Start by marking “Gone (Alex Delaware, #20)” as Want to Read:
Gone (Alex Delaware, #20)

Gone (Alex Delaware #20)

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  8,797 Ratings  ·  347 Reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Jonathan Kellerman's Guilt.

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

Missing acting students Dylan and Michaela are found in the remote mountains of Malibu, battered and terrified after a harrowing ordeal at the hands of a sadistic abductor. But forensic evidence soon exposes the incident as a hoax, and the kids are charged as criminals them
Published March 28th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.

Tina Christiansen While the stories can stand on their own, you will enjoy them much more if you read them in order. The relationships between characters develops…moreWhile the stories can stand on their own, you will enjoy them much more if you read them in order. The relationships between characters develops overtime and is extremely well done, things that happen in earlier books influence reactions in later ones, and it's a lot more fun to follow along in their lives. (less)

Terri
Nov 09, 2011 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, crime-thriller
I struck it lucky here. Kellerman's strength is his dialogue and the books I like best are those ones with strong dialogue. A near perfect match I would say.
It has been many years since I was right into this Alex Delaware series and that brought me to GONE with fresh eyes. Maybe this helped to appreciate the book more.
It did nothing wrong by my tastes. Good plot, great pair of main characters who work well off each other, Delaware and Sturgis, humorous, very humorous, not too much rambling or fo
aPriL does feral sometimes
Let the party begin! Break out the snow globes? Number 20 in the Delaware series begins with the usual red herrings, bizarre suspects and perhaps the return of Robin (exit Allison)!

Dr. Alex Delaware, psychologist sleuth, is once again partnering with Milo Sturgis, Los Angeles police detective, in solving a tricky icky case of serial murder, although, at first, nobody is certain that is what is happening.

Dylan Meserve and Michaela Brand seem to vanish from the world. Three days later, the would-b
Jen
Alex is asked by the courts to evaluate a young girl who helped plan an elaborate kidnapping hoax. When she turns up dead after her session with Alex, Alex and Milo investigate the case. Suddenly there are many aspiring actors turning up missing and the duo must find where they are disappearing to. In the meantime, Robin reappears in Alex's life. This caper was fun, but it followed the usual course of a Kellerman mystery - Alex and Milo theorizes for 80% of the book and then finally come to the ...more
Kristen
Aug 19, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, serial-mystery, 2011
This is another great Alex Delaware mystery by Jonathan Kellerman. When two drama students turn up missing, it's ends up a hoax. When they're later do turn up missing, it's up to Alex and the police to pick up the pieces of their lives, with eclectic cast of characters, including the Dowds. When other cold cases turn up with missing people, they wonder if it's connected to the same crime or not. Not only that, Alex's relationship with Robin gets closer, when winds up hurt by a disgruntled psycho ...more
Linda
Aug 17, 2010 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
A pair of young, would-be movie stars, Michaela and Dylan, stage a publicity stunt, hoping to garner attention and film offers. Both attend the drama school run by a wealthy, eccentric older woman who never made it as an actor herself. Psychologist Alex Delaware is hired to evaluate Michaela in preparation for her trial for wasting police resources. When, weeks later, Michaela is murdered, Alex assists the cops with the investigation. The school, it seems, is a very dangerous place to enroll.

As
Temple
Apr 27, 2016 Temple rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Excellent read!!

I came across a Jonathan Kellerman novel that I hadn't read and don't know how I missed it. I read that one then decided to re-read the rest. They're just as good the second time around, but this one was magical.
Kathy
Dec 06, 2009 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There are many books in Jonathan Kelleman’s series featuring Alex Delaware (psychologist) and Milo Sturgis (detective). I felt that “Gone” lacked the character development to keep the reader interested. I like forensic details and psychological motivations, but without connection with characters, the book begins to bore me.

Bottom line, this audio book is rather forgettable. It is a story about naive young people who go to Hollywood hoping to become stars, about a dysfunctional family who prey o
Debra
Sep 04, 2012 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audio
Listened to this book because of a patron's complaint. This would not normally be my cup of tea. The book was a nicely written crime novel with nice touches of character description. I admit that I didn't figure out "who-dun-it" until right before the reveal.

The interesting case is that the mix-up with the audio book involved the abridged version mixed in with the unabridged. When the abridged version ended I listened to the unabridged part that was included. I do not think I would have survived
Karen
Oct 08, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I've read by this author. I must admit that maybe I didn't give him a fair chance. The book just didn't suck me in right away, so whenever something more interesting came along, I read it first, then returned to "Gone." So I suppose that says something right there. The book did seem to improve in the last quarter, but maybe that's because I read it more or less straight through. If another of his books fell in my lap, I'd probably read it, or keep it in the car for "emerge ...more
Jim
Jan 13, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Gone," by Jonathan Kellerman, stars his two main characters, Milo Sturgis, gay detective inspector, and Alex Delaware, straight psychologist. At the start of this book a naive (and slightly dim-witted) pair of wannabe actors stage their own kidnapping to get attention from the world's media (and hopefully some juicy roles). They do this because they are sick of waiting tables, having decamped to Hollywood from the plane states to act.

When, a month after the incident, the girl turns up dead and
Sheri faulk
Picked up the playaway at the Library so I can listen while walking!

Now the incomparable team of psychologist Alex Delaware and homicide cop Milo Sturgis embark on their most dangerous excursion yet, into the dark places where risk runs high and blood runs cold.
It's a story tailor-made for the nightly news: Dylan Meserve and Michaela Brand, young lovers and fellow acting students, vanish on the way home from a rehearsal. Three days later, the two of them are found in the remote mountains of Mal
Perrin Pring
This is the second Alex Delaware book I've listened to, and it's going to be the last. I'll admit, I thought that about the first book, but when you get a audio book for free, it's hard to be super picky.

Set in LA, Gone follows Alex Delaware and his cop friend, Milo, as they search for answers in a young woman's killing. Per the usual with mystery novels, the young woman's murder turns out just to be the first in a long line of murders and lo and behold, there's a serial killer on the loose.

De
Carl Alves
In Gone, acting students Dylan and Michaela go missing. When they are appear again, they are bruised after claiming to have been kidnapped. This kidnapping claims turns out to be a hoax. The duo of Milo Sturgis and Alex Delaware come into the picture, Milo investigating and Delaware performing an evaluation of Michaela. Later Michaela turns up murdered, and the police immediately suspect Dylan. Naturally, Delaware gets involved in the search and aftermath as he often does.

Gone is one of the weak
Nicole
Apr 23, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Alex Delaware novel. I didn't know I was reading #20 in the long line of the series. Despite not knowing the characters or previous stories I really enjoyed this book. Nothing better than a good murder mystery and trying to find out who did it. I had a feeling of who the killer might be yet when I got to the end of the story the author threw a wrench in the works and it still left me surprised. Great story with interesting characters.
Aubrey
First off, I am no good at reviews so don't take this as a book-specific review and ignore my opinion ^^

I keep getting into the Alex Delaware series in a random order. Luckily it's fairly easy to read one when you haven't read the others, because the narrator does a good job of keeping you informed about all the regulars.

What I love most about this series is Milo Sturgis. He is such a great character (and the guy that reads for the audiobook does a great voice for Milo - exactly what I expected
Enni
Jun 28, 2010 Enni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Not to long ago I thought I would not continue to read anything from Jonathan Kellerman. I hadn't liked his previous books very much. But then I did buy another one and to my surprise it was a great read. He is back at the top of his game. I also really like that Robin is back! Yes I'm a sucker for those kind of things LOL. I'm thinking about buying the one that comes out this month in hardcover.
Judy
Feb 22, 2016 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always good to check in on Delaware and Sturgis. This book wasn't as good as some I've read, but I still like the way Kellerman writes. I do think that he might have edited this book more--it's a bit long. And I skipped over the long grisly description of the perpetrator's actions. But I was guessing who was responsible till the end, and that's what makes a good mystery!
Lewis Weinstein
I haven't read Jonathan Kellerman in a few years, but read many of his books before that. I'm looking forward to becoming re-acquainted with an old friend.

UPDATE 10/19 ... Dr. Delaware and Milo doing their thing. Maybe not the strongest in the series, maybe a little too gruesome for my taste, maybe some contorted detecting ... but still a good read.
Steven Loontjens
May 08, 2015 Steven Loontjens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
at first the book is a bit slow, a lot of information that comes your way. But once the mystery really settles, you just want to know who and why and what... a lot of twists and a lot of possible perpetrators.
Jonathan Kellerman's books are always a delight to read! One of my favorite authors!
Mary
Mar 24, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I like Alex and Milo and their mysteries. There is always strong dialogue and the juxtaposition of the psychologist's approach with the cop's approach is interesting and sometimes amusing. The crime and ending was weird and gory and hopefully totally fictional.
Roger
May 02, 2011 Roger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much talking in this book. Alex Delaware just gabs and gabs. When the best part of the book is his personal relationship with his two women, and the plot isn't as interesting as his personal life, it's a bad sign for a book...
Sherree
Jul 06, 2016 Sherree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
K, the ending of this book was so disturbing, I would give the story 5 stars. I have discovered that I will absolutely have to stop listening to these books, so I can skip over the parts that annoy me. Now I'm not only noticing the excessive detail provided about each character's appearance/clothing, but also the excessive detail about everything. Alan literally reads a police report word for word, and most of it is unnecessary or repetitive. Is there some page quota I don't know about? All of t ...more
Steve Chaput
Jan 07, 2015 Steve Chaput rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book in Kellerman's "Alex Delaware" series, featuring that psychologist and LAPD Detective Milo Sturgis. Alex is going through some personal problems of his own, so he's happy to take his mind off those by doing a psychological evaluation of would-be actress Michaela Brand. Caught staging a fake kidnapping, in hopes of getting publicity for their careers, with fellow hopeful Dylan Meserve the two are facing charges. Shortly after Michaela is found murdered and Dylan has disappeared. ...more
Tim
Feb 06, 2014 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK - the audio book of this novel kept me company on a couple of long drives and a few commutes. Very well read (sorry - can't remember the name of the actor who did it). The clues gradually accumulate, so there is no great revelation when the mystery is solved, but the book is no worse for this. Quietly amusing and reasonably engaging, characters who could only exist in America come together to pass 9 or so hours very well.

The hero is a psychologist who solves crimes with the aid of his wise cr
Taylor
Mar 12, 2013 Taylor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Can't really get into this. I've hears that it's pretty good but I just... not my cup of tea. Might try it again later.
Jaime
Jun 12, 2014 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Alex Delaware novel. I must say I wasn’t impressed. There was a chapter in it that was really good, which made me wonder why the rest of the book had so little action and building of suspense. He’s a good writer and I really enjoyed The Murder Book, but I was disappointed with this one. It began, went on, had the whole subplot thing that he does, and then didn’t seem to go anywhere. It was like reading 450 pages of the beginning of a book with no suspense being built. In writin ...more
Sandra
May 08, 2008 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Jan 07, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this mystery series starring Alex Delaware (psychologist) and Milo Sturgis (LAPD) who work together to solve murder cases.

This one is another great read.
It is about two young acting students who stage a kidnapping in the woods. This turns out to be a hoax - until a few days later when the woman turns up dead. The case turns up a whole host of other sordid crimes, dysfunctional family stories, and murder.

If you are looking for a great story, in-depth characters and a suspenseful c
Deborah Robb
This is an Alex Delaware mystery. The book opens with the rescue of a young woman who wanders onto the highway in front of a truck. Michaela leads the police to her boyfriend, Dylan, claiming they were carjacked and held for several days in a desolate area. Once the police start investigating, it is discovered to be a hoax. Alex Delaware does consulting work for the police and examines Michaela as part of the investigation which is how he gets involved. Shortly thereafter, Michaela ends up dead, ...more
Joaquin Garza
Ah, el hard-boiled fiction… Otro de los grandes subgéneros industriales de hoy en día. En el marco de un asesinato añádase al detective una falla personal, un cierto número de demonios personales y una vida aburrida y odiosa y sobretodo, desenmascárese el crimen con toda su brutal realidad y tenemos a toda una escuela. Jonathan Kellerman y Jeff Deaver son dos de los más contemporáneos aquí.

Esta novela, trepidante en serio, es un misterio que involucra los aspectos más desgraciados de los pobres
  • The Burnt House (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #16)
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • Hideout (Richard Chrisite, #5)
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t
More about Jonathan Kellerman...

Alex Delaware (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Blood Test (Alex Delaware, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)