chosen to do the illustration the August 30th 2014 National Book Festival in Washington DC. http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/multimedi... He is also the author and illustrator of "Bluebird," a beautifully shared and illustrated story. "Bluebird" makes me a fan. The more I look at his illustrations, the more I enjoy them. He, like Mo Willems, makes his art accessible to kids...I could do that. More than any ...more
Tsuyu Ko
This book has very unique illustration. Two families both planted a tree and the story starts there. A tree help people to grow and provide a comfort zone. It is a simple poetry and very easy for little kids to understand.
Judy Desetti
This one is good for sharing in April for Earth Day. It gives a view of the purpose and importance of trees.I did not like the illustrations. I also thought it was a bit confusing as it jumped around the world showing various families planting trees. After two readings I understood better about how to use the book with students and explaining how people all over the planet plant trees for a variety of reasons.

However it got good reviews so maybe I am in the minority. what do you think?

School L
Haley
This is a cute story that looks at all the wonderful things that trees provide for us, even across cultures. Anything from food, to clean air, to pretty spring times are all things that come from trees.

I thought this book was really cool. My favorite part was that multiple cultures were included. It felt like we are united by trees in a way.

I would use this as a read aloud in my class and also it would be a solid earth day book.
Sandra Guerfi
This book takes a look at families planting trees in their backyards and neighborhoods and the benefits the trees provide them in return for taking care of them. It is a great book for teaching younger children exactly how important trees are to our everyday and long term survival. The illustrations are bright and colorful with an artistic flair that invites perusal.
Angela
Jun 15, 2016 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Bob staake. Fabulous illustrations that take you all over the world to different abodes and cities where people choose to live. So much detail I could spend many minutes just staring at all the fun in the pictures. Nice message and information about the importance of trees and their purpose in helping sustain life.
Kevin White
I informed my students that I had some books to read for Cocky. I told my students that Cocky wanted to know what books he should read to boys and girls. The students were absolutely thrilled to be apart of this adventure. They were very involved and engaged in the books and in the discussions regardings the things they liked or disliked about each book.

A lot of the students did not really enjoy this book. It did not appear that this book really captured their attention. I feel that there are so
Angela Hutchinson
In this book two families from different parts of the world decide to plant a tree. Over the years, the family grew and so did the tree. Trees are important to our planet because they provide food, oxygen, and enrich the soil. This would be a great book to read aloud to the students when trees are a topic in science.
Jocelin
Feb 27, 2016 Jocelin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A great story about how a tree was an inspiration for a celebration of generations. The illustrations were lively and colorful. It also tells the importance of trees and how they beautify earth's landscape.
Jul 28, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked the illustrations in this book and found the global, multicultural representations to be the strength of the story. The text, however, is a bit dry and I don't think it will capture young readers' attention.

While I believe that the idea that you can plant a tree to heal the world to be both narrow and misguided, We Planted a Tree goes beyond a simple idea to address the many environmental benefits of trees. I think that this book is best for students in K - grade 2; older student
Karen
Jul 05, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We Planted a Tree is a sweet story that is told through a gentle, lulling poem. Diane Muldrow manages to explain the benefits of trees without lecturing and in a way that is a delight to read out loud. And in a way that an active four-year-old boy can understand and enjoy.

Bob Staake illustrated this lovely poem-story, so that should automatically translate as the artwork in the is book is brilliant. If you are not familiar with Mr. Staake's work, it is brilliant; both as in colorful-brilliant an
Marilyn Olson
Apr 22, 2016 Marilyn Olson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book to read on earth day. This book tells the advantages of trees and how they help the earth.
Liza Gilbert
This book by Diane Muldrow and Bob Staake easily makes it on my list of books I'd recommend to every child and every adult, both because of its quality and its content. The book talks about what happens when a tree is planted and why it is important that we keep planting trees. Muldrow's text is catching, effective, and important without being heavy handed, and Staake's illustrations are gorgeous and fascinating. If you are looking for a good story to read to children, here you go. If you are lo ...more
Esodhiambo
Oct 08, 2015 Esodhiambo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tree
Seasons
Multicultural
Environmental

Primary grades
I planted a tree and ....
Vivian
Jul 01, 2011 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
If you wish to tell very young children why it is good to plant trees, what trees do for us, and how the planting of a tree connects us with people all over the world this would be the book to use. Children and adults alike can look for clues in the whimsical illustrations to "name the country, culture, or continent".
Emily
This book is about families all around the world that plant trees. The book explains that trees provide clean air, food, shade, and a home for animals. Planting a tree can heal the world and bring us all together in peace. This book would be a great multicultural book, as well as a good book to read around Earth Day.
Maritess
Dec 15, 2011 Maritess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Educational. Multicultural/global. Uses repeated phrasing to help emerging readers. And, my son likes it! He has repeatedly chosen it for reading time and there are only a few books that get that honour. If I were still homeschooling, this would be one of the rare children's books I'd consider buying.
Matthew
Apr 23, 2015 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a simple text about a tree and its impact on the people who planted it and the environment it inhabited. Really good, very short, and easily used as a scaffold for writing. I recommend this one, with its repetitive House That Jack Built structure. Really a nice piece of work.
Allyson Foster
Apr 25, 2011 Allyson Foster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, loved the poetry and the illustrations. A lovely book to read out aloud. A nice partner to " A tree is nice" P.S. my two year old is a bit bored by this one but he loves a tree is nice, I think it will grow in him.
Mary Train
Mar 17, 2010 Mary Train rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A new favorite book of mine. This story satisfies me on so many levels...great illustrations, multi-layer text, subtle multicultural element, pleasing sentiment. A really good one...buy it! It's a keeper.
Conni Strittmatter
I'm a sucker for books that teach environmental and social lessons - this does both! It shows multiple places in the world and how they benefit from planting a tree. I also love the use of repetition.
Susan
Mar 02, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Literacy skills:

Print motivation-wonderful pictures and a story about the cycle of life with intrigue children and have them wanting to read this story again.
Michelle
Aug 11, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book to my 3 year old cousin, and even managed to put in a mini history lesson on the different nationalities shown throughout the book.
  • Waiting for Winter
  • Once Upon a Northern Night
  • Princess Hyacinth: The Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • Mathilda and the Orange Balloon
Diane Muldrow grew up in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She later attended Ohio University, where she earned a Bachelor's Degree in Magazine Journalism and a Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts: Dance. After her graduation, Diane moved to New York. She spent several years performing as an actress and dancer in New York’s downtown avant-garde performance scene. She also danced in a performance at Lincoln Cen ...more
More about Diane Muldrow...