Start by marking “Decked” as Want to Read:
Decked

Decked (Regan Reilly Mystery #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  2,764 ratings  ·  136 reviews
The daughter of a successful mystery writer and a P.I. with pizzazz, Regan Reilly is attending her class reunion at St. Polycarp's England, when the long-dead body of her former roommate turns up under the bushes. It's a case Regan would love to solve, but a prior commitment puts her on a transatlantic cruise. She shouldn't have fretted. The clues to the crime are followin ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Decked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Decked

Sophie
After reading Zapped and Cursed, both of which I really enjoyed, I went back to this, the first Regan Reilly book. It's rare that I dislike a book so much that I don't finish it, but I realized I was wasting my time here when I was halfway through.

Decked has little of CHC's trademark humor, and it has no suspense. The plot was intriguing, but Carol's writing just dragged on and on... it seems like she took five pages to write what could have been said in two. If you're new to Carol Higgins Clark
Glenna
This first in a series was a fun read. I have read many books by this author's mother (Mary Higgins Clark) and I found this series to be more lighthearted than her mother's. I liked that.
Laura Ruetz
This is the perfect book for when you want to just sit and read something light and amusing. In this book we see Regan Reilly, P.I.who gets asked to escort an elderly lady during her cruise, as her traveling companion fell ill. Thus begins the trip of hilarious mis-steps and nightmares. The antics on the cruise nearly overshadow the danger that that two ladies are in, by a jewel thief and an assassin. This is fun book that reads quickly. The characters are entertaining, the writing is good and i ...more
Hannah
I have never read anything by either Mary Higgins Clark or Carol Higgins Clark and only knew of the former by reputation, so I came into this book with very little expectations. However, I still found myself a tad disappointed by Decked - there was a lot of promise of what it could have been, but the final product didn’t quite pull together. It’s not a bad read, however; merely an “all right” one.

This book felt like a combination of a modern thriller and a traditional British mystery. The openin
Christyn

Decked was okay - I mean it was likable enough but it didn't leave a particularly strong impression on me. Firstly, I figured out the whodunnit within the first quarter of the book. The assassin (and the partner), jewel thief and fortune hunter were all clear, the only part of the mystery I wasn't sure of was the why - but I pieced it together before the end of the book and the reveal. Secondly, Regan Reilly, for all her supposed expertise didn't do much detecting at all. She was just another c
Linda
Apr 23, 2009 Linda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Linda by: Betty - 3-9-09
Shelves: own
This is Carol Higgins Clark's first book. A friend gave me the book and I paid too much for it. I can't say this is the worst book I have ever read, but it is close. As an author, Carol Higgins Clark has fallen far from the tree. Her mother, Mary Higgins Clark is known as the Queen of Suspense. Carol isn't the Princess nor close to being the heir apparent.
Regan Reilly is a private detective in England for the tenth reunion of her class. The body of one of her classmates, who all thought had run
Natalie
Though I have read several of Mary Higgins Clark's mysteries, this is the first Carol Higgins Clark book I've read. I'm glad I started with the first Regan Reilly mystery (I get really annoyed when I accidentally jump into the middle of a series. Goodreads helps by giving me the handy dandy numbers for each book, even when the books don't always list what number book they are). Regan was a likable character and the plot was nice. I resisted looking in the back of the book (a habit I picked up ye ...more
Islam
This has been a pleasant light read. The storyline is lovely and easy to follow, the characters are rather simple and obvious, and the writer doesn't even try to make a convoluted storyline, just a simple "mystery" and a straightforward plot. The only downside is the the fact that it gets really crowded with characters in the beginning, but your investment in getting your head around all the characters will surely result in pleasant returns towards the end.
Debbie
"Decked" is a humorous mystery novel. The mystery was a who-done it that kept me guessing until about the same time as the detective figured it out. Several people with different motives wanted to be in or near Lady Exner's cabin, which built the suspense as each tried to achieve their goal and I wondered if any of them would mess up the others' plans. And, of course, there was the suspense of knowing someone was intending to kill Regan and Lady Exner--and they didn't realize their danger.

Some o
Carol
My sweet daughters started giving me one of these Christmas mysteries every Christmas. I drop everything and read it between Christmas and New Year's. Carol is a little cozier than her mom with some light humor, which is perfect for my Christmas read (Not a fast reader!) This first one is a great mystery where we learn to love Regan Reilly and her family.
Daniel Groth
While I have enjoyed the books in the Regan Reilley series by Carol Higgins Clark. I didn't particularly care for this one. this was the first book. The others I have read have been really good. So I know that they get better the more she writes them. I am going to read the 2nd book next.
Gail
The first Regan Reilly mystery. Regan returns to England for the 10th anniversary of her college year abroad. While she was there, ten years ago, her roommate, Athena disappeared. During this visit, Athena's body is discovered. Regan would have like to stay and continue her investigation but she is hired by the nephew of a wealthy woman to escort the eccentric octogenarian on an Atlantic boat crossing. By coincidence, Regan's famous author mother is also on the cruise.

By weaving together variou
Allison
This was a fun, easy read. The characters were over-the-top and a lot of fun and the mystery was not too complicated for me to solve. I am looking forward to reading more of Carol Higgins Clark's books.
Megan
It's your basic who-done it type mystery. It also happens to have been my first Carol Higgins Clark that I've read. I don't feel like it was very "noteworthy" so to speak. It's not something I would re-read nor is it a favorite. If you want a quick and easy read then this is what you want.
The plot wasn't to bad, had maybe one or two twists you may not expect which is always a good thing. Although it didn't hold much suspense I still enjoyed the story overall.
The characters were average, and enj
LJ
DECKED - Poor
Clark, Carol Higgins - 1st book

The daughter of a successful mystery writer and a P.I. with pizzazz, Regan Reilly is attending her class reunion at St. Polycarp's, England, when the long-dead body of her former roommate turns up under the bushes. It's a case Regan would love to solve, but a prior commitment puts her on a transatlantic cruise.

She shouldn't have fretted. The clues to the crime are following her on the Queen Guinevere. Here, on a ship awash with secret lovers, a fortune
Erin
I've read all but 3 books in this series, thanks to my library. It may be a small one but they had most of these. I really enjoyed the sense of humor in them and while I liked some of the books more than the other, I'm giving an average 3* to all of them. There was some stuff in them I didn't like, when the characters participated in a seance. But overall she kept me guessing as to who the murderer was and her writing style has improved from the 1st novel, written in the early 90s, until the 11t ...more
Lani Lenore
This is just a short review for now: Though I found much of this book enjoyable, I didn't think the actual mystery aspect of this MYSTERY was very strong. Pretty much knowing who the killer is throughout much of the book did not give me a lot of the drive to finish it out, and I found myself without too much need to finish out the last several pages. Also, I suppose I prefer my sleuths to be of the super variety, and Regan Reilly often didn't seem very aware for a PI. However, in that way, she w ...more
Christine
A quick and fun read for when you need a break from more serious books.
Tonya
This is a quick, easy, and very entertaining mystery with a lot of humor.
Amber
I at Christmas times always read Carol Higgins Clark and Mary Higgins Clark christmas books. So I decided to go back to Carol Higgins Clark's very first book and start to read all of them. I just LOVE her books. They are mysteries, but they always seem to capture me. They are based on the same character, but different stories. I loved this book and am looking forward to reading all of them.
The one thing I love about not only Carol Higgins Clark books, but also Mary Higgins Clark, is that the ch
Judy Smith
I really enjoyed this book. Good introduction of characters.
Amber
This book wasn't boring, but was a little bit of a slow read. Also, I didn't really like any of the characters in this book.
Maria
Fun read, like watching an afternoon murder mystery on TV.
Jessica Imbleau
Enjoyed the story of being secluded and finding a mystery.
Alice
This is Carol Higgins Clark's first book and also my first by her (no surprise there since I love to read authors' series in the order they are written!). I found out that her mysteries are, happily, quite different from those her mother writes. I found this book to be a light, campy delight--a combination of episodes of "The Love Boat" and "Murder She Wrote." I must have been in the mood for this kind of book because I can easily see my self not enjoying this kind of book at another time. Somet ...more
Lauren
An enjoyable read. Nothing new here, just a good old fashioned whodunit. Easy and quick to read, with enjoyable characters and a well-paced plot. Good lazy Sunday reading.

(If this review seems familiar, that's because I had a goodreads account before that I'm copying my previous reviews from. Why did I create a new account, you ask? Well, because when I logged out of that account and then logged back in, I find that that account appears not be linked to any of my known email addresses, so I'm st
Jenni
Quick, clean and easy read.
Sandy
Typical detective story. Easy to read. Clear storyline. Realistic and reasonable story.

I don't know about this author or her mother. I just want to read a novel about cruise when I came across this book.
I love that it is a fast pace story, well developed. I love Regan character. She is calm and smart, not annoying. The mystery is realistic and reasonable.

One thing that I don't like is terrible italian names for supporting characters. No real italian family would name their kids Immaculata, Conce
Amy Renfrow
This book was very interesting to me because I had first read Laced instead of Decked. So I went to the local library and checked it and started to read it and did not put it down until bedtime. If you like a good 'whodunit' then this is a good story. Carol wrote an amazing story of a young woman, Reagan, who is on a cruise with a family friend or aunt I really can't remember which because it has been a couple of years since I have read it. But imagine being on a moving crime scene and not knowi ...more
Teresa B
Apr 01, 2010 Teresa B rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Shelves: mystery
When private investigator Regan Reilly attends a reunion with her best friend, Kit, none of the attendees expected to find themselves in the middle of a ten year old murder investigation. The mystery then follows her aboard an ocean liner while she travels as companion to the eccentric Englishwoman, Lady Exner.

GREAT portrayal of characters, suspenseful and tricky plot, and loads of humorous moments make this a great read. It is the 1st of the Regan Reilly mysteries, and I plan to try them all!
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Candy Apple Red (Jane Kelly, #1)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Double Black (A Ski Diva Mystery, #1)
Carol Higgins Clark (1956– ) is an American mystery author. She is also the daughter of author Mary Higgins Clark , with whom she has co-authored novels, and the former sister-in-law of author Mary Jane Clark.

Born in New York City, Clark received her B.A. from Mount Holyoke College in 1978 and then studied acting at the Beverly Hills Playhouse. She is the author of the Regan Reilly mystery series.
More about Carol Higgins Clark...
Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9) Snagged (Regan Reilly Mystery, #2) Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3) Laced (Regan Reilly Mystery, #10) Zapped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #11)