Bootleg

Bootleg

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  22 reviews

No more chocolate! What? It is the new century and the government in power is called the Good For You Party. Do they really know best when it comes to health policies, closing down all the burger bars and chip shops in the country?

Through the introduction of so-called healthy snacks and re-education programmes, the Good For You Party is striving to build a happier and heal

Published July 4th 2003 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Bootleg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bootleg

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
284th out of 602 books — 298 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene CatlingSuperfudge by Judy BlumeThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleySweet Danger by Margery Allingham
Candy Store
42nd out of 132 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Scotty Bell
Jun 11, 2014 Scotty Bell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Scotty by: Heather Smith
i borrowed this book from a friend as it sounded funny and it really was i enjoyed it immensely.
it was a very light read and had a very interesting plot.
Somerandom
Ahh the innocence of youth. Back when the worst thing imaginable was having no chocolate and having people treat it like prohibition liquor or hard drugs seemed appropriate if it were banned.

I don't really remember the book that much, but as a child I did eagerly watch all episodes of a mini series based off it. I could never figure out if it was a British show or an Australian made show. It was filmed in London, with one or two British accents, but most of the cast were Australian. Odd.

In any c...more
Katie Sew
Literally read this 4 years ago and I still love the memory of it... Still love chocolate as much as I love this book
Julie
What would life be like if the new government made it against the law to eat chocolate?

Forcibly improving the health of the citizens of Britain, the newly elected Good For You Party bans chocolate and makes the consumption of fruit and vegetables compulsory. Then best friends Smudger and Huntley find a hidden stash of ingredients to make chocolate. Their underground chocolate-making business flourishes.

Then one of them is arrested.

I have been thinking of making a new shelf for this book: Choco...more
Amreen
This book was fantastic! It was hilarious and I totally loved the characters. One of the main reasons why I connect with this book so much is because I have a major obsession to chocolate.. so when I read the chocolate was being banned I was really angry. I could really relate to the characters moods and feelings and I felt like that it was me in the story instead of them. A major plus point is that the book is really funny and you'll laugh out loud (I swear!) while reading it!! xx
Cheryl Hall
I vaguely remembered a BBC serial based on this book that screened around 10 years ago and so sought out the novel.

It was quite an enjoyable read for a children's book.
Georgia
This is an amazing book! I loved every minute in reading it, and I recommend it highly to EVERYONE!!! It's about a world where chocolate and sugar are all banned and you face time in prison by having it with you or by eating it. The officials have this radar that can detect chocolate. So what happens when two boys get up to mischief by making their own chocolate, and secretly selling it to the public? Read the book!
Book Reviewer's
This is a great book. I found out about this book through a novel study at school. I absolutely loved it! This book inspired me to write books of my own. Back to the review. I rate this 4/5. The start is great but the end is a bit too politicy. If you know what I mean. Anyway great book, I would recommend this to people who love chocolate, are addicted chocolate and ARE CRAZY FOR CHOCOLATE.
Khairul H
Kinda Funny at times because it is kinda stupid to band chocolate.i wouldn't survive without chocolate. This book would probably describe what would happen to you if you didn't have any chocolate. Definitely i would recommend this book to people who couldn't survive without chocolate.Very Good even if your an adult
Neriah
Childhood favourite! Ah, the days when I thought the worst thing in the world was having no chocolate oh wait I still do oops recommended for a cute story about chocolate being treated as meth by twelve year olds.
Sydney
It's a great book of what I remember the last time I read it... When i found the book again I tried reading it but was confused.... It was a great book but I hadn't finished it :( now I gotta start all over again
Skye Des
Chocolate? Check. Illegal stuff? Check. Revolutionary theme? Check. Aweome cover (there's a "best before" date at the back of the book... so real, right?) Check. Therefore, this is an awesome book.
Emyrose8
The book started out amazing... and then it got way more political, so it got bumped down to 4 stars. I really needed some chocolate after reading this book.
TMJ
Can you imagine-the pain of it. Having to live without chocolate. What would you do if the Government suddenly banned it? Fun read.
Samantha cook
Just imagine living without chocolate!! what would you do??
find out how they do it without being caught!!
Mrs Child
David Gillespie the author of 'Sweet Poison' would enjoy this read!!
MissStan
I love this book! Imagine if we lived in a world with no chocolate???
Sage (the Mage)
The end was just... so dull. But the rest was good!
I love this book! i read it ages ago!
Rebecca J
Childhood favourite.
Helena
Awesome book
Ramón Úbeda
Ramón Úbeda marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Alex Shearer started his writing career as a scriptwriter and has had great success in that field. His credits include The Two of Us, the 1990s sitcom starring Nicholas Lyndhurst. More recently he has started writing for children. His Wilmot stories have been adapted for TV by Yorkshire television, and his children's novel, The Greatest Store in the World, was screened as a feature length TV film...more
More about Alex Shearer...
Canned The Great Blue Yonder The Stolen Sea Legs The Hunted