Endgame

Endgame

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  6,249 ratings  ·  193 reviews
'Endgame is a one-act play with four characters. It was originally written in French as Fin de partie. As was his custom, Beckett translated it into English. Published in '57, it's one of his most important works. Its protagonists are Hamm, an aged blind master who cannot stand, & his servant Clov, who cannot sit. They exist in a tiny house by the sea, tho dialog sugge...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 1957)

Trevor
Mar 30, 2012 Trevor rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Trevor by: Madalyn
Shelves: literature
My youngest daughter took me to see this during the week. We had our first beer together prior to the performance in a pub – a highly significant moment for a father, obviously, especially here in the land of Oz, the land of the amber fluid.

Then a minute ago I read the Wiki article on this play. I wanted to be sure it was written post-WW2. You see, it is so obviously a post-nuclear war play that I would have been very disappointed if it had been written in 1922 or something. You know, the way TS...more
Greg Talbot
Unless it's Shakespeare, never read a play without some type of textual notes. Having read “Waiting for Godot” and now “Endgame”, I'm familiar with Samuel Beckett's minimalist approach. He emphasizes silences, physical positions and stage props. All of this is to say, Beckett is probably best translated to the plays (as intended), but trekking through textual notes gave me a deep appreciation for this play. The first time I read the play it took me under an hour, but I really didn't get it. The...more
Emily
I read this in English, for my British Lit class this semester. I thought I should actually start reading the assignments, and I read this after reading The Power and the Glory and Regeneration.

My professor said this piece would be slow moving, and he said something about it not really have a plot, but I could see one if I squinted. I actually really enjoyed this piece. And because I took notes on it for my class, I have a lot to say.

One of the biggest things, is obviously that it represents a...more
Yasiru (Don't register a new account at all- grievances concerning censorship are now censored!)
I read this in English at http://samuel-beckett.net/endgame.html, glad that Beckett provided the translation himself (of passing curiosity is that Wilde's Salome, another play translated by the author from the original French, lately impressed me also). Spoilers of a sort may follow, but this is not the kind of work where these might be summarily unwelcome.

This is a claustrophobic play, stark for all the clutter of its setting (being in one act), and very effectively conveys a slow spiral toward...more
Hamid Hasanzadeh
"هام : توی خونه ی من . یه روز کور میشی مثل من . اون جا می شینی ، عین نقطه ای تو خلا ، تو تاریکی ، برای همیشه ، مثل من . یه روزی به خودت میگی خسته ام . می خوام بشینم ، بعد میری و می شینی . بعد میگی ، گرسنه ام ، بلند می شم و یه چیزی برای خوردن بر می دارم . اما بلند نمی شی و هیچ چیزی برای خوردن بر نمی داری . کمی به دیوار نگاه می کنی ، بعد می گی ، نباید می نشستم ، کمی بیشتر می شینم ، بعد بلند می شم و یه چیزی برای خوردن برمی دارم . اما بلند نمی شی و هیچی برای خوردن برنمی داری . کمی به دیوار نگاه می ک...more
John Molina
This is my second time reading Samuel Beckett's play "Endgame" and I must say that I am a lot more impressed with it this second go around. I read it for a British Literature class last year and didn't get the point of it. The play seemed to center on nothingness and the play had no discernible plot or development of characters. After reading it again, I've come to the conclusion that that is the point of the entire work. Beckett has his characters argue endlessly and change their minds about w...more
Hossein
دست آخر را كه همان اول باخته اي بازي كن و باختني را بباز
اگر مي توانستم بخوابم، شايد مي توانستم ... شايد مي توانستم برم توي جنگل، آن وقت شايد مي توانستم زمين و آسمان را ... ببينم، شايد مي توانستم بدوم ... بدوم و كسي نتواند مرا بگيرد
آره بدبختي مضحك ترين چيز دنياست، ما هم هي مي خنديم، ... هي مي خنديم، اولش مي دونيم به چي مي خنديم ... اما هميشه همون يك چيزه

آثار بکت تصاویری از ازفرسایش ارائه می دهند که درآن جهان و افرادی که درآن زندگی می کنند به آرامی،اما به ناگزیر روبه افول می روند.در این سقوط م...more
Emilian Kasemi
HAMM : Nella mia casa. (Pausa. Profetico e con voluttà) Un giorno sarai cieco. Come me. Sarai seduto in qualche luogo, un piccolo pieno perduto nel vuoto. per sempre, nel buio. Come me. (Pausa). Un giorno dirai a te stesso, Sono stanco, vado a sedermi, e andrai a sederti.
Poi dirai a te stesso, Ho fame, ora mi alzo e mi preparo da mangiare. Ma non ti alzerai. Dirai a te stesso, Ho fatto male a sedermi, ma visto che mi sono seduto resterò seduto ancora un poco, poi mi alzerò e mi preparerò da mang...more
Reza speed
هام : طبیعت ما رو فراموش کرده
کلاو : دیگه طبیعتی نیست .
هام : دیگه طبیعتی نمونده ؟! غلو می کنی .
کلاو : این طرفا
هام : اما ما که نفس می کشیم و تغییر می کنیم ! موها و دندونامونو از دست می دیم ! تازگی مونو ! آرزوهامونو !
کلاو : پس ما رو فراموش نکرده
هام : اما تو گفتی چیزی نمونده .
کلاو : { با اندوه } هیچ کسی نبوده که زندگی کرده باشه . فکرم کرده باشه و مثل ما راه رو عوضی بره .
هام : ما هر کاری از دستمون بر می یاد می کنیم .
کلاو : نباید بکنیم .

این نمایش نامه شاهکاریه خوندنی
Erik Graff
May 09, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Beckett fans
Recommended to Erik by: College Theatre professor
Shelves: drama
Grinnell College had a creative arts requirement which I fulfilled by taking Theatre during the freshman year. Our instructor, a late middle-aged alcoholic, ranged from apathy to enthusiasm. The former aspect was doubtless expressed in his assignment of Beckett's Endgame while the latter was evinced by his production of the entirety of Goethe's Faust.
Mehrad
چی می شه گفت؟ بکت فوق العاده ست. طنزش منو یاد سزیف می ندازه. ولی بر خلاف کامو زبان بکت چند پهلو هست. اون چیزی رو به طور قطع بیان نمی کنه. اون غروب رو بهت نشون می ده، اما نمی گه این منظره غمگینه یا شاد.
Arash Pandi
Jul 09, 2010 Arash Pandi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone that is confused basically!
توضیحات مقدمه ی کتاب بسیار مفیده ولی چیزی که منو خیلی جذب کرد شک و عدم قطعییتی بود که در کل نمایشنامه موج می زد. مرزی بین شوخی و سخن جد وجود نداره . به طرز زیبایی شرح حال جوان امروز رو نشون میده
Jessica
Aug 04, 2007 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: those seeking an impossible departure.
"how does one advance a pawn?"

a must-read. i love the use of spacious pauses and silence that must be even more compelling on the stage.

Jessica Day
I found myself seriously at odds the other day, distraught after watching the film Endgame. This film, directed by Conor McPherson, really touched me in a way I have never been touched before. While I enjoyed the play, it was not nearly as effective as the film.
Samuel Beckett wrote Endgame in 1956, originally in French. However he later translated it, along with his other plays, into English. The play opens with Hamm and Clov, two men living in a bomb shelter. Hamm is blind and cannot stand, thu...more
Lachlan Smith
"Endgame", by Samuel Beckett, is a very witty, absurd and ambiguous play written in the style of The Theatre of the Absurd. It is very interesting, as it cannot easily be explained and is very much open to interpretation.
It focuses on only four characters - Clov, Hamm, Nagg and Nell. Each of them has some kind of disability that they rely on the other to compensate for - Hamm cannot walk nor see, so Clov acts as a servant. Clov cannot sit, so in a way Hamm compensates for that. Nagg and Nell, h...more
Núria
En lugar de terminar de una vez por todas 'Malone muere', decidí empezar otro libro de Beckett, 'Fin de partida'. Me costó sólo una mañana terminarlo, pero esto tampoco tiene mérito porque es una otra de teatro que no llega a las 100 páginas. Después, he intentado otra vez terminar 'Malone muere', pero la cosa se ha hecho imposible. Creo que ya lo dejo definitivamente por imposible.

'Fin de partida' no es tan brillante ni perfecto como 'Esperando a Godot', pero es que para mí pocos libros pueden...more
Juan Pablo
"¡Ah, las preguntas de siempre, las respuestas de siempre, son las mejores!" (Hamm, p.43)

"Es raro que no se haya sido hermoso... en otro tiempo." (Clov, p.47)

"La infinitud del vacío te rodeará, los muertos de todos los tiempos, resucitados, no lo llenarán y serán como una piedrecita en medio de la estepa." (Hamm, p.41)

El libro es sumamente deprimente. Los personajes viven en un ambiente absolutamente desolado. No hay ninguna esperanza, simplemente porque nunca hay cambio: cada día está condenado...more
Hugo Resendiz
Una obra muy fascinante, que muchos críticos han catalogado como una metáfora ajedrecística. Hamm y Clove son amo y sirviente, es el que se niega a morir y el que quiere irse de su vida actual. Son piezas de ajedrez en un mundo vacio, de ahí el nombre de la obra referente al juego con pocas piezas. Es una obra con un estilo que creo que ha influenciado a muchos dramaturgos contemporáneos, en el estilo de actuación muy diferente al teatro clásico, incluso, podría decirse que ortodoxo, en su época...more
Mike
I first read this right before seeing it performed at the Steppenwolf Theater, and didn't catch just how funny it is. Seeing it performed was an amazing experience (my second time of hopefully many more at the Steppenwolf) and radically changed the way I think about this play. I sometimes have a tendency to champion Beckett the man (great friend of Joyce) and Beckett the literary figure (subtraction!) more than Beckett's actual work, but this play is truly excellent.
David Williamson
'Endgame' is the refusal to relinquish life, even if it is filled with nothing, boredorm, pain, etc. The way a bad chess player refuses to concede when he has clearly lost, and dithers over every move in the vain hope he will find a solution that history has failed to do so.

The point of defferal where existence only continues through its own repetition and death. The point where activity becomes defunct, unorigional and painful.
matt

Read this in college, years ago. It was on a friend's recommendation- just a passing comment which made me decide to check it out. Sometimes it's fun to read something which someone you know well liked, so to do a sort of sleuthing around their possible impressions of the text. While reading you sort of try to get a sense of what their experience was like, how they might have reacted.

Am I weird, or does anybody else do that?
It could be condensed into a single sentence, Hamm would say, "I want to die." And that would be that, there would be no need of ladders, telescopes, or three-legged dogs. After reading this you'll need to go outside, walk around in the sunshine for a little bit to shake off all the bleakness.

Old endgame lost of old, play and lose and have done with losing.
Ahmed Azimov
سكون وانعدام للزمن كما هو الحال دائما مع بيكت

شخصيات توصف بالحركه بينما هي ساكنة تماما ، مكان مغلق ( انعزال ) ، عدم ، عبث

جدان كسيحان في صندوقي قمامه الى يسار المسرح ، اب متجبر ، وصغير خادم

" لكن فكّر فكّر ، انت على الأرض ولاعلاج لذلك "

وكما أظن فإن نهاية اللعبه أفضل بكثير من " في انتظار جودو " وربما الافضل لصامويل على الاطلاق
Emily
Apr 21, 2007 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Everyone
While I read this in French last year, I can imagine that the English version is just as good. Samuel Beckett was Irish and write in English, German, and French. This play is full of black humour but humour just the same...I love it!
Alaa
It took me an hour and a half to finish it...very simple..very interesting as well.
It Represents this ugly reality we live in ,the deterioration and the suffering off humans in a symbolic and a clever way..
Bogdan Liviu
Emil Cioran era prieten cu Samuel Beckett, acum inteleg si de ce. O opera de arta perfecta.
Aqeela Ali
The more nonsense it makes the more sense it makes! I like this~
Natheer Malkawi
يا للأسماء الكبيرة التي تلاحقنا دائمًا. صموئيل بيكيت أحد تلك الأسماء التي أقرأ عنها في كل مكان؛ لذا لم أتوانى لحظة عن قراءة المسرحية حين وجدتها في مكتبة الجامعة، آملًا أن تكون تجربة جيدة.

ربّما الخطأ فيّ، إذ لم أفهم شيئًا من المسرحيّة. 4 شخصيّات كلها ميؤوس منها، لا أمل يرتجى في أن يصلُح وضعها. على أنني أحب السوداوية، إلا أنها كانت مكثفة بشكل أفقدها منطقيتها. عدى عن الحوارات المفكّكة التي اضطرتني لإعادة الكثير من الصفحات لأفهم كلمة واحدة فقط دون فائدة.

لا أقول أن المسرحية سيئة، وأعتقد أنها ستعجب ا...more
David Sarkies
Apr 13, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Modernists
Recommended to David by: SBS (Special Broadcasting Service)
Shelves: modernist
One of the interesting things that I find about Beckett's plays is that he resists the temptation to offer any interpretation to what is going on within the play, or what the play is about. In fact he seems to do completely the opposite in actually denying certain interpretations (while not actually offering any reason as to what it is about). For instance, when asked if Godot is supposed to be God, his response is no, and asking whether Endgame is set in a post-apocalyptic world, once again hi...more
§--
Sep 16, 2009 §-- rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Nihilists
Shelves: plays
This is a tough one to understand, never mind review. Not much really happens--there is only one act--except that Clov the slave leaves Hamm the blind, seated master for a small boy and Nell dies. I have to admit that a lot of the dialogue--like in Waiting for Godot--made no sense to me and certain pages seemed to have been written by a crazy man. I suppose there is some coherence to this little play--it means that all is meaningless; it means that it is meaningless.

And indeed there are a couple...more
  • The Balcony
  • The Birthday Party
  • The Zoo Story and Other Plays
  • The Bald Soprano and Other Plays
  • Six Characters in Search of an Author
  • A Dream Play
  • The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade
  • Look Back in Anger
  • Mother Courage and Her Children
  • Complete Plays
  • Four Major Plays: A Doll's House / Ghosts / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • The Playboy of the Western World
  • Travesties
  • Seven Plays: Buried Child / Curse of the Starving Class / The Tooth of Crime / La Turista / Tongues / Savage Love / True West
  • The Theatre of the Absurd
Samuel Barclay Beckett was an Irish avant-garde novelist, playwright, theatre director, and poet, who lived in France for most of his adult life. He wrote in both English and French. His work offers a bleak, tragicomic outlook on human nature, often coupled with black comedy and gallows humour.

Beckett is widely regarded as among the most influential writers of the 20th century. Strongly influenced...more
More about Samuel Beckett...
Waiting for Godot Endgame & Act Without Words Molloy, Malone Dies, The Unnamable Krapp's Last Tape & Embers Happy Days

“The end is in the beginning and yet you go on.” 152 likes