Start by marking “Fallen (Fallen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fallen (Fallen, #1)

Fallen (Fallen #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  287,912 ratings  ·  14,354 reviews
There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.
Published December 8th 2009 by Delacorte Press (first published 2009)

The Iron King by Julie KagawaBaby by J.K. AccinniCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Series I Want to Read
28th out of 573 books — 636 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Darker by E.L. JamesFifty Shades Freed by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. Stephens
Best Love Story
121st out of 915 books — 1,390 voters

More lists with this book...

Penny
First off, I'd have given this book zero stars were it possible, but since it isn't I gave it one star. This book is full of fail, end of story. There is no other way to describe this book, really.

That's a lie. There is another way to describe how bad this book is. Take everything that sucked about the Twilight series and multiply that by any number (except zero. Or one. Or any negative number. Aw, crap, you know what I mean). Because really, this book is a bad version of Twilight except with f
Kat Kennedy
Dec 04, 2013 Kat Kennedy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one. Ever. For any reason other than to teach them how NOT to write.
"In this lifetime you're nothing more than you appear to be: a stupid, selfish, ignorant, spoiled little girl who thinks the world lives or dies on whether she gets to go out with some good-looking boy at school. Even if your death wouldn't accomplish something so long-awaited, glorious, and grand, I'd still relish this moment, killing you."

I'm sorry, was I supposed to agree with absolutely everything the evil villain said and wait, with baited breath, for her to kill Lucinda Price painfully on
Haleema
There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Very true. I think I've got it. Of course this is simply a guess.
[image error]

Oh, I'm right after all. What a surprise.

I'm going to start all the way from the beginning just like how I did with M...m...m...m...m... Marked *shudders while typing it*

*looks at the cover*

description

Hmm. That's nice. Another incredibly emo but gorgeous-looking cover, and---

GGGGGGAAAAAAHHHHHH!

description

It's her again! It's that dreadful witch! At the top! It's too small to see, but
Demo
[WARNING: Insanity ahead. And a few spoilers, but no one cares about those.]

Circus Princess: Hello, everyone, and welcome to episode 2 of What the Hell Were You Thinking?! Tonight's guests are a special treat: Luce Price, Daniel Grigori, and Gabbe.... Something!

[Applause]

Daniel: [just sits there scowling]

Luce: [trying to hide in her curtain of hair]

Gabbe: [waving excessively] HOWADAY Y'ALL!!!! AHM GAHYABAY!! NAHCE TO MAEET Y'ALL!!!! [Translation: Hello everyone. I am Gabbe. Nice to meet all of
Kira
Annalisa
Mar 19, 2010 Annalisa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls who want sexual tension without substance and don't mind being kept in the dark
Recommended to Annalisa by: Annie
Reading this book was like walking through fog, or to pull description from the book, with black shadows blocking my view of everything, only it's not the black shadows that got in my way but the MC, Luce, and the author, Kate. I have no idea what the school looked like (no more that a glimpse of this and that) or what the characters were like (same thing, just glimpses that don't add up to anything) or even what was going on in any of the action scenes because a) Luce doesn't notice anything ex ...more
sunset shimmer
A more formal review of this book is on my blog which is still new. xD Check it out!

Updated: March 9th, 2012.

Also everyone, click here. *sigh* A fucking movie. Just what I needed.

Luce.

Lucinda. Fucking. Price.

You'd still stalk a guy even after he flipped you off when you first locked eyes with him? Even if he told you STRAIGHT IN THE FACE that he didn't want ANYTHING to do with you.

Why? Just...why?

I mean, he's hot. I get it. But what the fuck about Daniel Grigori is even remotely close to sweet?
Zara
This book is fucked
Lyndz
I didn’t like this book the first time I read it, when it was called Twilight.
Hayden Casey
THEY FALL IN LOVE IN TWO DAYS.

Steph Sinclair
Boring, lacking interesting characters, boring, terrible love interest, Bella Swan, boring. There are so many things I could rant about the 30% that I read, but instead I shall review this is one gif.

photo baddecision_zps7e121ea0.gif
Meghan
*This review has some spoilers for plot!*

Just as vampires are becoming old hat in YA literature, angels have swooped in to take their place in the pantheon of paranormal romance heroes--who knew? I was rather dubious of the whole trend (and still am), but boy, do I love me some Old Testament crazy, so I thought, "Let's see what they do with this." Even with my low expectations, I found this disappointing!

We begin with Daniel Grigori (whose last name gives the whole thing away if you know your s
Elle

UPDATE: In celebration of my good friend Saha joining GoodReads I am re-posting my review of Fallen.

**********************************

So...

Who else was sucked in to this one by the cover?

Actually, Fallen was recommended to me by a friend who had almost had a conniption whilst telling me how 'spectacular' it was. And because I value this particular friend to the highest possible degree I assumed she would never subject me to anything that would fill me with the desire to RIP MY OWN BRAIN CELLS O
Arlene
There's nothing I dislike more than a book that's just downright boring with less than intriguing characters. Oh wait, silly me, yes there is! I can't stand this new trend of shoving shallow storylines into needless series and trying to hook the reader with an annoying cliffhanger. Not right IMHO. This book came across as an incomplete story, where there were many questions left unanswered, and done so in such a sloppy manner that they came across as plot holes. For me, this book was a mental eq ...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
I was really excited about reading Fallen, the cover is absolutely gorgeous and I just had to have it! Luckily I received an ARC, thanks to Random House Children's Books. This is another book that has had a lot of hype recently and, as with Hush Hush, it had a lot to live up to. I have read negative as well as positive reviews, so I went in with a completely open mind, and I wasn't disappointed.

The story starts out a little slow at the beginning and not a lot really happens in the way of action
Thomas
Fallen is one of those books that should not be judged by its cover. Despite the alluring, ambiguous plot promised by the book jacket, this book fell flat in way too many areas.

The story is about Lucinda Price, who is sent to Sword and Cross boarding school after being suspected of arson. She also claims to have seen shadows stalking her, which only adds to the paranoia people presume of her. There, she meets some nice friends - but no one compares to the attractive and mysterious Daniel Grigori
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a tricky book to review, for a very simple reason: I did not know what this book was about, or what kind of book it was, when I started reading it, and the slow reveal made for a pleasurable, interactive reading experience. So, I'm torn. On the one hand, I want others to have the same experience, which would mean I would have to keep mum about the plot etc. On the other hand, I really really want to talk about what actually happens. See? Torn.

I admit, unashamedly, that I bought this book
Anila
EDIT: Forgot to add original half-started review at the end. Fixed!

Some time back I postulated on Facebook that all YA PNRs were trying to be the Doctor and Rose, and that they were all failing miserably. I never meant that idea to make it into a review, and yet... well, here we are, aren't we? So welcome to a review in which I use Doctor Who to explain this burgeoning genre in general, and Fallen in particular. Even if you don't know the show, it should be fairly cogent.

Let's start with the 'wh
kristina
This book was a bit comfusing for me. The first half of the book was a little boring but the other half was very interesting.I dont know why but for the first time in my life I was annoyed by the 3rd person POV.

Luce

Luce is new to the "Sword and Cross" school and everything is so much different than she expected to be. From the fisrt time she lays her eyes on him she has this weird feeling that she already knows him.

Daniel

He made it clear from the very first moment
STAY AWAY FROM ME

And there is a
jo mo

the main character was incredibly boring, annoying and flat. (the others too, actually, but let's stick with the main character to get to the point)

every few pages lucinda had to tell us how strong and mighty daniel was, how fascinating his hair was and how hurt and excited she felt, if daniel didn't even deign to look at her. let me quote from the book's only (sometimes) likeable character, penn (- yes, it was that bad):

“my point is,” luce said finally, “i’m not so superficial that all i’m lo
SKB
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Horrible. Just horrible and unreadable. That is all.
Steph Su
If FALLEN is the future of YA supernatural fiction, then I fear for this genre. FALLEN is painfully dull and slow, with very little besides the concept of fallen angels and the suggestion of an impossible romance to recommend it to readers.

If the plot of FALLEN were to race a glacier, the glacier would win. From the moment Luce arrives at Sword & Cross, the plot feels like it’s always tripping over its own feet in order to explain itself, and to no avail. I don’t mind a gradually building pl
Lina
Mel
Mar 07, 2011 Mel rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochists who enjoy men who treat them like shit
I know that constant cussing makes a critical review look immature and unintelligent... but you know what? FUCK that. A disgusting, awful, jackass-glorifying book like this deserves to be cussed out, especially after I sat through most of it.

And I'm going to cuss this book out, in the style of the 'Fuck you' speech from 25th hour. And I don't care how stupid my review is going to look.

FUCK THIS MOTHERFUCKING BOOK.

Fuck this book, with writing and plot that is so dry that you literally feel deh
Joyzi
Oct 25, 2010 Joyzi rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind worthless books
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
Don't Judge Me.

I really wanted to like the book. I really do. However I was really disappointed. Maybe it was due to:

a)awful writing
b)cheesy dialogues
c)annoying characters
d)unbelievable mix of plots from Twilight, Hush Hush and Evermore

or

e) all of the above

*sigh*

It was just OKAY for me so I gave it 2 stars. It's just that the whole book is pretty damn boring and I really don't get it (the whole shadow thing and the war thing).

I don't know maybe I'm abnormal or whatever, because my friend reall
Vicki
I curse the day I ever set eyes on this book. I'll tell you why: it's just a confirmation of how horrible crap with hollow characters just gets churned out like crazy in this country. It's like these dreadfully boring, insipid or just flat out awful characaters exist just to have the personality of the reader transposed into them. To me, this is dangerous.

But, back to this book, specifically: The plot is confusing, irritating, and ridiculous. There are angels, somehow trapped in a crap reform sc
Misty
I'd been hesitant to read this one. On the one hand, it has a beautiful cover and I'd heard a lot of omging raves about it. On the other, I have yet to read an angel book I liked, and I never really trust the OMGers of the world...
(sorry. sort of.)

When I first started it, I thought maybe this was the angel book that was going to break the mold and live up to what it promised -
And then Luce met Daniel.

And all of the GRR ARGHs in me came out.
Lissa
Aik Chien 인첸
Fallen has a promising start - it's dark, mysterious and has a Gothic charm. But somehow, the author fails to present the story well enough to hold my attention. Luce was a teenager who seems normal but actually not. She was sent to Sword & Cross because of an accident that took her (boy)friend's life. I was expecting some explanation about how the fire happened, but the author never satisfy my curiousity. There was no explanation about the other fire accident that happened when Luce was at ...more
Love It or Hate It??? 23 102 Dec 27, 2014 03:48AM
Crazy for Young A...: Fallen (Fallen #1) by Lauren Kate → Start Date: December 6, 2014 14 34 Dec 22, 2014 01:54AM
Rossetti Semester...: 5 internal and 5 external 2 3 Dec 07, 2014 06:04PM
Rossetti Semester...: Characterization 1 3 Dec 01, 2014 02:20PM
Rossetti Semester...: Connection 1 2 Nov 26, 2014 12:20PM
Rossetti Semester...: Theme 1 1 Nov 26, 2014 11:12AM
  • Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)
  • Aerie and Reckoning (The Fallen, #3-4)
  • Evercrossed (Kissed by an Angel, #4)
  • Sweep: Volume 1 (Sweep, #1-3)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • Entice (Need, #3)
  • Immortal (Immortal, #1)
  • Enticed (The Violet Eden Chapters, #2)
  • Angelfire (Angelfire, #1)
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
  • Gone (Dream Catcher, #3)
  • The Van Alen Legacy (Blue Bloods, #4)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
Lauren Kate grew up in Dallas, went to school in Atlanta, and started writing in New York.
She is the author of Fallen and The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove. She lives in Laurel Canyon with her husband and hopes to work in a restaurant kitchen, get a dog, and learn how to surf.
She is currently at work on the sequel to Fallen.
More about Lauren Kate...
Torment (Fallen, #2) Passion (Fallen, #3) Rapture (Fallen, #4) Fallen in Love (Fallen, #3.5) Teardrop (Teardrop, #1)

11 trivia questions
28 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?” 1329 likes
“Trust is a careless pursuit at best. At worst, it's a good way to get yourself killed.” 1093 likes