Start by marking “The Love Affairs of a Bibliomaniac” as Want to Read:
The Love Affairs of a Bibliomaniac

The Love Affairs of a Bibliomaniac

Never, however, have I wholly ceased to regret the loss of the Elzevir, for an Elzevir is to me one of the most gladdening sights human eye can rest upon. In his life of the elder Aldus, Renouard says: "How few are there of those who esteem and pay so dearly for these pretty editions who know that the type that so much please them are the work of Francis Garamond, who cast ...more
Published September 8th 2008 by Tutis Digital Pub

Debbie Zapata
Sep 19, 2016 Debbie Zapata rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gutenberg
I wanted to like this book. I expected to like this book. And I ended up being bored enough to merely skim through most of this book.

This is the final work by author and poet Eugene Field, best known for his children's rhymes such as Winken, Blinken, and Nod; The Duel (between the Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat); Little Boy Blue; and others.

According to the introduction, written by the author's brother, Field was in poor health while working on the book and used all his energy to finish, dying
Betty
Nov 05, 2011 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Book lovers
A delightful book written on Field's deathbed. He is a book lover in the truest sense; he loves reading them, he loves the entertainment, information, adventure, romance and travels which they provide, but more than all this, he adores his books, the touch, the smell, the feel and the luxury of them. In this little book we meet his 'lovers' and the friends who had the same propensity for books he had. Fields' first 'love', around age 6, was The New England Primer. From this little gem, he harves ...more
Kevin
This is the history of a true book lover. In each chapter, Field describes a moment in his life when he fell in love with a specific book and how it affected his life. He also blamed his love of books for his baldness.

"I would rather be a poor man in a garret with plenty of books than a king who did not love reading."
Carmen
Feb 09, 2014 Carmen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, bio
Una obrita muy entretenida, especialmente para quienes también "padecemos" la enfermedad del libro.
El comienzo del libro es muy ameno, y es fácil reconocerse en la descripción del bibliómano, en la historia que Field nos narra sobre sus propios inicios como lector. Es la mejor parte de la obra, en mi opinión.
El resto de la obra, si bien tiene destellos ocasionales y muchas de sus frases merecen destacarse, presenta dos obstáculos para el lector, especialmente para el de lengua española:

- Hay num
Judy
An 1896 volume of this book called to me. I'd never read anything by Field but I've wanted to do so. The word "Bibliomaniac" was in the title; and it only cost a quarter, all of which were selling points. It didn't hurt that the book is like new, and "feels good" to hold.

At first, I thought this was autobiographical, but on Wikipedia, I learned that after the death of his mother when he was six years old, Eugene Field was raised by a cousin in Massachusetts. The narrator in the story was also or
Cassandra
Dec 22, 2016 Cassandra marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Quoted in "The Man Who Loved Books Too Much" by Allison Bartlett
Carolina CC
Dec 07, 2016 Carolina CC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quien está enamorado de los libros, quien puede tardar horas en una librería, quien disfruta más de comprar libros que ropa, disfrutará "Los amores de un bibliómano". El personaje principal, un coleccionista de libros del siglo XIX describe las razones para poner una librería, el valor estético y de conocimiento de los libros. Para muestra una cita, donde se intuye el tipo de vocabulario y la narrativa de tan lido libro:

"Peregrinantur? Desde luego lo libros comparten nuestras peregrinaciones, es
Elizabeth
Jul 19, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
There wasn't much new here (I think I may finally be reaching a saturation point in terms of reading these memoirs) but I found what it had to offer interesting and fun to read nonetheless. Field was one of the earlier book-lover/memoirists, and this recollection of his life of bookish pursuits was published posthumously. It's notable for a few things. First, he ties his lifelong obsession with books to a single volume (The New England Primer) from his youth. He brings the formative role of this ...more
Tim Goebel
Sep 02, 2013 Tim Goebel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
A book for book lovers, by a book lover.

This is a wonderfully delightful book that lovingly needles the dedication, and foibles, of bibliomaniacs (and all that that name entails).

Humorous, amiable, exceedingly charming; many a "serious" book lover will see themselves dryly reflected in the chapters of this final work by the author/poet (written slightly before his death in 1895).
Kevin
Some of the chapters I liked better then others because I knew the books Field was talking about, other chapters went over my head as I had no knowledge of the people or books but all and all it was an interesting, humorous and sometimes strangely familiar feeling to the way I feel about books. If you like "The Haunted Bookshop" I'm sure that you will find much to like here.
Barbara Justiniano
Saw this book while perusing Amazon and decided to buy it. The book is quite entertaining, has some wonderful poetry relating to books quoted in verse, and many interesting stories as told from a self professed bibliomaniac. Overall an enjoyable quick read.
Jossalyn
Sep 23, 2015 Jossalyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
delightful little whimsy from a writer of nonsense, about loving books. Has some of my favorite book quotes.
Peter
Feb 19, 2015 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Field waxes euphoric about his overwhelming passion for books and reading. Much of the 19th Century prose was too florid for my tastes, but the book still had some great moments.
William H. Grimball, III
NEAR MISS

Field's sense of humor is partially buried beneath a welter of dropped names. Time has passed, and we no longer who some of these people were.
Melissa
Dec 08, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I'm uncharacteristically susceptible right now because I'm hardly half way through this intoxicating assemblage of words and I'm in love.
Andie
Aug 08, 2016 Andie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious, witty quick read in which Field discusses the books that have had a large impact on him, as well as shows us why it's better to have "affairs" with books rather than with women.
Marissa
Jul 30, 2012 Marissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, this is generally the sort of thing I like whether it's well-written or not, but I'm afraid I just found Mr. Field rather irritating and affected. :/
Daniel Saralegi
Daniel Saralegi rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Rebecca Grace
Rebecca Grace rated it it was ok
Oct 04, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
May 14, 2009
Elena
Elena rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Rocky Crocker
Rocky Crocker rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2013
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Biblia Fyle
Biblia Fyle rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2010
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2013
begoña ml.
begoña ml. rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Sofia
Sofia rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2015
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2011
Avis Black
Avis Black rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Nabokov's Butterfly: And Other Stories of Great Authors and Rare Books
  • The Anatomy of Bibliomania
  • The Book History Reader
  • Warmly Inscribed: The New England Forger and Other Book Tales
  • Among the Gently Mad: Strategies and Perspectives for the Book-Hunter in the 21st Century
  • Theodore Roosevelt's Letters to His Children
  • Letters From the Emily Dickinson Room
  • A Pound of Paper: Confessions of a Book Addict
  • Letters from the Dust Bowl
  • No Time on My Hands

“All good and true book-lovers practice the pleasing and improving avocation of reading in bed ... No book can be appreciated until it has been slept with and dreamed over.” 125 likes
“Not so, however, with books, for books cannot change. A thousand years hence they are what you find them to-day, speaking the same words, holding forth the same cheer, the same promise, the same comfort; always constant, laughing with those who laugh and weeping with those who weep.” 6 likes