Start by marking “Bootleg” as Want to Read:
Bootleg

Bootleg

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  300 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews

No more chocolate! What? It is the new century and the government in power is called the Good For You Party. Do they really know best when it comes to health policies, closing down all the burger bars and chip shops in the country?

Through the introduction of so-called healthy snacks and re-education programmes, the Good For You Party is striving to build a happier and heal

Published July 4th 2003 by Macmillan Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Bootleg, please sign up.

Prabhleen You can't read books on GoodReads, you can only review and comment about the book here '_' II know it is bad that we can't read books on GoodReads :(
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
332nd out of 727 books — 360 voters
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlChocolat by Joanne HarrisLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelThe Chocolate War by Robert CormierLove of Chocolate by Nicholas Reardon
Chocolate Covered Fiction
119th out of 119 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Scotty Bell
Jun 11, 2014 Scotty Bell rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Scotty by: Heather Smith
i borrowed this book from a friend as it sounded funny and it really was i enjoyed it immensely.
it was a very light read and had a very interesting plot.
Somerandom
Aug 04, 2014 Somerandom rated it really liked it
Ahh the innocence of youth. Back when the worst thing imaginable was having no chocolate and having people treat it like prohibition liquor or hard drugs seemed appropriate if it were banned.

I don't really remember the book that much, but as a child I did eagerly watch all episodes of a mini series based off it. I could never figure out if it was a British show or an Australian made show. It was filmed in London, with one or two British accents, but most of the cast were Australian. Odd.

In any c
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I really wanted to enjoy this book more than I did. I thought the concept was great - I just had some suspention of disbelief issues. It seems totaly unrealistic to me for modern day Britain to vote in a political party whose biggest selling point is getting rid of sugar. Its not just that - the Good For You party was inconsistant. Why is fruit, which is loaded with sugar ok, but natual honey isn't? It makes no sense.

I think that had the story begun with a different pretense I would have been be
Katie Sew
Aug 26, 2014 Katie Sew rated it it was amazing
Literally read this 4 years ago and I still love the memory of it... Still love chocolate as much as I love this book
Hamish Taylor
May 20, 2015 Hamish Taylor rated it really liked it
It's an Orwellian Dystopia where chocolate is banned, what kind of cruel hell is this? <3
Fen
Jun 06, 2016 Fen rated it really liked it
YUMMY! - Love the front cover!
Rachael Levitan
Mar 25, 2016 Rachael Levitan rated it it was amazing
Classic early teen/preteen literature
Artemisia
Jun 02, 2015 Artemisia rated it really liked it
Awsome chocolate story...
Julie
Feb 16, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
What would life be like if the new government made it against the law to eat chocolate?

Forcibly improving the health of the citizens of Britain, the newly elected Good For You Party bans chocolate and makes the consumption of fruit and vegetables compulsory. Then best friends Smudger and Huntley find a hidden stash of ingredients to make chocolate. Their underground chocolate-making business flourishes.

Then one of them is arrested.

I have been thinking of making a new shelf for this book: Choco
Omar
Nov 03, 2015 Omar rated it it was amazing
its amazing
Amreen
Mar 25, 2012 Amreen rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! It was hilarious and I totally loved the characters. One of the main reasons why I connect with this book so much is because I have a major obsession to chocolate.. so when I read the chocolate was being banned I was really angry. I could really relate to the characters moods and feelings and I felt like that it was me in the story instead of them. A major plus point is that the book is really funny and you'll laugh out loud (I swear!) while reading it!! xx
Maitha AlFalasi
Nov 04, 2014 Maitha AlFalasi rated it liked it
In a society where chocolate and all forms of sweets (artificial/natural) have been banned, two boys find a secret recipe and hidden ingredients that leads to a bootlegging business.
Cheryl Hall
Jul 15, 2014 Cheryl Hall rated it liked it
I vaguely remembered a BBC serial based on this book that screened around 10 years ago and so sought out the novel.

It was quite an enjoyable read for a children's book.
Georgia
Nov 20, 2012 Georgia rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book! I loved every minute in reading it, and I recommend it highly to EVERYONE!!! It's about a world where chocolate and sugar are all banned and you face time in prison by having it with you or by eating it. The officials have this radar that can detect chocolate. So what happens when two boys get up to mischief by making their own chocolate, and secretly selling it to the public? Read the book!
Book Reviewer's
Jun 12, 2013 Book Reviewer's rated it really liked it
Shelves: originals
This is a great book. I found out about this book through a novel study at school. I absolutely loved it! This book inspired me to write books of my own. Back to the review. I rate this 4/5. The start is great but the end is a bit too politicy. If you know what I mean. Anyway great book, I would recommend this to people who love chocolate, are addicted chocolate and ARE CRAZY FOR CHOCOLATE.
Khairul H
Nov 23, 2011 Khairul H rated it really liked it
Kinda Funny at times because it is kinda stupid to band chocolate.i wouldn't survive without chocolate. This book would probably describe what would happen to you if you didn't have any chocolate. Definitely i would recommend this book to people who couldn't survive without chocolate.Very Good even if your an adult
Neriah
Sep 14, 2013 Neriah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
Childhood favourite! Ah, the days when I thought the worst thing in the world was having no chocolate oh wait I still do oops recommended for a cute story about chocolate being treated as meth by twelve year olds.
Sydney
Jun 04, 2013 Sydney rated it liked it
It's a great book of what I remember the last time I read it... When i found the book again I tried reading it but was confused.... It was a great book but I hadn't finished it :( now I gotta start all over again
Skye Des
Sep 09, 2009 Skye Des rated it really liked it
Chocolate? Check. Illegal stuff? Check. Revolutionary theme? Check. Aweome cover (there's a "best before" date at the back of the book... so real, right?) Check. Therefore, this is an awesome book.
Emyrose8
May 30, 2013 Emyrose8 rated it really liked it
The book started out amazing... and then it got way more political, so it got bumped down to 4 stars. I really needed some chocolate after reading this book.
TMJ
Mar 17, 2008 TMJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Can you imagine-the pain of it. Having to live without chocolate. What would you do if the Government suddenly banned it? Fun read.
Samantha cook
Sep 24, 2007 Samantha cook rated it really liked it
Just imagine living without chocolate!! what would you do??
find out how they do it without being caught!!
Mrs Child
Jan 27, 2011 Mrs Child rated it liked it
David Gillespie the author of 'Sweet Poison' would enjoy this read!!
MissStan
Jan 23, 2012 MissStan rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Imagine if we lived in a world with no chocolate???
May 03, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I love this book! i read it ages ago!
Rebecca J
Helena
Apr 14, 2012 Helena rated it it was amazing
Awesome book
Quang Phan
Quang Phan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Josefin
Josefin rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
  • Rice without Rain
  • Operation Red Jericho (The Guild of Specialists,  #1)
  • Stuck in the Mud
  • Jim Ugly
  • Drowning Towers
  • Moyasimon: Tales of Agriculture, Volume 1
  • The Enemy: A Book About Peace
  • If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, Don't!
  • Trapped
  • 6X: The Uncensored Confessions (6X, #1)
Alex Shearer started his writing career as a scriptwriter and has had great success in that field. His credits include The Two of Us, the 1990s sitcom starring Nicholas Lyndhurst. More recently he has started writing for children. His Wilmot stories have been adapted for TV by Yorkshire television, and his children's novel, The Greatest Store in the World, was screened as a feature length TV film ...more
More about Alex Shearer...